Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Uh I bought this game and already have over 10 hours played. Tower of the Sorcerer is one of my favourite games ever and I even made a browser based clone of it some years ago. This one seems to be even better and that doesn't bode well for my free time...

I just hope those bastards who halve your health when you walk past them won't show up in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Pladdicus posted:

Did buying the game really delete the four hours of work I did on the demo? Is there some way to maybe find that progress?

Save files for the full game are stored in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Tactical Nexus\tmp1\wwdata\. See if you can find the equivalent files in the Tactical Adventure Demo directory, then copy over the "save" and "medal" folders from that directory.

If your clear status doesn't show up on the main menu, it may also be worth opening one of the towers and trying to load from one of your original save files. It's helped me before.

Tremis posted:

Thanks for that!

Just for the record, I'd like to note that it's not like equipment is the first time the game explores new ideas. Every tower plays with a new gimmick, sometimes unique to that one tower, sometimes based on a new item that then continues to show up in future towers. For example, Tactical Tutorial 2 (tower #7) introduces dirt and stone blocks that you can dig through with mattocks. This becomes standard fare in most future towers.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the gently caress

I'm very sorry. On the plus side, you're probably going to start steamrolling everything now.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

anime chip’s challenge very good game

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I think it's because I bought the game while it was open or something, cuz it replaced the demo with the full game, likely taking any save folder with it. Close the game before you buy, back it up, or, honest to god. Just buy the base game it's good.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Tactical Tutorial D down, bronze. Onwards!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Char posted:

Tactical Tutorial D down, bronze. Onwards!

I came to post pretty much the same! It was tricky, but shorter than I expected in the end.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Victory!

I have no idea why this game is so captivating, but it really is. I had to rethink a lot of things on this map, which is pretty amazing since there's no tricks or no hidden conceits really.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Aw dang, first platinum of the thread, that was quick. Good job!

I wonder how much variation there will be in where people get their first platinum medals. Mine was in Tactical Tutorial 2.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Finished Tower G with a bronze, and boy, if that tower doesn't just throw everything you know about the game on its head.

I figured out where the second clear location is way too late. Ended up having to make suboptimal moves because I wasted my early keys and needed to get violets and platinum from somewhere, which resulted in me taking a lot of damage.

I wanna try it again but I feel like I need to be way more focused this time. And waste less keys on lovely locks.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I love how the Tactical Nexus team is eager to receive and respond to feedback but also smart enough not to touch the poop.

(we are the poop)

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I got a diamond in Tactical Tower NEW while listening to some New Jack Swing. How appropriate?

Actually, I feel like I barely scraped this one out. I had to redo the last half of the Nexus Stage a couple of times to get this to work. After falling short of the cutoff score by about 300,000 points twice in a row, I was a bit scared I wasn't going to make it. This game can be nerve-racking sometimes :catte:

So now I have four diamonds and I'm not even entirely sure what to do with them. It's bound to open up some new options somewhere, right? I... I don't want to go back to Pop Tactical Lord. Don't make me go back

Call Your Grandma posted:

I love how the Tactical Nexus team is eager to receive and respond to feedback but also smart enough not to touch the poop.

(we are the poop)

I'm not sure how much of it is that they're keeping their distance, and how much of it is that they're not sure how to register on these paid, English-speaking forums.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I tried demo tower K (for keys, presumably) and it's looking like it'll be another one I fail on my first try. A bit of a bummer, but I knew I'd fall behind eventually... I was just hoping it would be, you know, out of the tutorials.

I'm thinking I should take some early hits in order to really bulk up in the treasure house, but I don't know how viable that is in practice. I guess I'll see in a few days!

And in a day or so past that, I'll have money to actually buy the game! For now, well...

...I'll just wait.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It looks like the dev has a quasi-walkthrough video for tower W: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOyydF347c. I'm not sure useful it is in specific terms for beating W, since
a) he goes in with an enormous raft of sunstones and medals and
b) the video keeps cutting forward in time and skipping huge spans of levels

But still very interesting as example of high level play and I feel like this is making me strongly reconsider how I was valuing defense and how I was using keys.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well, I got a Gold Pure Nexus on Tactical Trip Mini. Honestly, it feels really good. Feels like I've learned a lot!

