Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

The old cards had better art though.

Ysera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What’s the difference between classic and basic?

Basic was the cards you got when you made your account/leveled up the classes, classic are all the cards that were originally released that you had to spend gold/money on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The full art is certainly weird, the in-game art is good until you see the hands.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fenarisk posted:

Newest blue posts are that all old dragons are being totally replaced and you'll get dust in exchange like if they were HoF.

So basically even if you wanted to play them in wild you can't.

Can you link this? This is basically the exact opposite of what was written in the official announcement:

initial annoucement posted:

Are there any dust refunds associated with this?

No. We are rotating Basic and Classic to Wild just like other card sets that have moved to Wild in the past, and providing the new Core Set for free. No cards in Standard or Wild are being nerfed.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Haven’t played Hearthstone since the first couple of expansions, but Battlegrounds looks like it could be fun in a “RNG big numbers/wonky combos and mash them together” kind of way. Is it pretty decent for that, and are there any decent primers for getting back into it?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

No Wave posted:

So Jaraxxus hero power is apparently the same, and he gains five armor instead of putting you to 15 life....... not a fan of this change.

sirtommygunn posted:

:agreed: Honestly I wish they did more hero cards like old Jaraxxus that set you at a specific health so there was some depth to "when do I transform".

Uh, no, this change is AWESOME AND YOU WILL FINALLY FEEL THE FULL POWER OF JARAXXUS UNLEASHED

Seriously though, while I get what you’re saying as far as the tactical depth of timing the play, but getting set to a maximum of 15 life meant that anytime you played him against anything but the most passive of control decks you were just inviting the opponent to OTK you immediately. If you set the new life higher than that then you start edging up on having a pseudo-OG Reno effect that can wipe out turns of progress on your opponent’s part in a single card. It’s not a great mechanic in general, which is probably why we haven’t seen it since Blackrock Mountain when it was even sillier.

I know that people have negative opinions on hero cards because a lot of the old ones were overpowered, but when you compare new Jaraxxus to them (and especially to the 9 or 10 mana ones) he’s kind of weak. Yes, he has the hero power that will eventually grind any opponent out, but most of the good expensive heroes had a lot of lifegain built in on top of their value generation, where Jaraxxus just has the 5 armor, and his immediate impact on the board is limited to the 3 attack weapon. You can’t really take a turn off to play him if you’re behind on board by more than about a medium sized minion.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm mad that you can't summon the 3/15 anymore

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why the gently caress are they bringing back coldarra drake?

Getting 2 TGT cards on a weak archetype. Someone hates Mage.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Envoy Rustwix mirror matches are the dumbest thing ever.

e: I won a priest game with more cards in my deck than I started the game with this deck loving owns

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 2, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Amoeba102 posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of direct damage cards and removal cards are extinct now, across all classes. Pinging might go further that one might expect this next year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

orangelex44 posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of direct damage cards and removal cards are extinct now, across all classes. Pinging might go further that one might expect this next year.

I noticed that as well. At least Mage still has fireball.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they support this archetype because the design space seems pretty limited. You would want the hero power to continue to deal damage so it can interact with the 2-drop, but short of reducing its cost or making not-Inspire type effects I don't really see where they can go. Maybe a legendary with a big payoff if you can stick the drake; something like 'Battlecry : Discover a spell each time you use your hero power this turn.'

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

To be fair we're not dealing with TGT Blizzard. Hunter got two "Inspire" cards last year which were very strong, and Odd Mage support was well designed (y'know despite the gamebreaking framework that is Odd/Even :v:).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There is still good removal in the set of cards from last year. There is still a lot of Rush. It's too expensive to make much from it on the turn you play it and it'll still more than likely be gone by your next. Hunter's new "inspire" cards are not something you put out prempitively. Maybe you tour guide premptively though. They also get removed with prejudice asap. Coldara drake would need to combo with what ever new mage cards come to complement it, and still have mana to do multiple hero powers. And at best it'd be 1 mana hero power, otherwise that's just an OTK. It just doesn't add up for me as being good ever. Anything good they print will be better off not trying to combo with Coldarra drake.

