Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
11yo beagle has been on Kirkland's senior food for a few years, but he's been pretty farty for the past year or so, and is constantly eating grass. What's a good food to try for sensitive senior stomachs?

Price isn't really an issue, more-so convenience: Something found at Petsmart, Costco, or Chewy is preferred.

edit: I ended up getting Purina Pro Plan: Sensitive Skin & Stomach, lamb & oatmeal formula. Couldn't find anything both for seniors and digestion, but this seemed to have good reviews. We'll see how his farts improve.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I have 2 new cats, about a year old. One has had soft stools since we got her 2 months ago. The vet checked her out and did a stool sample for parasites but it came up clean. The vet seems generally unconcerned, they just emailed the stool sample results to me and said nothing after. Maybe I don't have a veterinary degree but I feel like if it were me I would offer a next step, or theory, to that pet owner, but he seems unconcerned and maybe soft stool is not really something needed to be addressed....? I guess my next step is to switch foods, if maybe its fix is as simple as that? I have no idea which direction to go, but would prefer not to go toward prescription food prices just yet especially since the 2 cats share a bowl free-feeding. We're on dry Royal Canin Indoor, is Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach a good sidestep to see if the stool issues resolve, or if it's not a true RX line is it just all marketing and not *actually* good for stomachs?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Pollyanna posted:

Does she vomit? Often, rarely, never? If she does, is it mostly food, or is it just white foam or bile?

How often does she go #2? Once a day, or more frequently than once a day?

How consistent is the consistency? Always soft and gross, or only sometimes?

Has her weight changed recently? e.g. noticeable drops or ballooning?

Does she seems like she drinks a lot of water, or has started drinking more water than usual over time?

How is her mood? Has her behavior changed significantly, or stayed the same?

No vomiting. Poops probably twice per day, not really true liquid diarrhea just almost no shape/form to it, and I think it is all the time but it’s hard to tell, with 2 cats. No noticeable weight, drinking, or behavior changes, but I’ve only had her 2 months so we don’t have a firm baseline for those. She’s a small girl, about 6 lbs and change. The vet does think she has cat herpes due to her eye goopies and sneezing, if that could be relevant. And she has what *I* think is a lot of earwax but again the vet wasn’t concerned - did an ear swab and didn’t see any mites, but gave a dose of Revolution just in case.

Edit: she’s been on a sensitive stomach food for about a week (slow transition, so about half-old and half-new now) and also have been giving her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin twice per day as well. Poops are much better. Not perfect turds yet but a lot better.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 1, 2023

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

No vomiting. Poops probably twice per day, not really true liquid diarrhea just almost no shape/form to it, and I think it is all the time but it’s hard to tell, with 2 cats. No noticeable weight, drinking, or behavior changes, but I’ve only had her 2 months so we don’t have a firm baseline for those. She’s a small girl, about 6 lbs and change. The vet does think she has cat herpes due to her eye goopies and sneezing, if that could be relevant. And she has what *I* think is a lot of earwax but again the vet wasn’t concerned - did an ear swab and didn’t see any mites, but gave a dose of Revolution just in case.

Edit: she’s been on a sensitive stomach food for about a week (slow transition, so about half-old and half-new now) and also have been giving her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin twice per day as well. Poops are much better. Not perfect turds yet but a lot better.

I’m back, with a new vet… we went on metronidazole and some yellow antidiarrheal liquid I don’t remember the name of, it didn’t really help. Now we’re on probiotics and it’s about the same as it was on pumpkin. The vet wants to do more metronidazole (PLEASE no… she hates it so much and barely swallows much as it is…) and suspects a chicken allergy. But the foods I’ve seen are so expensive, and I want to feed both cats the same thing…

Does anyone know an affordable chicken-free cat food?