Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do you want loving fried chicken?

Mother loving raising canes bitch!

You better loving like chicken strips!

Even the drat sandwiches are just 3 chicken strips on a bun!

Look at this drat value!

They expect this skinny rear end bitch to each all of this!

Caniac club represent!!!!!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I east at Raising Cane's way too much because one is in the same lot as Winco

Though I went to one during current times at it wasn't nearly as good pre-COVID

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

it's alright, used to date a lady who was obsessed with it. the pro move is to sub the fries for toast, I've been told. sauce is pretty boss.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Cane's is okay in a pinch. Bland chicken, grade school cafeteria quality fries, the slaw is edible I suppose and the sauce is pretty bitchin. Even if it is just Mayo, Worcestershire, Pickle Juice and Pepper. Oh and the Texas Toast is really good too.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
I worked at one that opened up in my city, it was insane when we opened and slowed down after like 3 months. The food is decent, but working there is pretty insufferable. It's really easy to make your own chicken, it's a pretty simple brine and batter recipe.

Q_res posted:

the sauce is pretty bitchin. Even if it is just Mayo, Worcestershire, Pickle Juice and Pepper.

There's no pickle juice in it, but add ketchup and that's basically it and every other fry sauce.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You sure about the pickle juice, it sure as hell tastes like there's pickle juice in it. It also tastes a lot different from "fry sauce" (mayo and ketchup) that I've had.

edit: I see the recipe was apparently leaked by an ex-employee. I guess the Garlic Salt plus the vinegar in the ketchup was what was making me thing pickles.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 24, 2020

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

Raising Canes is so drat good, thank you for starting this thread. When I lived in LA my friends and I would plan trips to Vegas under the guise of 'enjoying Vegas' but it was really because that's where the closest Canes was. Would have turned done a turn around trip for it though

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

iMonarch posted:

I worked at one that opened up in my city, it was insane when we opened and slowed down after like 3 months. The food is decent, but working there is pretty insufferable.

I enjoy their food but have heard the company culture is bordering on a cult so I'd like to hear more about this.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I enjoy their food but have heard the company culture is bordering on a cult so I'd like to hear more about this.

I've worked a cult-like manufacturer in the past and I guess I compartmentalized a lot of the similarities between the two companies. I'd wager training at a store before it's open is vastly different than getting hired on afterwards, since they gave us written tests, lectures, and a novel sized handbook. Of the more trivial things we were required to learn was the significance of all the tacky poo poo they put in the restaurant, the disco ball, the hard hard (which we all had to autograph), something else, and story about the namesake dog. The company that owns the franchise for that store owns all the stores in the AZ/NV region so the hands-on trainers come from different stores within their domain, so pretty average people. The management seemed to be cut from a different cloth entirely, the top brass was elder millennial/late gen-x trust fund kids, below them was the store management who would be safely described as aggressively frat-bro chic. They put an emphasis on younger, extroverted, white tattooed management which in itself is pretty innocuous, but I think they really engage their style of management as well. Inside the kitchen they installed a Bose sound system for BOH, which sounds awesome on paper but terrible when you can't communicate orders over Hey Ya being played at concert level. Between that and the store props we had to learn about my impression was a company that is grossly insecure about its youthful image, they want to balance being a cool vibrant place for kids to eat chicken tendies at and a wholesome place for old people who just want fried chicken in their maws. Had I stuck it out longer I'm sure more alarming things would have popped up, but that was my experience after 8 months.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I also love soggy fries and breaded chicken that has breading that completely sloughs off of the chicken as soon as you bite into it.

The sauce is good though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I drive past a Canes to go to Popeyes.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My coworker and I went to Cane's so much during their contest with the stickers you peeled off the cups. We both ended up with enough letters to get winner winner chicken dinner t shirts. Also, when I worked in a restaurant in college, when it got slow, I would try to duplicate the Cane's sauce. My exwife has a cousin that worked as a manager at Cane's but he refused to give up the recipe. I'm from south Louisiana so I know the sauce is just a basic remoulade, but I could never get it right. All the recipes online to clone it are totally wrong.

Hearing about the cult like practices there is nuts because the original Cane's is a hole in the wall nasty looking joint right off of LSU's campus. There's like 6 booths and it's dark and ratty. Nothing like the franchises you see around now.

https://goo.gl/maps/4mGbmDskFR8KLTeR9

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 30, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm the craggy old drifter sitting one block west outside the vape shop.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I know someone who can hook me up with a super tote of sauce. They won’t tell me what’s in it but I could procure a white label one tonne bag of the stuff. It is that good....

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I do wish one of the chicken finger places in the South (Zaxby's, PDQ, Cane's, etc) would find their way up here in the North. Stuck with Chik-Fil-A and the closest substitute to those 3 is a food truck that mainly parks in downtown so it's already a pain to order.