The trick is, as it turns out, to bum rush all the feathers as quickly as possible. Grab HP levels when they'll get you to a feather quicker. The more you can do this, the more levels you end up gaining.

Also, a fun trick for basically any tower, there's usually at least one Burgeoner in the Nexus. Sometimes that bit of EXP can get you out of a tricky situation; it definitely was the difference between silver and gold for me.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

John Lee posted:

I tried demo tower K (for keys, presumably) and it's looking like it'll be another one I fail on my first try. A bit of a bummer, but I knew I'd fall behind eventually... I was just hoping it would be, you know, out of the tutorials.

Honestly, although the first tower makes it easier to reach a goal point than any of the other towers do due to the number of potions they give you, I don't think any of the towers qualify as "tutorials" except in the sense that they introduce and explain new gameplay concepts in the middle of them. I STILL haven't "beaten" Tactical Tutorial.

King of Bleh posted:

It looks like the dev has a quasi-walkthrough video for tower W: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOyydF347c. I'm not sure useful it is in specific terms for beating W, since
a) he goes in with an enormous raft of sunstones and medals and
b) the video keeps cutting forward in time and skipping huge spans of levels

But still very interesting as example of high level play and I feel like this is making me strongly reconsider how I was valuing defense and how I was using keys.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the walkthrough myself because I prefer figuring things out on my own and then spoiling it for everyone else, but having gotten a diamond in Tactical Tower W myself I can almost guarantee you that a lot of the advice given in it does not apply, and should not be utilized, in any low-medal or Pure Nexus attempts to just reach the goal line and nothing else.

As I mentioned in the OP, and somewhat illustrated in my post with advice on how to get the Golden Feather in the first floor of Tactical Tower NEW, the strategy you use to get a gold in a tower can differ substantially from the strategy you use to get a diamond in the same tower. The powerups you get from using medals can open up huge new options, sometimes by letting you access gated portions of the early tower that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to access until much later (such as by giving you a Platinum Key at the very beginning), sometimes by giving you the resources and powerups you need to skip over entire portions of the tower that you'd normally need to deal with because you wouldn't be able to gain the levels you need otherwise.

For Tactical Tower W in particular, there's the strategy you use to survive to the first goal point, which from what I remember is basically an automatic silver but maybe you could also get a gold, and then there's the strategy you use to survive to the second goal point, which is basically automatically good enough for a platinum. Platinum, not diamond. This is the important part. You've already seen the entire tower, you already know what resources are available to you, but that knowledge in and of itself is only good for a platinum.

In most towers, Pure Nexus runs can be hard, but they're hard because just surviving is hard. Because death comes easily, it's easier to see exactly where you failed, and so you can just back up a few steps and try something else. But when your failure takes the form of completing the entire tower but falling short of a diamond score, you can have very little clue about where you were supposed to improve your score. You have an entire tower's worth of gameplay that you could've approached from a different direction: maybe you should have leveled up differently, maybe you should've completed some floors before others, maybe you should've unlocked different doors, maybe you should've picked different powerups in the Nexus.

Obviously new players have to go through a lot just to start getting their first medals, but I feel like it's more of an inevitability that they're going to sort out the game mechanics well enough eventually. The early game is very good about teaching you through trial and error. Due to how much the game opens up your options when you gather more medals, I feel like it's actually late-game players who might stand to require the most help from other people's advice and walkthroughs.

Arzaac posted:

Well, I got a Gold Pure Nexus on Tactical Trip Mini. Honestly, it feels really good. Feels like I've learned a lot!

The trick is, as it turns out, to bum rush all the feathers as quickly as possible. Grab HP levels when they'll get you to a feather quicker. The more you can do this, the more levels you end up gaining.

Also, a fun trick for basically any tower, there's usually at least one Burgeoner in the Nexus. Sometimes that bit of EXP can get you out of a tricky situation; it definitely was the difference between silver and gold for me.

You inadvertently discovered the same trick I discovered that helped me upgrade my Tactical Tower D score to a gold. Even knowing how big of a difference it can make, though, it's just so easy for me to forget that those enemies in the Nexus exist when I'm already halfway through a tower.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

I'm learning!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ahhhhhh gently caress. I ended up about 1k HP short of being able to (probably) finish Tactical Tower K. God dammit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quick Question about sunstones: is the amount of sunstones you get from a tower equal to your best pure nexus run + your highest scoring run, or does it take the higher number of the two? I really just don't know how those score overflow sunstones work and I'm not anywhere close to finding out for myself.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Arzaac posted:

Quick Question about sunstones: is the amount of sunstones you get from a tower equal to your best pure nexus run + your highest scoring run, or does it take the higher number of the two? I really just don't know how those score overflow sunstones work and I'm not anywhere close to finding out for myself.

You get one sunstone for each rank of medals you get in a pure nexus run and the extra score you have over the highest medal in your best score run.

So for example in the tactical tutorial, if you get a gold in a pure nexus run you get three sunstones and 13000000 points using medals which would get you two sunstones, for a total of 5 sunstones.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Arzaac posted:

I briefly mentioned it at the end of my earlier rundown of how Sunstones are calculated, but yes, you get the total sum of Sunstones from both your Pure Nexus score and your Best score.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ahhhhhh gently caress. I ended up about 1k HP short of being able to (probably) finish Tactical Tower K. God dammit.

Tactical Tower K ends on floor... Actually, maybe this is a good time to do a rundown on how big each tower is. Here's where each goal is located in each tower (this covers only goals that are the farthest goals you can conceivably reach in a Pure Nexus run, not the actual final goals):

1. Tactical Turorial - 7F
2. Tactical Tower NEW - 20F
3. Tactical Tower D - 10F
4. Tactical Tower K - 8F
5. Tactical Trip Mini - 1F :v:
6. Tactical Tower G - B11F (The first goal is in 20F, so this tower is more like 25 "real" floors total)
7. Tactical Tutorial 2 - 11F
8. Hitofude Dojo - 25F
9. Tactical Tower W - 26F
10. Tactical Tower P - B26F
11. Tactical Tutorial 3 - 12F
12. Pop Tactical Lord - 49F :negative:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wanton Spoon posted:

12. Pop Tactical Lord - 49F :negative:
:staredog:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Welp. I downloaded the demo at 2AM on Sunday. It is now 8PM on Monday. I have 19 hours playtime, and pure medals in the tactical tutorial (silver), tactical tower G (silver) and tactical tower NEW (gold). I also have a job. I think I may have a problem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It has taken me five hours but I finally cleared a tower! Tactical Tutorial Bronze.

:negative:

I might be too dumb for this game, but drat if I keep returning to it.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Playing the demo, got silver on the first two, but TacTower D and K are really insidious. K was going fine until I ran into something way too beefy, and D is just a slog. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Flapjack Monty posted:

Playing the demo, got silver on the first two, but TacTower D and K are really insidious. K was going fine until I ran into something way too beefy, and D is just a slog. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Without more details than that, I can't tell what you're doing wrong, either :v:

If you can get a silver on the first two towers, your strategy can't be TOO bad. D is a bit more dependent on item pickups than the other towers. For K, you already know what's stopping you, so think through what you might have to do in order to properly prepare for that particular hurdle. I have a guess on what your issue might be, so let me ask this: What's your thought process for how you spend your level-ups?

Alternately, you can read through my huge survival guide and see if it helps you any (particularly the last half of it).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Flapjack Monty posted:

My first D run was a slog as well, I only just got to the end. I found there were three tricks.

Not really a trick, just something that will make things less frustrating: There are no life crowns anywhere in the tower, so you might as well pick up all the health as soon as you have access to it. I found this helped give me a better sense of how well I was actually doing.

