Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I just finished Something that May Shock And discredit You!!!! I laughed! I cried! An incredible book!!! 📖<----- pretend that is a picture of the book I read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

SpaghettiArmstrong posted:

I just finished Something that May Shock And discredit You!!!! I laughed! I cried! An incredible book!!! 📖<----- pretend that is a picture of the book I read

Wow that's a small book!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
That book is really great, I gave it to some people when they had questions about trans stuff just because I think it's such a warm and capacious book.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

bad guy

i'm reading the moviegoer and it's super good, i would've given it a national book award too

nut

I'm reading this

but don't be fooled by its potentially overhyped pop sci title, it's a really enjoyable criticism of the internalization of capitalistic/neoliberal profits-before-people ethos in neuroscience, as well as a criticism to tons of brain research hype. The Roses are always a good read imo.

How Wonderful!

I have this and I want to read it

but I'm looking at the upcoming week and I'm probably not going to read anything that's not an undergrad paper or a comic book.

bad guy

i'm also reading wake: the hidden history of women-led slave revolts, which sounds like an academic or pop-history book but which is actually a nonfiction graphic memoir about/by a historian telling the story of them researching their diss on the issue. i am not a big fan of the art style but the story is very compelling. it's hard to make scholarship into a story, particularly an emotionally affecting one, but she does a really good job imo.

bad guy

How Wonderful! posted:

I have this and I want to read it

but I'm looking at the upcoming week and I'm probably not going to read anything that's not an undergrad paper or a comic book.

at first i thought each of those people had one weird claw but now i see it's the bird that has the claws

beer pal

im taking a break from swanns way (having some trouble getting into it tbqh, i like all the interpersonal stuff but long sequences of description of landscapes and my eyes start to glaze over, maybe i'm not in a patient enough mindset for it right now) and reading a collection of dostoyevsky short stories ive had probably since i was a teen and never read. looking forward to notes from the underground

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

beer pal posted:

looking forward to notes from the underground

I read that for the first time around the same age as kids read the catcher in the rye and it explains a lot of things about me, in hindsight. Great book though. You can really see where Taxi Driver cribbed its character notes from. Probably my favorite dostoyevsky work.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

bad guy

here's my problem with proust, he's not funny enough to write long books. if you write long books they either have to be super exciting like the count of monte cristo or they have to be funny like moby dick. a long solemn book is a slog. i like my solemnity quick and to the point. give me a nice solemn poem and i'm doing fine

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wow that's a small book!

It is big in my heart :)

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

My feeling about Proust so far: I love him while I'm reading him. But I have no desire to rush home in order to read him. Like, here I am shitposting about Proust instead of reading him.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
How Wonderful!

Like 70% of my time reading Proust was from just having a book by him in my bag and taking it out to read on the subway or waiting for my car to be inspected or in the dentist waiting room or wherever. Yeah I think if I just shut the door of my office and said begone I'm pondering the tomes of Proust I would lose patience but the prose is so dense and thick its perfect to just digest chunks of it in 10 minute increments.

Also bad guy's critique about him not being funny reminds me of this conversation I had with a guy maybe a decade ago who was one of the best writers I knew, and he said he hated reading Proust because there was no hardness to him at all, everything about his writing was so soft and yielding that there was no way to like, get INTO IT, to read it antagonistically or ram up against it or whatever. And I think both critiques are pretty true. Buying a Proust book is like buying a truly enormous pillow. I like truly enormous pillows though.

ulvir

I disagree that Proust isn’t funny, pretty much every volume has scenes that I’ve laughed loudly at :)

bad guy

ulvir posted:

I disagree that Proust isn’t funny, pretty much every volume has scenes that I’ve laughed loudly at :)

post one! this is not a challenge or anything, i would just love to be proven wrong and i like to laugh

bad guy

"funny scenes from proust" would be a good resource thread

ulvir

bad guy posted:

post one! this is not a challenge or anything, i would just love to be proven wrong and i like to laugh

i’ll have to push this to the weekend when I have the time to go back through them (and also to translate from norwegian or alternatively find the corresponding quote on gutenberg or w/e), but i’d love to

ulvir

here’s an example from the latter 2/3rds of Swann’s Way

Proust posted:

These little eccentricities on my grandfather's part implied no ill-will whatsoever towards my friends. But Bloch had displeased my family for other reasons. He had begun by annoying my father, who, seeing him come in with wet clothes, had asked him with keen interest:
"Why, M. Bloch, is there a change in the weather; has it been raining? I can't understand it; the barometer has been 'set fair.'"
Which drew from Bloch nothing more instructive than "Sir, I am absolutely incapable of telling you whether it has rained. I live so resolutely apart from physical contingencies that my senses no longer trouble to inform me of them."
"My poor boy," said my father after Bloch had gone, "your friend is out of his mind. Why, he couldn't even tell me what the weather was like. As if there could be anything more interesting! He is an imbecile."
Next, Bloch had displeased my grandmother because, after luncheon, when she complained of not feeling very well, he had stifled a sob and wiped the tears from his eyes.
"You cannot imagine that he is sincere," she observed to me. "Why he doesn't know me. Unless he's mad, of course."
And finally he had upset the whole household when he arrived an hour and a half late for luncheon and covered with mud from head to foot, and made not the least apology, saying merely: "I never allow myself to be influenced in the smallest degree either by atmospheric disturbances or by the arbitrary divisions of what is known as Time. I would willingly reintroduce to society the opium pipe of China or the Malayan kriss, but I am wholly and entirely without instruction in those infinitely more pernicious (besides being quite bleakly bourgeois) implements, the umbrella and the watch."

