Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zurai posted:

I'm not sure whether it's the voice actor or the direction, but Kevin's voice is godawful. All. The incredibly. Long. Pauses.
It's the direction. It looks like they did the thing where they had the VA's try and match the timing of the character's lip movements which is why both Faerie and the Priest of Light also have heavy pauses in their dialogue.
Incidentally, I found their pauses way more annoying than Kevin's because Kevin at least sounds like someone who needs those pauses to work out this whole 'talking' thing :v:

The only VA I didn't like (in terms of acting) was Hawkeye's, strangely enough. Probably because every other character has a moment to get really emotional in their prologue and his has him sit there and grit his teeth, so I couldn't get a read on his range like I could the others.
It may also be because they carried the Neko dialogue style from the SOM remake forward for his cat person buddy and it made escaping from a hideout of ninjas that much more ridiculous :v:

Also I'll be playing this myself when it drops, so not sure how much I'll be following.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You shouldn't have to farm them.

There's 1 in a chest in each of the places you haven't been. Opening all of those up at once on a new playthrough should get you one of each item so you can class change however you want.

Farming them will just subject you to the RNGness of them from the originals, without being able to save scum them the same way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Seeds are weird. Hence why I said 'should.' I'm convinced there's some RNG proofing in there but there's plenty of people who had to farm things that I can't tell where the proofing starts.

The only guarantee is that you will never get a seed you cannot use to class change, IE a Duran Class item in a team without Duran.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And the only notable thing that grows in the immediate region is somnosa flowers. Real classy there ladies. Real classy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Nevarl Kingdom was pretty much set up to fail. That's why Laurant wasn't hard to take back because the villains don't actually care about it (and thus sabotaged their efforts in keeping it.)

Crimson Wizard's cocky but I imagine even he knows it'll take more than a single spell to bring down the Hero King. I mean, it's the Hero King. And the wizard ran out of time to do that when the party shows up. Also he kind of accomplished his goal there anyway, which was 'making sure Valsena isn't a threat' and had other things to do.

The Beastman invasion failed, but also succeeded. They wanted to strike a blow to the people's of the world by invading Wendel. Their invasion prompted the Priest of Light to put his own life at risk (and effectively take Wendel off the map) with a strong barrier. Which struck a blow to the people of the world. So uh, mission accomplished.
I imagine they got bored of holding Jadd and just went home.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

1: Wind
2: Wind
3: Fire

Get the boring dungeon out of the way first IMO.

CptWedgie posted:

...Wait a minute, I just realized: If Charlotte's mother turned into a human, how is Charlotte a half-elf?
It was less a 'turn human' spell and more of a 'make compatible' spell. She was still an elf.

CptWedgie posted:

...Why does Dryad do that... can you call that a dance? I'm gonna call it a dance.
I mean, if you were stuck in a place with the Lampbloom Woods music for Many Many years and were also a tree spirit, I'd imagine your hips would be swinging in time to it too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Especially as their health goes down. I never had a problem with the Dolan fight but I had issues with another instance of this attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jabbering Idiot posted:

As it is her voice just seemed wooden like she's trying to behave as she imagines a princess should and at other times she yells "JUSTICE!" or "THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE" or "IT IS OVER!" but I feel like I'm having to dig into her motivations a lot more than I have to for Angela or Kevin, who I feel they comfortably nailed the personalities of.

Like, I never understood why the game always forced you to see Charlotte's backstory in the Cascade Cavern and again at Dior even if she wasn't in your party or Ludgar's backstory when you don't have Kevin. Cutting this sort of thing would keep the game's plot more focused on your team's goals at these points and add some variety to having those characters at those story beats.

The lack of contractions ("it is" instead of "it's") is a hallmark of translating japanese formal speech patterns. Which yes, sounds weird in English. The 'wooden' veneer of Riesz's voice fades when she gets emotional, so I imagine that was the intent behind the VA's rendition of it. The limited voice direction shows a lot in the multiple dialog choices though, like it's obvious that some dialog was pieced together from different snippets rather than done in a natural conversation.

Charlotte is required at Dior to get the Elves to break their taboo, so both her scenes at Cascade Cavern and Dior are necessary from a 'introduce this character' and 'hey this character is important here' standpoint. Everything else is mostly worldbuilding, from Duran showing up to give you directions in the Molebear Moors, to Kevin and Ludgar's deal. It was a deliberate choice the original devs made because it helps bring across the 'there's three separate but also connected conflicts/plots going on here' aspect of the game.

And there's not a whole lot that could be done to fix the problems with the execution of that choice since they're working with a whole cloth. I mean there's only a couple opportunities to deal with Altena in the game when you're not on Duran/Angela's route. Even then, they're out of the way enough that Angela just doesn't have any worldbuilding she can accomplish. I mean, the easiest thing to do would be to have her give directions to the Ice Labyrinth to other party members, but that would require her to be in Alrant with a price on her head :v: