Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your LP of Praeterius' Sin of Mana hack was basically all the experience I had with this game up until the Collection came out. Needless to say, I was a bit confused about some of the fiddly bits when I played...

I voted for Kevin/Duran/Hawkeye, because we didn't see much of Kevin or Duran in the original LP, and Hawkeye just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll laugh if the thread ends up giving you the same Riesz/Hawkeye/Angela party that (IIRC) you used for the previous LP. So far, at least 2/3 are probably going to be the same.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just want to say that while I was going to pick up the remake eventually anyways, I bought it today so that I could play along with the LP, so you've already generated one sale for Squenix, Nat20.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure Astoria has separate maps for before and after it's destroyed, so you didn't miss the chest there the first time and AFAIK they don't respawn.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Light/Heavy knockback attack is pretty good, and it's a frequent opener for me.

As an aside, Episode 4 and Episode 6 are in the playlist twice. It's the same video, because they're both marked as watched for me. YouTube does strange things sometimes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The PCs definitely have more HP than in the original.

Here's Duran at level 1 in the original.

Here's Duran in the remake.

My Duran at level 37 in the remake has just a hair less than 100 fewer HP than my lv 50 endgame file in the Collection.

Also:

Duran nooooo

Also also: Setting an item to a quick slot (L or R + button in the ring menu) will automatically use the item on whoever needs it most.

Voting Riesz Rune Maiden, Hawkeye Ranger, and Angela Delvar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, the merchant town is called Byzel in the fan translation. The official localization in the Collection uses the same names as the remake, obviously.

CptWedgie posted:

Well, to be fair, I don't think 20 ever claimed to be particularly observant. Though walking straight past the cactus more than once, even looking right at it, and still missing it... is still pretty bad.
Also, he passed by Angela several times in Beiser while musing that he wished he could find her. Granted, live commentary does introduce another item the LPer needs to concentrate on during gameplay. It's just kinda comedic when these things happen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Keep in mind that even though Angela's spells are scattered all over her stats, you're gaining levels much faster than in the original version (I'm almost ready for the second class change and I'm about to head into the Mana Holyland for the first time), so it's not as big of a deal. You can also respec your points in the Night Market, so if you know you're going to need a specific elemental's spells for upcoming battles, you can do that.

I notice you're not using the lock-on (press in the right analog stick). Is that a personal choice, or were you not aware of that option? It's not essential for most random encounters, but I found it useful on bosses (where you only have one big thing to keep track of) or if there was a specific enemy I wanted to focus down.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So from Level 18 on, it seems like you gain training points at a 3/2 levels rate; every odd-numbered level gives 2 points instead of 1. It coincides with the number of training points needed to gain new abilities increasing from 2 to 3 and may be intended to allow you to build up stats that you haven't done much with up until now. I assume the same thing will happen with Tier 3 classes at level 38.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's true, those ladies live all in one castle, there's no room for any agriculture there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vuscav, the sea turtle/kappa monster, wears swim goggles and I love it. Also, you can "dash" while swimming the same way you dash while controlling your party (clicking the left stick on Switch).

It's explicitly stated that the reason Alrant has gotten cold is because of the depletion of Mana power; the True Queen used to be able to keep the surrounding areas warm with her power, but now she can basically only keep the capital itself warm.

E: Update on the previous page!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As far as I can tell, the Cookies increase exp payout for the entire party. If there's a way to catch the party member who sits the Gorva battle out, this isn't it. Death no longer deprives party members of exp from fights, either, so the fact that they decided to keep in the fact that the ghost ship permanently deprives a party member of at least a level's worth of exp is an odd one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I kind of had the experience you're having with Riesz's class strikes with Duran's; once I got his tier 2 CS, I pretty much stopped using his tier 1, but I found his tier 3 in the class I picked for him much more situational, most useful on large, stationary bosses with multiple parts to hit.

The "escape from battles faster" benefit from the Lil' Cactus stamp book is kind of a trap, but not for the reason you mentioned in your video; I found it pretty easy after getting it to unintentionally run from battles I wanted to fight.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ultima66 posted:

On a totally not gameplay note: it's 2020 and replaying this game sort of made me do a double take when I realized almost every character is royalty. I guess part of it is that it's easier to actually think about the story when it's voice acted and the game is in 3d, but it is kind of hosed up how much fantasy as a whole pushes the whole monarchy as a society thing. It's especially bad here, since at least with most fantasy stories merely some of the main characters are princes or princesses, but here Duran, Angela, Riesz, and Kevin are all children of monarchs, Charlotte is the granddaughter of the pope, and Hawkeye isn't royalty but he's best friends with the prince and romantically interested in the princess.
Duran isn't royalty though? He's not related to King Richard, his father's Loki, the Golden Knight. Depending upon how Valsena's monarchy and knighthood works, he might still be nobility though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The whole "elves and humans marrying shortens both lifespans" thing this game pulls is really dumb, IMO. It's almost dumber with the actual "elf uses magic to become human" explanation than the "fantasy STDs" hypothesis you were positing in the video. Why is that a requirement for elf/human intermarriage? Can't you just... not? Yeah, the elf outlives their human partner, but surely having a few decades together is better than having a few years together?

