Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I'm posting mainly to make the note that, if you haven't been checking back periodically, I've been continuing to create new memo guides and adding them to my previous post. I've also linked that post in the OP for easy access.

Today I finished my Pure Nexus guide for Tactical Tower K, which means there is now a Pure Nexus guide available for each of the four towers in the demo. I think Team Nexus updated the demo to match the current version of the full program, and I'm hoping that includes the memo system, so new players can take a look at the walkthroughs if they want to.

In the meantime, though this thread has been quiet lately, the Discord has proven to be very active. The playerbase is continuing to grow, and there's almost always active discussion being had about one tower or another. There's even a new channel to post your memo guides. I always like seeing more activity here in the SA thread, but if you're interested in taking your Nexus business to where there's more active discussion, you can go there as well.

And here's another note just for fun: Discord user Kefit has gotten a silver on Tower K using 0 Sunstones. Not worth a huge reward in the game itself, but I think it's an impressive accomplishment. I don't have the patience to try to reverse-engineer the solution from the end-game screenshot, but now you know it's a challenge you can attempt for yourself if you ever feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Chapter 4 tower #20, Oath Tactical Lord, has been released!

Come to the Discord for real-time first impressions.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I'm a huge DROD RPG fan and saw this mentioned in their official forum. Played it for one evening, then immediately purchased the game and all its DLC. This game is extremely my jam.

Got a silver medal on the second tower on my first attempt, then looked at the clock and it was 2AM. Whoops! Haven't done that with a game since Civ 4.

Natty
Jan 23, 2009

Thank you OP for this entire thread. Like some others I'm a huge DROD fan, and this is like ... mega-DROD! I am completely addicted.

Side note, Steam discovery is terrible. Everyone who loves DROD should be playing this game, and yet the Steam recommender gives me garbage like "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" when I look for more games like DROD. :argh:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Saw the thread, checking out the demo. I'm having fun so far.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
This game currently doesn't have a very good way of looking over rooms you explored in a previous playthrough or scouting ahead very easily. There's a Maps button, but the maps that you are given are basically useless.

To help out with this, I've made a maps site that has screenshots of every floor so you can remind yourself how many keys of a certain type a tower has, or what's on the next floor, and so on. There's also a damage calculator so you can plug in your stats and it'll tell you how much damage that enemy will deal. Currently only has the first chapter of towers, but I'm adding more over time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

After spending ten hours on the demo I bought the base game. This is the perfect chill thing I need right now.

There are some .medal files in the steamapps demo folder that can be copied over to the main folder to keep whatever progress you made.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It'd be nice to know beforehand if a given tower doesn't have any life crowns and/or gold feathers. Knowing whether or not I can pick up heavenly potions early changes how I play.

edit: discord tells me if there's no XXX% number near your life/xp total, then that level doesn't have life crowns/gold feathers. very good to know.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 15, 2020

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Heavy is out!

If you ever wanted to play pop, but wished you couldn't earn XP and not have reward grids, does Team Nexus have the tower for you!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does demo progress carry over to the full game?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, kind of, you can copy the *.medal files from "..\steam\steamapps\common\tactical adventure demo\tmp1\wwdata\medal"

To the respective "tactical nexus" folder.
Also the game rules but I am way too reliant on the memo files, those are super helpful because I don't think I'd be able to get those high medals on my own.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1283261585817915393

Even though I haven't been playing lately, I still love the Team Nexus twitter account.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There's something unmistakably "Tactical Nexus" about the sinking feeling you get 18 floors into a tower when you realize you haven't seen the Bad Clear Tile yet and you know reaching the top will get you either a bronze or nothing.

