Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"there's seven of the twenty one feet of poo poo"

-me, whispering to my wife when bill wennington is on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
MJ drunk as poo poo lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Listen Bulls fans we have had our differences but let us enjoy dunking on Tim Floyd together

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dang Mike's mom still looks good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

my aunt, who was once married to a guy who worked for the Iowa Hawkeyes basketball team in the early 1990s, told me recently that once when I visited him at work and got to meet some of the players I pointed at one of the black players and said "Michael Jordan!" really loud to everyone. apparently I just assumed all black basketball players were Michael Jordan

edit: I am super glad that this is the top of the page

just stoked

when they started talking about them announcing before the season that phil wasn't coming back i immediately thought about tom davis and got so mad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Can't believe this narc is some of y'all's GOAT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Michael Jordan, who apparently refused to be interviewed without some bourbon in arm's reach, hates partying

think it's tequila

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

the great ones tell their bookies "not today"

tell that to his dad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Luc Longley sighting so we have now seen 14 of the 21 feet of poo poo. Give me Joe Klein.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

krause was a pretty good GM in terms of putting a team together, he just loved swindling dudes

Pippin (top 5 out of a loving NAIA school or whatever) and Grant in the same draft has to be way up there for the best draft ever and he was actually right about Kukoc, even though Toni is only going to ever be remembered as the guy Jordan and Scottie hated.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I was curious about what kind of edit Krause was going to get and it's pretty funny so far.

It is kinda lovely because he's dead and can't exactly defend himself but on the other hand kicking Phil loving Jackson to the curb for Tim Floyd is hard to defend

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Someone needs to sit Pippen down and have an honest conversation about his hairline

think he just has a weird head because it's always looked like that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao what the gently caress is bill clinton in this

i didn't look but if they didn't identity him as "former Arkansas resident" someone hosed up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Diddie posted:

They really are jumping all over the place

Yeah for all the UNPRECEDENTED ACCESS talk it's basically a bunch of Jordan stories that everyone already knew

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

there's literally no unexplored corners to jordan, he is literally one of the most famous people in the 20th century

i'm just hyped because i want to relive watching my lovely basketball team own people before sinking into lake michigan

It's still fun to relive a lot of it and I'm okay spending less time with the series where they made 10 year old me cry it just probably would have been a lot more interesting if they narrowed the focus and spent more time digging into the end and doing like a Break of the Game style deep dive on that last year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Silly Burrito posted:

Serious question, why didn't they just fire Jerry Krause?

A lot of the contract poo poo people were mad at him for was probably him doing Reinsdorf's dirty work. He built a really good team!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Context is fine but like this episode started with a focus on Pippen, then cover Michael's childhood, then jumped back to this second season with a few other pit stops along the way. It's just a weird structure

Yeah it'd have been cool to spend more time on Pippen too because he's a really unexplored figure for someone that good and a cool story

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Man no one ever jumped higher for his jump shot than young Jordan

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i remember the chicago press giving pippen a hard time also growing up for some reason

Between openly complaining about his contract deservedly so, but fans and press were even more extreme bootlickers back then) and sitting out the last play of that one playoff game in the Jordan baseball season he caught a ton of poo poo for a long time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i remember the chicago press giving pippen a hard time also growing up for some reason

Was dying to get the Joe Klien episode

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Still laughing that Jordan forced them to awkwardly shoehorn in his dumb high school story.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I enjoyed last night but (like many) I'm hoping they integrate more of the original footage and feature less interviews. I get that they needed to do a lot of context/setting up from the get go but I just want to be a fly on the wall during that season and see all the small moments along the way. If Jordan was the true GOAT he'd demand the raw footage be made free-use and let the entire world make their own documentaries out of it.

I really don't think they needed like 90% of the Jordan set up stuff. He's almost literally the most famous human who has ever lived, you don't need to spend a bunch of time talking that time Larry Bird called him god or him making the shot at UNC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It doesn't really matter now because there's nothing else to watch but it's pretty clear it didn't need to be anything close to 10 hours. OJ Made in America was 7 and it was covering way more ground.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Scottie was pretty cooked by 98, his back was wrecked and he had the foot thing. He hung around for quite awhile (and, good for him, finally made real money) and had some moments but he was never even close to the same player. He got screwed on pay by the Bulls (though he and his agent deserve some blame for agreeing to such a long deal without considering that it might look bad at the end) but they probably let him go at the right time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I do not believe a single loving thing that Reinsdorf says, if he really thought Pippen shouldn't take it he could have offered him more or renegotiated it later.

