Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rollie Fingers posted:

Also that it was supposed to be set in London yet 90% of it is filmed in California and they did an incredibly lazy job of making California look like London.

Also the writer had obviously never visited London and still thought people in '70s London still spoke and acted like Dickens' characters. The murdered man's name was a play on Miss Havisham for god' sake.
"It's remarkable how England looks in no way like Southern California."

As a Brit, American TV pretending to be set here is endlessly amusing. I always remember an episode of Magnum with a caption saying "Leeds, England" while showing a Cotswold village. Nnnnnnope!

Not even 24: Live Another Day (which was filmed in England) was immune - a character got from London to their remarkably Cotswold-y home in Yorkshire within one episode, or under an hour. Yeah, if they were picked up by a Harrier, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I just started watching this show last week and it's charmed me in record time. Even during the last episode I watched that I didn't care for overall (Dagger of the Mind), at least Columbo was in it being his usual Columbo self.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there somewhere I can watch episodes without ads? I'll sub to another service if I must!!!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Columbo goes to England is so great.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

zoux posted:

Is there somewhere I can watch episodes without ads? I'll sub to another service if I must!!!

According to some website I found you can stream it on tubi and peacock whatever those are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

"It's remarkable how England looks in no way like Southern California."

As a Brit, American TV pretending to be set here is endlessly amusing. I always remember an episode of Magnum with a caption saying "Leeds, England" while showing a Cotswold village. Nnnnnnope!

Not even 24: Live Another Day (which was filmed in England) was immune - a character got from London to their remarkably Cotswold-y home in Yorkshire within one episode, or under an hour. Yeah, if they were picked up by a Harrier, maybe.

It's kinda weird when nowadays they actually shoot stuff here and pretend it's other places.

Or very occasionally, actually have it be the real place, like the Avengers having a fight at Waverley Railway Station in Edinburgh in Infinity War

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I usually kind of avoid late season Columbo if just because its so weird seeing old Falk. But the way the villain in Columbo Goes To College seems completely convinced in the final scene that Columbo winning "was a fluke" and that Columbo really is an idiot undercuts the satisfaction a bit. Realizing how bad they've misunderstood Columbo is one of the key satisfactions of the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Those punks shouldn't have mocked him.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The first episode with McGoohan as the headmaster of the military school is so good. Plus a very young Bruno Kirby, as I recall.

My parents never watched it when I was a kid, so I have no memory of it other than it being in the general zeitgeist. But it's so fun to watch now. The one with Nimoy is such a lovely time capsule of the 70s, with Columbo just walking around A loving HOSPITAL with a lit cigar, and the doctors can barely bother to care. If you tried that now, the nurses and security guards would tackle you in about a minute.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I have been watching random episodes for a few weeks now after this thread got me nostalgic and it's been fun.

Yesterday we caught the one with Dick Van Dyke as the photographer who murders his wife. It was a good episode with a fun ending, though it did leave me wondering just how hard it might have been to get a divorce in the 70's if setting up a really elaborate murder scheme that involves shooting yourself in the leg is seen as the better option.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I think the best Columbos are the ones where you can sympathise with the killer. You know they did it, you know Columbo is hot on their trail and you almost hope they get away with it and Columbo almost wishes it too. The Ruth Gordon one is the best example. "Just think Lieutenant. If you had investigated my nieces death all this need never have happened." :discourse:

I still think people should watch the modern Columbos. There are still good bits and episodes there. I'd just randomly mix them into the watching of the older classics. Who the guest star is is generallly a good clue of what the quality will be.There is no continuity in the series that needs to be followed other than Columbo's dog.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bob Quixote posted:

My wife and I have been watching random episodes for a few weeks now after this thread got me nostalgic and it's been fun.

Yesterday we caught the one with Dick Van Dyke as the photographer who murders his wife. It was a good episode with a fun ending, though it did leave me wondering just how hard it might have been to get a divorce in the 70's if setting up a really elaborate murder scheme that involves shooting yourself in the leg is seen as the better option.

No fault divorce first became legal in California in 1970 not too long before that episode aired and was unheard of in the rest of the country. Before that you had to have evidence they were cheating on you, abusing you, etc. so it took several years and enormous lawyer bills. The last state to legalize it was of all places New York in 2010.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm making my way through season 1. It's excellent, I love it. BUT! What is up with those weird green cigars?

It was also really funny to see that the diner cook actor playing a cop in one episode. I like to imagine that Columbo did his buddy a solid and helped him go through the police academy and helped him get to detective.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent posted:

I'm making my way through season 1. It's excellent, I love it. BUT! What is up with those weird green cigars?

It was also really funny to see that the diner cook actor playing a cop in one episode. I like to imagine that Columbo did his buddy a solid and helped him go through the police academy and helped him get to detective.