Tactical Tower G is much longer than I expected!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
What's the word on the street regarding the new 3rd DLC, Chapter 5? I know only one tower is released for it so far, is it any good? What new stuff is introduced this time?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the new dlc has a bunch of new equipment and orbs designed for it. the newest tower focuses on the blizzard orb, which can be used to freeze rooms and preserve ice equipment between floors

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This game is fascinating but this is a hell of a year to come out with a pricing scheme like that. I can't quite excuse throwing $20 at it now and I'm sure as poo poo not gonna pay triple that down the line.

As an aside, the thought of a company like Activision testing the waters with this sort of pricing model makes my blood run cold.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Would people be interested in a guide to Life Tactical Lord? It seems to have a reputation as very difficult, and I’ve heard people put it off until they have hundreds of sunstones, but I don’t think it’s really that bad. It’s nice and easy to overscore too, if you don’t die before you make it to the first clear.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This game is fascinating but this is a hell of a year to come out with a pricing scheme like that. I can't quite excuse throwing $20 at it now and I'm sure as poo poo not gonna pay triple that down the line.

As an aside, the thought of a company like Activision testing the waters with this sort of pricing model makes my blood run cold.

It's already basically the CoD pricing model except with no cosmetic microtransactions on top of it. They sell you a new one every year, rain or shine, for full price (more if you want the beta!), then battle passes, etc.

It would actually somehow be less predatory for Activision to sell you their poo poo piecemeal and give you the first bunch of content free (like the demo does here).

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind
I'm at 26 sunstones, 3 plats, and a bunch more mostly gold medals, but I don't feel close to swinging a diamond in any of the towers it's actually possible in, and I'm running out of Purenexus scores I can improve too. Between W and Tutorial 2, where have most people had luck getting their first diamond? I feel like the second would just be magnitudes easier once I had one already.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thread, revive! There's another game in the genre!

Soulestination is fun and so far easier (for now) than this. And I'm thrilled, because I like Tactical Nexus but I suck at it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hmmm, I might give it a try, though I think overall I'm still just addicted to Tactical Nexus.

Quick question I notice it mentions metagame puzzles, but from how they're describing it it sounds more like "you must take actions outside the game to progress". It doesn't have the same sort of "come back to old levels with more metagame currency to do them better" that Tactical Nexus does, does it?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ITs been a while since I booted this up, I went from 9 sunstones and no golds to having 2 gold medals and 14 sunstones. Feels good man.

Somehow I still havent cleared W though, everyone seems to suggest it one of the easier towers but I always run out of steam around the 20th floor.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I think that's everyone's first experience with W, actually. It's really rough!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The thing with W is that due to all the eternal potions doubling your health, errors tend to compound brutally. If you don't come out of floor 10 with a bunch of HP, you're going to get ground down and it will be difficult to make it out of 20f alive. It's one of the hardest towers in the base game.

There is a trick to your levels in W: you will have an easier time if you switch to def levels at some point, and then even later go back to attack. I think there is a Steam guide that describes when to do this. I personally did not know this when I played the tower for the first time, and it's very possible to clear without doing this, but it's certainly harder and you will definitely get destroyed by the 4th layer.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

W is definitely a tricky one. It's one that I still have a pretty low medal (silver I think?) just because I've been putting off going back.

Though it's not like I'm that far into the game. I've got like, 1 diamond? Seems like everyone on the discord is at like multiple moon medals and 200+ sunstone. :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Funny, I have multiple moon medals and 200+ sunstones, and to me it feels like everyone in the Discord had thousands of sunstones and max medals everywhere :v: At least I still have my brand identity as “glorious bladeless claymore guy”.

That’s just the nature of a community discord though; the folks who talk a lot have been playing for over a year now. Everyone enjoys hearing new people talk about their impressions (and giving advice), so it’s not a bad thing, really.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meme Emulator posted:

ITs been a while since I booted this up, I went from 9 sunstones and no golds to having 2 gold medals and 14 sunstones. Feels good man.

Somehow I still havent cleared W though, everyone seems to suggest it one of the easier towers but I always run out of steam around the 20th floor.

