Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quotey posted:

i assume they just adjust buckets without stating, so the actual class winrates things to adjust are up in the air. i asked iskar in his q/a session about the group learning bucket but no response, will try to do it until i get one.

man i would love to see some bigger stats on duels, but firestone is the only one that really collects adn noone runs it so....

Here's some commentary on the changes from TeamAmerica, the only streamer I've found who actually plays Duels. I was thinking about the Frost Shards nerf in terms of actually getting the minions for Grand Finale, but he's right in that it was key for letting you curve out every turn.

I've had some fun with Duels but it would need an overhaul before I'd want to keep playing it after I eventually get a 12-0 win. I don't even care about achievements in general, I just wanted that one for the XP/gold, but of course I've spent way more gold trying to get it than I'll recover from it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, sample size of one and all, but I'm going to say they did change the way the buckets work. I've had 1-2 Nature's Army buckets after each game, and I've never seen this before :

edit : yeah, it's definitely changed. Two games later and I've had another 1-2 Nature's Army and no Group Learning.

edit 2 : I'm not so sure Discard Warlock is that nerfed. With these pool changes the ones I've faced have had a LOT of Boneweb Eggs and Silverware Golems.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 20, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Obfuscation posted:

On an idea level I'm not super excited about spell schools being a permanent mechanic. Since they just copied the schools from wow, the cross-class school synergy possibilities just can't be very exciting. Like, how much deck construction challenge can there be when probably every paladin spell will be holy? In any card you could probably replace "holy spells" with "priest or paladin spells" and it would be functionally identical. Similarly, druid and shaman will be 90% nature. Warlock and mage get their unique snowflake schools that won't share synergies with any other class.

But yeah I'm just spitballing here based on like the one card that they revealed, maybe they will end up doing something clever with it.

Depends on where they go with it. Modern WoW makes a big thing about balance druids dealing about 50% arcane damage, 50% nature damage (hence the balance). Shaman use frost, nature and fire, while warlocks sometimes use shadow and fire as well as fel, while demon hunters obviously use fel as well. paladins will likely be near 100% holy, but I expect they will be the only class where this is true.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
If the pre purchase mega bundle included the battle pass I would have dropped $80 immediately but I’ll probably just skip it and buy the battle pass alone.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I'm definitely getting the battle pass this time as it seems like good value. That plus probably the £15 post release bundle they seem to do, plus a chunk of the 10k gold I'm floating should get enough cards to make most decks. Having bought the preorder for probably 5 expansions in a row previously , it does seem like HS is getting marginally cheaper..

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's in the battlepass that makes it worthwhile this time round?

I'm going to skip the preorder this time as I have built up a ridiculous 20k gold, seems silly not to use that.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So apparently on twitter it's been confirmed that Dream will now be 1 mana and can only target enemy minions.

Haven't been able to find the confirmation/tweet yet, but if it's true guess Blizzard was conscious of possible shenanigans.

Also Malygos is making a last hurrah with Shadowhunter Vol'jin OTK decks :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 20, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh Y'shaarj in BGs doesn't keep the minion summoned anymore. Thank god, getting both the summoned and one in your hand would've been super broken.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Kalko posted:

Ok, sample size of one and all, but I'm going to say they did change the way the buckets work. I've had 1-2 Nature's Army buckets after each game, and I've never seen this before :

edit : yeah, it's definitely changed. Two games later and I've had another 1-2 Nature's Army and no Group Learning.

edit 2 : I'm not so sure Discard Warlock is that nerfed. With these pool changes the ones I've faced have had a LOT of Boneweb Eggs and Silverware Golems.

Yeah my druid run had basically 2 Nature's Army each time. They're tailoring the buckets to your deck more. No wonder they nerfed Kilmox again- this is bound to break some archetypes.

I wonder which ones though...

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Flayer posted:

I'm working on the basis that it's the same as before. I might be wrong but I think if you're a regular player you basically earn it back or very close to it in the extra gold.

Although if you've got 20k spare gold you might not need that!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Flayer posted:

I'm going to skip the preorder this time as I have built up a ridiculous 20k gold, seems silly not to use that.

It was worthwhile last time, but there were a lot of unknown factors (XP gain) and moving targets (with the reward track being adjusted multiple times).

This time everything is known upfront, including an expected price for the miniset, and the BattlePass pays for itself in gold by ~Level 130 or so.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

AnacondaHL posted:

It was worthwhile last time, but there were a lot of unknown factors (XP gain) and moving targets (with the reward track being adjusted multiple times).

This time everything is known upfront, including an expected price for the miniset, and the BattlePass pays for itself in gold by ~Level 130 or so.

Do you know what the equivalent level without a bettle pass is, so if you got to level X this time round without one you should consider getting one next time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So apparently on twitter it's been confirmed that Dream will now be 1 mana and can only target enemy minions.

Haven't been able to find the confirmation/tweet yet, but if it's true guess Blizzard was conscious of possible shenanigans.

Allegedly, these are the new dream cards:

Mostly nerfs, with a laughing sister buff (lol). Newsera is still a great card, the awakens and nightmare nerfs are not substantial and dream is still very strong.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

I looked around a bit but couldn't find a list. Do you have one to share?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

fanny packrat posted:

I looked around a bit but couldn't find a list. Do you have one to share?

Can't share deckcode currently but here's a list I've seen:

Plus Malygos.

I could see a Malygos Vol'jin Rogue being a thing, but haven't seen any lists.

Edit: Here's my probably very bad thrown together Vol'jin Rogue.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 20, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaejierFJk

About 15 minutes into the stream, one of devs noted that Druid's going to be losing Wrath and Swipe with the new core set, in favor of using "feral" cards similar to Pounce.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

orangelex44 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaejierFJk

About 15 minutes into the stream, one of devs noted that Druid's going to be losing Wrath and Swipe with the new core set, in favor of using "feral" cards similar to Pounce.
It's hard for me to care since neither card has been good in a really long time. They're ubiquitous because in most rotations they're all Druid has that does the thing but if they have a more unified approach then it is probably for the better.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Do you know what the equivalent level without a bettle pass is, so if you got to level X this time round without one you should consider getting one next time

(I Re-checked the calculation now with the actual XP per level values, along with the 10% and 15% adjustments in the early levels, it's closer to Level 160 now)

Without Battle Pass if you get Level 160: 317,200 XP total, 11,150 raw gold

that means with Battle Pass you would have gotten Level 200: 377,200 XP total, 13,150 raw gold

and anything beyond is gravy

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Can't share deckcode currently but here's a list I've seen:

Plus Malygos.

I could see a Malygos Vol'jin Rogue being a thing, but haven't seen any lists.

Edit: Here's my probably very bad thrown together Vol'jin Rogue.

Neat, thanks. I'll probably try them out tonight!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uh, are rank 1 spells basically just omega spells? :v:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Acerbatus posted:

So uh, are rank 1 spells basically just omega spells? :v:

The extra level between "no mana" and "10 mana" actually matters quite a bit though. They can calibrate the power level a bit more, such that it's not only good when used at 10 mana like omega spells were.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's true. I guess 2 mana summon 2 3/2s isn't awful if you discover it for Warlock or something.

e: I know everyone says this when a new set is revealed but boy these new cards look bad lol

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 21, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is the first rotation of the year so 3 sets are being dropped. It always seems to lead to a lower power level overall. Plus the new core set is another unknown balancing factor.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think Samuro is a little alarming. I don't think it's a good effect to have at neutral.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Does anyone have a decent N'Zoth Warrior deck? I want to complete some achievements.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

No Wave posted:

I think Samuro is a little alarming. I don't think it's a good effect to have at neutral.

I think Frenzy is a one time bonus though (like Spellburst) so keep that in mind

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

IIRC its a once per turn effect

e: I did not remember correctly

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 21, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's an actually good Sergeant Sally.

Back when I was trying Handbuff back in MSG/Un'goro, the archtype's main weakness was its lack of boardclear/ability to come back when behind.

Samuro can do that and also push for tempo whilst ahead.

Obviously we're going to need a bit more Handbuff to pull it all together, but I think Samuro is already a pretty cool and good card. Like a mini one-sided Baron Geddon.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
going through all the FitB cards so far on the official site

Desperate Prayer (0 mana Priest Holy spell) Restore 5 health to each Hero - trash, *

Spirit Healer (4 mana 3/6 neutral minion) After you cast a Holy spell, give a random friendly minion +2 Health - could possibly go into Libram/Pen Flinger Paladin (if Librams are given the Holy type) but I can't see Rez/Big Priest running it, **

Imp Swarm (Rank 1/2/3) (2 mana Warlock Fel spell) Summon 1/2/3 3/2 Imp(s) - a 3/2 for 2 at Rank 1 isn't good enough for Zoo and you don't want to be holding it till t5, Control and Combo Warlocks have much better options than this, *

Druid of the Plains (7 mana 7/6 Druid Beast) Rush, Frenzy: Transform into a 6/7 Kodo with Taunt - in isolation a 6/7 taunt which deals 7 damage to a minion is powerful, but there aren't really any big Druid decks around, unless the rotation brings Guardian Druid back into relevance, **

Sunscale Raptor (1 mana 1/3 Hunter Beast) Frenzy: Shuffle a Sunscale Raptor into your deck with permanent +2/+1 - it'll probably see some play in an Aggro Beast Hunter but far too often it's doing to die without the Frenzy triggering and I think quite soon it'll get dropped, **

