Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wardlow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this week's dynamite poster of the week is not horny jim ross. Congratulations to everyone for participating in the thread.

1. MJeff
2. rotinaj
3. oh but seriously I
4. smarxist
5. Lid

addendum: i needed to clear up that the dpotw is 'not horny jim ross'. they are not 'not horny' jim ross. they aren't jim ross at all in other words. sorry

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Mckenzieas93/status/1253139192126767104

:siren: AEW DARK MATCHES NEED TO BE SPOILER TAGGED IN THIS THREAD :siren:
They can be openly discussed without spoiler tags in the spoiler thread if you wish

AEW Dynamite for 4/22 via https://www.f4wonline.com

quote:

The show opened with Cody starring in a video package. This was a chance for him to show off his acting chops as he sat in front of a bank of monitors as if he were Batman in the Batcave.

Cody handicapped the remaining competitors in the TNT tournament. His delivery was very good.

Chris Jericho and Tony Schiavone previewed the rest of the show.

A Sammy Guevara video package played. Sammy cut a strong promo. He said Darby beat him at Revolution but he's going to beat him tonight.

A Darby Allin video package played. This was shot in the black and white style that has been used in most of his promo packages. Allin vowed to win.

TNT Championship Tournament match: Darby Allin defeated Sammy Guevara

This was a very good match. Not as good as their Revolution bout, but this was hampered by two commercial breaks and an empty arena.

Guevara attacked Allin as he made his entrance. Guevara beat Allin all around ringside. He pulled a ladder from under the ring and set up a ladder bridge from the apron to the barricade, then placed Allin on the ladder.

Guevara hit a splash off the top rope through the ladder. The ladder didn't appear to be gimmicked and it didn't break. The ringside doctor checked on both men as they went to the first commercial break.

After the break, the opening bell rang. Guevara went to work on Allin in the ring with strikes. He teased a superplex but Allin blocked. Allin took off Guevara's left boot and began stomping and headbutting the ankle.

Guevara hit a springboard cutter for a two count. Allin barred Guevara's knee and used a heel hook. Guevara hit a boot to the face for a near fall. Allin was bleeding from the nose.

Allin rolled to the floor before the second commercial break of the match.

Back from break, Allin went for a suicide dive but hit the barricade instead. That's a spectacular spot but it's profoundly stupid.

Guevara barely connected on a 630 splash. Allin grabbed the rope and forced a break on the ensuing pin attempt.

The finish saw Allin hit a backpack stunner. Guevara tried a burning hammer GTS but Allin blocked. Allin then rolled through into the Last Supper and pinned Guevara.

Broken Matt Hardy cut a promo. This seemed to set up Hardy vs. Guevara at the Hardy compound, with Hardy working his way through the Inner Circle until he gets to Jericho. Nothing was officially announced, though.

Hardy said that Jericho never responded to his challenge. He said maybe if Jericho doesn't want to come to the Hardy cimpound, maybe Sammy Guevara should come face him instead.

Hardy said maybe Jericho didn't respond to him because Broken Matt is too intense. He said maybe Jericho needs to hear from Matt's mortal vessel.

Matt Hardy then appeared without the Broken gimmick and addressed Jericho. He said he's known Jericho for 20 years. He said he's got the back of his friends The Elite and he won't let Jericho use AEW as a platform.

Hardy vowed to kick Guevara's rear end and kick the rear end of the whole Inner Circle.

This was a good promo, particularly once he dropped the Broken character.

Kenny Omega defeated Alan Angels

Jericho was tremendous on commentary in this match. Omega gave Angels a ton of offense. Too much, really.

Angels hit a leg kick. Angels had an answer for everything Omega tried early on. Angels hit a senton. Angels used the ring skirt to trip Omega. Angels got a two count off a springboard move.

Omega missed a V-Trigger but managed to connect with a snap dragon suplex. Omega hit a V-Trigger but Angels kicked out.

Omega connected with another V-Trigger for the pin.

A Scorpio Sky video package played.

Sky said he wanted to be a wrestler for as long as he could remember. He said he suffered a serious back injury in 2008 or 2009 that threatened his career.

He said he doesn't believe in miracles but one day he woke up and his back didn't hurt. He got back into wrestling but always had bad luck as far as getting a big break.

Sky said everything changed in 2017 when SCU formed.

They played the Road To video where Dustin Rhodes vowed to retire if he lost tonight while leaving Cody a voicemail.

A Being The Elite commercial played, hyping episode 200.

Orange Cassidy defeated Jimmy Havoc

I like both of these guys but this went way too long.

Havoc attacked Cassidy before the bell and dominated the match.

Havoc choked Cassidy with Cassidy's own jacket and t-shirt. Havoc crotched Cassidy on the barricade and suplexed him on the floor.

Havoc hit a DVD and used an armbar. Havoc bit Cassidy's hands.

Cassidy finally made a comeback. He hit a crossbody and a swing DDT. Havoc cut Cassidy off again. Cassidy came back with a splash.

