Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The lady from the peanut brittle story has their own character :eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

SponsorBlock. It automatically skips the sponsored messages on youtube that regular adblock can't get because they're part of the video.

This really needs to be highlighted as a Good Recommendation.

Sponsorblock does for YT what uBlock does for normal webpages. I haven't seen a single shill for razors, mattresses, VPNs or loving Skilshare since installing it.
Throw in a uBlock rule to block those irritating video overlays at the end of a video and your life is complete.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

humpthewind posted:

I'd like to piggyback off the previous post and recommend people post browser extensions (chrome) that they use that make their daily web browsing more enjoyable.

I'll start it off with ublock origin (duh) and html5 autoplay blocker

HTTPS Everywhere, 1Password and Facebook Container are my tinfoil hat extensions.

Bypass Paywalls lets you read pretty much most paywalled newspaper websites. It requires Developer Mode in Chrome, but works just fine in Firefox - you will need to install from Github though.

Reload All Tabs is a nice utility one because on any given workday I'll have like 10-15 tabs open on news websites, data feeds (and SA bookmarked threads, obviously) and it's nice to be able reload them all in a single click/hotkey.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

humpthewind posted:

I'd like to piggyback off the previous post and recommend people post browser extensions (chrome) that they use that make their daily web browsing more enjoyable.

Dark Reader

It's really good for browsing in the dark, especially if sites don't have a native dark mode. I use it as the default for a lot of sites now.

There's color settings, whitelists and custom CSS rules you can tweak.

If you're gonna use it on SA and want spoiler tags to render correctly, do this:

- Click the extension icon
- Click 'Dev Tools'
- Go to the bottom of the text box and add this code:

code:
================================

forums.somethingawful.com

CSS
.bbc-spoiler {
    color: #D0CDC8;
    background-color: #D0CDC8;
}

.bbc-spoiler-reveal {
}

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm a big fan of Caffeine, a little program for Mac that puts a button in your menu bar to toggle whether the screen turns off with inactivity or not. It's nice to be able to set that behavior without going into preferences.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

I'm a big fan of Caffeine, a little program for Mac that puts a button in your menu bar to toggle whether the screen turns off with inactivity or not. It's nice to be able to set that behavior without going into preferences.
There's also Amphetamine, which is pretty much the same, but either works on different OSX versions or has slightly more features or something? There was some reason I chose it over Caffeine, I dunno.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A thing called Caffeine is available for Windows also.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

ErrEff posted:

Dark Reader

It's really good for browsing in the dark, especially if sites don't have a native dark mode. I use it as the default for a lot of sites now.

There's color settings, whitelists and custom CSS rules you can tweak.

If you're gonna use it on SA and want spoiler tags to render correctly, do this:

- Click the extension icon
- Click 'Dev Tools'
- Go to the bottom of the text box and add this code:

code:

forums.somethingawful.com

CSS
.bbc-spoiler {
    background-color: #D0CDC8;
}

.bbc-spoiler-reveal {
}

I'm so glad this exists! Thank you

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
How about something that will tell me, without me having to do any kind of work or thinking, if my hard drive is dying? I am computer dumb so it has to be something with few numbers and maybe a UI that features a smiley face for good hard drives and a frowny face for bad hard drives.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

How about something that will tell me, without me having to do any kind of work or thinking, if my hard drive is dying? I am computer dumb so it has to be something with few numbers and maybe a UI that features a smiley face for good hard drives and a frowny face for bad hard drives.

How about : "Opening the program displays a Big rear end Green Box saying poo poo's fine right away as literally the main component of the first page that comes up"?

Name of the program up top.

e: and lots of other features and stuff too.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 19, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

How about : "Opening the program displays a Big rear end Green Box saying poo poo's fine right away as literally the main component of the first page that comes up"?

Name of the program up top.

That looks perfect. Thank you, you handsome goon you.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

DirLinker https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=dirlinker

When your C drive gets too full and you want to move something in Program Files or your Steam library to a different drive. This thing will copy the files over to the other hard drive, delete them in the original location, and then put a symlink there so all the registry and shortcuts bullshit still works.

sfxr http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

Make some sound effects for your game jam.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of disks, I've been running FreeNAS for about a year now, and it's pretty great. I use it as a backup file server for my network, backing up various other devices to it. I have an old 3U rack case that I put a cheap motherboard and processor in, and just stuffed it full of disks. It works quite well, though I do want to upgrade the fans in that little case because it gets warm. FreeNAS has a slight learning curve (versus what I used to do, running Windows-based file servers) but it wasn't too hard to learn how to do what I needed it to do.

e. FreeNAS probably isn't niche, but whatever. :P

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2020

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Does this work on Windows 10?

