Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

differentiating posted:

Now that I'm on a lighter rotation, I'm taking the time to catch up on things here - first read through the case a few days ago, and went through it again now. Here's the notes I took down.

That's a lot of good observations, especially some of the leads on Kearney. I think the Lands Allotment Company is worth a visit, and we haven't really checked out the bank fully either.

With Kennedy gone missing and Lola Nelson's story about him, I feel the Balfour jewels & Joslin are fairly well tied up. Could be worth it to see what we can dig up on Mills just to be sure.

Forgot that we hadn't visited the other Shank. I suspect he won't have much to say, but there may be some telling evidence.

There's possibility that we can hit up Porky for details on Johnny the Jackal. I did a quick check of the 'J' names on the off chance his real name might be something like 'Jekyll', but didn't get anything. There could also be some court records on him.

Knowing the address of people involved is more useful since we can go back and check the carriage maps. I haven't done it yet but will have to see if there are any connections.

e: Just realized Duggan & Northrup are neighbors. Coincidence?

Directory Lookup

(Northrup)
North, F. ..............................................71 NW
Northrup, Lucille ................................47 SE
Northrup, Peter ...................................47 SE
Norville, Herbert ..............................38 SW

(Duggan)
Duffield, Eugene ................................... 58 E
Duggan, John .......................................48 SE
Dumont, Delores .............................42 WC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Kangra posted:

That's a lot of good observations, especially some of the leads on Kearney. I think the Lands Allotment Company is worth a visit, and we haven't really checked out the bank fully either.

With Kennedy gone missing and Lola Nelson's story about him, I feel the Balfour jewels & Joslin are fairly well tied up. Could be worth it to see what we can dig up on Mills just to be sure.

Forgot that we hadn't visited the other Shank. I suspect he won't have much to say, but there may be some telling evidence.

There's possibility that we can hit up Porky for details on Johnny the Jackal. I did a quick check of the 'J' names on the off chance his real name might be something like 'Jekyll', but didn't get anything. There could also be some court records on him.

Knowing the address of people involved is more useful since we can go back and check the carriage maps. I haven't done it yet but will have to see if there are any connections.

e: Just realized Duggan & Northrup are neighbors. Coincidence?

Directory Lookup

(Northrup)
North, F. ..............................................71 NW
Northrup, Lucille ................................47 SE
Northrup, Peter ...................................47 SE
Norville, Herbert ..............................38 SW

(Duggan)
Duffield, Eugene ................................... 58 E
Duggan, John .......................................48 SE
Dumont, Delores .............................42 WC

My only question regarding the jewel theft is why the two were tortured; if Colin was just killing them to keep them quiet, there'd be no need to break fingers, you'd think.

Here are my votes for now, spread out a bit to hopefully gather a little more info on each of our cases:
Joseph Lufkin at the Stock Exchange (22 EC)
Worthington Bank (67 NW)
Leo Mills (86 SE)
Arnold Shank (90 EC)
Lucille Northrup (47 SE)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Good point about the torture.

It also seems possible that Johnny was the one who did the Henry Cole murder; I doubt Shank would do it himself.

I'm just less sure about Perkins, though. Johnny is Moriarty's man, and there's no indication that Perkins was being disloyal. Staging a suicide over £50 doesn't seem right, although there is the evidence that the calendar page was removed.

The mention of the Lands Allotment made me realize that Balfour met with someone from there around lunchtime on Tuesday (per the carriage log anyway), at 19 Maiden-lane. I think it's worth checking out.

My current votes are:

Northrup Residence (Mrs. Northrup) (47 SE)
19 WC (Maiden Lane meet-up spot)
Office of Records (Criminal) (14 WC)
Worthingdon Bank (67 NW)
Stock Exchange (Josef Lufkin) (22 EC)

Next clue to be posted in the morning (Monday evening GMT).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

47 SE
Mrs. Northrup
2:45 p.m.

Wiggins’ knock on the door elicits no reply. He knocks louder. This causes the door across the hall to open and the head of a middle-aged woman to appear.

“You won’t get no answer, love. They left.”

“Who?”

“Mrs. Northrup and her children. A Jardine van picked up their trunks yesterday morning. Are you from the police?”

“No. Did she tell where she was going?”

“Overseas. To start a new life. Didn’t say where, just paid her due rent and left.”

“Do you know her husband?”

“Peter? Yes."

“Have you seen him?”

“No.” She looks up and down the hall to make sure that no one else is within earshot. “I think he was here on Monday. I'm not sure, but someone was in her room that she didn’t want me to see.”

“How did she pay you?”

“She owed five pounds and paid me with a five pound note.”

“Has she been short of money since her husband was in prison?”

“No. In fact she seems to have had more money than before. In fact, she loaned me ten pounds a couple of months back when my husband was ill.”

“Thank you.”

(15 Minutes)
Current Time: 3 p.m.

Five pounds, you say? Seems like we're a bit too late for some of these clues now.

Visited Today:
Central Carriage Stables, 0915, 105'
51 Bahere (51 EC), 1115, 30' [also Miss Nelson's residence, 31 EC]
Midland Grand Hotel (16 SW), 1200, 5'
Old Bailey (36 EC), 1220, 60'
Alice Gardner (3 NW), 1350, 15'
Colin Kennedy, 92 NW, 1420, 10'

Current Votes
6 Northrup 47 SE
6 Worthingdon Bank
6 Joseph Lufkin at the Stock Exchange (22 EC)
4 19 Maiden-Lane
3 Leo Mills (86 SE)
3 Office of Records (Criminal)
2 Arnold Shank (90 EC)

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

That's a good thought about Johnny killing Cole; that's probably more likely, if he's already in their employ for dirty work.

If not Johnny who killed Perkins, then maybe the mysterious Brandy? It's a woman's name, but I don't think we've met any Brandys thus far.

Regarding the Northrup visit... definitely seems like we're too late to get any real info. I suspect that Northrup passed on the locations of the plates to his wife so that she could use them freely, given the report of her spending.

Votes:
Joseph Lufkin at the Stock Exchange (22 EC)
Worthington Bank (67 NW)
Leo Mills (86 SE)
Arnold Shank (90 EC)
Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

22 EC
Stock Exchange
3:15 p.m.

CLOSED SATURDAY & SUNDAY

(5 Minutes)
Current Time: 3:20 p.m.

Well, another avenue shut down. On the one hand I like that there can be a sense of the week like this, but I also suspect it's really only there to make the solution more of a puzzle (recall that this was originally a contest).

Visited Today:
Lucille/Peter Northrup, 47 SE, 1

Current Votes

6 Stock Exchange, 22 EC
6 Worthingdon Bank
4 19 Maiden-Lane
3 Leo Mills (86 SE)
3 Office of Records (Criminal)
2 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
1 Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

differentiating posted:

That's a good thought about Johnny killing Cole; that's probably more likely, if he's already in their employ for dirty work.

If not Johnny who killed Perkins, then maybe the mysterious Brandy? It's a woman's name, but I don't think we've met any Brandys thus far.

Regarding the Northrup visit... definitely seems like we're too late to get any real info. I suspect that Northrup passed on the locations of the plates to his wife so that she could use them freely, given the report of her spending.

Yeah, I think just based on this being a game it probably means she has them, but it could also just mean that he printed a bunch up for her and had her stash them. I didn't think about it before that £5 is about £500 in today's money.

Hopefully Worthingdon is open, or we can get in touch with someone like Knox, since it might be that they would know Perkins and also mention Brandy in passing.

My votes:

Office of Records (Criminal) (14 WC)
19 WC (Maiden Lane meet-up spot)
Worthingdon Bank (67 NW)
Jack Knox

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Kangra posted:

Yeah, I think just based on this being a game it probably means she has them, but it could also just mean that he printed a bunch up for her and had her stash them. I didn't think about it before that £5 is about £500 in today's money.

Hopefully Worthingdon is open, or we can get in touch with someone like Knox, since it might be that they would know Perkins and also mention Brandy in passing.

That's true; I just figured that, with how intently he was keeping quiet about the location of the plates despite torture/his life at risk, it's probably because that was the only way he saw to keep the rest of his family safe, and that fits more with her having the plates. But it doesn't really matter either way, I guess.

Knox *should* know Perkins, since I think they were both on the cricket team? If we get really stumped we could theoretically visit all the cricketeers one by one, though that would be a rather inelegant way to try and get a lead. But I like going to him since he should hopefully have info on both cases.

Votes:
Worthington Bank (67 NW)
Leo Mills (86 SE)
Jack Knox
Arnold Shank (90 EC)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

67 NW
Worthingdon Bank
3:35 p.m.

The door to Mr. Knox’s private offive is closed. The two massive men sitting on either side of the door definitely do not look like bank clerks.

“Mr. Knox is in a very important meeting and can’t be disturbed. What’s your name?”

“My name is Wiggins. When do you expect the meeting to be finished?”

The man who has been doing the talking runs his finger down a very short list of names before answering. “I don’t see your name on this list, mate. Mr. Knox will be busy all day."

(15 Minutes)
Current Time: 3:50 p.m.

At least they weren't closed, and we can probably rule out anything from Knox's residence.

Visited Today:
Lucille/Peter Northrup, 47 SE, 1445, 15'
Stock Exchange, 22 EC, 1315, 5'

Current Votes

8 Worthingdon Bank
5 Office of Records (Criminal) (14 WC)
5 Jack Knox
4 Leo Mills (86 SE)
4 19 Maiden-Lane
3 Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)
2 Arnold Shank (90 EC)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

14 WC
Office of Records
4:05 p.m.

CLOSED SATURDAY & SUNDAY

(5 Minutes)

Current Time: 4:10 p.m.

Another one blocked off.

Visited Today:
Worthingdon Bank

Current Votes

5 Office of Records (Criminal) (14 WC)
5 Jack Knox
4 Leo Mills (86 SE)
4 19 Maiden-Lane
3 Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)
2 Arnold Shank (90 EC)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'll probably post a clue point tomorrow, just because this one was a dud.

Moving my votes to:

19 Maiden Lane
Lands Allotment Co.
Rat & Raven (Porky)

Might add more later. I'm looking at the list of names from the Central News Agency with some interest:

Julius Benedict
Sir Miller Brandon (should be at Lands Allotment)
Clive Dornin (he's an investment broker, lending more evidence to the idea that Kennedy is our Mr. Jones)
Sir Vincent Needham
(These last two were on the list but don't seem as important.)
Morgan Pickering
David Sadler

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

19 WC
19 Maiden Lane
4:05 p.m.

“Mr. Balfour lunches here quite often.”

“When was the last time he was here?”

“He had lunch here Monday with a group of his business associates. They used one of our private dining rooms.”

“Would you happen to remember who was at that luncheon?”

“No, but Mr. Balfour always leaves a list of his expected guests for me, and only those on the list are allowed upstairs to the private room, and I may still have that list.”

“Could we see it?”

“Well...” The maitre d’ rubs his chin and looks toward the ceiling. Wiggins reaches into his pocket, removes a pound note and discreetly passes it to him. “I guess it would do no harm to show it to you. I am sure I can count on your discretion?”

“Of course,” assures Wiggins.

“The maitre d’ checks the large leather-bound reservation book and removes a sheet of paper which he hands to Wiggins. The sheet contains the following list of names:

Sir Miller Brandon
Clive Dornin
Sir Vincent Needham
David Sadler
Johnny Allgood
Reginald Ormond

(20 Minutes)
Current Time: 4:25 p.m.

Okay, for once that worked out. Maybe. Is this our Johnny the Jackal, or is it too Allgood to be true?

Directory Look-ups

(Allgood)
Allen, Richard ......................................1 WC
Allgood, Johnny ..................................10 SE
Allmond, Etta ..........................................28 S

I can check the others if desired.

Visited Today:
Stock Exchange, 22 EC, 1515, 5' (CLOSED)
Worthingdon Bank, 67 NW, 1535, 15'
Office of Records, 14 WC, 1605, 5' (CLOSED)

Current Votes

5 19 Maiden-Lane
5 Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)
3 Leo Mills (86 SE)
3 Rat & Raven (Porky)
2 Arnold Shank (90 EC)

Vote for up to five locations. Next clue will be posted on Monday, March 1.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

You know... Miller Brandon shows up on the Central News Agency list as well as Balfour's guest list, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, but could Brandy be a nickname for Brandon? I mean, it'd be a terrible nickname, but he's the only one with a remotely-related name that we've seen thus far. I think he was also one of the cricketeers, too. Worst-case, hopefully he'll at least know some of our friends.

Might as well try him and Allgood; not that it's all that important to track down Johnny the Jackal, but I feel like we'd get more info if we can.

Votes:
Leo Mills (86 SE)
Arnold Shank (90 EC)
Miller Brandon (51 NW)
Johnny Allgood (10 SE)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

50 QP
Lands Allotment Company
5:00 p.m.

As we enter the antechamber of Sir Miller’s office our way is blocked by two very large men.

“We'd like to speak with Sir Miller, if we may,” says Wiggins.

“Sir Miller is in a very important meeting and can’t be disturbed. What's your name?”

“My name is Wiggins. When do you expect the meeting to be finished?”

The man who has been doing the talking runs his finger - down a very short list of names before answering. “I don’t - see your name on this list, mate. Sir Miller will be busy all day.”

(15 minutes)

Current Time: 5:05 p.m.

