Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What is an uchiko? :confused:

Uchigo is a powder used for removing oil from a sword after you clean it.

I found this book written by probably the gooniest person in the world to answer your question so that this thread could get bumped because I miss Mr. Steak's first read through posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We tried to warn him that one chapter per post was going to kill him. Rip Mr Steak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might have already been said, but you're absolutely right that the author deliberately made Luffy's power to be goofy and cartoony. Even when the story gets serious and the stakes high, it's never too edgy because the protagonist's powers look like a Tex Avery cartoon.

Also, I feel Coby works early on because his whole thing is being an exciteable kid and fanboy, and exactly the kind of person who'd know that basic exposition and dramatically spout it at the first excuse, especially since Luffy seems to be pretty dumb. He plays off Luffy well because their personalities are almost opposites, but also complement one another. And, which I don't think is spoilers at this point, the author has the good sense to write him out when he's no longer needed for the story.

And on Kuina- I feel an important part of Zoro's backstory and personality is specifically that she died by accident and happenstance. If she was murdered (or as in the 4kids dub, attacked and crippled) he'd be fuelled by vengeance, and if she committed suicide he might be motivated by sorrow. But an accident is something he couldn't blame anyone for or have any doubts over. So it makes his dream a matter of honouring her for the sake of the respect he has and their friendship- since he can never know what she might have become, the only way to fulfil their promise is to be the best swordsman in the world, so she would clearly either be better or second best.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 11, 2020