Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Especially in a long hallway, that gun has totally wrecked someone I thought was tough before. I think it can slow their approach from the flinching. I basically stopped before Noon until I had a later mechanic open. Didn't help I think my first was Purple Noon.

The Scarecrow will only raise Prudence if you Insight it. Without a screenshot of it's work preferences I can't say if anything else might give solid results. Looks like good gear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

I have to provide the unfortunate news that clerks are freshly rerolled every day. Zeta21 is unlikely to show up in our facility again in his current form.

Here is a bonus image, as means of apology.

I call for Zeta 21 to be promoted to a full employee

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Tylana posted:

Especially in a long hallway, that gun has totally wrecked someone I thought was tough before. I think it can slow their approach from the flinching. I basically stopped before Noon until I had a later mechanic open. Didn't help I think my first was Purple Noon.

The Scarecrow will only raise Prudence if you Insight it. Without a screenshot of it's work preferences I can't say if anything else might give solid results. Looks like good gear though.

I should cover how flinching works, but the short version is if they’re flinching you already shouldn’t be using them on green noon. Anyways-I just peeked at it and it looks like it has a straight 45% success rate in everything else, but since it deals white damage it’s best used for insight/repression.

I may use this information later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as the gift doesn't push an agent to 3 Prudence there is no issue in just sending an agent to work with the scarecrow for an entire day.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

warhammer651 posted:

I already submitted them on the google form :ssh:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

As long as the gift doesn't push an agent to 3 Prudence there is no issue in just sending an agent to work with the scarecrow for an entire day.

Yeah I have a very similar anomaly that works a different stat and it's where I send all my complete newbies - send them in with a low stat and the best armor, and they end the day a complete (if monofocused) badass that's ready to be mirrored or sent to work less forgiving anomalies that train other stats.

Except every now and then I click the wrong agent and off it goes rampaging through my base. That's Lobotomy Corp!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Not only did you thoroughly trounce that Noon, you also finally get Best Bird. I picked up -56 pretty early on when it popped in my game (knowing it was a hot pick up thanks to the thread) and it was absolutely the best choice of the entire play through.

But seriously that Noon ordeal, and it's not even the worst because

Tylana posted:

my first was Purple Noon.

:stonklol: hits esc, presses reset day

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Since it's come up a few times, I'll make it official:

I've mentioned the times already (dawn/noon/dusk/midnight) and we've seen four ordeal colors (violet/crimson/amber/green), so as long as nobody goes into detail about what it is or how it attacks I am okay with mentioning the existence of things like Violet Noon.

On that note: you never forget your first Violet Noon. Ever. I'm sure we'll see why before too long. :ssh:

warhammer651 posted:

hey girl you up posted:

I already submitted them on the google form :ssh:

I've already filmed day 12, but I'll see what I can do. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

56 is my friend and I am very sad it didn't show up post reset.

Edit: Also, gently caress violet noon.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Yeah, I’d finally had a good batch of rolls with the mirror, 4s and 5s in justice across the board, and maxed out prudence on a bunch of people with my favorite insight trainer we’ve yet to see. Then BAM violet Noon.

gently caress Violet Noon indeed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TeeQueue posted:

On that note: you never forget your first Violet Noon. Ever. I'm sure we'll see why before too long. :ssh:

I won’t forget my second, either. I misunderstood the mechanics and got fully obliterated twice.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Process of Understanding? Who the heck names these things?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Angela. Naturally the names are perfect for each ordeal, just as Angela herself is the perfect AI assistant for the facility, unlike the other Sep's

NOTICE ME MANAGER SENPAI

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE *skates in on razor-edged metal wheels; sprays five clerks with sulfuric acid*

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hwurmp posted:

UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE *skates in on razor-edged metal wheels; sprays five clerks with sulfuric acid*

close. More like "GREAT LOVE FOR US" and suddenly All the Trumpet.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Violet Noon is great, it officially changes this game's genre from horror to comedy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TeeQueue posted:

That's what made me stop playing way back when. :mad:

On the other hand, 56 finally appears! I love this thing so much, it's one of my favorites.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ratoslov posted:

The same disembodied entity that names Dwarf Fortress forts/Forgotten Beasts/masterworks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Black Robe posted:

The same disembodied entity that names Dwarf Fortress forts/Forgotten Beasts/masterworks.

The two games do have a lot in similar, it's true.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Engraved on the wall is an image of an agent and a robot. The agent is in the fetal position. The agent is crying. The agent is on fire. The robot is posing triumphantly. The robot is on fire.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeeQueue posted:

Engraved on the wall is an image of an agent and a robot. The agent is in the fetal position. The agent is crying. The agent is on fire. The robot is posing triumphantly. The robot is on fire.

The fire is also screaming.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Hunt11 posted:

The fire is also screaming.

Agent Tylana is pulling a lever to flood the facility with lava. The lever is clearly labeled. The lever is fake. Agent Tylana is screaming.