No, that's not an accidental copy-paste. But it's clear we're not getting anything out of these men.

Visited Today:
Worthingdon Bank, 67 NW, 1535, 15'
Office of Records, 14 WC, 1605, 5' (CLOSED)
19 Maiden Lane (Balfour restaurant), 19 WC, 1625, 20'

Current Votes

9 Lands Allotment Company (50 QP)
4 Leo Mills (86 SE)
3 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
3 Raven & Rat Inn (Porky)
2 Miller Brandon (51 NW)
1 Johnny Allgood (10 SE)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hmm, Miller Brandon seems at least vaguely plausible for 'Brandy'. A male nickname kind of seems to make sense; Brandy doesn't quite strike me as a 19th Century female name, though I can easily be wrong on that.

I've a feeling we're going to strike out on anyone who's upper class or leading one of Balfour's businesses, and although maybe servants might talk at the household, that seems like a long shot. I'm favoring looking farther down the list first.

I've a new theory on the jewellery shop. Suppose Jones/Kennedy comes in to fence the jewels for Balfour. Then the unknown gunmen, Moriarty's men most likely, come in and steal them while the deal is in progress. Kennedy, desperate to get the jewels back, imagines that it must have been the shop workers who were in on the meeting and tipped off Moriarty to the deal. So he tortures them, and when they give him nothing, he kills them, possibly out of anger, possibly to tie up loose ends to prevent anyone tracing it back to him.

That would mean he's taking off to Ireland to get away from Balfour; having failed to locate the jewels he had to run away or face the consequences. Or he did find the jewels and one of the other corpses, maybe someone we haven't found yet, is our unknown assailant(s).

I also forgot we also talked to Clive Dornin already; he was the scared guy who won't leave his house for whatever reason.

Adding a vote for the 'Amateur Athletic Association'. I was trying to see if Boxing clubs were in the Directory, and this (under 'Sport') was the best I could find.

Johnny Allgood
Raven & Rat (Porky)
Old Bailey (Edward Hall)
maybe info on David Sadler?
Amateur Athletic Association (8 NW)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

10 SE
Johnny Allgood
5:20 p.m.

The South London Palace of Amusements is a large building which covers the whole block. Around the large entrance portal are a number of brightly coloured posters telling us of the delightful events that await us inside. Authentic South Sea mermaids are illustrated in all their scantily clad voluptuousness next to a poster of “genuine Zulus” in full war regalia, each a bargain at two pence.

Upon passing through the portal we are greeted by the barking voice of a man on stilts which raise him four feet above the heads of the crowd. He is announcing the start of the next bicycle race; only ten minutes until the next show in the Music Hall. Wiggins spots a guard standing next to the entrance to the exhibit of fasting men, and moves over to him.

“Can you tell me where I can find Johnny Algood?” asks Wiggins.

“Go down past the Beer Hall and turn right. You'll come to a door that says 'Private'. Knock on that door and someone will see if Mr. Allgood wants to see you.”

“Thanks.” We follow the directions and soon find ourselves addressing the guard at that door. “We would like to see Mr. Algood.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No.”

“Mr. Allgood sees no one without an appointment.”

“But, it's very —"

“There’s no ‘buts’! If you're not in my appointment book, you don’t see the boss.”

“How do we make an appointment?”

“You may write a letter to his appointments secretary.”

“It will only —"

“Good day, gentlemen.”

(20 minutes)

Current Time: 5:40 p.m.

I'll give them some credit for trying to distance themselves a bit more from the racism.

If Allgood is the 'boss', that seems unlikely that he is Johnny the Jackal. On the other hand, it seems more likely that he's the Johnny who wanted £50 from Perkins.

Visited Today:
Central Carriage Stables (5 WC), 0915, 105'
51 Bahere (51 EC), 1115, 30' [also Miss Lola Nelson's residence, 31 EC]
Colin Kennedy (92 NW), 1420, 10'
Lucille/Peter Northrup (47 SE), 1445, 15'
Stock Exchange (22 EC), 1315, 5'
Worthingdon Bank (67 NW), 1535, 15'
Office of Records (14 WC), 1605, 5' (CLOSED)
19 Maiden Lane (Balfour restaurant/19 WC), 1625, 20'
Lands Allotment Company (50 QP), 1700, 5'

Current Votes

6 Johnny Allgood (10 SE)
4 Leo Mills (86 SE)
4 Raven & Rat Inn (Porky)
3 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
3 Edward Hall (Old Bailey)
2 Amateur Athletic Association
2 Miller Brandon (51 NW)

I visited this clue point yesterday but it looks like the forums ate that post. So there'll be a new clue point posted tomorrow.
Vote for up to five clue points to visit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

86 SE
Leo Mills
5:55 p.m.

The landlady informs us that the police have ordered the room sealed. No one is to be admitted except in the company of the police.

(5 Minutes)

Current Time: 6:00 p.m.

Dead men's rooms tell no tales, I guess. That's a shame.

Visited Today:
Johnny Allgood (10 SE), 1720, 20'

Current Votes

4 Leo Mills (86 SE)
3 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
2 Miller Brandon (51 NW)

Heading in to the last few hours of the last day. Vote for up to 5 locations for us to visit.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Hmm... not sure if we've just come at the wrong times, or if these leads are meant to always end in dead ends. Though the mention of police makes me wonder if we can get more out of Scotland Yard regarding Mills...

Votes:
Miller Brandon (51 NW)
Arnold Shank (90 EC)
Scotland Yard (13 SW)
Reginald Ormond

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

51 NW
Miller Brandon
6:15 p.m.

The butler informs us that Sir Miller Brandon is at his Queen’s Park office at the Lands Allotment Company, 50 Harrow-road.

(5 Minutes)
Current Time: 6:20 p.m.

I suppose this one wasn't totally unexpected, but it seems that there ought to at least one of these leads we can follow up.

Visited Today:
Leo Mills (86 SE), 1755, 5'

Current Votes

5 Miller Brandon (51 NW)
4 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
3 Scotland Yard (13 SW)
2 Reginald Ormond

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm thinking a visit to Scotland Yard might be worth it, too.

Also going to add David Sadler directly. Because while it seems like a lawyer is by far the least likely to reveal information, I almost wonder if paradoxically that's where the clue will be.

Raven & Rat (Porky)
Old Bailey (Edward Hall)
Scotland Yard
David Sadler (10 WC)
Amateur Athletic Association (8 NW)

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Kangra posted:

The butler informs us that Sir Miller Brandon is at his Queen’s Park office at the Lands Allotment Company, 50 Harrow-road.

(5 Minutes)
Current Time: 6:20 p.m.

I suppose this one wasn't totally unexpected, but it seems that there ought to at least one of these leads we can follow up.

