Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
I’m very fortunate to be safe in quarantine with enough income to see the all the bills are paid for the next few months.

I realize that I am tremendously lucky.

Where can I go to read about some stories of those who are less fortunate.

I got my trumpbux this past week and I can afford to donate some money to a local worthy cause.

My local food bank maybe? Homeless shelters?

I’d like to read some accounts of how folks are managing that might not have the privileges that I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Please feel free to drop your change from today into the box below the window. Thank you for visiting McDonalds today, sir.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Serious answer
There is a goon thread stickied in CSPAM
A fund for goons in need

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Just go to the grocery store in another town and buy old black people's groceries for them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spinz posted:

Serious answer
There is a goon thread stickied in CSPAM
A fund for goons in need

Yeah came to say this. Dude is doing good work and it’s not been publicized a huge amount around the forums.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If I have cash I want to donate I donate it to an animal shelter local to me. Even with a pandemic on animal shelters need funds.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If you want it to go to people I'd say use it for the benefit of your family, friends, and neighbors. (cover some of your family's bills or something, or yeah a local food bank.)

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Actual serious answer, like HDC said, I'm holding onto a chunk of cash just in case friends, family, etc need it. After that, I'd default to animal shelters and food banks, or something to support medical workers. I don't know if it's the best outlook, but I'm focusing on the closest emotional/physical areas first, and then expanding my search outward.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cruise companies are in desperate need of a bailout, OP

Also airlines

Please keep the economy alive

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

pseudorandom posted:

Actual serious answer, like HDC said, I'm holding onto a chunk of cash just in case friends, family, etc need it. After that, I'd default to animal shelters and food banks, or something to support medical workers. I don't know if it's the best outlook, but I'm focusing on the closest emotional/physical areas first, and then expanding my search outward.

I prolly could have said it better but yeah my main point is give it directly to something local, not some massive charity that's gonna result in only a small portion of your donation actually accomplishing something.

Even if this means having to physically go to some place and write them a check, or buy non-perishable foods to give to a local food bank.

E: but above all else imo use your spare cash to take care of your kin before you give it to others. Obviously I'm aware that there may be bad blood and non-traditional family dynamics involved with some people and that's totally fine imo. Follow your heart.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 19, 2020

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Local food banks and homeless shelters are probably the most meaningful donations you can make so yeah those.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
your local food bank. mine put out a call for donations because they need lots of money to buy food since actual food donations are down and non perishables are difficult to get everywhere.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i don't think anyone could ever convince me to give money to a random goon for disbursal to goons in need, no matter how well intentioned they might be

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Unfinish3d posted:

Local food banks and homeless shelters are probably the most meaningful donations you can make so yeah those.

I don't know if this is actually good advice, but if you're using home alone time to clean out your house, this might be a good time to take clothes and fabrics—from what I've been told, especially decent socks and towels—to homeless shelters, rather than discarding them or trying to toss them on Goodwill. That is to say, I don't know about their current state during this pandemic, but I've been told previously (before pandemic-times) that those are desired items for shelters.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gone Fashing posted:

i don't think anyone could ever convince me to give money to a random goon for disbursal to goons in need, no matter how well intentioned they might be

This. I absolutely do not trust that the recipient is honest. And I don't say that to take away from those that are honest. But I'll never know that for sure so I'd rather give locally.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Honky Dong Country posted:

This. I absolutely do not trust that the recipient is honest. And I don't say that to take away from those that are honest. But I'll never know that for sure so I'd rather give locally.

What if you got hot dogs in return

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What if you got hot dogs in return

Right which is why I give locally to a fund calling itself "grocery store pickup" they have all kinds of poo poo, you just ask for what you want, drive over, give them your donation and they give you as many hotdogs as your donation level indicates.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Donate it to the police and thank me later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I donated money to LA Regional Foodbank. A charity checker website gave them high marks.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I'd also say doctors without borders is probably strained to the max right now.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Gone Fashing posted:

Seriously please don't enable the scammers snd weirdos who keep trying to turn the forums into sn easy income stream for themselves

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
*puts paypal account into sig*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
*collects money for donations, donates money to self*