Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I think selling fecal matter is againt the terms of service OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Can't believe Craigslist is still operating and still looks like it did in the 90s

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

Last time I sold something on ebay I said no international shipping or buyers several times in the listing of ofc the first buyer is international. The second buyer is international. The third buyer gives me a US mailing address that turns out to be an international mail forwarding facility. I assumed they were all scammers.

Similarly, you go to buy something, location is listed as in your country. You pay for it and the PayPal notification pops up that you paid *bunch of Chinese characters* and the item is actually coming from hong kong in about 4 weeks if it ever comes at all

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My friend once sold a computer on eBay and about an hour after the auction ended the buyer (who sniped the item at the last minute) sent a message saying they had changed their mind and didn’t want to buy the computer anymore. Friend told them that it was tough poo poo and they sniped at the last minute and lost them a sale so they had to buy it as ebay class it as a legal contract and the buyer backed down and paid. Wouldn’t you know it though, the well packaged and secure computer arrived smashed into a thousand pieces! I’m not talking like banged up, I’m talking it looked someone had gone at it with a sledgehammer. The buyer complained to eBay and they forced a full refund, my mate got her computer back returned to her broken.

Obvious foul play on the buyers part but eBay apparently just couldn’t give a gently caress.

That’s why I don’t sell on eBay

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

PinheadSlim posted:

Before I continue, I gotta clarify that ebay is an unfair hellhole of a website buuut

eBay allows you to sell to the next highest bidder in this scenario, what your friend did was dumb. Even if there are no other bidders you don't even have to pay any re-listing/sale fees when this happens. And unless your friend documented the packaging process, how could it be "obvious" foul play? How does ebay know your friend wouldn't negligently package the computer poorly out of spite?

And honestly on any platform outside of ebay we wouldn't even be having this discussion. People back out of sales before the transaction is finished all the time, and there's no legal obligation for people to follow through with them, and rightfully so.

"Hey can I buy your bike on Craigslist?"
"Sure, let's work out the details"
"Okay great, see you at blah blah blah"
"Alright!"

Next Day

"Sorry I can't got through with our plans, I don't want the bike anymore"

Are you going to say...

"LISTEN BUDDY THIS WAS A CONTRACT SO YOU'RE GONNA BUY THIS BIKE OKAY DIRTBAG?"
or
"That sucks, alright, I'll be relisting the bike now"

You can disagree with it all you want but that’s not how it works according to the eBay policies which that buyer would have has to have agreed to when they signed up for an account and which are reiterated whenever they place a bid on something. When you place a bid on eBay you are committing to buy the item in the event that you win, look it up.

Also I don’t think you understand the computer was literally shattered to pieces in a way that took deliberate effort. No way that happened in transit.