Cheap hero power combo stuff works better. Mage will lose the arcane amplifier (hero power +2 damage), which was actually okay to have come up because it had decent health for early in the game or it was a 5 mana 2/5 deal 3 damage which was surprisingly impactful - especially when you got the minion from font of power. Other than that, there is tour guide and the draw panther. Not really that great with Coldarra drake. Even if Coldarra drake survives a turn, the potential for 10 mana for 5 damage is a big waste of a turn, and not really that impactful later in the game anyway. Fallen hero is too easily removed, and only being +1 damage a lot less impactful. And a 4 mana 3/2 deal 2 damage is worse than just playing elementals and playing gyreworm.

The only time I recall HP mage being good was with the dragonhawk spirit and the fire Eater just to enable Jana'Alai, but that wasn't that great anyway. So, since they've added these to the core, they'll probably waste card slots printing for a bad archetype.

Snap freeze is also garbage, even if it's 1 mana cheaper. Mainly because they're thinning freeze effects a lot, and you might not have some to spare as activators. So just run better cards instead.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

One card I'm particularly interested in and surprised about is Gurubashi Berserker. I've always loved the design of the card and was saddened that it never ever had any relevance in its 7 years of existing. That they bothered to include it in core and even buff it gives me some hope that it'll finally get a chance to shine.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

So given these tweets:

https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1366473024275324929

and the likely target of March 23rd for the 20.0 Patch (given that the pre-purchase bundles leave the shop on the 22nd), it sounds like there won't be a balance patch before Masters Tour Ironforge (March 12th).

Honestly I think this is fine because Stealth Rogue is getting hated out hard by the meta right now in Legend, and is starting to trickle down the ladder. I don't expect to see more than one lineup with it in the Top 8 of the MT. Whirlkick is a fair deck to have at the top of the meta.

Because of this (and the likelyhood that Rush will be a major thing come 20.0) I've finally crafted ETC and am testing the Aggro Rush Warrior deck. I honestly can't tell if I'm winning because people are mulliganing thinking I'm playing an actual deck, or if this deck is actually good.

No change from the vS list:

### Pirate Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Athletic Studies
# 2x (1) Imprisoned Gan'arg
# 2x (1) Nitroboost Poison
# 2x (1) Stage Dive
# 2x (1) Upgrade!
# 2x (2) Bumper Car
# 2x (2) Crabrider
# 1x (2) E.T.C., God of Metal
# 2x (2) Parade Leader
# 1x (3) Ancharrr
# 2x (3) Playmaker
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 2x (4) Steeldancer
# 2x (4) Sword Eater
# 1x (5) Captain Greenskin
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
# 1x (5) Doctor Krastinov
#
AAECAQcEyAPerQOq0gPO3gMN/wPuBry5A+LMA93NA4vQA/fUA7PeA7XeA7reA8HeA4HkA5HkAwA=
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/DLKgCke4FjILZioNu1clAd

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AnacondaHL posted:

Can you link this? This is basically the exact opposite of what was written in the official announcement:

Apparently the devs themselves aren't sure on what to do with the core and classic cards, see this hearthpwn post for an overview: https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/8029-changed-core-cards-will-replace-legacy-cards-with

So I think this could still go either way, we will just have to wait a bit longer to find out on what method Blizz settles.

Edit: As expected, there will also be a host of nerfs to cards reverted or partially reverted: https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/8031-this-weeks-nerfs-postponed-till-patch-20-0-later

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think all the old dragons will still exist in wild, but Ysera's dream cards will be changed on both versions of the card. The dragons have new names and arts so they are distinct cards.

The question of replacement is specifically around cards with the same art/name that are changed in the new core set.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 2, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, that conversation was definitely in the context of Bluegill Warrior and Stonetusk Boar if you look up Iksar's tweets.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

No Wave posted:

I think all the old dragons will still exist in wild, but Ysera's dream cards will be changed on both versions of the card. The dragons have new names and arts so they are distinct cards.

The question of replacement is specifically around cards with the same art/name that are changed in the new core set.

This is how I read it as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
To be honest the fact that Nitroboost hasn't been changed to 2 Mana yet is kind of surprising and also worrying.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nitroboost is strong but removing Southsea Deckhand is probably enough of a nerf to keep it in line post rotation. Without a cheap charge it requires a lot of setup to use to its full potential.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hot take: change hunter’s hero power to deal 2 damage to a minion

(the old “your hero power can target minions” cards can let it hit the enemy face)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

2 to a minion is probably too strong for a basic hero power. The mage hero power is basically never used for face unless you're floating mana and it's not considered an especially weak hero power.

