Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope the dude from American Psycho made 100mill for his literal 3 sec cameo on TLJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Greedo shooting first is canon, and Han Solo is overrated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ben Solo is Luke and Leias son

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Temple of doom is much, MUCH better than return of the jedi

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
"Avatar" takes place in the star wars universe. That big tree? The force!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rise of Skywalker owns because space wizard Sheev is cooler in every way than boring as gently caress snoke and sheev should have won and brought back the empire and dumping all over TLJ was the best thing to ever happen to a star war

Sheev won, he's possessing Rey.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Francis ford coppola directed star wars a new hope. You can see him in a shot where c3po is wandering through the desert. He his holding a bottle of wine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

indigi posted:

TLJ is a good movie hidden inside a longer, worse movie

yeah. thats a good point. i like alot of TLJ but a bunch of it is boring or sucks and good parts were cut.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Chewbacca should have hung with luke and rey, ghost hayden/burnt mask ghost vader should have trained kylo in the last one. no i did not see 9, thank you

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FunkyAl posted:

seconded

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I will say however that the jabba scene is better than the rest of star wars combined, and i "choose to believe" that jim henson and whoever the really great other directors and setpeople that worked with him and probably some special effects types did most/all of the legwork on that and not george or richard. I mean george came up with the guys at least, and richard drank a lot of water.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FunkyAl posted:

Same but the somewhat more niche opinion that Indiana Jones Adventure is a better ride than Star Tours

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's like 20 minutes of Temple of Doom that aren't completely painful, as opposed to Return of the Jedi, which rules start to finish

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
They should do a Hutt crime family series. It can be a shot for shot remake of the Sopranos, but all aliens. The tony breathing heavily scenes work even better with a hutt.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jabba: Who ate the last frog in the fishbowl? WHO ATE THE LAST FUCCKIN FROG IN THE COCK SUCKIN FISHBOWL?!

Bib Fortuna: I dunno Jab'

Jabba: *heavy breathing* MOTHER FUCKER!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They should make a Star Wars movie where the dialog is nothing but alien gibberish language and see how long people are willing to put up with watching it for.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

They should make a Star Wars movie where the dialog is nothing but alien gibberish language and see how long people are willing to put up with watching it for.

My memory tells me this was what every sidequest in the KotOR games did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I could watch a ten part subs only documentary on Star Wars' Droid Football

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

nine-gear crow posted:

Seeing as I hate dubbed films and in all circumstances prefer films and dialogue be in the intended character/creature language I would he totally fine with this and probably enjoy it more :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

nine-gear crow posted:

Reminds me of the option on the Galaxy Quest DVD to watch the movie dubbed in the Thermians' language.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars movie.

Thrawn Trilogy would have made superior Sequel Movies.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy, and I have to say, they would be better then the sequels but just barely.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I kind of like Star Wars.

gently caress. close the thread

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

He gets all the weight off and becomes Jabba the Hot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slashrat posted:

That was my exact thought when typing that post up. "KotOR is probably 75% the same six lines of species-specific gibberish when you break it down on a per-line basis."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

oh but seriously I posted:

He gets all the weight off and becomes Jabba the Hot

Swolla the Cutt

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Star Wars, the whole OT but especially IV, would have been almost purely better without any space elements. It's a Western with wizards, and the same plot and themes and supernatural elements happening just outright in America would have been both more fun and more provocative.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah, you can reset star wars in a fantasy setting, and the only thing you really lose is the ww2 dogfighting. Replace that with airships, dragons, griffins, cloaks of flying, and you're golden.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Paploo is a better Ewok than Wicket.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, you can reset star wars in a fantasy setting, and the only thing you really lose is the ww2 dogfighting. Replace that with airships, dragons, griffins, cloaks of flying, and you're golden.

Honestly just actually have it be "WW2 but some guys developed hippie magic" would rule.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Opinion: Jar Jar was Essential

Reason: He's a loving dipshit. We know that. He got kicked out of his secret clan. When Qui_Gon and Ewan McGregor land on Naboo they need to warn the queen and all that about the impending invasion, an invasion that administration is unequipped to fend off. But Jar Jar mentions in his goofy patois that he knows where theres a big secret army. The only reason Naboo was able to fight back against the Trade Federales is because the Jedi convinced the Gungans that they and the Naboo-ese are in a symbiotic relationship, so Boss Hog/Nass lends his army to help fight the droids.

It's stupid and convoluted and has a lot of blubbering and tongue jokes but basically if Jar Jar never called the Boss Fish's wife a name he wouldn't have been ostracized and thus the the Jedi and Jane Foster never would have known about an army let alone utilized it to help protect their water city.

Also, since Palpatine's failed on Naboo, he then plays on Jar Jar's kindergarten intellect to convince him to call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vellum (because okay for some dumb reason everyone thought Jar Jar would be a good senator and would act accordingly in the queens stead while she was off fighting bugs and 3-eyed cats) which then gives the Republic over to the Empire.

Jar Jar was important and his dumb antics are what got him kicked out of his secret water club thus putting into place both good and bad things.

Star Wars is dumb and I love it.

I'll take a jr bacon double and a large frosty.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

dudeness posted:

I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy, and I have to say, they would be better then the sequels but just barely.

There are parts of the novels today that Zahn would probably re-write considerably, but they have coherent vision and are a natural extension of the OT. Unlike the sequels that went 'lol soft reset'.

Also, the characters in the novels are actually smart. And there is only one time characters infiltrate a Star Destroyer, unlike 3(+) times in the sequels.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

There are parts of the novels today that Zahn would probably re-write considerably, but they have coherent vision and are a natural extension of the OT. Unlike the sequels that went 'lol soft reset'.

Also, the characters in the novels are actually smart. And there is only one time characters infiltrate a Star Destroyer, unlike 3(+) times in the sequels.

If you go back and re-read the original Thrawn trilogy, the actual prose is loving godawful. The characters don't have conversations with each other, they just deliver monologues.

And every other sentence, someone responds with "Point."

Point point point point point.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Star Wars X could literally be a reboot but hundreds or even thousands of years later and it would totally fit in the universe and work.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Slashrat posted:

And it loving ruled.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Yuzaan Vong from the EU books were bad not because they were goth edgelord aliens (though that is true), but because they were an alien invasion story that effectively justified the xenophobic philosophy of the Empire; implying that fascism was the better alternative to the democratic New Republic government.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

If you go back and re-read the original Thrawn trilogy

With all due respect and much love, I am not gonna do that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nothing in Star Wars has ever been improved buy explaining it, and the the setting actually shrinks the more attempts are made at expanding it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Nothing in Star Wars has ever been improved buy explaining it, and the the setting actually shrinks the more attempts are made at expanding it.

I think the best example of this outside of midichlorians (gently caress midichlorians!!!) is probably Force lightning and how everyone can do it if they've gone up the Force Lightning skill tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Timby posted:

If you go back and re-read the original Thrawn trilogy, the actual prose is loving godawful. The characters don't have conversations with each other, they just deliver monologues.

And every other sentence, someone responds with "Point."

Point point point point point.

Ehhh, it's not that bad. Way worse examples out there. And still way better than the dialog in the Sequel Trilogy.