Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Always a delight to see such a wonderful character actor!

Peter Falk is pretty good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Truly the only proper measuring stick for an actor is how well do they bounce off the Muppets.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

precision posted:

yeah Commodore isn't really "bad" to me because it's at least interesting

the episode in England where the entire first hour is just the theater troupe farting around, woof

Yeah I don't get the Commodore hate; amazing unique ending sequence with room full of suspects Colombo slowly works through, non-Irish asst. detective Mac whipping Columbo's car, a lot of Peter Falk screaming, 2nd murder that is a mystery. I guess it was potentially going to be the final episode of Columbo ever and Patrick McGoohan directing took it in a unique direction. The part with Columbo whispering in the girl's ear as she is meditating is always brought up as to why the episode is 'weird' but he had to do that to not break her concentration.
The England episode is pure shite for sure, besides the mental breakdown the guy has at the end quoting Shakespeare, and also the stagehand they try to get the umbrella off of who tells Columbo about his leg pain and the "da shrapnel at Alamein." Easily one of if not the worst episode of the first 5 seasons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Columbo and I vote.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Dawgstar posted:

Truly the only proper measuring stick for an actor is how well do they bounce off the Muppets.

Ricky Gervais is the worst I've ever seen at working with The Muppets.

Straight-up dogshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

Ricky Gervais is the worst I've ever seen at working with The Muppets.

Straight-up dogshit.

Well there you go! The system works.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm working my way through the revival episodes and so far the sex therapist one is the best of the bunch.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm working my way through the revival episodes and so far the sex therapist one is the best of the bunch.

Definitely one of the better episodes of the revival period. The College episode & the guillotine episode are my favorites.

Rewatching 'By Dawn's Early Light' and I think it might just be my favorite episode, definitely top 5. Starts off with McGoohan asking for Columbo to be removed 'off the premises' like he's some bum onlooker that is scavenging the ground, until he's told "that's Lieutenant Columbo sir." Columbo sleeping in the barracks with the cadets, moving the hooch cider they're fermenting so he can entrap the instructor with the timing & view he had from the canon.
This episode and the CIA one let you know where Columbo stands politically.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 19, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/joechoui/status/1582419562242273290?s=46&t=XFMWlPcXgLza1kqvYqoAzQ
It captures both shows perfectly - I especially challenge you not to hear Frasier and Niles' dialogue in their voices.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 5, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is somewhat topical.

Amazon Prime has the 1978 film The Cheap Detective right now, and it’s Falk in a sendup of old Bogart movies.

Some of the jokes and gags are better understood if one knows The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca, but the whole movie is funny regardless, and Falk is a treasure.

He played a similar type character in Murder By Death, a whodunnit spoof that I believe came out the year before.

He was kind of made to play this sort of part, and in a way I wish we’d been able to see him play the characters of Marlowe and Spade straight-up in the original films.

e: it’s got a great cast, too. Dom Deluise, Ann-Margret, Louise Fletcher, Madeline Kahn, Abe Vigoda, Nicol Williamson, Sid Caesar, and on and on

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 16, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh i forgot to say i finished the show. its great but oh god those ed mcbain adapations loving suck.

anyway my big take is if The Conspirators actually ended with the boat getting away it would have shot up from a decent episode to great. it would finally let a killer get a win which would be perfect for a finale, but columbo still catches them in what counts. columbo just out smarting them on every flank felt unnecessary.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Got the boxset as an anniversary gift yesterday. Awwwwww yes

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Awesome!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gee, that's wild. That really is something. How many movies you said? In that little box? I never ina million years would have figured. See my wife is a big film buff, huge, but she's a purist, you know. Has to have that big screen experience. The popcorn and soda, sticky seats.... Ahhh well, you know sir, I'm sure. But, uh, just one question though. One thing that's been bothering me.

You said this was an anniversary gift? But your anniversary isn't for a few more days. So, Mr. Gallinero, who really bought that set? Cuz I could a sworn you said your partner was, ah, away on a cruise ...

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm watching Columbo for the first time and up to season 3 episode 2 (Any Old Port in a Storm, guest starring Donald Pleasance, Julie Harris, Gary Conway) and it's the first time the first act ended and I had no confidence whatsoever that Columbo was going to be able to solve the murder. can't wait for him to prove me wrong!

this is a really fantastic and wonderful show

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it is! the Peacock Youtube channel has a bunch of clips up so you can skip around and just watch the big reveal endings to a bunch of episodes in a row. Obviously you shouldn't do that, but once you've finished the show it can be a nice way to kill 20 minutes here and there.

