Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell

i finished a neuromancer rearead. pretty good book you know, it's fair to say

universal harvester was really good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

AdvilSmith posted:

Currently listening to A Scanner Darkly, narrated by Paul Giamatti. It's kinda odd but enjoyable so far. At the same time it's kind of hard to keep into it but I also am drawn into it. I think it's one that I'll have to go back to again. I also think the narration is partly to blame, for me at least. And my ability to be sidetracked by any and everything around me doesn't help.

ah paul giamatti. his woman voices aren't that good iirc. he does a good job sometimes tho

i heart that book tho. its the best book for spacing out to

baka of lathspell

AdvilSmith posted:

Yeah, woman voices weren't that good. I'd like to find a different audiobook of it next time. Maybe I'll just go buy the book? His narration made it difficult to stay engaged at times. All his characters were too similar and the recording quality is poor.

That said, it was a pretty neat book

Is the movie adaptation good?

the movie is p good but only cuz its a v faithful representation of the book. i would see if youve read the book honestly, good to read the book but everyone in the movie is pretty good at portraying their character

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

im reading the white hotel by DM Thomas which is Freudian historyfic which is sparsed with poetry and epistolary elements with freak almost paranormal stuff exploring possibilities of what at the time they called hysteria or mass hysteria & its a lil horny but the prose is really good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Rags to Liches posted:

Itís a combo of adhd and an English degree, if Iím invested in something Iím reading Iíll stay up all night to finish it, but the downside is Iím always reading half a dozen things at the same time about god knows what.

i have this problem too and i never thought of the correlation

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i was rereading annihilation recently cuz i found this omnibus of the trilogy (the illustrated softcover) but i came up on short on a birthday so i used it as a gift. guess i will wait till later... to reread all that. pretty good tho

i dont like the idea that hummingbird salamander might actually suck. is it a conclusion to the dead astronauts thing i forget now

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

LurchinTard posted:

reading City of Glass by Paul Auster (novel, not graphic novel) very good so far.

ah i loved all those whole tril v good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

the kids need to learn about the riftwars sooner or later

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

ive been reading a lot but the only one im near finishing is trainspotting again. im in the last 20 pages and by then its so bleak i might actually give up since i finished it before and like all these books and remember what happens. But they're pretty good

im rereading a huge antho of pulp detective stories and novellas just finished the obligatory harlan ellison story who shows up in every compilation of everything as long as its genre somehow.

beer pal posted:

confessions of a mask (yukio mishima) is good as hell

u mishimaing it up? according to this bookmark im approaching halfway thru forbidden colours. is that a good one by the end? its pretty weird but i like the tangents

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Foobie posted:

Just finished the plague by Camus, it was my second time reading and both times I was left rather underwhelmed coming off of the stranger. Something about it just never clicks for me. I like the characters and the idea heís exploring seems interesting enough but I guess itís that itís placed in a broader war novel just doesnít really gel with me.
Then my partner got me to read carmilla. Donít really have any notes on that one, besides the fact that itís funny that when the lesbian vampire is flirting with the Victorian maiden sheís like ďshe must be a boy in disguise to act in such a wayĒ
Now Iím reading this book called Promicide I bought from this touring goth dance act that came through here, itís a take on schlocky 80s horror novels. I thought it might suck but bought it cause I liked their set, but itís actually pretty fun so far. The deaths are creative and the characters are stereotypical in a kind of clever campy way instead of just because theyíre supposed to be. Excited to read more of it.

if u want more like the stranger i would highly recommend the gun by fuminori nakamura if you dont mind everyone being japanese

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

finished to the lighthouse again. this time ill remember the ending. such a good book tho

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

tolkien: lost tales vol.1

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i finished 'one more year', the meg mogg and owl novel/compilation, which dealt with addiction, had amazing indicial & editorial work especially the weird verso page, was a super good read, stories were real af. also meg is definitely a v abusive figure which i think the text strongly highlights. idk who picks up on that element. she can be a little too relateable, in scary ways

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Contemplating becoming a Chuck Tingle pastiche writer. I truly believe I could make money writing like.. Dick Pringle. Chuck Tingle only gay. Er

its too late/impossible because hes already a pastiche of a patiche. probably. forget it dick, it's tingletown

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

lmao

also:

i finished a mrs. dalloway by virginia woolf reread & then finished lotr unfinished tales. im working thru the unconsoled by kazuo ishiguro right now which i relate to deeply. it's like the protag's whole problem is just losing track of what's going on because a million things keep happening in reality & meanwhile they are drawn into subcultural conflicts. but what's universal about that book is that there is never enough time for the protag to accomplish what they need to; they are thrown around by fate and happenstance like a leaf in the wind.

good book ishiguro's pretty good.