The absolute shittiest part of the doc is that Reinsdorf is on there playing the reasonable benevolent owner while letting a dead guy take all the bullets for him being a tight rear end.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan got locked into a similar deal where it was for a fairly long term and very quickly became a huge underpay but they made it up to him for his last two years where he was on one year deals for like $35 million or something and by far the highest paid guy in the league. Also his salary generally was a drop in the bucket compared to his endorsement stuff which was not true of Scottie as evidenced by his most famous ad being about loving a large sandwich

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Carlosologist posted:

So through four episodes my question is: where the hell was Jerry Reinsdorf to rein in Krause?

Krause did exactly what he wanted which was take all the bullets for Reinsdorf being a tight rear end. It's not like Krause decided not to renegotiate Pippen's deal or refuse to give Jackson a big raise all on his own. Keeping costs down was always Jerry's primary concern with the Bulls and why he did poo poo like promote a random baseball scout to GM into the first place. That he turned out to be pretty decent at the job and built a dynasty was just a happy accident. If anything Krause being a weird and unlikable person was a point in his favor because it made it more likely that the press and players would focus all their ire on him instead of ownership.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Not interesting:
-dating Madona when she was one of the biggest stars in the world
-going on a multiple day bender in the middle of a basketball season and then coming back like it was no big deal and contributing to a title team
-pushing the boundaries of sexuality in a hyper masculine field at a time when that was way less socially acceptable
-becoming a massive crossover star despite scoring 6 points a game
-being better at rebounding that anyone has ever been at any other basketball thing

Interesting:
-reading michael eisner biographies
-making wacky football bets
-playing fantasy football with members of the Jimmy Kimmel Expanded Universe
-watching fast and the furious movies
-staying up until 2 am playing blackjack with your bros Johnny Sex Crimes and Valtrex Steve

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

That was one of those things where as I'm listening to Rusillo explain his reasoning I think "okay sure, that makes sense," but now, not even three hours later I couldn't explain why he said it. I think it mostly boiled down to Rodman didn't have an ethos behind his actions.

Ah yes the guy who can't get through three sentences without telling a gym story and who though Danny Kanell deserved to be a national radio host, there's who I want deciding what's interesting

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

Imagine being friends with people like Wesley Morris and thinking "I want to hear Ryen Russillo's take on Dennis Rodman's cultural significance."

gently caress I didn't even think about this but Wesley Morris on Dennis Rodman is a podcast I would love so much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"I wore a wedding dress for my marriage to carmen electra, starred in an action movie with jean claude van damme, main evented multiple pay per views with hulk hogan, and was a hall of fame player for two of the most famous title teams in history"

Ugh, boring

"I ordered three different dinners at once"

I must make you the host of seven podcasts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

He was actually a not-terrible scorer early in his career too. He averaged double-digit points per game one season!

He was a fairly normal (really loving good) defense first wing for the era when he started and while he remained a great defender for the rest of his career he also decided at some point 5-6 years in that he wanted to get rebounds more than anything else in the world and he went from averaging 8-9 a game to suddenly averaging like 18 a game. It is maybe the weirdest basketball career of all time

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 27, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michael Jordan has never worn a suit that fits that well in his entire life

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Pretty sure he's also never worn a pair of pants that has fit properly in his entire life.

Not true!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MrMojok posted:

My main takeaway so far is that LeBron stans on twitter are so mentally and emotionally weak that they take the mere existence of this documentary as a personal attack.

the documentary only exists because jordan got mad that a bunch of people started to argue lebron might be better after the '16 finals, he gave them permission to do it literally the day of the cavs victory parade

ruddiger posted:

Someone make a gif of that clip with Ron Harper when he’s talking about not being assigned to guard MJ.

“Yeah. Okay. Whatever. gently caress that poo poo.”

this clip is extremely funny but ehlo gets a bad rap he had a monster fourth quarter in that game and MJ had to hang in the air for like half an hour and double clutch to get off his shot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stockton was way better when they picked the team and Isiah can eat a butt

https://twitter.com/AlokPattani/status/1257033091337478144?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

I gotta say I know a lot about Jordan and Rodman and pippin but I really know basically nothing about Kukoc

Really good player who was way ahead of his time and it sucks that the only thing people remember about him is Jordan and Pippen being pissy about Krause (justifiably) liking him.

He played the Dream Team again in the Gold Medal game and was really good but literally no one ever talks about that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I feel like we’re going to get these tweets every week

Lol yeah last week was supposed to be when they got into all the new stuff and then we got like half an hour on the Ehlo shot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I was just gonna say, I'm glad they're covering that in this

Yeah I'm surprised they did, it usually gets erased in any dream team story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I didn't know it was his mom who asked him. What a tool.

Everything I have ever seen or heard about his mom makes her seem like the nicest lady who has ever lived