The first small trick: Don't be afraid to put off defense on level ups to get keys. I think my first non-defense level up was at level 10 or 11. The +10 DEF you get from the attack potions will be enough to tide you over for quite a while, at least if you've got a few sun medals to put into DEF as well (which you do).

The second small trick: You'll need to use the rare keys quite carefully. They're plentiful at the end, but scarce at the start. In particular, that incredibly tempting room with +5 ATK and a feather and everything you could possibly want is a trap - you should end up getting to it with two violet keys, not one of your early platinums. Your first platinum key should be used to unlock the stairs up, and your second should be used to get more keys.

The lynchpin: Absolutely as soon as you're strong enough to kill the black-coloured slasher guarding the stairs, even if it costs you almost all your available health, beeline directly for the ATK powerups in the upper levels. There are a lot of them that are only guarded by gates, and you can spend levels on keys. That sets off a massive cascade of free or cheap power-ups interspersed with free or cheap feathers and levelling that only really ends when everything is dead.

I have no idea how the hell Wanton Spoon got gold, though - I was really happy with how my run went and still only got 762539/900000.

e: oh son of a bitch. I get it now, and it takes my score to 879854/900000. I think I'll try that again when I have a few more sunstones.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I wish there was a way to just visually page through each floor of a tower without screenshots or save states. It's pretty clear that a lot of the towers are set up with a lot of ambushes and gotcha moments, which are "cute" the first time you do a run, but immediately become tedious when you go to retry something and can't remember which keys you shouldn't use and which floors you should be skipping ahead to.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
drat Tower K. I get within 20000 life points of what I assume is the last major enemy. I seem to be missing like one purple key to be able to open all the purple doors which would do it. I've tried a bunch of different setups.

Note: I'm trying to do it without spending medals and sunstones.

Edit: Wait, I assume there is no downside to using sunstones?

Tremis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 28, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Sunstones are a truly-free bonus, I don't think the score recorded by the game even tracks how many you used.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

King of Bleh posted:

Sunstones are a truly-free bonus, I don't think the score recorded by the game even tracks how many you used.
It doesn't show it in the tower selection menu, but it does show it on the final score screen within the tower itself, to the left of the total sum. It doesn't disqualify you from a Pure Nexus run, though, so yeah, there's no in-game penalty to using Sunstones.

Tremis posted:

drat Tower K. I get within 20000 life points of what I assume is the last major enemy. I seem to be missing like one purple key to be able to open all the purple doors which would do it. I've tried a bunch of different setups.
You can't open literally every violet door in that tower without getting a key from the Nexus, but one of those doors is a shortcut, so if you skip that one, you can eventually get every powerup.

I don't advise skipping that shortcut.

Or trying to get every powerup.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Lol, I already beat it by realizing I had used a purple key where I didn't need to. Scored under bronze though. I have a better idea what to do perhaps. I only used 2 sunstones.

drat, by your advice I feel like I missed some crucial learning experience.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

What should I be aiming for on a pure nexus run of tactical tower K with 8 sunstones? I scraped a bronze last time with the persistent feeling that I was missing something important and silver might be possible. Wild guess ahoy: I think I might be somehow undervaluing the early game? I noticed my final life total was pretty low - around 80,000 - and I remember spending an awful lot of life on things like feathers and early key levels for later use with the treasure house. But if I give up too much in the way of stats then the final boss is going to murder me.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Finally, got past TacTower D. Not the prettiest win but---gently caress, where did the past two hours go?!

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

pumpinglemma posted:

What should I be aiming for on a pure nexus run of tactical tower K with 8 sunstones? I scraped a bronze last time with the persistent feeling that I was missing something important and silver might be possible.

When I was first playing through the game, first I got a taste of each of the twelve towers (some more so than others), then I decided to start over from the beginning and try to optimize my scores. I was looking for a way to measure how well I was actually doing, and what I made up in my head is that the gold medal score must be calculated to be roughly equivalent to the maximum possible score you can get in every tower without using any Sunstones or medals. So that's what I decided to aim for, a gold medal without using any medals or Sunstones. I spent hours theorycrafting, I remember going to bed late on some nights, but that's how I got gold medals on the first three towers, because of those efforts.

