Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well ive never sold anything on eBay. I need to sell some stuff but of course its a no-go with covid. noW! the issue is the stuff is very large in size like for instance my old bike ....Thats a no go for eBay. how the heck am I gonna sell this crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

have you tried craigslist?

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Macnult posted:

have you tried craigslist?

that's what i said was a no go due to covid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

guitartorch posted:

that's what i said was a no go due to covid

no you didnt

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
NextDoor. Make sure to price your things with no concept of the items actual value. For example, list your bike at $200,000.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ebay is pretty good. I've had some good luck with it. Keep in mind that there are A LOT of 55+ people using the platform and they are draconian about packaging and shipping. Just don't be a lazy susan or a silly goose and you'll do great.

I've gotten way more of a runaround on GumTree and Craigslist. I'll list a bulky item, a coffee table for example for $100 pick up only. I'll get like 7 responses that are "WILL U DLIVER", and "GIVE U 40 CASH FOR IT". I understand its an informal marketplace and people are just trying to find a bargain. I've definitely low-balled people on stereo and DJ equipment, but I was at least polite and realistic about it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
facebook market is another way to go..very online pawn shop vibe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've tried selling my posts

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The_Continental posted:

Ebay is pretty good. I've had some good luck with it. Keep in mind that there are A LOT of 55+ people using the platform and they are draconian about packaging and shipping. Just don't be a lazy susan or a silly goose and you'll do great.

I've gotten way more of a runaround on GumTree and Craigslist. I'll list a bulky item, a coffee table for example for $100 pick up only. I'll get like 7 responses that are "WILL U DLIVER", and "GIVE U 40 CASH FOR IT". I understand its an informal marketplace and people are just trying to find a bargain. I've definitely low-balled people on stereo and DJ equipment, but I was at least polite and realistic about it.

I’ve read that everything just gets stolen on eBay because the buyer just claims they never got it how do I avoid that OP

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

guitartorch posted:

I’ve read that everything just gets stolen on eBay because the buyer just claims they never got it how do I avoid that OP

Don't sell on ebay

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That's a no go due to covid.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

the brainwaves are thinking
Don't know if it's a good idea right now but kijiji is a pretty decent site for selling poo poo, just list it for three times what you'd actually want for it that way bargain brained morons think they are getting a great deal when really your loving them op

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

guitartorch posted:

Have them pay via paypal. Once you receive payment (with required signature of course), ship product and empty out your paypal account. If they claim it was stolen, and ebay/paypal listens, paypal will refund from your paypal account, at which point it will be in the negative. And thats when you close your paypal account or just open one up under your boyfriend's name and ignore the original account.

This is what I did when I was buying used lovely GPU's and selling them for 400% profit on ebay during the bitcoin bubble.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

guitartorch posted:

I've never had that problem. I'm sure there are tons of scammers out there and cash in hand is always better but they have to pay for the item before you send it.

They can open a dispute but you can contest it. Take photos of the item before you ship it and in its packaging. Most shipping companies are going to require a signature upon delivery, so they can't just say they didn't receive. They will also need to show photo evidence of any damage. I'm aware some "tracking number fraud" stuff has been used but its pretty easy to check against the actual tracking number. If someone does successfully file a damaged items claim, you can request that you receive the returned item before giving any refund as well.

Again, ebay users tend to be older and can be easy targets for scams. As with selling anything to strangers online its important to take steps to protect yourself.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
When I was 10 I sold my ultima online account on ebay for 1600 dollars so I think you can just sell anything you want for any price

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Last time I sold something on ebay I said no international shipping or buyers several times in the listing of ofc the first buyer is international. The second buyer is international. The third buyer gives me a US mailing address that turns out to be an international mail forwarding facility. I assumed they were all scammers.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I think selling fecal matter is againt the terms of service OP

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My crafting ability is heinous at best. I don't trust anyone online.

Then again, this knockoff Sega Saturn controller feels true even though it is so light it could float away.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I just leave poo poo on craigslist forever, because I'm lazy, and dealing with hundreds of lovely people and their lovely emails is still easier than boxing something up and mailing it. I think.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Can't believe Craigslist is still operating and still looks like it did in the 90s

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
bring back the casual encounters section you cowards

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pawn 17 posted:

Last time I sold something on ebay I said no international shipping or buyers several times in the listing of ofc the first buyer is international. The second buyer is international. The third buyer gives me a US mailing address that turns out to be an international mail forwarding facility. I assumed they were all scammers.

yeah I'm pretty sure Ebay stopped being useful like 2003

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

Similarly, you go to buy something, location is listed as in your country. You pay for it and the PayPal notification pops up that you paid *bunch of Chinese characters* and the item is actually coming from hong kong in about 4 weeks if it ever comes at all

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I sold a ton of poo poo before my move across the country on Facebook marketplace and it actually worked well

eBay is fine for smaller items like books and poo poo, it was always my go-to back in college

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I buy and sell luxury pens/watches/whatever on ebay for fun and profit, ama

quick edit : Also guns on armslist and backpage before that got taken down what for all the sex crimes and drug deals

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I have a bunch of unopened usb c chargers so i was thinking of ebay. Does anyone know where to get mail appropriate plastic baggies like the kind you get clothes in from fast fashion retailers but tiny

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I contact the sellers and ask when the listing says no international shipping and 9 out of 10 times they say yes when you make an effort not to sound like a scammer.

ebay is still great imo, it's not their fault that the world is full of terrible people

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I think you just have to list it as something like "future coprolite" or something similarly vague

but really, I have also done okay on facebook marketplace for local stuff. dunno if this has changed, but I got rid of a lot of old games and electronics on the amazon personal sales a few years ago, and that was pretty good, but you do have to stay on top of it (with the shipping and whatnot.)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I bought something on ebay. That means someone else sold something on ebay. Let your heart guide you OP.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

its all nice on rice posted:

I bought something on ebay. That means someone else sold something on ebay. Let your heart guide you OP.

to be fair these days like 99% of the listing on ebay are chinese drop shippers

or the funnier version, more than once my partner has bought stuff from ebay then received it from amazon. i mean directly from amazon, the ebay "seller" just ordered the item via amazon after the ebay sale and had it shipped to her

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you make sure to include in your listing that you film yourself packing and giving the stuff to the postal worker you won’t have any issues. I just snap pics of the package before and after taping it up and then the hand off to the postal worker, no faces.

I found a huge difference in being a seller after I started doing that. I’ve only had one person ask for proof, but I think it’s enough to keep away most scammers :effort:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The real scam is eBay's Global Shipping Program, which literally steals from buyers

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Never had an issue with it, but I couldn't do it as anything other than a bit of a side gig. Packing, delivery, handling disputes etc.

It's cool for picking up random things that are hard to source, and selling things boomers love.

I doubt I ever made much more than break even because I never sold half the stuff I bought to flip. So now I have too much random hifi and headphones.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I have a bunch of unopened usb c chargers so i was thinking of ebay. Does anyone know where to get mail appropriate plastic baggies like the kind you get clothes in from fast fashion retailers but tiny

AliExpress

Professor Shark posted:

The real scam is eBay's Global Shipping Program, which literally steals from buyers

How is it a scam?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My friend once sold a computer on eBay and about an hour after the auction ended the buyer (who sniped the item at the last minute) sent a message saying they had changed their mind and didn’t want to buy the computer anymore. Friend told them that it was tough poo poo and they sniped at the last minute and lost them a sale so they had to buy it as ebay class it as a legal contract and the buyer backed down and paid. Wouldn’t you know it though, the well packaged and secure computer arrived smashed into a thousand pieces! I’m not talking like banged up, I’m talking it looked someone had gone at it with a sledgehammer. The buyer complained to eBay and they forced a full refund, my mate got her computer back returned to her broken.

Obvious foul play on the buyers part but eBay apparently just couldn’t give a gently caress.

That’s why I don’t sell on eBay

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last time I sold stuff on ebay was when I was 10 and selling my N64 games. I accidentally swapped Ogre Battle 64 and Gauntlet Legends and sent them to the wrong buyers. The guy who wanted OB64 sent me some emails threatening to sic his hacker squad on me. So to answer the OP's question: yes. I think people generally look for accounts with 10,000 positive reviews to make sure they're not buying from idiot children (see above) these days, though.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Chrs posted:

My friend once sold a computer on eBay and about an hour after the auction ended the buyer (who sniped the item at the last minute) sent a message saying they had changed their mind and didn’t want to buy the computer anymore. Friend told them that it was tough poo poo and they sniped at the last minute and lost them a sale so they had to buy it as ebay class it as a legal contract and the buyer backed down and paid. Wouldn’t you know it though, the well packaged and secure computer arrived smashed into a thousand pieces! I’m not talking like banged up, I’m talking it looked someone had gone at it with a sledgehammer. The buyer complained to eBay and they forced a full refund, my mate got her computer back returned to her broken.

Obvious foul play on the buyers part but eBay apparently just couldn’t give a gently caress.

Before I continue, I gotta clarify that ebay is an unfair hellhole of a website buuut

eBay allows you to sell to the next highest bidder in this scenario, what your friend did was dumb. Even if there are no other bidders you don't even have to pay any re-listing/sale fees when this happens. And unless your friend documented the packaging process, how could it be "obvious" foul play? How does ebay know your friend wouldn't negligently package the computer poorly out of spite?

And honestly on any platform outside of ebay we wouldn't even be having this discussion. People back out of sales before the transaction is finished all the time, and there's no legal obligation for people to follow through with them, and rightfully so.

"Hey can I buy your bike on Craigslist?"
"Sure, let's work out the details"
"Okay great, see you at blah blah blah"
"Alright!"

Next Day

"Sorry I can't got through with our plans, I don't want the bike anymore"

Are you going to say...

"LISTEN BUDDY THIS WAS A CONTRACT SO YOU'RE GONNA BUY THIS BIKE OKAY DIRTBAG?"
or
"That sucks, alright, I'll be relisting the bike now"

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 23, 2020

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Chrs posted:

Ebay is heavily slanted towards the buyer. I sold a phone on eBay a couple years back, and the buyer tried to root it and ended up bricking it. He even admitted to doing this in the his complaint messages. When I tried to appeal eBay's decision I showed the messages but it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

OP I don't see anyone selling fresh feces on ebay. This is a good opportunity to corner the market.