The match broke down into chaos. Penelope Ford jumped on the apron. Chuck Taylor tried to pull her off. Instead, Ford did the splits on the apron. Kip Sabian flew in with a tope over the top rope to the floor, wiping out Taylor and Trent.

Back inside, Cassidy tripped Havoc and used a crucifix for the flash pin.

Havoc immediately killed Cassidy wit a DDT after the match. Taylor and Trent jumped in to make the save. Some kind of multi-person match between Best Friends and Cassidy, Havoc, Sabian and maybe Ford seems imminent.

MJF cut a promo from "his rat's house" in Cape Cod.

MJF said he suffered a hangnail while gambling at his last Dynamite appearance. He said it's become life-threatening and may require surgery. The camera pulled back to reveal MJF in a sling.

He vowed to return and win the AEW title.

Wardlow defeated Lee Johnson

Just a quick squash here.

Johnson scored with one dropkick. Wardlow hit a series of suplexes and won with his F-10.

A Brodie Lee video aired.

A Dark Order hopeful was shown. His girlfriend Samantha broke up with him by voicemail. He got injured in a college football game and turned to the Dark Order website.

The hopeful met with Lee who asked him how tall he was, how much he weighed and whether or not he played college football. The hopeful answered 6'2", 240, and yes he played football.

Lee offered him success.

Brodie Lee defeated Justin Law

Lee won a squash with a discus lariat after hitting a variety of suplexes and throws.

Marko Stunt taunted Lee from the audience. Lee stared him down. This looks to be a match sometime soon.

Best Friends vs. Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian was set up via a backstage promo with Best Friends. No official announcement was made for when this will take place.

Brodie Lee vs. Marko Stunt was announced for next week. A double main event of both TNT tournament semifinals was also announced for next week.

Another episode of The Bubbly Bunch aired.

Sammy lamented that they had been down lately. Jericho said that they should do Flim Flam dances to cheer themselves up. Sammy wasn't in until Jericho promised hand sanitizer to the winner. Flim Flam was a Tik Tok spoof, in case you needed this spelled out.

Guevara won the dance contest.

I enjoyed this much more than the first episode of The Bubbly Bunch.

A hype video played for the main event with strong promos from both Rhodes and Sabian.

TNT Championship Tournament match: Dustin Rhodes (w/Brandi Rhodes) defeated Kip Sabian (w/Penelope Ford)

This really could have used a few more minutes.

Rhodes took the early part of the match. He worked on the left arm of Sabian. Sabian backed Rhodes into the corner. From there, Ford grabbed the ankle of Rhodes which allowed Sabian to take over.

Sabian hit a penalty kick for a near fall before a commercial break.

Sabian worked on the left leg. Rhodes did a nice job of selling like he was having a tough time walking and running. Rhodes used a quick crucifix for a two count.

Sabian hit a knee to the chest and used a lariat for a near fall. They traded cradles for near falls.

Rhodes made his comeback and hit a bunch of signature spots, including his powerslam.

Sabian cut Rhodes off and hit a DDT for a near fall. Sabian hit a series of punches from mount. Sabian took the referee.

With the ref distracted, Ford jumped in the ring. Brandi jumped in and hit her with a spear.

The finish saw Rhodes make it to his feet and hit a code red for the pin on Sabian.

Rhodes celebrated in the ring after the match.

As the show was going off the air, Schiavone said that Tony Khan just told him in his ear that Kip Sabian & Jimmy Havoc vs. Best Friends in a no DQ match was signed for next week.

I thought this show was paced pretty well but it lacked some sizzle outside of the opening match.

I would have given the main event more time and cut the Havoc/Cassidy match some.

Empty arena wrestling continues to be a tough watch but there's great effort from the crew here.

News
Tony (K not S) got into a twitter fight but it was football related not wrestling related.

Upcoming Schedule

NEXT WEEK
BEST FRIENDS VS KIP AND JIMMY NO DQ NO COUNTOUT
BRODIE LEE VS MARKO STUNT
THE SEMI FINALS OF THE TNT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

Links
The Official AEW Podcast! https://link.chtbl.com/AEW
Everything Elite Podcast the second most official and second most leftist podcast for the #1 promotion: https://redcircle.com/shows/everything-elite Everything Elite now has a weekly preview show!
AEW Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA
Being the Elite Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2V6TA0OqHr9BojcHz9az-w
Twitter https://twitter.com/aewrestling
AEW on TNT Twitter: https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT
Myspace https://www.myspace.com/aewrestling

Your First New Champions in AEW History the Second AEW Tag Team Champions:

Your Second AEW Women's Champion:

And finally, your first All Elite Wrestling Champion to not have his title belt stolen at Longhorn Steakhouse

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I enjoyed this week's Dynamite. If I had to pick a favorite segment, though....

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Good Dynamite, enjoyed the squash matches, and enjoyed Wardlow.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

very enjoyable episode after one or two so-so ones, very happy it was here for us in these trying times.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Peacedlow

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
They’re continuing to weave pretty good shows out of having taped a months’ worth of stuff in a couple days with a small piece of their roster.