FilthyImp posted:

Gee, that's wild. That really is something. How many movies you said? In that little box? I never ina million years would have figured. See my wife is a big film buff, huge, but she's a purist, you know. Has to have that big screen experience. The popcorn and soda, sticky seats.... Ahhh well, you know sir, I'm sure. But, uh, just one question though. One thing that's been bothering me.

You said this was an anniversary gift? But your anniversary isn't for a few more days. So, Mr. Gallinero, who really bought that set? Cuz I could a sworn you said your partner was, ah, away on a cruise ...

My favorite Colombo fanfic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Aye Doc posted:

I'm watching Columbo for the first time and up to season 3 episode 2 (Any Old Port in a Storm, guest starring Donald Pleasance, Julie Harris, Gary Conway) and it's the first time the first act ended and I had no confidence whatsoever that Columbo was going to be able to solve the murder. can't wait for him to prove me wrong!

this is a really fantastic and wonderful show

That's my favorite episode of Columbo.

That scene where Pleasance and Falk are just hollering great line after great line at each other across a car park, while clearly at least a *little* bit tipsy because they were shooting at a real winery, delights me every time.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

jessica walter in a gat dang columbo, I love seeing all these surprises. I expected these early seasons to be old enough that I wouldn't recognize many folks because I was never a big old school TV/film buff, but there's 1 or more every episode who I know

BooDooBoo posted:

That's my favorite episode of Columbo.

That scene where Pleasance and Falk are just hollering great line after great line at each other across a car park, while clearly at least a *little* bit tipsy because they were shooting at a real winery, delights me every time.

love the ending too with Columbo setting him up with a nice dessert wine before he goes away

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

holy poo poo the Johnny Cash episode is absolutely insane. feel like somehow it's a dark turn for the show to take but drat this episode's been good. I would have loved this show for basically my entire adult life, I'm sad it took so long for me to bother checking it out

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Biggest 'hey I know them' stars for me are Billy Shatner, Cash and Leslie Nielsen twice, once as the husband (fiance?) of the murderer and a few seasons later as the murderer himself. But yeah anyone who lived through 70s pop culture would be recognizing multiple actors per episode. Colombo was like a high class Law and Order where it becomes its own little cottage industry for working actors in LA.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i always think about the jamie lee curtis bit even though its so small

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dick Van Dyke as a killer of the week was incredible because despite playing a terrible man he still seems really likeable.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I am just about to start that episode!!!

Why is season 6 only 3 episodes? That is insanely short

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

I am just about to start that episode!!!

Why is season 6 only 3 episodes? That is insanely short

columbo aired as part of a rotating series thing called The NBC Sunday Mystery Movie and the mystery movie series got canceled that season due to some falling ratings. they decided to separately go ahead with another season of Columbo after that. we could live in a tragic world where the show completely ended after those 3 episodes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

columbo aired as part of a rotating series thing called The NBC Sunday Mystery Movie

This is actually a pretty big part of how Colombo got made the way it did at all. The reason each episode is feature movie length, and that the acting and production values are so much higher than regular TV is they only had to air one episode a month. The other 3 weeks were 3 other shows that also aired once a month. They were called wheel series.

e:
Has anyone seen the other 2 popular shows that were in rotation with Colombo, McMillan & Wife and McCloud? Either of them approach the quality of our man Falk?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 20, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
And the reason for them even doing the Mystery Movie thing in the first place was that Peter Falk absolutely did not want to commit to a regular TV series schedule.
He was a serious film actor and didn't want to get tied up in TV, since that was seen as a lesser thing back then.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

MrBling posted:

And the reason for them even doing the Mystery Movie thing in the first place was that Peter Falk absolutely did not want to commit to a regular TV series schedule.
He was a serious film actor and didn't want to get tied up in TV, since that was seen as a lesser thing back then.
This, and mainly because he had a bad experience with the other series he did The Trials of O'Brien, and how much it took out of his social activities.

I've got about 6 episodes of O'Brien in varying bad quality; amazing hilarious show that I wish was available anywhere online because it's Falk as a degenerate lawyer.

