Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm not sure whether it's the voice actor or the direction, but Kevin's voice is godawful. All. The incredibly. Long. Pauses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

The whole "elves and humans marrying shortens both lifespans" thing this game pulls is really dumb, IMO. It's almost dumber with the actual "elf uses magic to become human" explanation than the "fantasy STDs" hypothesis you were positing in the video. Why is that a requirement for elf/human intermarriage? Can't you just... not? Yeah, the elf outlives their human partner, but surely having a few decades together is better than having a few years together?

Blame Tolkein.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I always get Radiata Stories and Radiant Historia mixed up.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Omobono posted:

In Tolkien elves that married humans got at least a standard human's lifespan. Keep in mind that humans with close elf ancestors could live to stupid ages, at least 300 if not more. Aragorn is 80 to 90 years old during the books.

E: I just checked. Elros, Elrond's brother, lived about 500 years

Arwen explicitly outlived Aragorn by one year, she died of broken heart, not anything mystical, and she hadn't really aged even after the marriage.

So I guess I can blame the fanfiction surrounding Tolkien?

I was referring to the tale of Beren and Luthien. Luthien became mortal to share a single lifetime with Beren. Similarly, when Aragorn dies, Arwen becomes grief-stricken, "the elf-light in her eyes goes out", and she becomes only the second elf, ever, to die of old age. The other was Luthien.

Incidentally, that's why Elrond was so opposed to Aragorn and Arwen's love. Nothing to do with them being cousins, amusingly. To be fair, they're very distant cousins.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 27, 2020