Wardlow.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Jericho is already a hall of fame commentator, what a crazy stat roll this man got at char gen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
they uploaded it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmXMJFrRHJI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good show, good promotion.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
COVID Dynamites have been of yo-yoing quality, but this was one of the good ones

I was HERE for Warlow's Gorilla Press Powerslam and signaling a thumbs down(?) before forcing Lee Johnson off the top rope onto a G2S knee

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Jericho's commentary makes these shows much more bearable than they would otherwise, kept losing my poo poo at jericho forgetting tha t jobber's name

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So about Double or Nothing. Are they contractually obligated to perform a $50 pay-per-view on May 23? This feels like this is the reason it's still going on. If they can change this, the best option would be to do it for free on Youtube ala Fyter Fest/Fight For The Fallen as a sign of good will. If they need to do an actual price, at least chop it to $9.99, maybe with some proceeds going to help medical facilities. I feel like keeping the way it is would damage both parties and it seems insane to me that they aren't changing it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Edit: This was a double post. Enjoy Wardlow.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
also missed these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsK_aoJsHM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8lGslF7jEw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm catching up on the part of the show I missed, and I really dug the Broken Matt/Regular Matt switch mid-promo.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mods change thread title to MR. MAYHEM (Wardlow)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Coaaab posted:

COVID Dynamites have been of yo-yoing quality, but this was one of the good ones

I was HERE for Warlow's Gorilla Press Powerslam and signaling a thumbs down(?) before forcing Lee Johnson off the top rope onto a G2S knee

First tweet I could find with a gif of the latter

https://twitter.com/Kenton_la/status/1253131507914473475

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Waffleopolis posted:

So about Double or Nothing. Are they contractually obligated to perform a $50 pay-per-view on May 23? This feels like this is the reason it's still going on. If they can change this, the best option would be to do it for free on Youtube ala Fyter Fest/Fight For The Fallen as a sign of good will. If they need to do an actual price, at least chop it to $9.99, maybe with some proceeds going to help medical facilities. I feel like keeping the way it is would damage both parties and it seems insane to me that they aren't changing it.

PPV is a pretty big part of their revenue streams, I think. I hope they chop it down to like 29.99 or something.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna see Wardlow & MJF vs BBB, I need a Butcher and Wardlow hoss off

edit: or maybe Wardlow can face turn? there's a real dearth of hoss' on the face side

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

smarxist posted:

I wanna see Wardlow & MJF vs BBB, I need a Butcher and Wardlow hoss off

edit: or maybe Wardlow can face turn? there's a real dearth of hoss' on the face side

Mr Mayhem tossing around all 7 members of the inner circle in a year and a half is going to rule.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
so what, goldberg, batista, and lesnar all in one match?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

How in the hell did I not see this posted in older threads?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVRUJReiOoE

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the crazy thing to me was that he literally wasn't even out of breath after tossing around 180lb man for several minutes

he's in his prime at 32 and seems to have a hell of a gas tank for a big guy, he might be a dark horse for a title shot

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LARDROOM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Episode was good, Chuck's reaction to Trent saying he wanted to fight Penelope was gold, they should have let him say the s-word as a birthday present.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Waffleopolis posted:

Yes, they have a contract with the PPV companies. No clue about the price, but they do have to provide shows for PPV.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they'd probably have to pay some kind of hefty penalty to completely cancel the show, so from a "the company needs to survive" position, it's probably better to cobble together the best show you can under the restrictions, but it's obviously not a great proposition for everyone else. it's just a lovely situation all around :(

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wardlow?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

the after-show stream is so much fun. EX and Taz really like having fun with each other

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

the after-show stream is so much fun. EX and Taz really like having fun with each other

Taz watching 2012 Hockey games is really loving great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I want to believe that the new Dark Order guy is Mr. Touchdown.

I mean, he wouldn't be the first Throwbacks member on the roster. Not the second either if you count Colt Cabana/Matt Classic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

they'd probably have to pay some kind of hefty penalty to completely cancel the show, so from a "the company needs to survive" position, it's probably better to cobble together the best show you can under the restrictions, but it's obviously not a great proposition for everyone else. it's just a lovely situation all around :(

Just from a storyline standpoint I feel like you need to do occasional major shows just so things can reset. I feel like by late May while this won't be over you can fairly safely run another set of tapings with the talent in an empty arena and at least get some direction. The shows can still feel like fun B sides but it'd be nice to just blow off a few feuds so things aren't left hanging. Except for Blood and Guts keep that unresolved until 2021.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think we'll get Jericho vs Mox rematch to end Moxley vs Inner Circle, and free all of them up for a big rowdy feud with Dark Order,

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I loved this theme but holy poo poo it goes absolutely bonkers at around 1:56 then jumps up another notch completely at 2:56.

This has to be the ETID guys. This song loving SLAPS.

Give it a full listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Got recommended the Wardlow vs Cody steel cage match tonight because I hadn't seen Wardlow wrestle before tonight. That was loving sick. That moonsault at the end. Hard to believe that was only 2 months ago.