Ugh - I was hoping someone would be there (such as a wife or something) and would give us more info on Brandon indirectly. So much for that. Definitely finding the number of dead ends a little frustrating, but so the game goes.

Votes:
Scotland Yard (13 SW)
Arnold Shank (90 EC)
David Sadler (10 WC)
Reginald Ormond

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

13 SW
Scotland Yard
6:35 p.m.

We find Lestrade sitting at his desk whistling a happy tune while he works.

“You seem in a good mood, Inspector,” says Wiggins as we enter the office.

“I'm always in a good mood when I can close a case.”

“Which one?”

“The murder of Peter Northrup.”

“You caught the murderer?”

“Yes, Wiggins. No need to sound so surprised. Just good, solid police work.”

“Who did it?”

“Josh O’Rourke, a teamster for Shanks brewery. A watchman at the Gas Works saw him drop the body in the canal. A positive identification from a reliable witness and O’Rourke has a prison record. He’s now safely locked up at Old Bailey. Case closed.”

“Why did he do it?”

“I don’t know. There are many reasons. The plates that Northrup was accused of forging were never found. That’s reason enough. Of course, O’Rourke denies having committed the murder."

“Did you find the counterfeit plates?”

"No."

“Won’t it be more difficult to find the plates now that Northrup is dead?”

“We weren’t having much success when he was alive. Now why are you down here bothering me?”

“Anything new on the Joslin murder?”

“No. I think Joslin was a fence. We've thought this for some time, but could never get any proof. My theory is that he was in the middle of making a buy when somebody robbed him. My intuition tells me the Balfour jewels might even be involved. But now that Johnson is dead we may never know. Looks like someone wanted to keep him quiet. We’ll get whoever it is. They’ll make a mistake. Now get out of here. As soon as I finish up this paper work I'm off to the races.”

(20 Minutes)
Current Time: 6:55 p.m.

Not nothing, but seems only to confirm that we're already ahead of the police on this one.

Visited Today:
Miller Brandon (51 NW), 1815, 5'

Current votes

8 Scotland Yard (13 SW)
5 Raven & Rat (Porky)
4 Old Bailey (Edward Hall)
4 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
4 David Sadler (10 WC)
2 Reginald Ormond
2 Amateur Athletic Association (8 NW)

Vote for up to five locations to visit now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

51 NW
Raven & Rat Inn
7:10 p.m.

“Hi, Porky,” greets Wiggins as we enter the Raven and Rat. “How are things going?”

“Fine. What can I get you?” Porky’s tone seems distant and cool.

“Pint of stout. Anything wrong?”

“No.” Porky moves to the far end of the bar to draw our drinks. After a minute he brings us our pints and leaves to talk to some other customers. Wiggins picks up his glass and notices a small folded piece of paper. He surreptitiously slides it off the bar and places it in his pocket. We down our pints in silence.

“See you later,” says Wiggins as we leave. Porky ignores our departure. Once we are on the street and out of sight of the Raven and Rat, Wiggins takes the note from his pocket and reads it to us.

“I can’t talk to you now, but you might be interested to know that Moriarty’s address is 51 Bahere-street. Talk to you later.”

(20 Minutes)

Current Time: 7:30 p.m.

Once again, information we were fairly certain of already. It's nice to have confirmation, but it's not giving us any leads.

Visited Today:
Scotland Yard (13 SW), 1835, 20'

Current votes

5 Raven & Rat (Porky)
4 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
4 David Sadler (10 WC)
2 Reginald Ormond

Vote for up to five locations, although as we're nearing the end of the day not every spot will be visited in this day.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

10 WC
David Sadler
7:45 p.m.

Wiggins tries the door to David Sadler’s office but finds it locked. We are about to leave when we hear a voice from the other side of the door.

“Who's there?”

“Name’s Wiggins. We would like to see Mr. Sadler.”

“What for?”

“Bouncer, what are you doing?” comes another voice from behind the door.

“There’s a bloke here to see you.”

“Well, let him in! What are you going to do, keep everyone out? Let them in.”

“But, the boss said—”

“Look, Bouncer, just do as I say.”

A moment later the door opens and we face a man who stands well over six feet. His nose has been broken many times and his ears have long ago been turned to cauliflower. The hand which holds the door open for us is massive and leaves little doubt of its strength. Behind him is a welldressed man of smaller proportions and more pleasing features.

“I hope you’ll forgive Mr. Rudd,” says the smaller man as we enter. We assure him that we do. “I am David Sadler. How can I help you?”

“We are investigators working for Mr. Sherlock Holmes and we would like to ask you a few questions.”

“About what?”

“A couple of things. We would like to know a few things about the cricket match Sunday and also if you know Franklin Kearney?”

“Hmm.” Sadler pulls his watch out and looks at the time. “I can spare a few minutes. Come into my office.” Turning to the man he introduced as Mr. Rudd, he says, “Bouncer, leave the door unlocked.

“What do you want to know?” asks Sadler after we are all settled.

“We have been engaged to find Franklin Kearney. He hasn’t been seen or heard of since Sunday.”

“That doesn’t sound like Frank.”

“You know him?”

“Yes. I expected to see him Tuesday at the Temperance Society meeting, but he didn’t show.”

“You’re a member?”

“No. I handle Mr. Balfour’s legal affairs so I get into some of the legal questions that arise in the Society. Tuesday’s meeting involved a new lease and the possible purchase of land, so Mr. Balfour thought I should be there. Frank is the business manager for the Queen’s Park branch, so he should have been there for this meeting. Any idea what’s happened to him?”

“At this time, no. What can you tell us about the cricket match Sunday? That seems to be the last place anyone saw him.”

“Jeez, what a match. I'm sure you know about the bomb. Just some prank, is the best I can guess. Thank God no one was hurt. I did see Frank there. Just said hello to him, nothing more.”

“What’s with Mr. Rudd?”

“Oh, just helping out a friend. I really hope you find Frank and that nothing has happened to him. I'm sorry that I can’t help you. I certainly hope he hasn’t fallen off the wagon. I'm short of time, and I have a meeting I must get ready for. If I can be of any help, please let me know. Mr. Rudd will show you out.”

Mr. Sadler has risen from his desk and holds the door open for us as we leave his office and enter the antechamber where Mr. Rudd in turn holds the door open for us to exit.

(45 Minutes)
Current Time: 8:30 p.m.

Not surprised they made the least likely person so chatty, but a bit surprised he knows Kearney. That Kearney was the business manager is a rather intriguing bit of information.