IIRC, "Angela dumps magic on everything" was how the SD3 Hardtype LP largely went, too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's better than Radiata Stories where if an elf and a human get together an incurable disease that makes people go crazy before sealing them in cocoons forever is unleashed
I was trying to remember what game it was that had the plot of "an elf and a human fell in love, now the world's gonna end".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, it's coming across rather well that you're enjoying the game. I find it funny that you've had basically one criticism where you said "I think the original did this scene better" while the rest of the LP has been pretty unadulterated gushing and you're worried we might be thinking you're being too hard on the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

• Light
  • Light
  • Nature

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Goremand more. Cause it actually works as a clever translation of his name.
:same:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The ninjas can do a lot of damage if left alone, but they're vulnerable to knockdown so you can keep them stunlocked, so I rarely had too much trouble with them in this version of the game. I had a lot more trouble with enemies in the Earth dungeon.

One thing I didn't notice until embarrassingly late in the game; you can press the X button in the item ring menu to fully heal using the item you have selected, or the Y button to heal until you'd be overhealing if you used another item, and it'll affect all characters. It's good for post-battle top-ups. I'm playing on the Switch version, so it might be different buttons on the Steam version though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I've heard (and this matches my experience at least), the game won't give you dupes of a class change item you have in your inventory until you have one of every item for each character you're using. Class changing Hawkeye and Angela before Riesz was actually kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

Given that Hawk acts and looks the part of a casanova, he'd probably be the type to consider being turned into a moogle to be a good thing. Ladies wouldn't be able to resist playing with him like a life sized teddy bear. And the Divine Beast of Light being a giant floating eye fits in with some of the actual Biblical descriptions of the angels, which often were described like typical eldritch abominations straight out of Lovecraft as opposed to simply people with wings.
Yeah, generally the lower-order angels (the actual angels and archangels) were more human-like and as you went up the totem pole you got to stuff like the Thrones (giant flaming wheels), the Cherubim (far from a diaper-clad baby, they're an amalgamation of lion/ox/eagle/man), Seraphim (who have 12 wings), and the Metatron (who is the largest angel and has 36 wings).

CptWedgie posted:

I think the fact that some shops sell multiple pieces of equipment of the same type would probably be due to the class change system; the stronger ones are the ones that're locked to your upgraded class, while the weaker ones can be used even in your base class- something of that nature sounds about right.
I dunno, I think I could use all of the upgrades from the two cat vendors at least before I class changed. I had to wait a while because I got only like 1 or 2 actual drops, and had to get most of them from chests.

CptWedgie posted:

I feel like Riesz just has a terrible Weak-Weak-Weak-Weak-Strong combo; Duran's is quick, simple, and almost as powerful as Cross Cut.
Yeah, Duran's was pretty good, although like most of his other combos that weren't Y-X I pretty much exclusively used it on foes who were knocked down.

As for Benevodon voting, I say go for Earth because I want to see if you have as much trouble as I did.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CptWedgie posted:

Er, do you mean before your second class change or the first one? Because I meant "the class you start the game in," as in "before your first class change." Just to make sure we're both talking about the same thing here.
Yes, I mean before the second class change, to the tier 3 classes I used for the remainder of the main plot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only good thing about the ice physics in the Labyrinth of Ice is that you make squeaky basketball player noises instead of the normal footstep sounds when walking.

I never said I got the exact ones I wanted right away, I said I didn't get any dupes until after I'd class-changed everyone. It took like four or five ??? Seeds for me to get what I wanted because I got both of Angela's and Reisz's class change items.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You didn't appear to notice it in the video, but Malocchio is weak to fire.

CptWedgie posted:

Yeah, Malocchio feels like he exists for the sole purpose of filling out the boss list; you could write him out entirely and it wouldn't change the story in the least. All the other lieutenants at least have a connection to your party, and frequently actually contribute to the overall plot too.
They should have kept Isabella/Belladonna as the antagonist for the Reisz/Hawkeye route and had Malocchio be the guy you chump earlier on to build up to fighting her. And to be honest, I'm not entirely certain what Mavolia actually is. Is it just supposed to be straight-up Hell, and the Mavolians or whatever are demons? Is it the D&D Underdark, literally underground and full of a bunch of scheming assholes? Something more like the Shadowfell or Thanatos, a dark reflection of the world the PCs live in and infested with the undead (considering Malocchio seems to be modeled after a vampire)?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've only played Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret, and Trials, so that'll be difficult for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your commentary seems a bit behind the action. Like here, you call out that "this is clearly a Mimic chest" after you've unboxed the Mimic. Unless that the joke?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, It's a bit late to be trying to get sympathy for Belladonna literally minutes before the final boss fight.

Also, there are two each of Ep 36 & 38 in the playlist.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm fairly sure it's her Darkside Class 4 model.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love "Prime Slime" and "Beetman" as enemy names, by the way. Good to see they're not afraid to unleash Dragon Quest Enemy Name Guy on other series as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an audio desync again, but this time it's game audio. Audio seems to be a bit ahead of the video if that helps.

I'm also eager to see some more Metroidvania (Bloodstained might be a good choice for you to play too, assuming you haven't picked it up since playing Symphony), but I'm also blind on Bioshock and have been a bit curious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Okay, looks like it might have been a YouTube hiccup on my end? I checked out the beginning again, and the sound was synced up fine.