Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

crabcakes dogg posted:

For mp3 players, order a iPod Mini 2nd generation from ebay, an iFlash CF-SD adapter, 256GB SD card, and a new battery. It takes like 10 minutes to swap all of this out and you're left with a perfectly functioning old school iPod with 256GB of storage and the option to Rockbox it if you want, allowing it to play other formats (FLAC, APE, etc.) and better battery life.

100% agree with this. You're much better going for your iPod of choice (like the 5th gen iPod Video, my personal favorite) and fixing it up with more capacity and a new battery than fooling around with annoying cassettes. A modded iPod is especially cool and genuinely functional for the gym or long walks, unlike a bulky as gently caress Walkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
This Techmoan guy is pretty good. :lol: that even the best tapes with all but the best noise reduction have some hiss. I mostly listen to black metal nowadays so that's all part of the charm for me anyway

olives black fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BlueBlazer posted:

Install any non-spec operating system whether that's nix on a smartphone or windows on your toilet. It's all an effort in futility. BRB, gonna install OSX on my water cooler.

why on Earth would I use Windows for anything other than upgrading the BIOS

again, actual self harm is not welcome in this thread

olives black fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 20, 2020

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Watching all your movies on HD-DVD.

and also watching them on you first gen xbox 360

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

canning your own spam

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
tapeline.info sells blank cassettes for around $2 a pop:

https://tapeline.info/v2/black-screwed-cassettes.html

Also found some cheapo Walkmans on eBay.

Now I just have to settle on a tape deck and amp.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I drive manual because it’s more fun. Just nailing a downshift without any jolt, nothing like it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

skooma512 posted:

I drive manual because it’s more fun. Just nailing a downshift without any jolt, nothing like it.

how hard is learning how to drive stick as someone who's been made soft by 15 years of driving automatics?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Andenno posted:

I'm a weak baby who can't squat 500 lbs, but I thought this was the opposite of how it worked. Like doing free weights strengthens your stabilizer muscles and engages multiple muscle groups, which would help your posture and pain.

Free weights are better marginally for muscle development, and do exactly what you say. However, it is true that bro culture stigmatises the use of machines which are actually way safer. You are much more likely to injure yourself, potentially seriously, lifting heavy free weights. Most experienced lifters have had at least one. Generally, this serious injury risk is taken as part and parcel of getting ripped, or a delusional just world fallacy that only lifters with poor form will get hurt.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Jeza posted:

Free weights are better marginally for muscle development, and do exactly what you say. However, it is true that bro culture stigmatises the use of machines which are actually way safer. You are much more likely to injure yourself, potentially seriously, lifting heavy free weights. Most experienced lifters have had at least one. Generally, this serious injury risk is taken as part and parcel of getting ripped, or a delusional just world fallacy that only lifters with poor form will get hurt.

I have definitely pulled a hamstring and other muscles lifting freeweights over the past 5 years. Machines come with their own risk of injury that are a result of poor decision-making when planning a workout though. Because of how they constrain range of motion you can make specific muscles very large and strong without strengthening any of the supporting muscles around it. You have to plan your workout to account for this. Otherwise you can pull muscles doing very basic tasks with your newfound strength. It's just you won't do it during the workout, you'll do it doing something mundane like picking up a box and lifting it over your head.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Avoid sex and masturbate with a brick

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I have a starter sourdough culture that I maintain every day instead of just buying 30 cent packs of yeast.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
I like to whip cream by hand. Also I use a mortar and pestle to grind spices.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes listen to music where the vocalist doesn't really sing but growls or even screams. Like a monster :whitewater:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Supreme Allah posted:

People that drive manual transmissions and make it their identity

Congrats on having a slower, less-efficient pain in the rear end

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

Im thinking of taking up addressing others as "breh", has anyone tried this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Hammerite posted:

Yeah breh

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Icochet posted:

I sometimes listen to music where the vocalist doesn't really sing but growls or even screams. Like a monster :whitewater:

this is almost exclusively what I listen to now :q:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Can I mod the tape player in my 2000 Subaru Forester to be an aux in instead?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

interwhat posted:

Can I mod the tape player in my 2000 Subaru Forester to be an aux in instead?

you can buy a cassette that has an aux cord sticking out of it. i used one for years

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Getting out of the shower to pee.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Grinding my coffee beans by hand man. Does it taste noticeably better? Doubtful. Does it let me turn down my nose at all the slaves to convenience? You betcha

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Grinding my coffee beans by hand man. Does it taste noticeably better? Doubtful. Does it let me turn down my nose at all the slaves to convenience? You betcha
like you want me to milk a fuckin cow too to get some creamer????

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

TheAardvark posted:

you can buy a cassette that has an aux cord sticking out of it. i used one for years

Yea they still sound like poo poo. I actually have a tape with a Bluetooth receiver in it, still poo poo.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Using a 10 year old Sony e-reader I got for free instead of "upgrading" to a Kindle or burning my eyes out by reading on my phone.

Still listen to tapes in my '89 Nissan because I'm too lazy and cheap to bother changing out the stock head-unit.

Buying and listing to CDs instead of just Spotify streaming the album to my hifi setup. Tbh it's more to support the artist and the fact that there's no guarantee with anything when it comes to streaming services.