Maybe 2 damage to a random enemy? Make it sort of an echo of deadly shot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Sharpshooter should've been made core. Or at least Steamwheedle Sniper.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
2 damage to a minion is too strong and not in flavour or sync with the whole "go face" thing, 2 damage randomly just seems bad also. Agreed on a Steamwheedle/Sharpshooter keep though, it's just a natural extension to the hero power.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anyone else having weird happenings with battlenet today? uh my friend list is wiped clean

Also new book of heroes out lol who cares

E: Seems like Hs is just hosed today. BG opponents showing as "your opponent" instead of their names and people on reddit are pulling a maiev skin "card" from the rogue pack without actually getting it

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tin Tim posted:

Anyone else having weird happenings with battlenet today? uh my friend list is wiped clean

Also new book of heroes out lol who cares
Dang, haven't even bothered with the Priest one yet.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Flayer posted:

Dang, haven't even bothered with the Priest one yet.

I'm stuck on sylvanas and apparently I don't get to play Valeera until I beat it because there's no way to back out of garrosh's. Awesome.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Jeza posted:

2 damage to a minion is too strong and not in flavour or sync with the whole "go face" thing, 2 damage randomly just seems bad also. Agreed on a Steamwheedle/Sharpshooter keep though, it's just a natural extension to the hero power.

I think the problem with the Hunter hero power is that the new core set seems to be trying to move Hunter away from "go face" and focusing it more on midrangey builds. I suppose 2 to face still isn't that bad in that scenario though, you can just consider it a bit of extra reach.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

enki42 posted:

I think the problem with the Hunter hero power is that the new core set seems to be trying to move Hunter away from "go face" and focusing it more on midrangey builds. I suppose 2 to face still isn't that bad in that scenario though, you can just consider it a bit of extra reach.

Which was the original design of the class, they finally did it, they made Hunter Mid-range/Control. It only took them gutting a lot of the fun and cool beast support from the core card list (I'm upset about this).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
In the thread: people who liked classes with way above-par basic/classic sets bitching that they lost cards from their basic/classic sets

try playing Paladin, Priest, or Shaman and realizing that they cut like 15 cards from each and no one cared because each one sucked

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Why is the first fight in the new book so difficult what the gently caress? Also I seem to be drawing cards in the same order every time.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Makes me feel a bit bad to see this small company struggle with frequent bugs in their client and game. At least their shop always works so that they can generate a bit of income and stay afloat while they fix it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

So this post isn't useless: I'm kind of warming up a little to the idea of Krush in the core set. Maybe with the reduction of face damage all around, hunters will be able to play a slow game and finish out games with 8 or more to the face. They're pushing a lot of value generation, especially with one of my favorite cards Dire Frenzy. And despite hunter still having bad draw, there are two ways of digging for specific cards in the core set on top of the already great Scavenger's Ingenuity. Still think Krush could've used a 1 mana reduction.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 2, 2021

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jeza posted:

The whole go face thing is dead; kill command, UtH, huffer, and eaglehorn are all gone. The only decks hunters even still have are highlander and dragon based, both of which are sets from last year that will be gone. If they want hunters to have this big focus on the board and minions then they need a hero power that can affect it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The whole go face thing is dead; kill command, UtH, huffer, and eaglehorn are all gone. The only decks hunters even still have are highlander and dragon based, both of which are sets from last year that will be gone. If they want hunters to have this big focus on the board and minions then they need a hero power that can affect it

The idea is that you get to focus on the board with your above average beasts and use your hero power to whittle away your opponent, using your minions as well when you can afford to ignore the board.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Hunter got some solid midrange tools back, like baby stitched tracker and dire frenzy. I'm sure that they are going to be getting more sticky beasts this year as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

sirtommygunn posted:

Nitroboost is strong but removing Southsea Deckhand is probably enough of a nerf to keep it in line post rotation. Without a cheap charge it requires a lot of setup to use to its full potential.

What Rogue is even running Southsea? They just use stealth minions anyways, it synergies with their deck better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I was running Southsea :nyoron: