Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MourningView posted:

this clip is extremely funny but ehlo gets a bad rap he had a monster fourth quarter in that game and MJ had to hang in the air for like half an hour and double clutch to get off his shot

Yeah, that shot was a wild contested double clutch shot. Ehlo played very good defense on that posession.

That's just Ron Harper talking up his importance, but BJ Armstrong was a way better player overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If they could cut up Jordan's modern interviews with how much bullshit he is, it would be a fantastic doc. Unfortunately, it's occasionally interesting as is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Some of the Jordan lying is fun, but the direction of 'x slighted Jordan, gets owned by Jordan' is getting old.

The series with the 96 sonics has a lot of interesting stories going on within it and they just kinda lame it up, but they lame up almost anything that isn't the story of Jordan in the doc.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 11, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spite posted:

GP guarded Jordan better that series than anyone before or after. If Karl wasn't a moron Seattle would have won. That oakland poo poo talk is unmatched.

The later games Seattle won had as much to do with them actually hitting their 3s as much as anything else. In the final game of the series the stretch bigs Karl was playing hit 0-for-9 from 3.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mastershakeman posted:

All I remember from the 96 series is rodman making Frank brikowski the angriest man in the world

People call Vlade a flopper, but man, Dennis Rodman knew how to do it to a T.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spite posted:

That's a good point.
But Chicago depended on Jordan scoring 1/3-1/2 their points and if he can't do that efficiently Seattle has an opening. Chicago would have had more time to adjust so maybe it doesn't matter but I think there's a good chance Seattle wins.

I actually kinda understand Karl's decision to try to have Payton save his energy for offense as they were going to have trouble scoring no matter what as Chicago could man up Kemp, Schrempf, and Payton pretty well. I think his approach looks a lot better if his team isn't dead cold in the first three games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The MJ hagiography aspects of the doc just kinda come to the fore in the last two episodes. I thought it kinda needed Kerr's story to be earlier, as that's genuinely good stuff, but I imagine Hehir thought it would be boring to have everyone's origin story in the first half.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

morestuff posted:

Like with Gus in the same episode, he waits to introduce a lot of people until they're relevant to the narrative. It makes sense on some level but it's also just bad storytelling.

Hey here's this guy who meant a lot to Jordan, he had cancer, Jordan gave him a game ball. Moving on

It's funny, the stuff with MJ's bodyguards is the best stuff in the documentary, so much of the 10 hours are wasted with "look how good MJ is at basketball"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Woofer posted:

Michael Jordan, known for putting all of his business out there, only really addressed the the business that is already out there?

Who could have seen this coming?

I don't know why you watch a documentary to only see the most obvious and facile stuff, though. I don't really feel like Hehir got a whole lot out of all the time put in, just some new Jordan gifs.

Spite posted:

My favorite part are all the interviews with Jason Hehir where he says "This isn't a puff piece, that would be against my journalistic integrity"

lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it'd be possible to make a good MJ documentary, but it would have to be done without MJ, and the one we got was certainly the least interesting possibility. I also don't think either Hehir or Jordan were particularly interested in a good documentary about the bulls championship teams in general, or about anything particular to basketball. The directorial stance seemed to be that of a cameraman permanently jaw-dropped that he got to talk to His Airness.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The weirdest part for me was the inclusion of MJ's kids, with what they did why even bother?

I think maybe in a less rushed doc they would've been cut, but I don't think MJ was ever going to let anything to do with his family in. It dramatically weakens the documentary though as Hehir has to fill everything in with "Wow, Michael Jordan sure was good at basketball, guys!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Barry Bonds did nothing wrong