Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Can we vote Chawwotte three times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Egadsman posted:

I am also playing this for the first time, and following along with the SD3 hard mode LP from the archive as I go. It's kind of wild to me just how much the enemies look exactly like the old sprites.

Yeah they've done a great job adapting some stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, one of the games I only got halfway through apparently had Malevodons and their good counterparts, Benevodons, The Benes were the guys who show up in this game. So the name was kinda locked in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Training points do not affect stats on their own, just whatever you get at threshold levels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Egadsman posted:

For as irritating as Charlotte's voice is, I think I prefer it to Riesz's completely flat line reads.

Riesz is odd because some of her delivery is great and some is deadpan. I don't know if the voice actress was hungover one time or the sound crew had "let your kid direct the recording" day or what. Everyone else, good bad or weird, is at least consistent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Carlie doesn't show up again like that on everyone else's adventures in the original does she? If she did then fine, but if not, I'm starting to worry we're gonna see some her over and over again in some forced comic relief role.

Don't worry, she does AND it isn't the last time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ayndin posted:

Yeah, this. I don’t love the spoken accent, and the VA seems to fall out of it from time to time, but it’s tolerable. The w infestation on the subtitles makes my eyes bleed.

Agreed, it directly fights the purpose of subtitles.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For folks playing along at home, when he asks "I wonder if you can get into that cell" the answer is yes and the guy inside gives you a skill for +10mp which is useful for a low-level caster.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

That limit on running away is pretty annoying. It's better than Legend where you flat out can't run away, but still, that's a bit of an unnecessary addition to this one.

Where he had to re-zone? It's a bug. Normally you leave combat mode when you flee. Never seen that happen and I run plenty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

It depends on the spell. "Trap" spells, e.g. dart, run on luck.

Healing goes off spirit, all of Angela's offensive spells go off INT.

Jutsus go off Int as well. Not sure about Risez's summons. I think that's everything you need to worry about in this playthrough.

For the record, class strikes go off both Str and Int regardless of the character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

There's a really good reason that I LP alongside Yorkshire Tea!

In all seriousness, talking whilst you're playing takes a fair bit of concentration so it can be easy, especially if you're thinking about what you're going to say to just not really observe things.

If the cactus 100% reward is spectacular then I'll go and get them all offscreen.

Some of the cactus things are nice QoL rewards (you can see them all on the cactus screen if you hit... some button that's in the tooltips at the bottom). The 100% one is a Chain Skill ability and ring that boost CS generation such that you can pretty much just wipe every trash group as soon as you engage, but you can't get it until just before the end boss.

If you're trying to gauge how much you should care, I'd say keep looking and don't ignore chests, but you don't have to get everything. unless you're trying to show it off for the LP.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 7, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pea posted:

This answers the question in the thread title, I suppose. :smug:

On another note: It seems a bit cynical to have the party mention that fighting low level enemies is a waste of their time. Especialy given how level grinding is needed in quite a few JRPGs.
Perhaps they implemented the bonus xp to avert this? Or was this present in the original SNES game as well?

Generally didn't need to grind in the original either. The level curve has been tweaked though, so that you hit your first class up about when you reach the first place you CAN class up, and you get the level for your second just before when you can start farming the seeds for it. Basically they eliminated the two spots where someone might mistakenly think they NEED to stay there and gain more levels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Anybody else curious where the koropokkur women are?

I'm more disappointed they didn't put a big Lil' Cactus in there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You and everyone else who has played this game. Zenova's fine until the moment you start losing control of the fight, and then B&B are a hoot.

As for avoiding ninja attacks, you have a dodge button. Probably better to learn how to use it sooner rather than later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

So full disclosure I'm about 10 episodes ahead of the LP now because I love playing this drat game.

Spoilers lie ahead for the second half of the game (Level 35+):

I'm level 38/39 on my characters after releasing the Benevedons. Does the game expect me to farm ??? seeds now? Or will it be more entertaining if I just play along and wait for them to come to me?

Being intentionally vague:
I didn't until my third, which was also when I started finding them off enemies. That third was a LOT easier afterward but it's also considered one of the worst parts of the game anyway so it's difficult to gauge.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One difficulty is that seeds on a first playthrough and NG+ are definitely handled differently. As I understand it your first six seeds (or maybe all seeds until you have the six items) are coded to not give an item you already have, but you don't "have" it yet if you grow multiple seeds at once. After that, including NG+, it's open chance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Farming them is not an option early on because enemies start dropping them after 4 cleared dungeons IIRC. I don't know what party level that puts you at, but at least 50.

2 cleared, I was finding them in my third.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

I might be misremembering, but I think it might be possible to revisit that volcano island later. I think I managed to go back there at one point while I was lost, at least; not sure if it was with the turtle thing or a future transportation method, though...

Nope, neither the future transportation nor Booskaboo will land there. No cactus there either, the lil' guy is only in places reachable at the end of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oo Koo posted:

There is one missable there that I tried to vaguely hint at earlier, but that can always be gotten in a new game+.

One of the friendly tomatomen in Tomatotown gives you a chain ability that allows you to substitute 30% of your mp costs with health.

Yeah, but no achievement or in-game reward for 100% chain skills.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That machine golem fight (and a few others) is a lot of fun as Duran because he has a provoke skill making him more likely to be targeted. Just constant dodge-rolls with no chance to get an attack in while the others fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

1. Moon
2. Nature
3. Moon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pea posted:

Unrelated: Did they ever explain why there is no Benevodon linked to Shade? It seems weird to me that there are 8 elementals, but only 7 Benevodons.

They were sealed in the manastones. On the boat Shade said that the Manastone of Darkness is missing. Back in the beforetimes people tried to harness the mana power but then began fighting over it. The darkness in their hearts awoke the Darkstone and the monsters within it, including the Benevodon, escaped. How it was stopped is unknown but the Darkstone disappeared with it.

As for my vote:
1. Nature
2. Nature
3. Nature

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

The way they pronounce Grand Croix bothers me. I mean, what language is it that pronounces that sequence of letters as "kwah?" And why would they pair it with a Grand that's actually pronounced the way it looks to an English-speaker?

French. Grand Croix is "great cross". You were expecting croy, like the sex-in-a-canoe seltzer?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah this is definitely French and definitely correct! I'm pretty sure there's a dialect of French that pronounces Grand the way that it comes out in English as well.

There's also the fudging of a blended language. For example I've noticed that when some folks say Spanish/Mexican-origin words (particularly if they don't do it often) their whole intonation will shift almost like they're badly dubbed: "I'm going to make faa-HEE-taas for dinner tonight". There there's the stereotypical Texan/American-in-general approach to just pronounce it as if it were English so the Rio Grande becomes grand. In-between those is something I mostly see from some parts of the Southwest (New Mexico, some bits of southern California from personal experience) where the words keep their pronunciation but folks are used to them so there's no reshaping of the rest of the sentence or accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One could also see the areas in Anise's dungeon as what will happen to them if the heroes fail. Valsena doesn't fit with anything we've heard in game but Nevarl is abandoned and reclaimed by the sands because the oasis dried up, Wendel is overrun with undead because the Priest died and his protection faded, Altena dies in frost without the True Queen's magic to keep the place habitable, and Laurent stays lost and decaying, ravaged by the winds that once shielded it.