Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

Last time I sold something on ebay I said no international shipping or buyers several times in the listing ofc the first buyer is international. The second buyer is international. The third buyer gives me a US mailing address that turns out to be an international mail forwarding facility. I assumed they were all scammers.

The third would-be buyer almost certainly wasn't a scammer.

The companies that accept goods mailed to them from a U.S. address and then send the package on to the non-U.S. buyers are called reshippers. They are dodgy only in that they'll sign for a package sent to the recipient's name themselves, and sometimes (maybe all the time) have a whole bunch of extra fees for the recipient which they don't tout on their websites.

I used a reshipper a few months ago to order a rare out-of-print Hawkwind disk. I'd spoken to the vendor about international shipping and, as stated on the vendor product page, he confirmed he didn't do it. So I set up a U.S. address with a reshipper, then ordered the item under my (same) name from the vendor. I then had no problems at all (as a buyer), except the total reshipping cost exceeding around $30 U.S. (mainly due to all the extra fees, e.g. postal insurance on the resent package).

Anyone using a reshipper is probably paying around $30-40 reshipping cost, which is not refundable. I think you can safely presume that they're someone who really wants the item, so they're actually safer buyers than U.S. ones. If a buyer wanted to scam, they'd just order locally, then they wouldn't be out of pocket for a non-trivial reshipping fee.

If you had any dispute as a buyer with a recipient using a reshipper, it would be easy to detect, and U.S. eBay & Amazon etc. would automatically find in the buyer's favour, since the seller could claim to have had no knowledge that the item would be sent overseas and face the rigours of extra transport etc., and the buyer didn't actually sign for the originally sent package.

So please have mercy on us collectors and don't worry about we (very serious) buyers using reshipping services!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU