Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My job is really hard physically which is great for my body but it's made it hard to get into high minded stuff, so I've been running through some early adulthood favorites lately. I'm glad they still hold up

A short list of the last week and a half:

Neuromancer
The wind-up girl
The wind-up bird chronicles
Raw shark texts
American gods

I tried reading wise man's fear because I thought it couldn't be as bad as I remember and uh its worse its real bad folks

I think I'm gonna go back farther and read the bartimaeus trilogy next because drat at 10? years old I thought those books slapped hard. After that I'll probably read some John Grisham because it was one of the few things I bonded with my grandfather over before he passed.

I should break down and read neuromamcer. I have been putting that off for like over 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I'm one of those weirdos who thinks the entire sprawl trilogy is amazing.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

beer pal

reading virginia woolf the wavves, fantastic so far

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

ulvir

woolf owns

big ol horse
Rereading Mary Karr's memoirs. The first time around, I enjoyed Liar's Club and Lit, but couldn't get into Cherry. I'm pretty sure I stopped reading when (describing masturbation) she said something like "the horse between my legs was off, galloping away". I was bored enough to give it a second go, and if you ignore the :rolleyes: way she writes about sex, the stories about her friends are worth reading. My favourite moments/people are her weird friend climbing naked up a flagpole, her friend Doonie with a pillowcase full of drugs and a used car lot named S&M Motors, and going to a run down juke joint on acid and meeting a go go dancer with a rotting eye and a man who can't stop introducing himself.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Reading Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty. It's about her experiences as a 23-year-old crematory operator. Excellent so far.

take the moon

by sebmojo
wanted to bump this, been reading abunch. naked lunch for like the 10th time, but i also really, really liked ice by anna kevan (?) which was just dank. total feels hit. i also read her asylum piece which was chill. basically i wanna read whatever by her i can get my hands on now

started and gave up on to sleep among the stars by the eragon guy, which seemed to be just generic hostile first contact xenos coming to kill us all and i couldnt get into the stakes. for some reason started dead astronauts by van der meer without knowing it was the 2nd book. im enjoying it a bunch tho. i have a bunch of sff on my list.

i read a bunch of gibson and falkner stories but i dont think i finished the respective collections. every time i try to read count zero my eyes glaze over the character who is like a freelance magazine writer and some guy who is on a yacht talking about some poo poo. i have tried that book so many times, i think last time i stopped at the street gang who dressed like vampires and called themselves the draculas. falkner is dank tho when his stories arent about pranks. i need like a bit of weight like a church on fire or someone dying.

oh lol mc i saw ur post. yea fight me on the sprawl. im sure its actually good but lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

slowm

live slow, die whenevs
i'm reading The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. so far it's not that great, too much talk talk. hopefully it will heat up.

beer pal

ive been not reading much due to moving related stress but very slowly reading love in the time of cholera which i picked up bc i liked 100 years of solitude a lot. this one seems ok but im not loving it

3D Megadoodoo

I read Tom Sawyer Abroad and it's a bit on the racist side. I like the poo poo ending tho.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

take the moon posted:

oh lol mc i saw ur post. yea fight me on the sprawl. im sure its actually good but lol

Count zero is the weakest of the three, but some of the world building pays off in Mona Lisa Overdrive which has the coolest "holy poo poo" moment that connects back to Neuromancer, making all three of the books equally necessary.

now if you want a real fight gibson has never written a bad book. even the one about the designer jeans :colbert:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

magic cactus posted:

Count zero is the weakest of the three, but some of the world building pays off in Mona Lisa Overdrive which has the coolest "holy poo poo" moment that connects back to Neuromancer, making all three of the books equally necessary.

now if you want a real fight gibson has never written a bad book. even the one about the designer jeans :colbert:

Zero History is weak, but still a Gibson book so I'll allow it

Finger Prince

I just read the first discworld novel. That was fun, I want to read more. I need a new library card because there's a lot of them and it could end up very costly buying them all.

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

I just read the first discworld novel. That was fun, I want to read more. I need a new library card because there's a lot of them and it could end up very costly buying them all.

The series massively improves, too. For me, Guards! Guards! is where the seriess really kicks off.
Some of the "gimmicky" books are a bit meh but I still like them.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
I'm about half way through David Copperfield. Kinda cool that the audio book is on youtube, so I'm able to swap between reading and listening at my pleasure :smug:

take the moon

by sebmojo

okiedoke posted:

I'm about half way through David Copperfield. Kinda cool that the audio book is on youtube, so I'm able to swap between reading and listening at my pleasure :smug:

i did this with blood meridian. finally finished it and it was dank

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I've been reading Švejk because I got it for 1€ at the flea market. It's a bit different than the 1975 radio play I used to listen to off cassettes as a kid. I like it - the best war book I've ever read. (I don't really read war books.)