Got a plat now. Still no progress on W, oh yea.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It’s genuinely incredible just how complex the towers in Chapter 5 are. Like, everything in the game is complex, but those ones are something else. Bonkers. I just finished Premium and I’m still reeling (and exhausted).

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

nrook posted:

It’s genuinely incredible just how complex the towers in Chapter 5 are. Like, everything in the game is complex, but those ones are something else. Bonkers. I just finished Premium and I’m still reeling (and exhausted).

Six month necrobump, but posts like this have me horrified. I just barely scraped my way to the second exit with a silver in Tactical Tower NEW, missing a lot of health optimization and such along the way, and it's just crazy overwhelming how much choice there is... And then the discord is going off about like magic spells and pickaxes and clowns and poo poo and I realize there's already 5 more chapters of this nonsense to get through :gonk:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

GetDunked posted:

Six month necrobump, but posts like this have me horrified. I just barely scraped my way to the second exit with a silver in Tactical Tower NEW, missing a lot of health optimization and such along the way, and it's just crazy overwhelming how much choice there is... And then the discord is going off about like magic spells and pickaxes and clowns and poo poo and I realize there's already 5 more chapters of this nonsense to get through :gonk:

oh boy oh boy oh boy, you've got some stuff to look forward to

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

GetDunked posted:

The good news is that Chapter 5 is very intentionally a big spike in difficulty. The full design of the game has 10 chapters (if I remember correctly), so 5 serves as the conclusion to the first half; the last tower ("Dawn") is a massive, loving sendoff to the game. The earlier chapters are simpler than it is, and I suspect most of the later ones will be too.

The bad news is that, well. It's still insanely complicated. Although this is also good news, in a way.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Everyone here keeps mentioning DROD. Never played any DROD, but if I like TN and I like Desktop Dungeons is that another series to investigate?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Mainline DROD isn't anything like Tactical Nexus or other games in the Tower of the Sorcerer lineage, it's more of a turn based puzzle game where each room is a self contained puzzle* where you have to figure out how to kill all the enemies. At one point the developers did a spin off set in the same setting called DROD RPG which is similar to TN and its ilk. So the other DROD games aren't quite like this, but they're excellent puzzle games nonetheless and are definitely worth a look if you're at all a fan of puzzle games. I'd recommend starting with Gunthro and the Epic Blunder.

*Not always, but almost always.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone else try to play this with controller? Discord said that the dojo wouldn't work well without a mouse but other towers I've found work okay with my rudimentary setup and I was wondering what other folks configs were.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I much prefer keyboard and mouse but I could see a controller layout working.

I'm thinking something like, put the 5 levelup options on the shoulder buttons + triangle, then maybe maps on square and nexus stage on circle? Something like that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This game is kicking my rear end and I keep coming back :negative:

gently caress you, whoever mentioned this in the roguelike thread

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I just got my first gold, also my first pure nexus gold, on tactical trip mini at about 20 hours. I see myself losing a solid couple months to this.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Mithross posted:

I just got my first gold, also my first pure nexus gold, on tactical trip mini at about 20 hours. I see myself losing a solid couple months to this.

Was this with or without badges? (just asking for when I try for it myself)

Also, thread, what is this and how do I get past it?

It's in Tactical tower G past the (first?) clear tile.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 2, 2022

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Phigs posted:

Was this with or without badges? (just asking for when I try for it myself)

Also, thread, what is this and how do I get past it?

It's in Tactical tower G past the (first?) clear tile.

It's a tile that needs a mattock to dig. 5 charges worth IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I bought this game when it first launched, but didn't get all that far:

Most towers I beat with the help of tutorials, but I dunno, that didn't feel very satisfying. How do I get good on my own at this game without following step by step guides? I never know if I should focus on attack, defense, or go with both. How do I best spend my metacurrency? I know that you should aim to pick up feathers as early as possible. There's always a ton of variables to tweak and this seems like a puzzle with a million pieces so I never know where and how to start.