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
I love Cane's sauce and you must remember this, if you flirt with the cashier, he'll let you order the toast buttered on both sides, or bob style as we say in the business.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's some good poo poo.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
They make you buy a drink, you can say no thanks, but you have to pay for it anyway. And they charge for sauce. I will never eat there, because gently caress them I hate you Raising Cain.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am glad something else is open after midnight on the way home from work.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the only good thing about this place is the sauce and they loving know it

----------------

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been eating at Raising Cane's ever since they opened the first one, and I don't like the sauce. That's my story.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Why the gently caress would you eat there if you don't like the sauce?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
They're close by, something different than burgers, and the food's OK if you get it hot.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

They should get rid of the cole slaw because everyone asks to replace it with more toast/sauce/fries.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bumping this thread from literally a year ago to say that I finally went to a Raising Cane's yesterday. Slaw was lame, fries were lame, toast was dope, sauce was dope, tenders were aight.

The most impressive part was that by the time I was halfway done filling my cup with sweet tea they had already called my name.

Either way I was happy to try a place that I can't get locally and it fueled me for my 6 hour car trip.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Slaw was lame, fries were lame, toast was dope, sauce was dope, tenders were aight.

This is very much the essence of Cane's.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

i like caine's fries okay. they are usually a little too salty which is what i really want in a fry. last time i went the toast was kind of dry and overcooked and not good which has never happened to me before

the secret to caine's is that you have to eat it RIGHT NOW or it gets soggy and gross. ideally you eat inside because even being in a box for 2 minutes at the drive through makes those tendies noticeably less good. If you must drive-thru, get that box open and let the steam out and eat it ASAP in the parking lot, don't wait till you get home.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fartington Butts posted:

Slaw was lame, fries were lame, toast was dope, sauce was dope, tenders were aight.

Slaw: gotta salt and pepper it yourself, lots of pepper
Fries: lame as hell, like they have a six minute cycle on the fryer but staff is trained to pull them after four
Toast: I remember a day when BOTH SIDES of the toast were buttered and grilled and it was amazing, now all you get is a soft piece of bread that tastes vaguely grilled
Sauce: dope, I cannot deny this
Tenders: good quality chicken, never have had any gristle or fatty tenders at Canes, but like the fries, it always seems like they were pulled from the fryer too early. As I posted earlier, too often you bite into one and pull off like 2/3 of the "crispy" breading

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Their fries are basic but so many places have fries I don't like now that a basic fry is fine for me.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Chief McHeath posted:

Toast: I remember a day when BOTH SIDES of the toast were buttered and grilled and it was amazing, now all you get is a soft piece of bread that tastes vaguely grilled

it's called bob toast (BUTTER ON BOTH!!) and you can still ask for it np

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if your menu is as limited as Cane's you have to knock out of the park with each item on there. and they don't! not afraid to say it!

the fries are inexcusable.

i love me some texas toast though.

----------------

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I thought the fries were just there to give more surface area to hold the cause between the toasts with a tendie or two?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Cane's is my secret crack. Maybe it's the high salt content, but can't get tired of it. It's one of the few tendies I tolerate. Also never order the coleslaw, always replace that poo poo.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i like caine's fries okay. they are usually a little too salty which is what i really want in a fry. last time i went the toast was kind of dry and overcooked and not good which has never happened to me before

the secret to caine's is that you have to eat it RIGHT NOW or it gets soggy and gross. ideally you eat inside because even being in a box for 2 minutes at the drive through makes those tendies noticeably less good. If you must drive-thru, get that box open and let the steam out and eat it ASAP in the parking lot, don't wait till you get home.

This, it's quite apparent how fast they turn to mush especially if you don't immediately open that box.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
We have a regional chain called Mr. Hero and they have waffer (waffle) fries. A few years ago, I went to leave after ordering take out and crumpled the paper bag over at the top and the manager said to leave it open or the fries will get soggy from the steam by the time I got home. I have taken him at his word and done it whenever I get fries anywhere. Seems to work though.

E: To keep this on Raining Canes, my son makes me take him every time he is on my side of town. I have never gotten it, but I tried the sauce and it is good. He always throws the slaw away, so I assume that it is bad.

----------------

drunkb fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 18, 2021

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
poo poo i don't think i've had canes since i started recrisping basically all fast food fries in my air fryer for a couple of minutes

is this the secret

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Nikumatic posted:

poo poo i don't think i've had canes since i started recrisping basically all fast food fries in my air fryer for a couple of minutes

is this the secret

I am pretty sure that it doesn’t hurt. I haven’t tried testing the theory otherwise since that insightful day.

----------------

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I don't "get" raising canes. The chicken is so so bland, am I missing something?

Resting Lich Face posted:

I drive past a Canes to go to Popeyes.

Basically this

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

I don't "get" raising canes. The chicken is so so bland, am I missing something?

Basically this

I don't either but it is open until 2:00 it does have that going for it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rick posted:

I don't either but it is open until 2:00 it does have that going for it.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jenny Agutter posted:

I think the point of Raising Canes is that the chicken is simply a convenient conveyance method for the gallons of sauce you're supposed to use. Thus, why focus on making good chicken?