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

dirby posted:

Yep!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

snowshovelboy posted:

sfxr http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

Make some sound effects for your game jam.
I used it to make a blippy bloopy event sounds theme for Windows.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Just want to second CrystalDiskInfo as the one-stop shop for disk diagnostics.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

doctorfrog posted:

If I still browsed YouTube and hadn't adblocked the "watch this poo poo next" thumbnails, I'd be reaching for this one right now. I friggin' hate bad YouTube thumbnails.

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of disks, I've been running FreeNAS for about a year now, and it's pretty great. I use it as a backup file server for my network, backing up various other devices to it. I have an old 3U rack case that I put a cheap motherboard and processor in, and just stuffed it full of disks. It works quite well, though I do want to upgrade the fans in that little case because it gets warm. FreeNAS has a slight learning curve (versus what I used to do, running Windows-based file servers) but it wasn't too hard to learn how to do what I needed it to do.

e. FreeNAS probably isn't niche, but whatever. :P

I second FreeNAS. Serves as a Plex media center, and a backup target for my laptop and my wife's. I put an extra server at my parents' for replication, just in case my whole house burns down.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Desktop Sheep

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Grand Egg posted:

Desktop Sheep

Goddam that's a blast from the past

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

A Grand Egg posted:

Desktop Sheep

If anyone picked up the itch.io BLM bundle last week it includes an awful desktop goose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQx6fyrZDWM

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

dirby posted:

mklink has been a core part of Windows for over a decade and it's never going to go away since Windows uses it internally as well.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

A Grand Egg posted:

Desktop Sheep

Has anyone seen that 357.exe game around where the mouse pointer shoots bullet holes in the screen?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Beartaco posted:

If anyone picked up the itch.io BLM bundle last week it includes an awful desktop goose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQx6fyrZDWM

I love this but holy gently caress it's pinning my CPU usage at 100% lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

I love this but holy gently caress it's pinning my CPU usage at 100% lmao

Look the bitcoins aren't going to mine themselves

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The true spiritual successor to Bonzai Buddy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Moo the cow posted:

This really needs to be highlighted as a Good Recommendation.

Sponsorblock does for YT what uBlock does for normal webpages. I haven't seen a single shill for razors, mattresses, VPNs or loving Skilshare since installing it.
Throw in a uBlock rule to block those irritating video overlays at the end of a video and your life is complete.

It bears mentioning that you can hook this into YouTube-DL with a pack or companion scripts because of course you can. Man I love that program. Point output at Plex and run it as a cron job and you now have YouTube premium for your iPhone for no cost. Tis’ bitchin.

Also you cowards should use Lynx as your web browser.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

grillster posted:

Has anyone seen that 357.exe game around where the mouse pointer shoots bullet holes in the screen?

holy moly

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Pretty sure it's 16-bit software which makes it niche

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

grillster posted:

I remember having a blast with something similar that let you use multiple tools to smash insects, burn the screen, etc. Can't recall the name of the software though.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

CaptainBeefart posted:

I remember having a blast with something similar that let you use multiple tools to smash insects, burn the screen, etc. Can't recall the name of the software though.

Desktop Destroyer

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
HDAT2 is the best hdd diagnostic tool

testdisk + photorec are the best data recovery and carving tools

R-Studio is good too but costs money

Paladin is the best free computer forensics suite

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
How about a program to capture video from a device, like a usb camera, live? Oh, and uh free. Free is the best.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

How about a program to capture video from a device, like a usb camera, live? Oh, and uh free. Free is the best.

This could work for your needs I believe:
https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/capture

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bronze Fonz posted:

This could work for your needs I believe:
https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/capture

Bronzie, how could you possibly rock so hard. I would like it said that the reason I am asking this question is because this beautiful bronze bastard sent me a fancy pancy new camera to use for my impending dumb project.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

You can put the cam on top of the car and have an RC cam to inspect the cable remotely with!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OBS Studio for all your video streaming & capture needs.
https://obsproject.com/

Edit: or if you want something to run in the background or part of a script, ffmpeg

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pablo Bluth posted:

OBS Studio for all your video streaming & capture needs.
https://obsproject.com/

This thing is cool as heck. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry if this is a repost but OpenRA is the poo poo.
I waste way too much time playing it.

https://www.openra.net/

When I was a younger I used to think how cool it would be if Westwood would update Red Alert 2. Years later we've got a different squad that rewrote the engine for modern systems, which includes enhancements to the skirmish system, maps, graphics, and player controls such as attack vs. defense stances. Active git community and cross platform.