Also,
Directory Lookup

"Rudd"
Roycroft, Gifford .............................25 NW
Rudd, Kirk .............................................76 SE
Rudge & Singer ...................................21 SE

Visited Today:
Raven & Rat (Porky), 1910, 20'

Current votes

4 David Sadler (10 WC)
4 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
2 Reginald Ormond

There is probably only one more location for us to visit today, so place a vote if you want.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair Day 4

90 EC
Arnold Shank | Vincent Derrick
8:20 p.m.

“Yes, I am Arnold Shank. Come in. What can I do for you?”

“We understand that one of your employees has been arrested in the murder of Peter Northrup. What can you tell us about this man O’Rourke?”

“As I have already told the police, there is little that I can tell you about the man. They seem already to know quite a bit more about him than I. For instance, I had no idea that he had a criminal record. The calibre of workers these days!” Shank shakes his head at the sad plight of employers. “I really don’t know what else I can tell you. He was simply another big, dumb Irishman who could hoist beer casks and handle a wagon. That was all I was concerned with, and that’s all I know. I'm sorry that I can’t be of more assistance.”

“Actually, sir we do have a couple of other questions,” says Wiggins. “We understand that you are on the Parliamentary commission appointed to make recommendations for the new Beer Act along with Sir Henry Cole and Mr. Reginald Ormond. Can you shed any light on Sir Henry’s murder and —"

“I know nothing about the murder,” shouts a suddenly impatient Arnold Shank. “Now look here young man, I've tried to be helpful in answering your questions about this Northrup murder, but if you're going to start implicating me in every other murder in London, I will have to bid you good day. I'm a very busy man.”

With that we are quickly ushered out.

(15 Minutes)
Current Time: 8:35 p.m.

Not as bad as getting a door shut in our face. Possibly he really was unaware of O'Rourke's connection to the Northrup murder; it doesn't seem like he'd be necessarily interested in that.

Visited Today:
Raven & Rat (Porky), 1910, 20'
David Sadler (10 WC), 1945, 15'

Current votes

4 Arnold Shank (90 EC)
2 Reginald Ormond

Okay, we're down to probably the last clue for the day, unless it's a dud. Make votes for which to visit.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 27, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I just reviewed the earlier clues and realized that I had the wrong start time for Arnold Shank. The last clue put us exactly at 9 p.m., which means Day 4 is done.

That is the last day of investigation. There is one last 'day' that gives us some information, which I think is meant to be read before the quiz. It is a bit odd, since there's no clear indication of what to do. We have a few options at this point for how to proceed.

I found that someone posted the quiz answers somewhere else, and I have not looked at them yet, but I think it's likely reliable, so we will be able to check if necessary.

A) Read the last day, go straight to the quiz, and see how well we did.

B) Read the last day, do not do the quiz, but continue to re-do clues from the previous days until we feel like we have things solved.

C) Read the last day and the quiz questions only, and then re-do clues until we think we have the answers.

I'm asking the thread to please vote on what you'd like to see (even if you're not participating in solving the case). Voting will remain open until Tuesday, March 30.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I will probably end up trying to look up a few more clues on my own and post results as I go, and then cracking open the solution, but the voting option is open for anyone who wants. The main question is whether to post the quiz questions or not, to see what we're 'supposed' to figure out.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I would actually like to see the quiz questions.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sorry for leaving the thread idle for a while. A family emergency came up in the last few weeks that pulled me away. Thankfully all is looking well with that for now, but I'm away from my exact copy until the end of this week, and the one thing I did not scan is the original quiz, so I can't post the precise questions.

I was doing a bit of work on my own, and can at least give some of them from memory. I may not have exact phrasing correct but I'm pretty sure I have the intent of the question, unless I'm misinterpreting it. For these, the phrasing may not be exactly 'who killed'; it might be 'who is responsible for the death of' or something like that in some cases, but I do think they were asking for who committed the act and not who ordered it (although there might have been some follow-up questions along those lines). I don't recall if these had particular point values, but I would imagine we want to try and get them all.

* The actual questions are posted below, imperfect list removed.

Apologies for not having the one thing that'd be most useful here. I do have access to everything else from the case, so if there are any clue points from a particular day you want looked up, it should not be an issue. I may put up some of what I'm looking at.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2021

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Kangra posted:

Sorry for leaving the thread idle for a while. A family emergency came up in the last few weeks that pulled me away. Thankfully all is looking well with that for now, but I'm away from my exact copy until the end of this week, and the one thing I did not scan is the original quiz, so I can't post the precise questions.

I was doing a bit of work on my own, and can at least give some of them from memory. I may not have exact phrasing correct but I'm pretty sure I have the intent of the question, unless I'm misinterpreting it. For these, the phrasing may not be exactly 'who killed'; it might be 'who is responsible for the death of' or something like that in some cases, but I do think they were asking for who committed the act and not who ordered it (although there might have been some follow-up questions along those lines). I don't recall if these had particular point values, but I would imagine we want to try and get them all.

*) What happened to Franklin Kearney?

*) Who sent the Vincent Derrick letter?
[We don't have to figure out who killed him.]

*) Who killed Lloyd Perkins?

*) Who was Lloyd Perkins working for? (I think this said directly that you had to either name two parties, or had multiple answers as an option, or had a follow-up question along the lines of 'who else/anyone else', because I've been considering at least two employers).

*) Who killed Henry Cole?

*) Who killed Peter Northrup? (not 100% sure we had to know this one)

*) What happened to the counterfeit plates? (this might be 'where are the plates')

*) Who stole (or maybe what happened to) the Balfour Jewels?

* - I think there are ten questions in total, and at least one other person you need to figure out the death of. I think maybe Mills, or possibly Joslin. I don't think there were any motive questions, and I also don't think there was anything required as to Balfour's shady dealings.

Apologies for not having the one thing that'd be most useful here. I do have access to everything else from the case, so if there are any clue points from a particular day you want looked up, it should not be an issue. I may put up some of what I'm looking at.

For what it's worth, looking at the forums at Board Game Geek (while avoiding spoilers), I came across this list of questions which is purportedly the one included with the original set:

quote:

1. a) Who was responsible for Franklin Kearney's disappearance? b)Why?

2. a) Did Ormond murder Cole? b) What happened to Ormond?

3. a) Who stole the Balfour jewels? b) What happened to them?

4. Who killed Joslin?

5. a) Who killed Leland Joslin? b) Why?

6. a) Who killed Leo Mills? b) Why?

7. a,b) Lloyd Perkins was in the employ of what two people?

8. Who killed Lloyd Perkins?

9. Who sent Holmes the Vincent Derrick letter?

10. a) Who killed Pete Northrup? b)Who gave the order to kill him? c)Where are the counterfeit five-pound plates hidden?

11. a) Who planned the bombing at the cricket match? b) Why?

4 & 5 are repeats, so it's clearly not entirely accurate, but it seems like overall the right gist of things.

differentiating fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 18, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, that one mixed up Joslin and Johnson. Here's the proper list.
I guess I forgot that motive is part of the questions for a fair number.

1. a) Who was responsible for Franklin Kearney's disappearance?
b) Why?

2. a) Did Ormond murder Cole?
b) What happened to Ormond?

3. a) Who stole the Balfour jewels?
b) What happened to them?

4. Who killed Joslin?

5. a) Who killed Leland Johnson?
b) Why?

6. a) Who killed Leo Mills?
b) Why?

7. Lloyd Perkins was in the employ of what two people? (a, b)

10. a) Who killed Peter Northrup?
b)Who gave the order to kill Peter Northrup?
c)Where are the counterfeit five-pound plates hidden?

11. a) Who planned the bombing at the cricket match?
b) Why?

Note these are all 'Part One'. Part Two was that you would write up your own conclusion to the case, in the style of Holmes. (I don't know if the actual winning entry was the published solution, but I guess the intention was to use it as a tie-breaker).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2021

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
So do we still have the events of the last day to come, or are they a post-deduction wrap-up?

Are there any alternate paths the story could have taken, e.g. ways to intervene in events beyond how we did already? Or is it all clockwork?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That's the odd thing about Day 5. The rules say to play through to Day 4, and then answer the questions. At no point, even in the quiz, is it indicated to read Day 5. Yet it was printed in the book. Since there's nothing in the clue book to indicate otherwise, unless you remember the rule about stopping at Day 4, you will probably continue on and read it (as I have).

e: Earlier I said that I thought Day 5 was supposed to be read before the quiz, but re-reading the rules makes it clear it is not.

As for what Day 5 is, it's basically what you would read for the wrap-up by Holmes, just that it stops short of that. It's plain that the 'Part 2' of the quiz is meant to follow on from that point if you were to write it. But there is also something that happens before Holmes shows up, which is what I've said adds important information. That's why I have waited to post it.

The game events are entirely fixed, so there's nothing we can do to change their outcome. About the only things that can change are a handful of clues that can be different if you've visited the location before, but they're pretty much only there so you aren't repeating a conversation or some incident.

I'd be curious to know thoughts on the quiz answers are at this point. Then maybe I could post Day 5, and we could review more clues and try to find what we don't know. I think what we have so far is mostly there. I'll post my own opinions later today.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

These are my speculation only, not the actual answers. I've spoilered them to allow other people to post their own responses. Those I've marked with a * are ones I feel uncertain about.

Franklin Kearney himself.

b) Why?

* He was hiding out from Balfour's/Moriarty's(?) goons. Or he was undercover investigating.

No.
*Assuming this is about the past, he was disgraced by Cole after an affair and essentially blackmailed.

Colin Kennedy, on Balfour's orders.
When Kennedy was trying to fence them, they were stolen by Moriarty's men.

4. Who killed Joslin?

* Leo Mills? Someone working for Moriarty, likely.

* Colin Kennedy

b) Why?

* Attempting to retrieve the Balfour jewels.

* Colin Kennedy

b) Why?

* Attempting to retrieve the Balfour jewels.

James Moriarty and Johnny Allgood

* Leo Mills? A shot in the dark, but maybe he was the gunman.

His daughter, Rose Derrick.

Johnny 'the Jackal' (last name unknown)

Professor Moriarty

* Northrup's wife has them.

James Moriarty

b) Why?

Primarily as a distraction to free Northrup, but also to intimidate Balfour's crew.

The open questions I have are as follows:

What caused Kearney to act as he did at this moment?
Why was Northrup broken out? Was it part of a plan to defraud Balfour?
Is the torture of Mills and Johnson connected?
What was going on with the wagons at Moriarty's place?

Based on what's known and unknown, the lines of inquiry I'd want to follow are:

Checking on Kennedy prior to the jewellery shop incident. We could verify if he wears a large ring.
Figuring out just who Leo Mills is, and what the connection with Johnson is. Right now it's all speculation.
Investigating if something 'happened' to Ormond.
Finding out which side killed Perkins. The clue of interest might be that they stole the calendar page, which possibly pointed to them.
Determining if the counterfeit plates were 'hidden' somewhere (though due to the game's static nature, it's unlikely we would directly find them, so we may not be able to proceed along those lines).
Get more background on Johnny the Jackal (criminal records is where I'd look).
Maybe determine what's going on with 51 Bahere.
Try to learn more about Kearney's role as business manager.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Adding in my thoughts:

yeah, I don't have a better guess than saying it was Franklin Kearney's plan

b) Why?

probably in hiding? My guess is that he accidentally stumbled on Moriarty's plans while investigating Balfour and realized he was in danger as a result, so bounced.

No.
Either about the affair, or he was framed by Shank/Shank's men in order to swing the vote in their direction.

Balfour and his men
Agreed that Balfour's men attempted to fence them and they were stolen - probably by Moriarty's men.

4. Who killed Joslin?

Yeah, I'd guess Mills, since we know it was one of the two robbers.

Colin Kennedy

b) Why?

Attempting to retrieve the Balfour jewels - he was the inside man at Joslin's who helped the thieves.

Colin Kennedy

b) Why?

Attempting to retrieve the Balfour jewels - he was one of the thieves.

James Moriarty and Balfour, I thought?

I'm still betting on the mysterious Brandy, whomever that is. Sir Brandon is the person with the closest name that we've seen thus far, though that's literally a wild guess at this point.

His daughter, Rose Derrick.

Johnny 'the Jackal' (last name unknown)

Moriarty

agreed that they're in Northrup's wife's possession, or somewhere where she has access to them

James Moriarty

b) Why?

To mask the escape at the jail as much as possible.

Ironically, our initial line of inquiry is the one I understand least - why did Kearny disappear, and what was his end goal? I feel like we turned up nothing in this regard in the end.

Northrup's escape I feel like was because Moriarty wanted the plates for some reason, though why they were needed so urgently, I can't say.

I also feel like it's safe to say Johnson was an inside man for the robbery of the jewels, hence why he was interrogated/killed just like Mills.

Ormond, Perkins, Kearny, and the location of the plates seem to be our pending loose ends; I feel like we have decent-enough explanations for the rest.

differentiating fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 26, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair

Bonus Clues

Day 1
Colin Kennedy

Initially I tried to visit Kennedy on Day 2, but he isn't home. You get slightly different clues depending on which day it is (his landlady gets increasingly worried about his absence), but each time she directs you to Lola Nelson's place. On Day 1, however, you do get to speak with him, although this is presumably following up after visiting the Cricket Club, since they mentioned that Kennedy did not stick around for the meeting. It is telling, though, that Ms. Nelson gives the same response as on the later days (about getting married), suggesting that Kennedy is planning to get out after the Balfour jewels are sold.

Colin Kennedy is an impressive sight: six-feet, three inches in height, over two hundred pounds in weight, a round face whose ivory colour is broken only by an occasional bright red freckle. The top of his head is covered with light red hair, cut short.

“We would like to ask you a few questions, Mr. Kennedy,” states Wiggins.

Kennedy’s bright blue eyes widen a bit, but that is the only response we get.

“Could you tell us anything about the cricket match Sunday?”

“The match?”

“Yes. The cricket match.”

“What about it?”

“Do you know anything about the bomb?” We can detect an Irish accent.

“The bomb at the cricket match?”

“Yes."

“No.”

“No, what?”

“What?”

Wiggins lets out a long sigh, gives us a pleading glance, but after he sees that help is not forthcoming, he tries again.

“Were you at the cricket match Sunday?”

"Yes."

“Did you see the bomb go off?”

“Yes."

“Do you know who was responsible for throwing the bomb?”

“Yes."

“Who?”

“The bowler, John Duggan?”

“Do you know why?”

“No.”

“How would you explain the events of Sunday?”

“Explain?”

“Yes, explain! It's out of the ordinary for a bomb to explode during a cricket match, isn’t it?”

"Yes."

“Another question. Do you know Franklin Kearney?”

“Who does he play for?”

“He’s not a cricketer He’s a sports reporter for the Queen’s Park Sporting Gazette. Do you read it?”

“I don’t read. But I think I have met him at my boss’s office, or maybe at the Cricket Club.”

“Who’s your boss?”

“Jabez Balfour.”

“What do you do for him?”

“Whatever he tells me to.”

“Such as?”

“I'm a courier.”

“Of what?”

“Mrs. Balfour has told me not to discuss business.”

“Did you see Franklin Kearney at the Sunday match?”

“No."

“Thank you, Mr. Kennedy.”

“For what?”

“Yes,” says Wiggins as we leave.

(45 Minutes)

This seems to suggest that he wasn't normally directed for killings, somewhat matching Meeks's statements (if Colin is the one who killed the two). It also probably fits with Kennedy being given the jewels by Balfour, and he pretty clearly matches "Mr. Jones". I was kind of hoping for the ring to be present, but this case may be avoiding obvious clues like that now. I actually suspect the 'wedding' mentioned by Nelson might actually indicate that he was wearing the ring.

I'll probably look at Leo Mills next, since I don't think we ever found out more about him. I'm open to any other suggestions; instead of just posting one clue I will poke around for some actual results, depending on the case day.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair

Bonus Clues

Day 3
D Mills, 40 WC

Our knock brings no response from Donald Mills’ room. Wiggins tries the door. We find it unlocked and enter. The dim light that filters through the dirty window reveals the room to be empty with the exception of a few pieces of cheap furniture. Wiggins opens the wardrobe that sits against the wall.

“There’s nothing cheap about these clothes. They are tailor-made by Radford, Jones. Very expensive tastes has Mr. Mills, and he can apparently satisfy them.” Wiggins moves to the dresser. “Silk shirts and underwear. Quite a dapper fellow.” .

On a table by the window we find a large clay jar inside of which we find a key stamped with "Sylvester’s.” Next to the jar is a note:

quote:

Don:

Got a call from a man who said he has some jewels to sell. Sounds like the Balfour heist. He has an appointment with Joslin at 9 am. You and Leo be there.

“What are you doing here?”

We turn to see a large woman standing in the doorway. A long, black cigarette hangs precariously from the side of her mouth.

“We are looking for Donald Mills,” answers Wiggins.

“Are you from the police?”

“No. Friends of his brother. Do you know where we can find him?”’

“You say he’s not with his brother? Did you try the Punch and Judy? He spends a lot of time there, or he might be with his lady friend.”

“Who would she be?”

“Oh, what’s her name? She’s an actress. Wilma, Wendy, something like that. A big to-do these days.”

“Thank you. If you see him, tell him we were here.”

“All right.”

After we are back on the street we hear the landlady’s shout. “Who are you?”

(30 Minutes)

So that's pretty enlightening. Confirms that the Mills brothers were the ones who took the jewels from Kennedy. And it seems highly likely that Johnson was the one who sent the note.

e: I realized that when we visited the Northrup place, they said all her stuff was in a Jardin moving van. I've a hunch it might be worth checking to see if the plates are somehow still with them.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 30, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair

Bonus Clues

Day 4
Jardine, Matheson & Co - 15 EC

“I don’t have a Mrs. Northrup listed on any of our ships.”

“You picked up her bags this morning at 47 Aubin.”

“Let me check. Yes, that was a Mrs. Smith-Jones and her children.”

“Not her husband?”

“Yes, he was booked also, but did not show up. He sent a telegram for her to go along and that he would join her. I was here when the telegram arrived.”

“Where did she go?”

“New York.”

(30 Minutes)

Hard to know who actually sent the telegram there, but whether she thought it was him or not she probably would have just decided to get away while she could. This doesn't seem to necessarily implicate her or clear her. I'm not sure whether it's worth pushing further on this line, though maybe the telegraph office could be checked out.

I think Perkins is the next one I'd like to look into.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair

Bonus Clues

Day 2
Lloyd Perkins (before 10 a.m.)

We visited Perkins a bit later, and so we had a slightly different clue. I'd already read this clue in my first run. It might help clarify what Perkins was up to, so here it is.

“Holmes got my telegram, good! I just wanted to have a few words with you.” Perkins leads us into his study and offers us all a seat. “Since I found out yesterday that Holmes was looking into the affairs of Jabez Balfour, I have been thinking that there are some things that I should tell you.”

“We have not been engaged to investigate Mr. Balfour, but to find Franklin Kearney.”

“But one may be connected to the other, may it not?”

“Can you tell us?”

“I can’t give you a direct link that will tie Balfour to Kearney’s disappearance, but I can give you some interesting information on Balfour’s organization.”

“Why?”

“Why?”

“Yes. Why are you willing to give us information on Balfour? Don’t you work for him?”

“Yes, I work for the Worthingdon Bank.”

“And Balfour is a Director, correct?”

“Yes. And the entire stock of the bank is owned by Balfour companies.”

“I would still like to know why you are willing to tell us about Balfour.”

“When I went to work for him I was unaware of the type of man he was and the extent of his involvement in the underworld of London. Now that I know I want to share my knowledge so that he can be stopped.”

“Why not go to the police?”

“You know how powerful Balfour is. The police wouldn’t believe me. I have no real proof, but I do have access to the inner workings of the Balfour organization.”

“What can you tell us?”

“Balfour is in trouble. Worthingdon’s is in trouble. It is over-extended, largely because of a number of bad loans to Balfour companies. If Balfour doesn’t come up with half a million pounds in the next few weeks he would lose everything.”

“It sounds like an all-too-common story these days. The recession has hurt many businesses. The papers are full of tales of business failures. How do you know that Balfour is not just another victim of the business cycle?”

“No. It’s fraud. Intentional fraud!”

“I am afraid I will sound like the official police, but what proof do you have?”

“Proof! I can get you proof. I know where I can lay my hands on it. You come back later to-day or tomorrow and I'll have it for you.”

“We’ll look forward to it.”

(30 Minutes)

I don't really think Perkins motives can be trusted here, but it's possible he really was intending to do something to betray Balfour more openly and that's why he was killed.
I also don't know if the answer to the quiz question is as simple as who he is literally employed by for the bank, along with Moriarty, or it's about who he's working for in the underworld.

As for what happened in Perkins' office, the way I see it is this: He has a planned meeting with 'Brandy'. Since he contacted Holmes, maybe the purpose of this was to get the 'proof' he promised. Yet his statement here doesn't seem to comport with that, since he suggests that he's going to go somewhere else, probably the bank. Still, it seems likely that the Brandy meeting went as scheduled. Afterward, Perkins started to compose the message to Moriarty. The killer came in and shot him while he was still unaware.

A key detail to me is the removal of the calendar page, along with possibly some of the contents of his office. That suggests whoever was going after him was looking for something. There are two strong possibilities.

One is Brandy. He would have reason to remove the calendar to erase evidence of the meeting. He would have to have known beforehand that Perkins was betraying Balfour, and maybe was giving him one last chance. Or Perkins invited him to a plot to take down Balfour. Searching the desk is maybe Brandy looking to remove any incriminating evidence Perkins had on Balfour. This kind of works, but it's sort of odd. Brandy would have left, and then returned immediately -- maybe to get his gun? Or Perkins told him to let himself out and kept the door unlatched. You'd also think he would be able to eliminate Perkins in other ways, unless he had to act immediately for some reason.

Another suspect would be 'Johnny'. While £50 is not a massive sum, it's sizable enough and men have been killed for less. The question here would be how Johnny (or whoever was doing the job, probably not Johnny) got inside the place. It also seems a bit coincidental if this happened right when Perkins was maybe thinking of turning over evidence to Holmes/the police.

I'm not totally sure who to check on for him at this point. I think I'll probably check Criminal Records since it was closed on Saturday (not for help with Perkins, but for other cases like Northrup).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Queens Park Affair

Bonus Clues

Day 3
Office of Records/Criminal Records (14 WC)

This is the latest you can visit the Records office, since it's closed on Saturday/Day 4.

“I've had all the criminal records pulled that fit the modus operandi you described. Two men working together, using guns, working in daylight. Here they are:”

Name: Hendry, Terrence Address: 7 SE
Date of Birth: 15 January, 1854
Place of Birth: Bristol

Height: 5’ 7” Weight: 170 lb.

Eyes: Brown Hair: Brown

Record:

ARRESTS CHARGE DISPOSITION
21-4-69 Pickpocket 15 mos., Millbank
6-6-72 Street Thief 18 mos., Newgate
7-8-75 Robbery 2 yrs., Millbank
21-6-79 Assault 2 yrs., Wormwood
19-7-82 Robbery 3 yrs., Millbank

Name: Kilgore, Claude Address: 21 SE
Date of Birth: 27 June, 1857
Place of Birth: London

Height: 5’ 4” Weight: 165 lb.

Eyes: Blue Hair: Black

Record:

28-2-73 Street thief 1 yr., Wormwood
7-8-75 Robbery 3 yrs., Millbank
12-4-85 Trafficking in stolen goods 20 mos., Millbank

Name: Ardvark, Artemus Address: 61 SE
Date of Birth: 19 March, 1860
Place of Birth: India

Height: 5’ 5” Weight: 129 lb.

Eyes: Brown Hair: Black

Record:

15-3-75 Pickpocket 1 yr., Newgate
21-6-79 Assault 18 mos., Wormwood
19-7-82 Robbery 3 yrs., Wormwood

Name: Simmons, Theodore Address: 68 SW
Date of Birth: 1 July, 1848
Place of Birth: York

Height: 5’ 6” Weight: 125 lb.

Record:

21-4-66 Common thief 4 mos., Wormwood
18-7-71 Robbery 2 yrs., Millbank
12-8-78 House breaking 3 yrs., Wormwood
1-12-81 Robbery 5 yrs., Millbank

Name: Simmons, Milton Address: 78 SW
Date of Birth: 3 March, 1853

Height: 5' 9” Weight: 180 lb.

Eyes: Blue Hair: Blond

Record:

15-4-68 Dog stealing 2 mos., Wormwood
12-8-78 House breaking 2 yrs., Wormwood
1-12-81 Robbery 4 yrs., Millbank

Name: Mills, Donald Address: 40 WC
Date of Birth: 12 March, 1850
Place of Birth: Liverpool

Height: 5’ 6” Weight: 145 lb.

Record:

12-6-68 Street thief 10 mos., Wormwood
21-11-74 House breaking 18 mos., Millbank
16-3-78 Robbery 4 yrs., Wormwood
25-2-83 Robbery 4 yrs., Millbank

Name: Mills, Leo Address: 86 SE
Date of Birth: 20 September, 1854
Place of Birth: Liverpool

Height: 5' 4” Weight: 135 lb.

Record:

15-7-69 Pickpocket 6 mos., Newgate
18-7-71 House breaking 1 yr., Wormwood
16-3-78 Robbery 3 yrs., Millbank
15-2-83 Robbery 4 yrs., Millbank

Name: Prescott, Rodger Address: 27 SE
Date of Birth: 3 October, 1857

Height: 5’ 6” Weight: 145 lb.

Record:

12-2-72 Common thief 6 mos., Newgate
15-8-73 Smuggling 2 yrs., Millbank
12-6-78 Robbery 2 yrs., Millbank
5-2-83 Robbery 4 yrs., Wormwood

Name: Jones, Nathan Address: 55 SE
Date of Birth: 5 April, 1862

Height: 5’ 2” Weight: 125 lb.

Eyes: Blue Hair: Brown

Record:

12-6-78 Robbery . 1 yr., Millbank
5-2-83 Robbery 2 yrs., Millbank
12-7-85 House breaking 3 yrs., Millbank

(2 hours)

This is basically a wild goose chase clue, since it only gives up the Mills, which we could have found from the directory. I guess you could look them up earlier and maybe get ahead of the case, but since you cannot prevent Leo's death, it's not worth the time expenditure. None of the other names are likely to be meaningful for the other parts of the case.

I am just adding to this in bits at a time, but I'm open to checking additional clues at any point. I think it may be worth visiting Miller Brandon or Jack Knox, or the Worthingdon bank, on some other day to see if it gives us anything else on what Perkins was doing.