Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh well if that's it.

Culture, education, standard of living, and pretty much every other aspect of life is so drastically different that South Koreans might as well be aliens from the future. People who have escaped the regime and made it to South Korea sometimes long to go back because the society they are moving into is so drastically different and they have trouble adapting. These are people who have been tortured, threatened with death, or starving, and they actually miss NK because there is nothing in South Korea except familiar looking faces and the ability to speak the language that they have in common.

It's like taking a 15th Century peasant from rural England and putting him/her in the middle of present day Manhattan. Most people look the same, you can understand them (sort of) but you don't have anything in common with this society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Beef City posted:

Fat
Reclusive
Infatuated with a skewed vision of asian culture
spoiled
treats women poorly
Socially awkward
egotistical idiot living off his parents
people around him only deal with him because they have to

Now granted I'm only going based on myself, but I'm sure I could find more comparisons to my goon brethren across the sea.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Blistex posted:

Culture, education, standard of living, and pretty much every other aspect of life is so drastically different that South Koreans might as well be aliens from the future. People who have escaped the regime and made it to South Korea sometimes long to go back because the society they are moving into is so drastically different and they have trouble adapting. These are people who have been tortured, threatened with death, or starving, and they actually miss NK because there is nothing in South Korea except familiar looking faces and the ability to speak the language that they have in common.

It's like taking a 15th Century peasant from rural England and putting him/her in the middle of present day Manhattan. Most people look the same, you can understand them (sort of) but you don't have anything in common with this society.

Here's an interesting piece on defectors trying to adjust to living in SK. I have read they face a lot of discrimination there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhaGIfgEiPE

ElLoco
Apr 21, 2020

by Cyrano4747
You know it is hard to tell, if Kim Jong Un has died...but he is weak...so he will possibly die today. Also as a reminder, he was having heart surgery yesterday, so it is possible that something happened.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pawn 17 posted:

Here's an interesting piece on defectors trying to adjust to living in SK. I have read they face a lot of discrimination there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhaGIfgEiPE

They had to start a course for defectors that is basically, "don't let your defection allowance get stolen by scammers" since for years this was a really popular grift that people would do. They'd befriend a defector, tell them they would help them out with their money problems (problem being they were given a shitload of money and didn't know how to use it) and would take off with the cash. Gotta be a really high-achieving lovely person to scam a refugee.

Edit: The bullying doesn't surprise me as Korean kids immediately latch onto anyone who deviates from the "norm" in any manner and it's open season (not saying that bullying doesn't happen everywhere for those exact reasons, but the homogeneity of the place makes it much worse to fit in if you are perceived as being different in any way). I have friends with half-Korean kids in South Korea and all but one of them had to enroll their kids in international schools because of the discrimination, bullying, and ostracization their kids received.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 21, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blistex posted:

Edit: The bullying doesn't surprise me as Korean kids immediately latch onto anyone who deviates from the "norm" in any manner and it's open season (not saying that bullying doesn't happen everywhere for those exact reasons, but the homogeneity of the place makes it much worse to fit in if you are perceived as being different in any way). I have friends with half-Korean kids in South Korea and all but one of them had to enroll their kids in international schools because of the discrimination, bullying, and ostracization their kids received.

Isn't that how kids everywhere are?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

These kids are worse because they're foreigners

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
When white kids do it they're just being innocent kids

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Big Beef City posted:

Fat
Reclusive
Infatuated with a skewed vision of asian culture
spoiled
treats women poorly
Socially awkward
egotistical idiot living off his parents
people around him only deal with him because they have to

Now granted I'm only going based on myself, but I'm sure I could find more comparisons to my goon brethren across the sea.

Do you ever read one of those books where they list off diseases and symptoms and as you continue you begin to acknowledge that according to what you're reading, you might actually have every single one?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Like I said, I happens everywhere (I know, I'm a teacher), but in their cases it's like school wide "avoid this kid and give him poo poo because he is visibly different than us". It's not just race, like was mentioned in the video with the North Korean kids being bullied and ostracized, it's anything that goes against the homogeneity. I was pretty flabbergasted to see a korean-chinese kid who was indistinguishable from anyone else (looked like a clone of this father) being totally avoided and given poo poo (apparently with the staff doing absolutely nothing about it) because the kids knew that. He was born and raised in Korea, had no accent, spoke little mandarin, but it was enough to be treated like a leper.

I'm sure Grand Frommage could clarify if he happens by.