Those are called Candelas which made up the majority of the American cigar market from the 50s to the 70s

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the best Columbos are the ones where you can sympathise with the killer. You know they did it, you know Columbo is hot on their trail and you almost hope they get away with it and Columbo almost wishes it too. The Ruth Gordon one is the best example. "Just think Lieutenant. If you had investigated my nieces death all this need never have happened." :discourse:

I still think people should watch the modern Columbos. There are still good bits and episodes there. I'd just randomly mix them into the watching of the older classics. Who the guest star is is generallly a good clue of what the quality will be.There is no continuity in the series that needs to be followed other than Columbo's dog.

agreed. any port in a storm is another good one, and donald pleasence does a drat good job as the killer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don’t know if it’s mentioned here in the thread but apparently Tubi had all the episodes? At least by my count it does. I also appreciate the thumbnails are usually just a picture of the guest star, making it easy to pick an episode.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The craziest columbo episode to me has to be the one where he does a tuba solo.

https://youtu.be/XAZerYLFhZs

https://youtu.be/3_UN2S8SasY

Crankit fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 2, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been slowly making the way through the series with a group, watching an episode weekly. Just seen Candidate for Crime, I like that even the weaker episodes still tend to make for some great tv. Like you really feel the run time of this one (unlike any port in a storm) but I did enjoy a lot of the longer scenes like the headlight argument he lays out on paper to the suspect. Like he has had plenty of back and forth with killers before but never one that went that into the nitty gritty. Also a fun gotcha.

I would say Dead Weight is probably my least favorite so far.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

candidate for crime is a classic how dare you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

candidate for crime is a classic how dare you

I thought it was good! I just thought overall it was a weaker one. And I still tend to really like the ones I think are weaker, like Short Fuse I would say is way worse than Candidate but I still had a lot of fun watching it because the killer was ridiculous.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tonight's episode on MeTV is a great one.

Troubled Waters

Columbo is a on cruise when a murder takes place so he helps the captain solve the crime. .

Directed by Ben Gazzara.
Robert Vaughn is the perp
Dean Stockwell as the patsy for the murder
Patrick Macnee and Bernard Fox in supporting roles

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Troubled Waters

Columbo is a on cruise when a murder takes place so he helps the captain solve the crime. .

Directed by Ben Gazzara.

Also, the captain talks about meeting Mrs Columbo, so that ruins that silly online theory that Columbo is just making her up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Also, the captain talks about meeting Mrs Columbo, so that ruins that silly online theory that Columbo is just making her up.

Yup. Sometimes people online (including here) are just so obsessed with the 'unreliable narrator' thing that they still believe something isn't true when it's absolutely shown to be true.

Does Columbo lie to suspects about things wrt his wife? Absolutely. That's one of his methods of getting info from them. But there definitely is a Mrs. Columbo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I suspect Columbo has all the relatives he mentions, but only half or less of what he says about them is true.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Davros1 posted:

He's also mentioned the wife to his vet and other people who he would have no reason to lie to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The wife is a beard.
She does actually exist but she still is his beard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Actually you'll find that she's quite the accomplished sleuth herself!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Columbo's true love is Dog, who is the best boy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Troubled Waters

Directed by Ben Gazzara.

Falk is tanked for most of this one, and given that Gazzara is the Director he probably was as well. I like that in true 70s fashion there's a bunch of shots where they've just set up the camera and let Falk mingle among real people.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Columbo's wife absolutely exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I suspect Columbo has all the relatives he mentions, but only half or less of what he says about them is true.

He pretty much admits to that at the end of an early episode, Dead Weight

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just finished Double Exposure with my group. Probably the most evil villain yet, a guy in marketing... And on top of that, he cheats at golf!
The trick was one you can really see coming but it ends up working because Robert Culp just sells it so well. Good ep.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The villain in Ransom For A Dead Man is the absolutely the most evil character in the entire series. Even though I've watched the episode like five times there's still an amazing feeling of happiness and closure when Columbo traps her rear end at the end.

Suitable For Framing is another one with a deliciously evil murderer who gets their comeuppance in a satisfying way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rollie Fingers posted:

The villain in Ransom For A Dead Man is the absolutely the most evil character in the entire series. Even though I've watched the episode like five times there's still an amazing feeling of happiness and closure when Columbo traps her rear end at the end.

Suitable For Framing is another one with a deliciously evil murderer who gets their comeuppance in a satisfying way.

I dunno, I'd give the honor to Commissioner Halperin in "A Friend in Deed." He's rich, he's corrupt, he's unremorseful, and he takes others down with him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I dunno, I'd give the honor to Commissioner Halperin in "A Friend in Deed." He's rich, he's corrupt, he's unremorseful, and he takes others down with him.

Well, he is a cop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rollie Fingers posted:

Lee Grant is too pretty to be evil

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

There's no way a network could make an episode like that anymore.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

He’s a good shout for sure. That episode is my favourite in the whole series.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lee Grant is too pretty to be evil

Apart from being a murderer, she’s a tort lawyer who helps corporations escape damages and psychologically abuses an orphaned girl in her care.

Afaik she’s the only villain in the show who’s shown to be cruel to kids.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
But she offers free plane rides! And flies nice and calmly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Got to Flight of the Commodore on my marathon sesh.

Oof. That was a rough one.