Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh gently caress The Clementine Complex really did come out this month.

I wonder if it will whelm me less or more than the first book.

lol I have never even heard of this dude. lotta comedy books this September
in the order I learned of their new books, I'm talking about Maria Bamford, Aparna Nancherla, and Gary Gulman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

finally started this shredded copy of Bully for Brontosaurus last week. I've had this drat book for years but have put off reading it, no longer. I only have the first half of the book. been a very long time since I read non-fiction

Ass-penny

rear end-penny posted:

finally started this shredded copy of Bully for Brontosaurus last week. I've had this drat book for years but have put off reading it, no longer. I only have the first half of the book. been a very long time since I read non-fiction

I'm really enjoying this, and rapidly closing in on the last page I have. it has given me a lot to think about.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

Finger Prince posted:

Question for the folks reading or familiar with the murderbot diaries series of books:
Even though the character is explicitly non-gendered, does your brain subconsciously assign a gender to it? And if so, what gender?
I don't mean like picturing or associating while reading necessarily, more like you catch yourself thinking of the character as her/him.
I'm just curious. For some reason I associate the character as feminine/she, and I was wondering if that's subconscious bias, or if there's something there in how the character is written, and/or other people make the same association.

it has been a year or two since I was reading one of those, I am not sure if I do assign them a gender mentally. I feel like the character is written pretty androgynous?

I'm about halfway through Aparna Nanchurla's Unreliable Narrator and I'm liking it a lot. quick read too.

also about 40 pages into the 7th Expanse book and juuuuuust started Anarchy Works by Peter Gelderloos, which I'm looking forward to.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

ToxicFrog posted:

For me Murderbot is very consistently an "it", but I also have prior experience using it-pronouns for people (both in books and IRL) so it is perhaps not as jarring for me. My daughter, who has just started reading them, tends to slip up and refer to Murderbot as "he".

in my experience people are fairly cool to being referred to as "it."

Ass-penny

3D Megadoodoo posted:

FUN FACT NO-ONE WANTS TO HEAR AGAIN: In Finnish real people are "it" but your dog/cat, athletes, babies, and your husband as well as other people you don't like are not.

here's the difference between my cat and real people/babies/the elderly/athletes/husbands of all kinds that no one seems to want to talk about : I actually like my cat

Ass-penny

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Same. But not just pronouns. I don't think I'll ever be fluent in Swedish because of the dang genders. I can read (well, somewhat) because obviously the gender is right there, but trying to write or speak? Yeah nah my brain isn't retaining that information.

hell, I had a similar experience in Deutsch klasse for four years. I can spell or say der/die/das/sie, but you ask me to gender a washing machine and my brain short circuits, every time.

Ass-penny

finished Aparna Nanchurla's book. it is funny and insightful

Ass-penny

I have never read Chuck, but I watched a video review of one of his books and it sounded pretty amusing

Ass-penny

has anyone read the earth sea series? I got the second one at a book party and I haven't read the first, wondering how much I'm going to miss out on

Ass-penny

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

It seemed to be on the surface a kind of "what if Barbie had terrorism" thing but

my interest is piqued

Ass-penny

I just finished the 7th Expanse book, about halfway through Maria Bamford's Sure, I'll Join Your Cult. I left S,IJYC at work in my locker, and I'm going to be on a plane tomorrow and Monday, thinking of starting the 8th Expanse book, or Thump, of the Disc World series.

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

Thud! was very good.

all of the Disc World stuff I've read was very good! Vimes' boot theory of socioeconomic unfairness will live in my head until I die

Ass-penny

not really. I have quite enjoyed the series. I am kind of glad to put them behind me though

Ass-penny

yo baka, out of curiosity what was so boring about expanse for you? the gravity talk?

Ass-penny

fuggin yikes whata snipe. :widowsnypa:

Ass-penny

oh that space nazi thing happens in the last two books doesn't it? I feel like you're talking about the Laconia plot... I guess I have hit that part. it isn't as good as the beginning stuff but I'm still interested if the crew gets back together or what. only about half of that left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

something like halfway through The Dispossessed, which is now my favorite Le Guin book.