JK Fresco posted:

When white kids do it they're just being innocent kids

Is this literally a, "And you are lynching Negroes" argument?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I'm calling you out as white and racist anf also prokbsbly a loser

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JK Fresco posted:

lol idiot

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

JK Fresco posted:

white people don't have a loving monopoly on racism, chief

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

white people don't have a loving monopoly on racism, chief

They're first smong ewuals

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

JK Fresco posted:

i'm calling you out as white and racist and a loser and not funny

stop drinking

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JK Fresco posted:

They're first smong ewuals

Learn to loving spell you sausage-fingered dolt.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Woe thr whitr defenders hsve logged in. The litersl whitw knights??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I think his body might have died but they transplanted his consciousness into a new identical one right before it happened.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think you mean "sossage-fingered dolt".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

b-minus1 posted:

Kim Jong Un-responsive

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
순대 손가락

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

:eyepop:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I learned gimmick posting is funny to a point and then just gets really dumb from my good pal JK Fresco. Doesn't mean I'll stop doing it though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Chocobo posted:

Listen guys, its true that he blew most of his father's inner circle to pieces with an anti-aircraft gun,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Derpies posted:

I learned gimmick posting is funny to a point and then just gets really dumb from my good pal JK Fresco. Doesn't mean I'll stop doing it though.

Out of control alcoholism is a posting gimmick now? Cool! I have a gimmick!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Les Os posted:

순대 손가락

don't you mean
소시지 손가락

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

As a fellow drunkard who has eaten most of my probes while completely blacked out, I salute him. He at least has the dignity of bad spelling and grammar to show he's hammered.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I remember that there is a thriving black market for South Korean movies/tv shows. I can see that making a difference, so I'd love to hear more about it.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Pouring out a warmbier for my boi Kim

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

yeah rip qaddafi :(

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yvershek posted:

I remember that there is a thriving black market for South Korean movies/tv shows. I can see that making a difference, so I'd love to hear more about it.

There have been cases of defectors listening to South Korean radio dramas when the jammers were down or they were out of range, and being floored when one of the characters would say something like, "help me carry the groceries in from the car, there are two more bags". During the famine in the 90s and early 00s the concept of a family having a car, and too much food for one person to carry was mind-blowing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

buglord posted:

Opened the thread expecting to see this dude.

Featured in this fun old thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775365

That thread was way way better than it had any right to be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even then there's at least a mild language barrier; I've heard North Korean now sounds old-timey compared to modern South Korean.

The accent is noticeable, the big difference is South Korean is like, a third English loanwords now and North Korean has none (but does have some Russian ones).

Pawn 17 posted:

Yep, it's massive. After a few years in the south my North Korean friend wanted to immigrate to rural Canada and never, ever see another Korean of any sort the rest of his life. He vanished on me so I hope he achieved his dream.

Not to the same level, and not with official sanction. The teachers often participate in and support the bullying. One of the schools I worked at had a bunch of mixed-race and a few Chinese-Korean kids and they were all horribly traumatized by the just never ending poo poo. Once I learned enough Korean to pick out the racial slurs I was floored and the teachers just gave me the nervous chuckle when I asked what the gently caress was going on. Eventually I got a talking to about how I was "disrupting" the school by trying to stop the bullying.

Blistex posted:

I was pretty flabbergasted to see a korean-chinese kid who was indistinguishable from anyone else (looked like a clone of this father) being totally avoided and given poo poo (apparently with the staff doing absolutely nothing about it) because the kids knew that. He was born and raised in Korea, had no accent, spoke little mandarin, but it was enough to be treated like a leper.

I'm sure Grand Frommage could clarify if he happens by.

Hey it's me.

Yeah, I also had a Korean-Chinese kid who was abused every single day, non-stop. Basically imagine being in school in the US and there's one black kid in class, and all the students go out of their way to slap him constantly and shout "Shut up n-word" every time he talks and the teachers either do nothing, or take part in it themselves.

Had a teacher at another school who would line up the kids who were mixed race and kick them in the stomach regularly to try to "ensure discipline".

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

JK Fresco posted:

Woe thr whitr defenders hsve logged in. The litersl whitw knights??

Sorry you're dying, Kim Jun Goon

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Maybe he shouldn't have been so fragile as to start dog whistling about "negroes"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JK Fresco posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have been so fragile as to start dog whistling about "negroes"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

I was talking about racism in Korea, and you inferred that since it happens in the west. . .

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Akshually that's a logical phallusy I am very smart see?

My best wishes for the fat Korean dude's quick recovery.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How do you unfuck someone?

Asking for a friend.

How do you break someone off from someone they haven’t hosed yet? :thunk:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Did anything else come out about this or did we get those initial leaks and thats it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chrs posted:

Did anything else come out about this or did we get those initial leaks and thats it?

There’s a bunch of fake bluds in North Korea now or something because people got angry they couldn’t suck this one guys dick. Like just when we got over the Chinese ruk dealio finally too.