Buying a $150 phone every 6-12 months instead of spending the extra and getting something good for $400, and therefore having something with a decent camera etc. that will probably last longer. But they're so fragile and disposable nowadays I'd rather own something I don't care about breaking at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Getting married.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

olives black posted:

how hard is learning how to drive stick as someone who's been made soft by 15 years of driving automatics?

The hard part isn’t learning, it’s finding a vehicle to learn with.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i think its easiest if you look up simplified diagrams how a clutch actually works as well as have someone describe to you what you have to do, and understand the purpose of why the clutch is there and energy transfer from engine through drivetrain to tires and eventually smoke from the sweet burnout ur gonna do

and then clutches in like toyota corollas and 90% of consumer cars are super forgiving any ways

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jomo posted:

Using a 10 year old Sony e-reader I got for free instead of "upgrading" to a Kindle or burning my eyes out by reading on my phone.

Still listen to tapes in my '89 Nissan because I'm too lazy and cheap to bother changing out the stock head-unit.

Buying and listing to CDs instead of just Spotify streaming the album to my hifi setup. Tbh it's more to support the artist and the fact that there's no guarantee with anything when it comes to streaming services.

Buying a $150 phone every 6-12 months instead of spending the extra and getting something good for $400, and therefore having something with a decent camera etc. that will probably last longer. But they're so fragile and disposable nowadays I'd rather own something I don't care about breaking at all.

:hellyeah: to all of this.

also if longevity is your main concern then get an Otter Box and a screen protector. If you're on an iPhone then the ones that the Apple store sells are good.

*goes back to daydreaming about having a flipphone again*

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

The hard part isn’t learning, it’s finding a vehicle to learn with.

numberoneposter posted:

i think its easiest if you look up simplified diagrams how a clutch actually works as well as have someone describe to you what you have to do, and understand the purpose of why the clutch is there and energy transfer from engine through drivetrain to tires and eventually smoke from the sweet burnout ur gonna do

and then clutches in like toyota corollas and 90% of consumer cars are super forgiving any ways

welp in 5-10 years when I need a new car then I'll do this

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

crabcakes dogg posted:

For mp3 players, order a iPod Mini 2nd generation from ebay, an iFlash CF-SD adapter, 256GB SD card, and a new battery. It takes like 10 minutes to swap all of this out and you're left with a perfectly functioning old school iPod with 256GB of storage and the option to Rockbox it if you want, allowing it to play other formats (FLAC, APE, etc.) and better battery life.

Just did this. How do I make my life harder? Let me count the ways:

It’s essential that my hacked iPod have at least 2TB of storage. I only have about 200 GB of music and audiobooks but I might get more.

I’ll buy an MP3 player with 200 GB of storage, but if I DIY I absolutely must spend three times as much money and ten times as much time making sure that my work is exceptional in a way that is completely irrelevant.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have epilepsy so I can't be a car bro :smug:

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't like cars.

However, having a car is basically mandatory to be an adult in the US, so I have a car.

Not if you live in New York City!

Anyway, I really do miss the days when phones were just phones and not little computers that happen to also be able to call people. I like cameras, MP3 players, and portable game consoles all being separate things.

Generally speaking, I also prefer physical stuff -- paper receipts, paying fares with tokens, pushing actual non-touchscreen buttons, printing out boarding passes, etc. My work computer's volume controls are 100% touchscreen & the buttons only protrude like half a millimeter, and I hate it so much.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Andenno posted:

I'm a weak baby who can't squat 500 lbs, but I thought this was the opposite of how it worked. Like doing free weights strengthens your stabilizer muscles and engages multiple muscle groups, which would help your posture and pain.

Yes. It comes with a greater risk of injury because it's up to you to do it right, but the benefit of actually doing it yourself is, well, being able to do it yourself. Working out heavy only on machines is setting yourself up for a nasty surprise later on. I'm guessing most people mix free weights and machines anyway though, which seems good to me.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Decided to cheap out and buy a couple of portable tape players and a (new?) Toshiba boom box from Best Buy.

I also now know the pain of listening to an album that I like on Bandcamp only to find out that the 100-copy tape run is sold out :argh:

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

Decided to cheap out and buy a couple of portable tape players and a (new?) Toshiba boom box from Best Buy.

I also now know the pain of listening to an album that I like on Bandcamp only to find out that the 100-copy tape run is sold out :argh:

Get yourself a Nakamichi Dragon and sit back, grab a beer, and record that album onto a nice metal tape.

Just kidding tapes suck and are absolutely not worth your (ok maybe yours but not most) time.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

crabcakes dogg posted:

Get yourself a Nakamichi Dragon and sit back, grab a beer, and record that album onto a nice metal tape.

Just kidding tapes suck and are absolutely not worth your (ok maybe yours but not most) time.

is there a Nakamichi Dragon that isn't over $2000? Holy moly

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i clicked on this thread thinking the title was a reference to weightlifting

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Hammerite posted:

What's wrong with saying bruh

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

JK Fresco posted:

What's wrong with saying bruh

Another option is to combine them and go German, brueh

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I asked around snd apparently bruh was bannable for a while. Idk why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Bruhs, I make my own vanilla extract with vodka and vanilla beans and it owns bones, but it definitely takes at least two months longer than just buying some at the store.