Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm on the fence about this game, and honestly the thing that'll tip me is if characters can use magic without having to go to the menu. It was definitely my biggest deterrent in the original, Secret of Mana, and Secret of Evermore, to which I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. But either way I'll be watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thought that we might have a playthrough where the main character doesn't have their "partner" is giving me almost as much anxiety as a full glass of water on the edge of the table

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Probably because he was third

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Keldulas posted:

Have to say that the ally AI looks... awful. He's like maybe doing 1 attack on an enemy for every 4-5 of yours.

I'm not sure how Natural 20 has his team set, but I had little issue with how the AI was set by default. There were a few bosses, namely the Machine Golems, where I changed their AI to target the same enemy as I did, and towards the end I lifted Angela's MP restriction and she had a tendency to cast Ancient Curse as the battle was ending but the way I built her by the end meant MP wasn't an issue anyways so I found it more hilarious than anything. They will unleash their super attacks on a whim, but I found those were best to use Sailor Moon style anyways.

For the record though, my team was Duran, Angela, and Kevin. That team is gonna wreck some face no matter how you build it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
In the original the only character you don't get forced into interacting with at some point is Angela, although I think she's pretty high in the order of people who bust you out of Jadd if you already have a full party

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, nothing about Riesz's outfit makes sense. Even by videogame standards. There is literally no back to it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly what gets me is the merchants. Mildly amusing in Secret of Mana, they were slowed down juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust enough to look like something out of a horror movie this time around

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Machine Golems were definitely one of the harder bosses in the original. They hit hard, there's not a lot of room to maneuver, healing is very limited, and you have nothing to mitigate their damage or raise yours besides levels.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And, good news for perfectionists, at level 99 you have juuuuuuuuuust enough training points to max out each stat

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I voted Dark Riesz because I played Light Riesz and was less than impressed

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Your pot also needs to be levelled up. 3 and you'll barely start finding them

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's better than Radiata Stories where if an elf and a human get together an incurable disease that makes people go crazy before sealing them in cocoons forever is unleashed

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Commander Keene posted:

I was trying to remember what game it was that had the plot of "an elf and a human fell in love, now the world's gonna end".

That's the one. I love Radiata Stories but the story isn't really it's strong point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was my first team. Light Duran and the other two went dark. Nothing stood a chance against me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Up to and including Sword of Mana