Razormaine Raider (5 mana 5/6 neutral minion) Frenzy: Attack a random enemy - I feel like Frenzy gets worse as mana costs increase because your opponent is more likely to have an answer that doesn't trigger it, a lot of the time this is just going to be a vanilla 5/5/6 which is just not good enough, *

Mankrik (3 mana 3/4 neutral Legendary minion) Battlecry: Help Mankrik find his wife! She was last seen somewhere in your deck. - someone will build a meme deck with the intent to summon as many wives as possible, otherwise this might be tried in a couple of Highlander decks but ultimately I don't think it's impactful enough, **

Peon (2 mana 2/3 neutral minion) Frenzy: Add a random spell from your class to your hand - this could be a Battlecry instead of a Frenzy and I still don't think it would see play, *

Bru'Kan (4 mana 5/4 Shaman Legendary minion) Nature Spell Damage +3 - it seems like all lightning spells are getting the Nature tag, this could definitely be a gamechanger in terms of making a Spell Damage Shaman viable, *****

Chain Lightning (Rank 1/2/3) (2 mana Shaman Nature spell) Deal 2/3/4 damage to a minion and a random adjacent one - pretty decent removal which will probably get played most at ranks 1 or 2, some Spell Damage Shamans won't run this but some will, ***

Blademaster Samuro (neutral 1/6 Legendary minion) Rush, Frenzy: Deal Damage equal to this minion's Attack to all enemy minions - as a 1/6 I just don't think doing 1 damage to the enemy board is good enough, but with a handbuff it's very strong, if Control Warrior is a thing I think this makes the cut, ***

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 21, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Samuro's #1 use will be in Warrior with Samuro + Inner Rage, should the card still exist and the interaction work as it is expected to.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Does Highlander exist anymore? Zeph and Alex are rotating out, right?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Devo posted:

Does Highlander exist anymore? Zeph and Alex are rotating out, right?

I wonder if any of the rotating cards will be part of the core set.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also the more I hear about it the more Mercenaries mode is sounding like a Darkest Dungeon clone rather than Slay the Spire, but maybe has influences from both.

...Hearthest Dungeon

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's hard to really get a read on anything because for the first time we don't really know what the baseline is. Of the cards revealed so far, I feel like Bru'kan, and maybe Spirit Healer are the only ones that would see any play right now, and even then I'm not sure how viable lightning burn Shaman would be right now. Druid of the Plains and Blademaster Samuro could be good with the right support, and Chain Lightning's viability depends on what the other meta decks are doing.

Desperate Prayer could see use in wild in an Auchenai burn Priest deck, but it's definitely not good on its own.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Chernabog posted:

I wonder if any of the rotating cards will be part of the core set.
If they make Zephyrs part of the core set I think I'd be tempted to quit the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sirtommygunn posted:

It's hard to really get a read on anything because for the first time we don't really know what the baseline is. Of the cards revealed so far, I feel like Bru'kan, and maybe Spirit Healer are the only ones that would see any play right now, and even then I'm not sure how viable lightning burn Shaman would be right now. Druid of the Plains and Blademaster Samuro could be good with the right support, and Chain Lightning's viability depends on what the other meta decks are doing.

Desperate Prayer could see use in wild in an Auchenai burn Priest deck, but it's definitely not good on its own.

This will probably the biggest disruption to the standard meta since WoToG released and they rotated cards to Wild for the first time. I wouldn't feel comfortable making any predictions right now. When evaluating a class it's not only that we don't know which basic/classic cards go out, which wild cards return and what the new cards are, other classes will maybe change as drastically. What if DK Rexxar comes back? What if Reno comes back? What if Ultimate Infestation comes back? There are a ton of things that will shake the meta up, so while Druid of the Plains currently has no deck it would be run in, things might be very different in the Year of the Gryphon.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Has anyone done a summary of which cherished cards and deck archetypes are are rotating out?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Frenzy is definitely starting to feel like an Overkill-bad mechanic. It works on Rush and maaaybe Taunt minions, but anything else is going to be too hard to activate if your opponent gets the opportunity to remove it before you can do anything (and even if they can't, it relies on an opposing minion with low enough attack to activate).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not a whole lot of wild cards returning (4 for each class). I wouldn't expect anything huge or obnoxious (death knights, crystal core) to return. Tomb Pillager is one of the returning cards apparently which is a good card but not something that takes over the games it's in.

GTO posted:

Has anyone done a summary of which cherished cards and deck archetypes are are rotating out?
40% of the basic and a quarter of the classic cards are returning so we don't know what's out yet. This page has what we know is in the core set so far: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Core.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I watched the Q and A session yesterday and they said Death Knight cards are not coming to Core this year, but might in the future.