Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't get behind the headgear Angela and Kevin are sporting in this one. In the original, I thought she was wearing a scrunchie/headband, and he was just wearing a bandanna, but these look like some kind of makeshift crowns. Which make sense giving their backgrounds, but they just look really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm curious how this version will handle the more risque elements given the original could be ridiculous at times, but I guess it could get away with it due to using one hundred percent sprite art as opposed to fully rendered 3D models here.

I'm pretty there was a topless woman wandering around Wendel in the original, and then there's Angela.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Carlie doesn't show up again like that on everyone else's adventures in the original does she? If she did then fine, but if not, I'm starting to worry we're gonna see some her over and over again in some forced comic relief role.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Asparagus32 posted:

I don't know about that npc you mentioned, but they stuck closely to the original outfit artwork.

Original Magus Artwork: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
Remake Magus Outfit: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=ToM-Angela_%28Magus%29.png

I was referring more how in the original when she's in the Jadd prison, her seduction involves her straight up mooning the beastman guard with enough 16-bit nudity to make every Christian fundie in the 90s clutch their pearls, and her special attack if you pursue her light path involves her shaking her bare rear end at the enemies. Don't know if that was removed for this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was edited out in the official release a year back.

Looking at the JP wiki page for Children of Mana, the original Japanese for "God-Beasts" can also be translated as Divine Beasts, while the Malevodons listed were the Wicked Beasts. So I can see why they named them Benevodons, but it absolutely does not fit them in a villainous role here since God/Divine Beasts can depending on the context be used in a sinister context, like divine punishment, wrath of the heavens type stuff, and Benevodons suggests nothing like that. Kind of like how the Fire Emblem class of Hero has connotations of decency and goodness, but can also be employed in a strictly martial sense morality be damned, and why some downright evil characters in those games are in that profession.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 1, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm not sure how I feel about all these little references to other Mana games and trying to do all this cohesive world building between all the different games. Reminds me way too much of Sword of Mana's bloated attempt at trying to "fix" Final Fantasy Adventure, which all it did was end up ruining it.

Yeah the Machine Golems here were definitely the original's Dorter fight no matter what your party was. The first time I ended up dying and having to restart.

After seeing that dwarf go, "Whoooeeee!" now I can't help imagining Mr. Poopy Butthole voicing all the different dwarves.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 2, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That limit on running away is pretty annoying. It's better than Legend where you flat out can't run away, but still, that's a bit of an unnecessary addition to this one.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Where he had to re-zone? It's a bug. Normally you leave combat mode when you flee. Never seen that happen and I run plenty.

I was referring to more how you can't immediately run away from a battle. You have to wait a little while until the bar fills up, then you can leave a combat situation. It's not like the original, where you can bail at any time, no questions asked.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Ye gods, the party AI outright refusing to jump over Dangaard's attacks game me PTSD flashbacks to FFXV's similarly horrible party AI.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's weird how some of the difficulty was revamped for this one. Kevin's endgame class techniques like what those werewolves were using were unavoidable and could make your life a living hell, but here, they have a limited AOE range. On the other hand, the bosses are definitely different as opposed to the original and certainly harder, sometimes artificially for the latter, since some of the attacks can definitely be avoided, but the party AI looks straight up godawful here so that makes it the limited AOE range superfluous. By contrast, given Dolan's gimmick for this one, he's absolutely easier here, as opposed to the original where he was straight up one of the harder bosses.

Also tilting my head at some of the gratuitous foreign language localization here (Succube instead of Succubus). Squeenix is sometimes a lot like Working Designs, in that they have technically competent translations that usually outclass the competition, but tend to be pretentious or outright subvert the original meaning. I know Duran's Swordmaster class was rendered as Edelfrei for the Collection translation, and I imagine it's the same here.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Given that Hawk acts and looks the part of a casanova, he'd probably be the type to consider being turned into a moogle to be a good thing. Ladies wouldn't be able to resist playing with him like a life sized teddy bear. And the Divine Beast of Light being a giant floating eye fits in with some of the actual Biblical descriptions of the angels, which often were described like typical eldritch abominations straight out of Lovecraft as opposed to simply people with wings.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I didn't find the Archdemon that tough in the original game despite people generally saying he was the strongest of the three potential final bosses (I struggled more with Jagan and the Dark Lich, but then again even the dreaded Heath came off as a wuss to me so perspective), but whoo, this guy is a pushover. And while the new Collection translation as well as this one made it clear that Elliott was bodyjacked by the Dark Prince for the final battle, that wasn't at all made clear in the original translation. There I always felt the Dark Prince was keeping the little guy around as a hostage.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The class 4 thing doesn't bother me anymore than class change actually being referenced in this game period. Calling it the Grand Class or whatever would make sense here, but if they ever do another remake or some kind of expansion, they'd probably do a thing where the so-called Grand Class would become surpassed by something else, and then calling it the Grand Class would be silly. DBZ literally had Goku reach a state called Super Saiyan God so he could simply survive against an actual God of Destruction and that quickly became outclassed a while later by...*drumroll*...Super Saiyan Blue, where even then most of his enemies from then on weren't gods. And I'm still not sure if that one is stronger than the actual Super Saiyan 4.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is that any of the standard classes that doppelganger's model is using?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Not sure if you want me to spell this one out Nat since you might want to figure it out yourself, but regarding the different versions of Class 4. Everyone has only two class 4's, one light and one dark. So you can either be SwordmasterEdelfrei or Duelist with Duran, doesn't matter, you're still getting the same dark class in the end. Those two were pretty different back in the original, don't know how much they match in this one since I never thought I'd see Angela ever being used in some sort of quasi-melee capacity like that machine gun attack, but yup, they both lead to the same path. Kind of like if you went Nightblade with Hawk, you'd still be Vigilante, Riesz is Meteorite no matter whether you go light-light or light-dark, etc. Same goes the other way. You go down Hawk's ranger path, you're still getting the same light class in the end.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Anise the witch is a villain from one of the Mana games that came out after Sword, don't know which one. I think she's supposed to be some kind of major lore character, on par with the various iterations of the Dark Lich or Vandole. I'm guessing the events of whatever game it was happened before this one, since yeah, it would be weird for our protags to give this much of a poo poo about some random fuckhead looking to cause problems when there's way bigger fish to fry.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Haven't played this version Nat, but re: the Black Rabite I've read he's somewhere at the entrance of the cavern leading to the Dark Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Some people say it's better to go class 4 then fight the Black Rabite before Anise for full challenge factor, but that sounds like making this game on par with any of the Soulsborne entries. Was kind of hoping you'd go for the Sorrow Castlevania games next. Would be nice to see some of their gameplay mechanics against Super Metroid.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 29, 2020