Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BWV posted:

I think WCW Nitro got more screen time than any of Jordan's spouses, children, or siblings.

i personally know which one is more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I think dropping 38-7-5 in the finals with a hangover would be the ultimate goat move so LeBron has to do that if he wants the title.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is Jerry Reinsdorf in a nutshell.

https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/1262439638226145283

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

So the burning ceremony was at the end of the regular season? Hehir really played fast and loose with the timeline

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Not sure if it was posted but this interview with Bomani is really interesting

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bomani-jones-on-michael-jordan-the-last-dance-and-activism-in-the-nba

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

mastershakeman posted:

How the gently caress do you get to root for the red wings, packers and bulls

I've heard of ridiculous 2 city rooters but never 3 come on. Everyone at my school by the state line was a packers/bulls fan (odd, never the bucks...weird...) but you take the cake

In hindsight, I agree that it was bullshit, but I was also between the ages of five and eight for this period so consistency wasn't a big deal to me. Here's why it happened:

- Lived in Michigan, so Red Wings fan
- Dad's side of the family lives in the U.P., so Packers fan (Mom conceded pro football allegiance in exchange for getting to raise us as Wolverines fans instead of Sparties)
- Nobody gave the slightest gently caress about the Pistons in the mid-to-late '90s so everyone at my school, myself included, was a bandwagon Bulls fan because of Space Jam
- I wasn't really a fan of any baseball team during this time period because the Tigers were bad and the home run race was more about individuals than teams, but I was definitely a fan of the individuals

Pretty much the minute Jordan retired, my allegiance did return to the Pistons, so my sports fandoms are now completely Michigan-centric with the exception of the Packers. Yoopers are opportunistic as gently caress.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BWV posted:

Not sure if it was posted but this interview with Bomani is really interesting

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bomani-jones-on-michael-jordan-the-last-dance-and-activism-in-the-nba

I mean, everything involving Bomani is good but this quote really sums it up for me:

Bo posted:

It helps that, as an athlete, he’s a pretty simple guy: I want to win it. I will kill people in order to do so. Everything makes sense when you base it off of that right there. Even his endorsement stuff, it’s pretty simple: I do big brands that everybody can buy. There’s nothing about them that’s really hard to understand. I do think that in the documentary, when you’re watching the one episode where his voice never quivers when he talks about losing his father, but he starts crying when he talks about his competitive drive, that is the most fascinating insight you have out of all of it. Maybe it’s just that he’s made peace with his father and he’s had more time to deal with that than he has with playing basketball. I have no idea. But I do agree that even if you didn’t come away from this feeling like you learned something new about the whole Michael Jordan story, I do feel like you come away from this with a fairly decent handle on what kind of dude he is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/JordanJamming/status/1262415914475061256?s=19

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And just like that, the Chicago Bulls were never good again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

And just like that, the Chicago Bulls were never good again.

Except for those few years where they lucked into Derrick Rose, but then kept getting beat by Lebron in the playoffs, then Rose blew out his knee and that was that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

michael jordan has never had fun playing sports. he might joke around but he's not having fun. he is weeping for his own inability to turn it off and enjoy things like a normal person does

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

algebra testes posted:

I mean, everything involving Bomani is good but this quote really sums it up for me:

quote:

I do think that in the documentary, when you’re watching the one episode where his voice never quivers when he talks about losing his father, but he starts crying when he talks about his competitive drive, that is the most fascinating insight you have out of all of it.

Lol.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the pizza hut man has come out to refute MJ's claims

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/news/michael-jordan-food-poisoning-pizza-hut-story-conspiracy-theory/1076wjdm1k9zi1oqscfgmhgj39

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

I didn't feel that way. His eyes definitely water up a few times when he's talking about his Dad. You see how emotional he is after winning the 4th title. They end the episode with him sobbing on the floor.

The documentary was great but Jordan is kind of a boring person. He's an rear end in a top hat who is insanely competitive. Cared about people in his inner circle and that's it.

I wish they had gone more into his relationship with the media. One of the fascinating parts was seeing what an rear end in a top hat he was to people and then how he just flipped a switch when the cameras were on. Never yelled at reporters or was mean. Almost a master at manipulating them and probably why a lot of the darker stuff in his career was never mentioned.

Also would love to have seen more behind the scenes stuff and stories. The infamous story about he flipped over the training table that Scott Burrell was on or the time Bill Cartwright told Jordan he'd break his legs if he ever poo poo talked him to teammates again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There cannot possibly be anyone on Earth who actually believes that poisoned pizza story

The world would be so much better if Barkley had been the dominant player of that era, he'd be bragging about whooping someone's rear end while hung over instead of trying to cook up some insane story with his kiss rear end cop bodyguards so Gatorade doesn't get mad at him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 19, 2020

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, if you can think of a more plausible explanation than "A Pizza Hut found out Michael Jordan ordered a pizza, procured pizza poison and sent five people to ensure Michael Jordan received and ate the poisoned pizza" then I'm all ears

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
get his rear end, horace

https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/status/1262847614753443840?s=19

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it'd be possible to make a good MJ documentary, but it would have to be done without MJ, and the one we got was certainly the least interesting possibility. I also don't think either Hehir or Jordan were particularly interested in a good documentary about the bulls championship teams in general, or about anything particular to basketball. The directorial stance seemed to be that of a cameraman permanently jaw-dropped that he got to talk to His Airness.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Should have covered why Jordan wouldn’t appear in any of the basketball video games.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Bird in a Blender posted:

Should have covered why Jordan wouldn’t appear in any of the basketball video games.

$

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

All the hits!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you could literally play as three different jordans in the greatest basketball game of all time NBA Street v. II

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What if I wanted to jam but also keep talking?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The dedicated poo poo talking accelerator card hadn't been invented yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

if you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest

All I know is the chaos dunk.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't believe the last dance didn't even mention Brian Williams AKA Bison Dele who played KEY MINUTES for the '97 bulls

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't believe the last dance didn't even mention Brian Williams AKA Bison Dele who played KEY MINUTES for the '97 bulls

the only noteworthy or interesting thing about bison dele

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/LawMurrayTheNU/status/1262833705308942337?s=19

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I did not remember Robert Parish playing for the Bulls. :aaa:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember a couple years after Smith's book came out, the rumor was that Horace was the main source. I can't remember where I read this at the time, but I always assumed Jordan was the one pushing that rumor.

Then, several years later, I read somewhere else that it was more Phil Jackson, than Horace.

Trying to google this now brings up mostly the current news story involving Grant. Who do you all think the main sources were?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He was a beat writer so he probably just saw a lot of stuff on his own. Beyond that I assume everyone talked.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sam Smith was tight with Horace but I assume he was confirming all that stuff with multiple sources rather than just relying on one person. He was a beat writer so he's around the team and staff constantly, he was talking to everyone. Jordan and Horace supposedly never got along all that well and then he left so he was an easy person to scapegoat for it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 20, 2020

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
w/r/t the Jordan "toughening up" hazing/abuse/etc Program for Winning

imagine if Sobel from Band of Brothers not only took the Band to war, but loving dominated every situation. Taking out machine gun nets, pillboxes, killing men with his bare hands and just generally being the best at war of all time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I remember a couple years after Smith's book came out, the rumor was that Horace was the main source. I can't remember where I read this at the time, but I always assumed Jordan was the one pushing that rumor.

Then, several years later, I read somewhere else that it was more Phil Jackson, than Horace.

Trying to google this now brings up mostly the current news story involving Grant. Who do you all think the main sources were?

everyone but jordan and krause probably leaked some stuff but phil was likely the worst offender

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

everyone but jordan and krause probably leaked some stuff but phil was likely the worst offender

I really wouldn't assume that just because they're the most aggrieved about it that they didn't talk to Sam

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

I really wouldn't assume that just because they're the most aggrieved about it that they didn't talk to Sam

i mean i'm sure they talked to sam in passing but as far as leaking the good poo poo i don't think krause would leak anything that painted him in a poor light and i don't think jordan would leak anything that would contradict the narrative he created with nike

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Parish was a serious black belt and would throw down with anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7A9-21vRGw

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-cb-chicago-bulls-1998-99-roster-20200520-tiolhx3gyfd6zahnktj7lxmzfq-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/20/the-last-dance-espn-lebron-james-michael-jordan-nba

all I could take away from this is that LeBron paid this writer to post this