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

finished secrets of the vinyl cafe by stuart maclean. with adorable dressage by iconic canadian graphic artist Seth this book is blah blah blah. It seemed like a cool conceit until i looked at the back and realized Stuart stretched the concept into 5 books. Anyway the frontloaded theme is the secrets we keep from each other and our secret lives. However the book is pretty trad-anxious and refrains from exploring in any well, explorative way just how deep the well of human secrecy and privacy goes, instead electing for seinfeldian plots mixed with like idk antics similar to those in the movie with the red ryder BB gun. i think 3 different subplots were predictable in that they ripped off well known and cliche by now arcs for their characters. the language was charmingly straightforward and what i found most interesting was mclean's exploration of time through his tensework. the characters in this book are always arranged between their words as frozen tableaus. change will come, we are assured, and we are even given the details, but each of these massive upheavals is set in paper as "years off yet, some time off yet," etc. in this way stuart tries to wrestle some optimism in the enduring beauty of life from his weird psychological lookbook of a trad-family-friendly hijink anthology.

i read it cuz i happened to have it for some reason & now im done :woop:

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

lmao kind of on that

i finished a reread of kazuo ishiguro's the unconsoled which i havent read since uni. banger book but it takes till the very end to realize the referent is the reader. with this book you are laughing, then crying, and then the ending just stings. left a bitter taste in my mouth that i didn't recall having on my first read so i must not have really understood that with this book ishiguro is either trying to or forced himself into bringing the reader way down.

there's this guy named hoffman who is a total bastard.

it stings because the humour is actually the funniest poo poo ever.

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Southern Reach trilo.

finished annihilation again moving onto authority. Control is funny af. I think his superiors believe in aliens but tell him not to. Good advices. believing in aliens will never solve your probs they'd be smarter than you if they made it here from space

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

have you reached a part with expanse where you start to get bored

i reached a part with expanse where i started to get bored

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

oh my goodness he's dropping another one :supaburn:

but we're never gonna hear about how the Company dies i guess

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

reading Taiyo Masamoto's Black & White and my god ... this is one of the greatest mangos ive ever read. i was seriously thinking they were out of good ones for me to read. apparently theres a movie i need to check out after.

everything happens with such rhythm its done so well

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

yo baka, out of curiosity what was so boring about expanse for you? the gravity talk?

IDK i think it was the revolving door of plots they had to foil like kind of ramping from like zombies to forerunners or what have you and in the beginning it felt tied together and there was a deeper depth to the problems they had to solve each unveiling new problems upon solution while a whole social web of people reacted via both trying to help and take advantage of each other while not knowing much. but like it kind of felt like theyd dealt with anything interesting when they were just fighting space nazis was the last book i read. like i guess that could happen but idk. i liked robo-zombie amos but it disturbed me to think like, thats not the same dude.

i think the show was really good and i'm glad it ended before it could get to either the end of my attention span or the end of being interesting whichever the problem was

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i finished dashiell hammett's the thin man. wow that was a really good book lol. i'm gonna see the movie next can't wait to see how they handled it

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

reread naked lunch
reread all the pretty horses
reread quentins section from the sound & the fury

im almost done kafka's the Castle, characters talk for pages at a time, 3 chapters were one conversation. finishing it so i can say ive read it. klamm is a funny name to be so central to the book

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i finished the castle and also finished faulkner's 'go down, moses.' this was a dense and sprawling tale that explored both race relations and man's relationship with violence & nature. the ending was very sad. with this book faulkner was establishing a fictional lineage and he did it very ambitiously with a plethora of settings and characters. the book slows down as it usually does in his books when characters spend an entire section just talking about family history and the nature of God which are always intertwining themes in his works. i would probably have to read it again or some poo poo to get the most out of it. the strongest section dealt with a 12 year old's self-appointed mission to kill an old bear who has resisted both time and gunshot to be a sort of sovereign of the woods.

i liked the theme of hunting does, which is obviously a bad idea as we know now with what i'm assuming is a very shrunken deer population compared to when the book's action took place. he uses it as a metaphor for the things humans do that help to destroy themselves. it provides a central pivot to the closing sections.

in summary Faulkner shows again that he was both ahead of and very much a product of his time, both questioning and unconsciously condoning some of humanity's most brutal facets.

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

LurchinTard posted:

I am reading claw of the concillator. at the part with the weird enochian play. I am deeply afraid of missing every little thing in these books, people say they have to reread them like 5-6 times, theres forums, im afraid of coming away completely missing the most important parts

i was reading the book of nu urth and im somewhere where he's gone past the galaxy's infinite point and is in some other dimension or something. everyone he meets is some kind of freak mutant. I read the first vol. of book of the new sun But i've basically skipped the 2nd i think.

i finished rereading the buried giant by kazuo ishiguro. up with his best imo with the cool aesthetic flair

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)