How Wonderful!

I'll admit I have a pretty high bar for actually laughing out loud at a book. I think I read in a pretty staid way. The last time I really laughed laughed laughed at a book was We Both Laughed in Pleasure, Lou Sullivan's diaries, but even those were mostly laughs of recognition.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I feel like 95% of the time I laugh at a book it's like the dryest humor imaginable. Like a guy talking about how he hopes he doesn't get wet and then it's raining outside or something dumb.

bad guy

ulvir posted:

here’s an example from the latter 2/3rds of Swann’s Way

lol you're right that is straight up funny. maybe i need to have a better attitude

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Finally finished Delilo's Underworld and I was underwhelmed.

Such a long book for this to be the ending? A series of narratives all about Life in America. Yeesh.

Started Consensual Hex by Amanda Harlowe and it's a bit cringe with the modern references that really date the book but a nice modern update on The Craft Goes to College story

bad guy

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

it's got a great opening scene and then immediately becomes pretty darn bad imo. it's no white noise. not even a mao II.

bad guy

he should of called it underwhelmed instead of underworld

3D Megadoodoo

I bought it because what with the name and the title I thought it was about crime. I guess I was hoisted by my own racism!

nut

I don’t need to read the book I watched all the movies

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading Sven Delblanc's "Prästkappan" ("Priest's Robe" or something) which is a historical novel and possibly a picaresque but mostly I don't really know what it is and I'm on page 148.

I guess it's a good sign I'm keen to find out what happens.

beer pal

im reading remains of the day now, pretty enjoyable so far

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Finger Prince posted:

I fuckin hated that book. It is 1000% full of its own fart smelling. I think it's the only book I ever read that when I got to the end I was actually upset that the author would be so blatantly smug and up his own arse. It's also the only book I ever stopped to leave a negative review for, and I never leave reviews for poo poo. So I guess it is powerful, but maybe not in the way the author intended.

I kinda want to read Obama's latest memoirs (a promised land), but it's still like $18.99 on kindle, and while that's probably a bargain.... Ehhhh....

:eyepop:

Finger Prince

Great now I'm thinking of that book and mad again. It's the book equivalent of a lousy lay that just nuts ineffectually on your stomach after a few pumps and a tedious attempt at foreplay and then tells you how much you loved it and how much he rocked your world.

3D Megadoodoo

Starting Sabatini's Captain Blood. Dunno what it's going to be like but I'm expecting my swashes to become buckled.

According to the inscription it was given to my father on his name day when he was 13. When I was 13 I only read fantasy poo poo and murder mysteries.

e: Oh cool cool this Sabatini guy thinks black people are animals, and also does the thing where he explain what's happening as it's happening, before it happens, and after it's happened. You might think that's what story-telling is? No! I mean yes, but not like this:

quote:

Little did Captain Blood know he was going to meet the lovely Isabella on the road, and greet her. He met the lovely Isabella on the road. "Hullo", he said. On the road, he had met the lovely Isabella and said "Hullo" to her.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2021

beer pal

i just finished reading hurricane season by fernanda melchor, i thought it was very good! its very heavy subject matter, loved the writing style - no paragraphs very long sentences and wandering narrative, it reminded me of the one faulkner book ive read, the sound and the fury

take the moon

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Oh cool cool this Sabatini guy thinks black people are animals, and also does the thing where he explain what's happening as it's happening, before it happens, and after it's happened. You might think that's what story-telling is? No! I mean yes, but not like this:

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

3D Megadoodoo

I did NOT mean it's actually cool.

take the moon

by sebmojo
no i know i was loling at ur example. its def egregious

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I just got this in:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Consensual Hex by Amanda Harlowe and it's a bit cringe with the modern references that really date the book but a nice modern update on The Craft Goes to College story

the ending kinda felt thrown together on deadline, but a good ride

started a new witchy book "Everybody Knows Your Mother Is A Witch" by Rivka Galchen and this one is a bit weirder and funnier, more of if Douglas Adams did a spec script for Blackadder about an old witch

Finger Prince

the ending kinda felt thrown together on deadline, but a good ride

started a new witchy book "Everybody Knows Your Mother Is A Witch" by Rivka Galchen and this one is a bit weirder and funnier, more of if Douglas Adams did a spec script for Blackadder about an old witch

That sounds fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Oyate has some of the best book reviews

http://oyate.org/index.php/rss-feed/15-review-darkness-under-the-water

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside