Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm on the fence about this game, and honestly the thing that'll tip me is if characters can use magic without having to go to the menu. It was definitely my biggest deterrent in the original, Secret of Mana, and Secret of Evermore, to which I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. But either way I'll be watching

You have the ring menu which pauses the action to let you select an item or spell, but you can also set 4 spells/items to a shortcut menu (open ring menu, hold R and select the item you want to set to a shortcut by using the A, B, X, or Y buttons) which will let you instantly cast/use the spell/item by holding down R and using the A, B, X, or Y buttons (depends on which button you set it to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

So a few interesting party combinations:

The Traditional

The most traditional party combination is Light Riesz, Dark Hawk, Light Angela.

The reason for this is that Light Riesz gives you full buff coverage, Dark hawk gives you full debuff coverage and then Light Angela is tremendously likely to be able to nail an enemy on their weak point. This largely results in massive amounts of damage either focused around murdering bosses or murdering normal enemies.

The Party from Last time

A party I like to call "The party from last time" is Light Riesz, Light Hawk, Dark Angela.

This is a little weirder, it relies on the synergy between Riesz and some of Light Hawk's strange buffs, resulting in Riesz being able to hurl out very powerful attacks very frequently. Angela here goes Dark to take advantage of her status effects.

The Casters

This party focuses around attacking spells, Dark Lise, Light Hawk, Dark Angela.

Lise throws out debuffs on enemies as Hawk and Angela land alpha strikes to kill the enemies before they have a chance to react. With the removal of agility from the game, perhaps Hawkeye's magic power is dictated by his intelligence now?

It's the same set-up as the original: the elemental jutsus use Intellect to determine damage, but are learned from a different stat (Luck; appropriate considering Luck took over a good deal of the key features of the Agility stat that weren't excised outright).

Shuriken, like the trap/projectile spells, are determined by Luck vs. enemy's Defense.

In general, anything that deals magic damage is now keyed to Intellect.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I was looking at it from the perspective of buff magic and whether you could double up on Light Hawk and Angela with a single int buff.

Mental Boost only affects Poison Bubble, the jutsus, and some of the Nightblade spells.

Traps/Projectiles like Spike, Arrow, Hand Axe, Shuriken, and pretty much all the Rogue spells is just straight up Luck vs. Defense so their damage can only be boosted with a defense debuff and the Crit buff spell.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Trying to go for strength as Hawkeye is a mistake imho, dark Hawke is arguable the second best caster in the game, (closely) behind Angela.

Also: "I don't need to save(again)" right before the boss fight :downs:

Edit: By the way, right now you only have two debuffs: Water diversion and thunder diversion. Earth diversion is just pure damage.

Edit2: Decision Bell time, one of the best OSTs in the game.

Uh, you mean Fire Diversion? Earth Diversion and Thunder Technique are learned later on than Water and Fire Diversion.

(But yes. Earth Diversion deals noticeably more damage compared to other jutsus which makes it Hawkeye's go-to jutsu for damage in this game and this is intentional because Hit/Evade buffs and debuffs are no longer a thing.)

I'll note that what I did for my playthrough with Dark!Hawkeye was to basically dump everything into Luck (to learn his moves) and Intelligence (to increase his damage and get the Ninja Chain ability). It was pretty straightforward to build Hawkeye in this game compared to the original.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Most bosses with super attacks in the ToM remake charge them faster and/or create more objects you have to destroy in order to stop them from using their attacks.