Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Haven't played this version Nat, but re: the Black Rabite I've read he's somewhere at the entrance of the cavern leading to the Dark Castle.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Shitenshi posted:

Haven't played this version Nat, but re: the Black Rabite I've read he's somewhere at the entrance of the cavern leading to the Dark Castle.

Once the final dungeon (Dark Castle, Dragon Hole, Mirror Palace) is cleared, a black rabite statue should appear at the entrance of either the final dungeon or the area prior to it. It teleports you close to the place where the black rabite is located.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, as a setpiece and a narrative idea it's great. It could've used a mini boss or two to jazz the place up though, and let you really flex your Class 4 muscles.

I loved the aestetics of the post-game dungeon but it really could have used more bosses. Doing it the first time was fine, but having to do it again in NG+ makes it an annoying slog.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Not!Laurent continues. Not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Teleport mazes are irritating no matter where they show up.

The Ferolia section is indisputably Fire-element due to actually being ON fire.

The werewolf-type enemies being bad against magic makes sense when you remember that you're basically fighting Kevin (who is terrible at all things magic-related).

And after going through that enormous slog of a dungeon, you get a second shortcut that lets you skip the whole thing and go straight to the boss... who is actually new content, surprisingly enough. Of course, she gets even less characterization than the other villains in this game- she's just... evil for no apparent reason.

And of course, she leaves with the utterly cliche "I will always exist as long as X exists" line. Is there anyone surprised by this? But anyway, as hinted at in the text boxes, you can fight rematches against her to win some pretty overpowered Chain Abilities.

The Black Rabite is easy to find if you just remember where it was in the original. Not quite "go to the same room" levels of easy, since two routes can't access that dungeon, but still fairly simple with a quick comparison.

Anyway, New Game + is kind of ridiculous; it's easier to list what doesn't carry over than what does. I mean, you only lose story progress, class changes, and key items... and even then the "lose class changes" thing comes with the caveat that you keep all the Chain Abilities you unlocked from characters you aren't using in your current run. In addition, you get Chain Abilities from each party member you used that enormously boosts their primary stat for whoever you equip it to. Combine that with some of the absurdly overpowered abilities you can unlock in this game, and it becomes sickeningly easy. Yes, this is the secret behind me finishing four runs in the time it took Nat to finish one.

Speaking of which, I should go back and do the two characters I haven't played as yet sometime, and maybe do a couple of monogender runs too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man you killed Dragon Anise before she went into her super mode that makes her untargetable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Some people say it's better to go class 4 then fight the Black Rabite before Anise for full challenge factor, but that sounds like making this game on par with any of the Soulsborne entries. Was kind of hoping you'd go for the Sorrow Castlevania games next. Would be nice to see some of their gameplay mechanics against Super Metroid.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 29, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

Some people say it's better to go class 4 then fight the Black Rabite before Anise for full challenge factor, but that sounds like making this game on par with any of the Soulsborne entries. Was kind of hoping you'd go for the Sorrow Castlevania games next. Would be nice to see some of their gameplay mechanics against Super Metroid.

We're definitely going to do the Castlevania games at some point. But Tea has been in the copilot seat (or the corona quarantine) for a long while now and is rightly quite antsy to play videogames for you guys.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an audio desync again, but this time it's game audio. Audio seems to be a bit ahead of the video if that helps.

I'm also eager to see some more Metroidvania (Bloodstained might be a good choice for you to play too, assuming you haven't picked it up since playing Symphony), but I'm also blind on Bioshock and have been a bit curious about it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Heavy recommend for Bloodstained. I like it even better than Symphony. (Minus a few silly things. But I can live with them.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene posted:

There's an audio desync again, but this time it's game audio. Audio seems to be a bit ahead of the video if that helps.

I'm also eager to see some more Metroidvania (Bloodstained might be a good choice for you to play too, assuming you haven't picked it up since playing Symphony), but I'm also blind on Bioshock and have been a bit curious about it.

I had a double check and I'm not hearing it? I could be going deaf.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Heavy recommend for Bloodstained. I like it even better than Symphony. (Minus a few silly things. But I can live with them.)

Bloodstained is definitely on our list as well. We've avoided it because when it came out there were quite a few LPs of the game going that we didn't want to crowd in on.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Okay, looks like it might have been a YouTube hiccup on my end? I checked out the beginning again, and the sound was synced up fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Congrats on beating the Black Rabite! Of course, it'd probably be a lot easier if your levels were in the 80's or 90's instead of 70, but considering how you outlevel literally everything else in the entire game by that point...

That Chain Ability it gives you is exactly as broken as it sounds. Give it to Angela, and she can keep casting as much as you want her to. I mean, you've seen how nasty Ancient Curse is, right? How would you like the ability to cast it infinitely? And yes, you get to keep it for New Game +, so as long as you only have one primary caster your MP issues are gone forever... well, unless you decide to restrain yourself from using the utter game breaker.

A couple of odd notes: You can fight rematches against the Black Rabite in the remake. It also occasionally drops a key item that allows you to toggle Moogle status at will, though that's not all that useful since there aren't many enemies that inflict it in the first place.

The only request I have for your next LP is "have fun with that." Nothing kills an LP faster than lack of player interest.