Tactical Tower K made me give up on that premise. I tried multiple times with a variety of approaches and never got anything better than a bronze.

Knowing what I know now, I don't think there's supposed to be a set standard for what's achievable on any given tower. Everything's kinda wishy-washy, towers go up and down in difficulty as you progress, but on the average I think they're generally meant to scale with the number of medals/Sunstones, or at least the amount of personal experience, that you're getting. I also suspect that with some towers, like tower K, they purposely make it hard to get even the lower-ranking medals in Pure Nexus so that they leave room available for you to return to those towers and make new progress in them at a much later point. At some point you're going to think, "I should farm some more Sunstones, where haven't I been in a while?" And there's Tactical Tower K, still with three more medals left to reach.

My current Pure Nexus rank in Tactical Tower K is just barely a silver, and that's with 35 Sunstones.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Oren posted a community update not only mentioning the surge in popularity that came from this thread, but also declaring that they're going to make the game even longer than initially planned, partly inspired by that popularity surge and the supportive community that came from it?

Oren posted:

[Around April 18th, the game broke (popularity) / "Thank you" announcement]
As you can see on Twitter, Tactical Nexus was introduced on a web forum around April 18th.
Since then, the number of games sold has increased significantly, the games have been introduced here and there, and a “break” has occurred in which we have received a support from Twitter.
(I don't know if they are treated that way outside Japan, but in Japan this word means "dramatic epidemic.")

[...]

We're still busy and it's easy to put off work.
However, at the end of the development of all Tactical Nexus DLCs, in honor of those who were sincere to Tactical Nexus, I will publish a new DLC different from Chapter-EX.

This new DLC will be released for free and will include 10 stages.
Each stage is playable from the beginning, but with regard to the difficulty level, it corresponds to a slightly lower difficulty level than each chapter's Very Hard.
(Think of it as a new semi-very hard stage from each chapter that you can play from the beginning)
You won't get a Nexus medal on the DLC stage, but you can get a lot of Sunstones instead.

Let's continue to run through Tactical Nexus with us.

I created this thread because I cared enough about the game that I wanted to signal boost it if it was within my means to do so, but I never expected something like this to happen. I thought there was a distinct possibility I'd only get like one or two extra people to play. I wonder how many new players it actually ended up being?

Thanks to everyone for giving the game a shot in spite of its initial appearances. I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it a lot.

Please accept mine and Oren's request to play Tactical Nexus in good health:

Oren posted:

(By the way, there is "immunity boosting" as one of the prevention of infectious diseases.
Even if you spend your time not to lower your body temperature and get a good night's sleep, your immunity will not be easily reduced.
Please try not to stay up late by playing too much of the game. )

Never mind that I talked about losing sleep to this game literally one post ago

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
The game is really good -- it's actually shocking it hadn't already started blowing up. I wouldn't be surprised if a site like Polygon did an article on it sooner rather than later.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It probably hasn't happened yet because it's pretty obscure. It doesn't really have any marketing going on and it's barely translated, so I can see why nobody's heard of it. Hell, I really don't know how Wanton Spoon found out about it.

Speaking of, congratulations, Spoon! You basically single handedly created the English community for Tactical Nexus, that's gotta feel pretty good.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
One thing I don't really like about the game is being uncertain if I can even finish a tower when selecting it. The difficulty stars give some indication, but they don't really tell if you need a lot of sunstones or if the tower is otherwise hard. Some kind of recommended amount of sunstones for a pure nexus run would be nice.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I made a discord. Unsure if anyone would use it or care, and I have no idea how to admin a discord, but here it is: https://discord.gg/BYTegrg. Wanton Spoon, I copied your big strategy post in a channel there, of course attributed to you. I'll probably tweet it at the developer too.

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I played through the first tower a bit in the demo and decided to buy the game without DLC for now. I don't know if I really like or really dislike this game but I'm willing to give it a try to find out.