Josef Lada's illustrations always remind me of my dad. When he'd had a stroke and was in hospital we brought him his old copy of the book and he very painstakingly scrawled "PHYSICAL THERAPIST" and "ME" over the characters in this picture:

ulvir

as many people as humanly possible deserve the joy of experiencing Proust

take the moon

by sebmojo
preparing for octavia butler/ursula k summer by reading kindred& ill prolly try the earthsea books again after

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading Super-Cannes and I'm beginning to thing this J.G. Ballard character might be some kind of CREEP!

nut

I haven't read fiction in forever but I've been re-reading Omon Ra and it's very funny and good still

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm reading Super-Cannes and I'm beginning to thing this J.G. Ballard character might be some kind of CREEP!

I read a couple Ballard books, including the semi-autobio one, and he is weird. War really fucks people up.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

beer pal

ulvir posted:

as many people as humanly possible deserve the joy of experiencing Proust

i found a copy of remembrance of things past pt 1 at the used book store a short while ago, looking forward to it

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

I read a couple Ballard books, including the semi-autobio one, and he is weird. War really fucks people up.

I saw the war kid movie back when and never realized it was based on Ballard's novel, until I Binged him after starting to read Super-Cannes.

I don't hate the book but I feel like I'll be glad to finish it. Next up: a non-fiction book about parasites :can:

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I saw the war kid movie back when and never realized it was based on Ballard's novel, until I Binged him after starting to read Super-Cannes.

I don't hate the book but I feel like I'll be glad to finish it. Next up: a non-fiction book about parasites :can:

Parasitic worms? Parasitic insects? Parasitic fungus? All of them?
Parasitic worms even look horrifying. eeeeesh

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Parasitic worms? Parasitic insects? Parasitic fungus? All of them?
Parasitic worms even look horrifying. eeeeesh

I don't know yet! The title translates to "Endless Parasites".

Spoilered for drawings of ???

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 16, 2021

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know yet! The title translates to "Endless Parasites".

Spoilered for drawings of ???

Cool!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Just some light reading

3D Megadoodoo

Pleiadian Light posted:

Just some light reading

Looks like someone really got their teeth into the top one.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Looks like someone really got their teeth into the top one.

Yea, you know birds

3D Megadoodoo

Pleiadian Light posted:

Yea, you know birds

But, do I really?

3D Megadoodoo

OK I gotta post this, it's tangentially related to book. I looked up the writer of the parasite book and he spent time on Madagascar studying the poops of these guys:

wimsy

Books are good

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK I gotta post this, it's tangentially related to book. I looked up the writer of the parasite book and he spent time on Madagascar studying the poops of these guys:

Lemurs are so cute until they start throwing stink bombs at you

Crusader

i just read jack kirby's omac

https://i.imgur.com/2kLkHbM.mp4

:wq

Doll House Ghost

Halfway through Richard Powers' The Overstory, and I don't know man. He writes well but every one of these 10 main characters sound the same and I'm starting to find it a slog. There's no rhythm or quiet sections to this book, it's very 110% full steam ahead and florid as hell all the time. I've read a lot of praise for the book but maybe it's not for me. Maybe I should've read it translated, I also do not have the required biology vocabulary in English I think.

take the moon

by sebmojo
e: wrong thread, im reading foucault rn tho

----------------

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Finished "Axiom's End" by Lindsay Ellis. A neat take on the alien invasion concept, told strictly through the POV of our young Latinx woman tagged by one of the aliens as a translator. It's got a lot of neat bits about context and nuance and language but it's also just a good little sci-fi action yarn. Nice debut novel.

Started "Providence" by Max Berry and I guess I thought it was Max Brooks when I picked it up so no oral history in this but a bit of flexible prose that swings between second and third person narrative. Oh and it's about aliens taking over a space station (I think?)

3D Megadoodoo

Haven't read it yet but just bought a book by Elie Wiesel that was marked at 1,50€, probably because someone had scrawled their name on the front leaf in large letters, with a biro.

I'm about 100% certain that someone was Elie Wiesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Haven't read it yet but just bought a book by Elie Wiesel that was marked at 1,50€, probably because someone had scrawled their name on the front leaf in large letters, with a biro.

I'm about 100% certain that someone was Elie Wiesel.

Which one?