NBC wanted to do 20+ episodes of Columbo first season but Falk wasn't down with it. I think in hindsight if he knew how iconic the show/character would become he would've been down to sacrifice some his leisure time for it. The first few seasons are of course a lot better than the later seasons, I do wish we could have had a lot more episodes made during early period.

knox fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 20, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

knox posted:

NBC wanted to do 20+ episodes of Columbo first season but Falk wasn't down with it. I think in hindsight if he knew how iconic the show/character would become he would've been down to sacrifice some his leisure time for it. The first few seasons are of course a lot better than the later seasons, I do wish we could have had a lot more episodes made during early period.

I don't think we would have gotten the same quality of guest actors if it was a 20+ episode season show.
Of course I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it must have been a lot easier to get bigger names to do Columbo because they knew it was a high quality thing and it was more of a special occasion rather than just a normal tv show.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have the feeling if they'd tried to make a 20+ episode season of Columbo it would've ended like Kolchak: a one-season wonder that the star himself pulled the plug on because it was getting stale fast.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrBling posted:

This cannot be over-emphasized. Back then being movie actor in the big screen was a huge step up in the ladder from the TV actors. Even doing series of TV movies was pushing it. Going to TV series as a regular was considered a step down towards retirement and something that was really difficult to undo especially if that show wasn't a headliner success.

Even as late as late 80's there was a clear pecking order; for example at Paramount the movie division gets to take whatever they want from the TV productions, and TV productions simply had to dance around that fact. If the TV productions wanted to use a prop made by the movie division, they might get it provided that there was no immediate intended use in any movie production. And they still might get "no" as an answer.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh i forgot to say i finished the show. its great but oh god those ed mcbain adapations loving suck.

anyway my big take is if The Conspirators actually ended with the boat getting away it would have shot up from a decent episode to great. it would finally let a killer get a win which would be perfect for a finale, but columbo still catches them in what counts. columbo just out smarting them on every flank felt unnecessary.

I'm with ya m8, at least letting the boat get out of their jurisdiction and away but still arresting Devlin/having the scene with them sitting at same table again wouldve been good. It did feel like Columbo was leaning sympathically to the cause for sure, with how friendly he is with Devlin the entire episode. Good middle of the pack episode for me.

My top 5 in no order still;
By Dawn's Early Light
Suitable for Framing
Etude in Black
Murder By the Book
Identity Crisis

Prescription Murder pilot, Any Old Port in Storm, Troubled Waters honorable mentions

knox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 21, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

This cannot be over-emphasized. Back then being movie actor in the big screen was a huge step up in the ladder from the TV actors. Even doing series of TV movies was pushing it. Going to TV series as a regular was considered a step down towards retirement and something that was really difficult to undo especially if that show wasn't a headliner success.

The reason :clint: went to Italy and made the Dollars Trilogy was because he couldn't get movie roles in LA since he was 'just' a TV actor at the time. Worth it IMO.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Moonlighting rules by the way, this conversation reminded me of that a bit. Bruce went right from Moonlighting to getting a record zillion dollars for Die Hard, so it seems at least in some cases TV actors were getting treated well going into film. By the 80s at least. Tom Hanks was in Splash just a couple years after Bosom Buddies, but it was a thing for sure.

Columbo rules, I gotta watch more of that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been watching Poker Face and loving it, so decided to watch Columbo since the former is very, very, very open about cribbing heavily from the latter. The first pilot with the psychiatrist who is so utterly convinced of his superior mind (he doesn't discount Columbo in the slightest! He just thinks he's smarter/better prepared!) and can't help taunting Columbo with hypotheticals that end up hanging him was so good. Especially since the episode wraps up with him just standing and smoking in a kind of bewildered acceptance that he got completely played :allears:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

everyone's going to rediscover Columbo because of Poker Face, this was Rian Johnson's sick plan the whole time wasn't it. my Columbo re-watch is going super, up through end of season 4 now and this season felt like it was absolutely loaded with good episodes and *amazing* guest stars. it's making me wonder..... is Murder she Wrote worth a watch at all if I'm vibing with Columbo? it's a looooot of content to get through, maybe I'd just watch the first 6 seasons or something, but does it scratch the same itch as Poker Face/Columbo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No where near as good, IMO.

Mostly because, as with a lot of crime shows, the presence of the MC creates a crime wave that would make even the most pessimistic 90s Crime Statisticians wet with glee.

IIRC Cozy Cove (or whatever Murder she Wrote's location is) would be the murder capitol of several nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah don't watch the TV show, it's a TV show.