Apologies if not quite in DorfFort meter.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The lever also needs to be on fire and screaming.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Oh god Rimworld flashbacks.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the screaming is screaming

engraved on the wall is a picture of mizu the ferocious. mizu is smiling. the picture smells like jerky.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2020

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Mizu continues to get more and more ridiculous. Their untimely death will be a tragedy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, Violet Noon is really nasty when it gets the drop on you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

my dad posted:

Yeah, Violet Noon is really nasty when it gets the drop on you.

:tizzy:

Also Mizu reminds me of Sam Jackson in that movie about the super intelligent sharks at this point.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Have we seen all the Dawns yet? I don't think we've covered Violet Dawn.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Have we seen all the Dawns yet? I don't think we've covered Violet Dawn.

We have not, but it does definitely exist.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Oh trust me, I'm familiar with Violet Ordeals. :smithicide:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oh trust me, I'm familiar with Violet Ordeals. :smithicide:

Yeah, but the thread ain't, so be careful with how much you say about 'em!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Man like 5 other folks said the same thing and y'all didn't scold them

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's your avatar. That thing could be an abnormality in itself.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

You had the most recent post on the matter, gosh

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

Since it's come up a few times, I'll make it official:

I've mentioned the times already (dawn/noon/dusk/midnight) and we've seen four ordeal colors (violet/crimson/amber/green), so as long as nobody goes into detail about what it is or how it attacks I am okay with mentioning the existence of things like Violet Noon.

So long as we're not going into mentions of what they do or look like or what have you, mentioning any of those colors/time combinations. SFT's fine under this update.

e: Despite us never actually seeing a violet anything. WOW I missed that.

OH WELL CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG, SOME ORDEALS ARE PURPLE. :doh:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Mechanics Talk 9: Emergency Level and Trumpets

WARNING: Absolutely none of this mechanics update actually matters unless you really want to make your game play cool music at will.

Way back in update 5 I did a little bit of talking about the warning system, by which I mean I linked this page from the in-game manual:

What I didn't mention then was how the game determines what trumpet we're on. To do this, the game uses a danger level. The level is a point scale that goes from 0 to 100. At 10+ points, a First Trumpet sounds. Once we hit 50+ points, a Second Trumpet sounds. If we get up to 80+ points on the scale, a Third Trumpet begins instead. The danger level drops by 1 every 15 seconds that pass in game, and when the level gets back below 10 the trumpet will end. Trumpets can only increase, we can't go back from a Second Trumpet to a First Trumpet.

The danger level goes up in two main ways. The first is when Agents die or panic. An Agent death is worth 4 points, and a panic is worth 2.

The second is when an Abnormality or Ordeal breaches or spawns. Abnormalities are worth a certain number of points, as shown on the table here:

ZAYINs have a on-breach danger of 5 points, but since they don't breach it will never matter. :v:

Whenever an Ordeal spawns or an Abnormality breaches, the danger points of that Abnormality are divided by the number of departments in the facility, and the leftover number is added to the score. For instance, right now a TETH breaking out would be worth 20/3=6.67 points, not enough to trigger a First Trumpet unless it kills someone. A HE breaking out or spawning, on the other hand, is 40/3=13.33 points, enough to kick things into a trumpet. There are a couple exceptions to this rule, and I'll cover them when they show up, but the system is actually quite simple.

Since we still have time, on to a bit of trivia! There's a Fourth Trumpet within the game's code, called EmergencyLevel.CHAOS. It's not implemented and has no associated danger level, but if the code is altered to allow for it to be triggered it works just fine and plays the Third Trumpet song instead of having its own custom music.

I have a screenshot of it courtesy of discord user IvoryVaimon-the first person I'm aware of to have discovered this. Here is the photo, but be warned that it is from a much later-game facility. While most of the text isn't readable, it could spoil a few Abnormality and Ordeal designs. It's believed that the Fourth Trumpet was originally supposed to be a game over state, but was never fully implemented since it wouldn't make sense given our ability to rewind time and redo a day being an explicit game mechanic.

Speaking of trumpets, there are also three more mentioned in the artbook, which goes more in-depth on a variety of in-world topics.

They actually HAVE an 'oops we just caused the apocalypse' trumpet.

I love this game so much. :allears:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 2, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Their use of the word 'trumpet' is very discomfiting. It's appropriate yes, in that it kind of brings my mind to the thought of angelic heralds trumpeting events of importance. Only these otherworldly heralds are anything but benevolent.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

But what does it sound like? Does it play a jaunty tune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Their use of the word 'trumpet' is very discomfiting. It's appropriate yes, in that it kind of brings my mind to the thought of angelic heralds trumpeting events of importance. Only these otherworldly heralds are anything but benevolent.

I think that's on purpose. There being seven of them is probably a reference to the biblical trumpets in the book of Revelations.

Black Robe posted:

But what does it sound like? Does it play a jaunty tune?

I assume it sounds like this.