Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I couldn't leave the house for lunch today (all-day drat meetings), so I decided to give Doordash a try. While checking out, I noticed they have dashpass for $10 a month, which gives you free delivery from pretty much all the restaurants around me... including almost all of the better pizza places.

So for $10/month, I can waive the delivery free, and order from almost everywhere. Why would I ever use the chain's delivery driver?

Is there more going on beneath the scenes?

I also heard the Doordash used to ( does?) cut peoples' pay when the customer tips well. Anyone work for them, and know if it's still the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

third party delivery services are loving terrible for the restaurants. they take a 15-30% cut of the total sale out of the restaurant's pocket AND charge the delivery and other fees to the customers. because of this, restaurants usually increase their prices for people ordering through these services.

many of them also add restaurants to their platform without the restaurant's knowledge or permission, using old menus and poo poo. that gets customers upset at the restaurant when it's definitely not their fault. some services have even set up their own phone numbers that route to the restaurant's actual number in order to collect fees on the order. Yelp has been known to use those numbers on their site.

um so I guess my point is don't use the middlemen delivery services, at least if you plan on ordering from independent restaurants because they are really predatory and bad. I guess if all you're ordering is domino's like 10 times/month then it's not as bad except for making tech bro companies lots of money and not the stoner delivery kid that lives nearby

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

UltraRed posted:

I also heard the Doordash used to ( does?) cut peoples' pay when the customer tips well. Anyone work for them, and know if it's still the case?

They and Instacart both did the same thing. They'd advertise a minimum rate for a job, say $6. If the person tripped them 5 dollars, Doordash would pay 1 to bring the total to 6. They would only pay more than $1 if the tip wasn't enough to meet the minimum.

They both got changed eventually, thank gently caress.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

third party delivery services are loving terrible for the restaurants. they take a 15-30% cut of the total sale out of the restaurant's pocket AND charge the delivery and other fees to the customers. because of this, restaurants usually increase their prices for people ordering through these services.

Ah, I didn't notice. I'd never been to this restaurant before, but I just compared the prices from my local pizza place to DD, and it looks like the prices are 20% higher per item.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
We have Deliveroo in London at least, and they’re exploitative as gently caress. In addition to the massive cut they take, they also (used to?)have a regulation that says you aren’t allowed to sell food at a different price at your place of business, so you either raise prices across the board or accept that the (hopefully massive) increased trade will only net you a tiny increase in profit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's my Doordash horror story:

Our local Italian place went up on Doordash so I figured why not. I put an order in. It arrived 30 minutes after the estimated time. The delivery person told me the restaurant was super upset and that I was their last ever Doordash order. Weird, but OK I got my food. Except I didn't. The order was 100% wrong. The entrees weren't even the right type of pasta or sauce or anything. I got on the horn with Doordash, and they put in another order with the restaurant. About 5 minutes after the order went in, the restaurant's status on Doordash changed to 'closed.' It wasn't really closed but just closed as far as Doordash deliveries go. I called up Doordash again to find out what the hell is going on and where's my new order. The person said there wasn't anything they could do and they just cancelled the order and refunded it. This was like an hour and a half after I initially placed the order.

I called up the italian place and explained what happened. The manager apologized and explained the reasons they stopped using Doordash. First, Doordash didn't even contact them. As far as the restaurant goes, they're just getting take-out orders, so Doordash put their menu and poo poo on the website. Second, and this is related to the first one, the people calling in the orders kept loving them up just like what happened to me. I went ahead and put in a takeout order with the restaurant and they expedited it. When I got there, the manager comped the whole meal, added some deserts and gave me a gift card. I asked her, "Are you sure? This whole thing isn't on you at all." They said it was all good and they appreciated my understanding and business.

So in short, gently caress Doordash, Grubhub and all those business. Yes they offer delivery for places that normally don't, but it's at the cost of eating small business profits, loving over the drivers, and the customer.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What's wrong with Grubhub?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/susie_c/status/1255971900599046144

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geez. I knew it was bad but I didn’t think it was that bad.

Never have used a third party delivery service and never will.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At $8 per order, not including downtime, you might almost make minimum wage as an “independent contractor” for these assholes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck my life, i have ordered so much through grubhub

this is extremely disconcerting

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda surprised they'd even offer to take a cut to their normal prices.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's like grubhub is paying this restaurant in exposure, instead of money.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I worked as a pizza delivery driver from 2013-2018, at the best, busiest place in my city (we were featured on the Food Network’s You Gotta Eat Here at one point.) I worked for the restaurant and was paid in small delivery fees plus tips only. No wage. So the more I delivered, the more I made. With a supercharged Grand Prix and a top of the line radar detector, around 2015/2016 before Skip The Dishes/Ubereats/Door Dash, etc., were really a thing, I was ripping around the city making an average of about $35/hour on the regular. Some nights as much as $45, for 6-8 hours.

Then the delivery services came to town sometime in late 2016 or early 2017, and delivery orders began gradually decreasing. So slowly at first that it was almost imperceptible. Gradually, though, those “low day outliers” began to be every day, to the point that, closer to when I quit, I was struggling to break minimum wage. At that point there was so much infighting between delivery drivers at our store ripping off other drivers by taking quick orders they weren’t in line for, or taking more orders than there were drivers on shift, when those would be the only orders for several HOURS, that I finally said “gently caress this, I’m out.” Management at that place had always been laissez-faire at the best of times, and practically nonexistent if not outright malevolent at the worst, so I quit. It wasn’t worth the hassle. And when it’s your own vehicle, and your own gas, and your own insurance that you’re paying for, the reward for that much “hassle” had better be pretty big. It used to be, but it just wasn’t anymore.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 16, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Handen posted:

I worked for the restaurant and was paid in small delivery fees plus tips only. No wage.

How is this even possible? Isn't this black letter law illegal?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

quote:

But he brought up another problem - the prices were off. He was frustrated that customers were seeing incorrectly low prices. A pizza that he charged $24 for was listed as $16 by Doordash.

My first thought: I wondered if Doordash is artificially lowering prices for customer acquisition purposes.

My second thought: I knew Doordash scraped restaurant websites. After we discussed it more, it was clear that the way his menu was set up on his website, Doordash had mistakenly taken the price for a plain cheese pizza and applied it to a 'specialty' pizza with a bunch of toppings.

My third thought: Cue the Wall Street trader in me…..ARBITRAGE!!!!

If someone could pay Doordash $16 a pizza, and Doordash would pay his restaurant $24 a pizza, then he should clearly just order pizzas himself via Doordash, all day long. You'd net a clean $8 profit per pizza [insert nerdy economics joke about there is such a thing as a free lunch].

quote:

Was this a bit shady? Maybe, but gently caress Doordash. Note: I did confirm with my friend that he was okay with me writing this, and we both agreed, gently caress Doordash.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That pissbag Danny From Google in the comments is something else.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

shadow puppet of a posted:

That pissbag Danny From Google in the comments is something else.

This was great thanks, I sent it immediately to like five other people. And yes, Danny is some kind of lizard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jose Oquendo posted:

How is this even possible? Isn't this black letter law illegal?

Depends on the state.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

There are places where as long as you average over $2.13 an hour tips they don't have to pay you anything at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rick posted:

Depends on the state.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

There are places where as long as you average over $2.13 an hour tips they don't have to pay you anything at all.

God Bless America.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Please dont use Grubhub, Doordash, Postmates or any of those services. It fucks with with all of us in the system except you - the Beloved Customer.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

just to chime in as somebody who got a few free months of dashpass through a credit card promo -- yeah, it waives the delivery fee... ONLY from select restaurants, and then only IF you spend $12 or more, and the service fees and taxes are reduced but you're still paying them. so, with the tip included, a qualifying dashpass order is likely to still be $15-20, even for something i could have driven to the restaurant myself and picked up for less than $10.

granted this may only be true in my specific area, which is not exactly a dense urban scene with lots of competing services and restaurants, but it's still a huge rip-off no matter which way you look at it!

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
As someone who needed a quick gig in between jobs, let me say working for Grubhub, Postmates, Doordash, is a essentially like working as a pizza delivery driver, except your making considerably less, and you have no co-workers, no relaxing time at the pizza shop to shoot the poo poo, and every restaurant is always angry at you, because "they never signed up for this".

----------------

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Torquemada posted:

We have Deliveroo in London at least

this made my american self laugh out loud

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

down with foreign silly delivery app names, up with american nietzschean delivery app names

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Fööder
hUngr.y

----------------