Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO OUR PILOT EPISODE!

Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the GoonCast thread! We're going to be doing an intense and in-depth exploration of the forums and bringing our findings straight to your ears!
But first...

What is GoonCast?

GoonCast is a podcast that focuses solely on SomethingAwful. Whether you're looking for discussions on gold threads, gassed threads, infamous posters and events, or analyzing Photoshops, we're the place to be.

GoonCast will average a brisk 40 minutes long, with chapter selections (see bottom of post) so that you can enjoy your favorite parts whenever you'd like. GoonCast is inspired by a plethora of great, extant podcasts and the intelligent but irreverent observations of Vice.

Who does GoonCast?

That'd be Matthew "Obeah" Zapata. Matthew is a long time goon who's been active in the podcast world for a very long time. Matthew has also self distributed several books and longform essays, including "A Spicy Matzo Ball: Growing Up Jewish-Catholic in the Midwest", "On the Shoulders of Apollo", "A Faerie's Lament", and "The Collector's Guide to DiscoVision/Laserdisc". Matt is currently a freelance artist living with family in his home state of Indiana.

Is this officially sanctioned by SomethingAwful?

No.

I've already listened, but I'd like to relisten to a specific part. Can you help me with that?

Sure!

Episode 0 Chapter Selection:

Intro: 0:00

Opening Monologue: 0:30

Pannin' for Gold: 3:25

Matt's Miscellaneous Recommendations: 20:25 (This Episode: Lover, A Ralph Sepe Jr. Film)

Matt's Corner of the Internet: 26:25

Plugs: 32:18

Ending Monologue: 35:53

This is awesome! What can I do to show you my appreciation?

Our current production budget allows us to bring this to you free of charge, so no donations necessary; nevertheless, Matthew is already at work developing a mining simulator/roguelike that will use your computer's spare processing power to harvest currency, to be shared collectively among the player base, in the future. So keep an eye out for more details, superfans!

And from all of us at SlapDad Studios, thank you for tuning in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'll probably give it a listen, and the respond here with my lovely opinions!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is this just a thinly veiled plug for your bitcoin mining malware game?

edit: This is really loving terrible, dude. Half the podcast isn't even about SA, it's just you talking about yourself or unrelated poo poo. Most of the podcast is just you going 'um and ah.'

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 19, 2020

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
You have a pleasant voice, OP

How serious is this??? Are you looking for feedback? I think the intro could be tweaked in volume, as it is it sounds kind of muddy and your voice was hard to make out when it came in.

The self-deprecation in the intro comes before any content whatsoever, I don't like you beating me to all the "lol this guy thinks he knows how to podcast" jokes. I think in the future it would be better to come in with an interesting anecdote OR just launch straight into the thread content and save the self-deprecation for after you've actually hosed up.

I like your commentary on the posts, but I dunno maybe you could curate posts that are a little more audio-friendly. It's kind of hard to follow a conversation with quotes and replies to replies to tweets and so on. Could help to have a cohost so you can alternate between different posts and users.

Are you familiar with the podcast Lou Reads (by goon King Lou)? He's done episodes on SA and I think they were p decent, maybe a good point of reference.

If you're just doing this for a laugh then disregard the above, fart on my balls im gay

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Not for me, I'm afraid.

Fart on my balls, I'm gay.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person. It is insufferable.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

All that's missing is a wildly exaggerated stupid fuckin face to promote it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m a goon who probably listens to 3-4 hours of podcasting a day while I’m at work and I cannot FATHOM who the intended audience for this would be.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m a goon who probably listens to 3-4 hours of podcasting a day while I’m at work and I cannot FATHOM who the intended audience for this would be.

here you go friend there's your answer

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This podcast seems like a great idea for people who have access to their phone but due to a grease fire they have lost the ability to see and also to post. So now that can still enjoy the forums through this Matt character

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm a goon yet i was not asked to contribute to this podcast. seems fake to me

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
This looks really bad so instead I'm gonna link to someone who is much better at talking about SA folklore, cringe as it is (and she is, because it's unavoidable when talking about SA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWfl16KJ-JI

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A podcast no one wanted about a subject no one asked for by someone no one's heard of, done poorly.
Well this is perfect.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

A podcast no one wanted about a subject no one asked for by someone no one's heard of, done poorly.
Well this is perfect.

should be called AwfulCast

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
this kind of reminds me of Art Bell, but instead of infuriating me by spending an hour talking to normies and pranksters about Slenderman it's a bunch of random posts that I will never read. I could see myself putting in on in the background because I won't feel like I need to pay close attention to it

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
like I would put this on if I wasn't in the mood to listen to numbers stations or NOAA radio but I still needed to get poo poo done

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
do we still have to call streams podcasts? are ipods still a big draw

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Unless I'm mentioned I'm not going to listen to some dogshit podcast about the forums.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I think this podcast needs pyrotechnics or something. Maybe a drum solo to jazz it up a bit?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Frankly I am laughing my loving rear end off at this concept. It's like a radio show to describe paintings.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Really need to work on your squeaky, high-pitched nasal voice.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
The decision to create a highly distorted intro audio sequence set the tone brilliantly - this is Something Awful, and you reinforce this enthusiasm for music and the forums by describing your musical expertise.

I appreciate your invitation to post more - it's something I haven't done in a while myself. And explaining what a creb was really helped me feel like I was there - as though I hadn't missed a beat.

There's an expression: tell by showing, and you've made a daring choice to subvert that from the get-go.

I didn't have much time to listen to the rest, but I think you're off to a good start. Don't be afraid to refine your formula though; commit to your message, focus on the forums, and consider inviting guests from the forums. Dig into the cultural history and traditions of this website. There's a wealth that I'm sure people would appreciate.

Good luck with your podcast.

Whimsy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 19, 2020

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I listened to the whole thing.

Some good points:
- You had the drive to do this thing.
- Your voice was easy to understand.
- I do actually like the idea of an SA podcast

Some constructive criticism:
- Try to balance the audio levels. Some parts were loud, others were quiet.
- You don't need to tell us post-by-post what people have written; If people want to read the thread, they will. And if they already have, they don't need to have it read aloud to them. Maybe just briefly say what the thread is about for context, and pick your top three favourite posts that you found incredibly funny and want to share.
- Leave out your personal life stuff unless it's absolutely essential to the topic at hand. I'm sorry you got fired (especially at this time) but we don't need to hear a rant about how it's all horse-poo poo and I don't think listeners are going to care about your qualifications and linguistic ability.
- Try to get a guest (or a buddy) to do this with. There's something about one-man podcasts to me that just make me feel like I'm being spoken to - but when there's more people I feel like I'm listening into a fun conversation.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
every time i look at the slowly dwindling number of people logged in, i think ok this is the critical mass. there isn't a big enough pool to dredge up any more really dumb poo poo where no one but the person who posted it thinks it was remotely sensible or good

yet here we are

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
at the end of time there will only be 2 people posting, and after eons one of them is going to reveal that he's finally completed the zipline running from his 100% drywall house straight into a vat of acid

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Well this is perfect.

:goonsay:

Who What Now posted:

Unless I'm mentioned I'm not going to listen to some dogshit podcast about the forums.

:same:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wtf does this mining simulator have to do with a podcast about SA?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf does this mining simulator have to do with a podcast about SA?

Have you ever even mined, brah?

It's all about mining.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Literally A Person posted:

Have you ever even mined, brah?

That's personal information BRAH!!!
we mind our business round here!

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Angelwolf posted:

I listened to the whole thing.

Some good points:
- You had the drive to do this thing.
- Your voice was easy to understand.
- I do actually like the idea of an SA podcast

Some constructive criticism:
- Try to balance the audio levels. Some parts were loud, others were quiet.
- You don't need to tell us post-by-post what people have written; If people want to read the thread, they will. And if they already have, they don't need to have it read aloud to them. Maybe just briefly say what the thread is about for context, and pick your top three favourite posts that you found incredibly funny and want to share.
- Leave out your personal life stuff unless it's absolutely essential to the topic at hand. I'm sorry you got fired (especially at this time) but we don't need to hear a rant about how it's all horse-poo poo and I don't think listeners are going to care about your qualifications and linguistic ability.
- Try to get a guest (or a buddy) to do this with. There's something about one-man podcasts to me that just make me feel like I'm being spoken to - but when there's more people I feel like I'm listening into a fun conversation.

This is, no lie, excellent advice. I honestly stand by my suggestion to consider bring in forums history, including some of the early days drama. I see potential in not only reminding people of old school SA, but also engaging newer members. Basically, in twenty years, the Forums have been involved in some funny poo poo, and I think people need to know it.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

It's me. I'm the audience.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Who What Now posted:

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello I dont think this works with just one person but luckily i am willing to sign on as a cohost

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Wait, you tried to do a one man podcast? Geez...

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
I would, uh...like to, uh...hear more, uh...about how you're, uh..."fluent in English, Italian, Latin, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Burmese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Tagalog, and Thai," and "proficient in...Google Translate."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have some amateur podcast/radio host experience. I'm willing to help of you'd like.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Great, another “pilot” episode that had nothing at all to do with aviation.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have some amateur podcast/radio host experience. I'm willing to help of you'd like.

His name is Punk Rebel X!!!

Oh wait, no, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brah you need a c0-host. this thing is not even staying on the front page. I'm your man.