Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:siren:Yes It sucks, but Viz/Shueisha have only translated the first 7 chapters and 45+. To Read the chapters between those points you are going to have to go to third party sites. :siren:

Plot Overview(Thanks Wiki)

quote:

The story focuses on Kei Yonagi, a high school girl who strives to become an actress. She lives with her two younger siblings, after their father left them and their mother died. Kei has an extreme talent for method acting, to the point where she loses track of reality while acting. At an audition, some speculate that acting of this intensity could be self-destructive, and cite that as a reason for not accepting her. However, Kei catches the eye of the highly acclaimed director Sumiji Kuroyama, who steps forward with the intent of bringing out her full potential.

The Structure of the Series is generally that it is based around a production that Kei is participating in.

The Arcs so far are as follows.

Intro

Death Island Arc

Galactic Railroad Arc

Princess Iron Fan Arc.

Characters

Kei Yonagi

The heroine of the story, She’s had to take care of her two younger siblings from a young age, and as such her free time was spent watching movies. Which she immersed herself in movies emotionally to the level where she essentially self taught herself method acting.

Sumiji Kuroyama

Director, The man who discovered Kei Yonagi’s acting talent, founder of his Studio(one other employee) and is currently Kei’s Manager.

He has won numerous film festivals overseas but never received notoriety in Japan.

Chiyoko Momoshiro

(AKA The Angel of Stars). She’s the top Actress in Japan right now. Her Acting Style is the polar opposite of Kei’s. While Kei requires an ability to understand what her character is feeling and uses the character’s thought process, Chiyoko is someone who has been trained to care only for what the audience sees and expects from her.

Chiyoko and Kei have a great best friends and rivals thing going on.

Araya Myojin

The Chameleon. A Stage actor who like Kei also uses method acting to portray the characters he’s been cast as.

Riku Ogami

“Ricky”. Formerly affiliated with Stars as their top actor, but hit a wall in Japan, and left to America to advance his career. His Acting style is that of raw charisma. He is only ever himself.

Why should you read it.

I’m bad at making sells, but this series has a great cast and character work, fun interactions between characters, and some really really good art.

This is currently my favorite manga in Jump and is completely unlike anything else they have currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There are some good 2 page spreads in Princess Iron Fan arc i'd be inclined to link. Princess Iron Fan arc has been a real good arc in general

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kei Yonagi just always having the most intense eyes is also good

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This is a great manga, it's like modern Glass Mask. Which is good because Glass Mask rules.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My manga theory is that the Japanese government orders the creation of manga to trigger interest/enthusiasm for fields where they need more/better people.

This manga specifically is the result of Japanese politicians watching Japanese television dramas and going "drat this is some lovely acting, something must be done about this."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's a good manga, yes.

It's also interesting in that it's one of the uncommon Jump serieses with a writer and artist team instead of one person doing both. The artist was actually scouted online after a Jump editor liked her fanart and went "Hey, I'm with Jump, I have a writer you might work well with, you want to see if you have what it takes?" back when she was around 19.

Turned out she did!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a good manga, yes.

It's also interesting in that it's one of the uncommon Jump serieses with a writer and artist team instead of one person doing both. The artist was actually scouted online after a Jump editor liked her fanart and went "Hey, I'm with Jump, I have a writer you might work well with, you want to see if you have what it takes?" back when she was around 19.

Turned out she did!

Yeah, and She's like probably the best artist in Jump?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Myriad Truths posted:

This is a great manga, it's like modern Glass Mask. Which is good because Glass Mask rules.

It will also finish before Glass Mask does.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Can we also appreciate Kei's impeccable fashion choices?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dexo posted:

Yeah, and She's like probably the best artist in Jump?

I'd say she probably does the best of conveying almost uncanny valley-level human expression in very anime-looking characters, which is pretty good considering the manga she's working on!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If it wasn't for Chainsaw Man's ruthless desire to yell :byodood: "gently caress ALL Y'ALL!" at the top of its metaphorical lungs, this would be my favorite thing currently serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump. As is, though? It's an incredibly fun series and Kei is a fun as heck protagonist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

New Chapter

lol this just their take on Pocari Sweat and Otsuka

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Next arc is going to be Yonagi doing TV it seems

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I started reading this at the beginning of the month and I'm all caught up! I love it! Hiiragi is my favorite character because I'm weird like that (it bears mentioning that she was the protagonist in the prototype one-shot of this manga, which was about film-making and not acting).

What I've really liked about this one is that it has one of the better (if not best) treatments of women in Jump. Not only are they main characters with agency, there's little of the usual sexism that happens in a shounen manga. There's also Chainsaw Man too, I guess.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I started reading this at the beginning of the month and I'm all caught up! I love it! Hiiragi is my favorite character because I'm weird like that (it bears mentioning that she was the protagonist in the prototype one-shot of this manga, which was about film-making and not acting).

What I've really liked about this one is that it has one of the better (if not best) treatments of women in Jump. Not only are they main characters with agency, there's little of the usual sexism that happens in a shounen manga. There's also Chainsaw Man too, I guess.

Yeah, Because so much of the main cast and important are women, it doesn't fall on like 2 characters to represent all women. Also the writer can actually write teenagers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Dexo posted:

Yeah, Because so much of the main cast and important are women, it doesn't fall on like 2 characters to represent all women. Also the writer can actually write teenagers.

I really like the mini arc where Kei befriends people in school because it does solve her problem of being entirely defined by her acting, it just feels like a good, logical step in the story and provides a bit of a breather between major story arcs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Act-Age manga to have 'new project announcement' on june 1st.

Could be an anime?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If they give this show to a good animation studio I bet it will blow the gently caress up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
MAD-HOUSE! MAD-HOUSE! MAD-HOUSE! MAD-HOUSE!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think an anime adaptation will also need the best voice actors for this story. (Does anyone have any picks of their own?)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kei is going to need a VA that can do deadpan really well but also have a shitload of intensity. Tomoyo Kurosawa (Kumiko in the Sound! Euphonium franchise, Sothis in Fire Emblem Three Houses) could probably do it, and Ayane Sakura (Mika in Psycho Pass, Iroha in My Teenage RomCom SNAFU) could do it with her eyes closed.

For Ogami I can only imagine him voiced by a VA that can do one or two voices but that they're super easy to identify like Yoshimasa Hosoya (Shichika in Katanagatari, Shin in Dorohedoro) or Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Makoto in Free!, Ban in Seven Deadly Sins).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-05-31/act-age-manga-gets-stage-play-in-2022/.160090

It's a stage play. I'm okay with it, though we'll probably never see it outside of Japan.

It would be wild to have a play about a play though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
TV Historical Drama Arc! I'm already liking the new characters getting introduced.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Allarion posted:

TV Historical Drama Arc! I'm already liking the new characters getting introduced.

Yep.

Also For those who wish to catch up

https://twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1271672765012049922

Viz has finally started to translate the backlog.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lol Kuroyama certainly has a type.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Dexo posted:

Lol Kuroyama certainly has a type.

He's a simp

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Oh so that's why the child actor got introduced prior to this arc. Of course!

Poor Hiiragi can't catch a break

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Oh so that's why the child actor got introduced prior to this arc. Of course!

Poor Hiiragi can't catch a break

Kei stole her manga out from under her.

You harm an enemy like that, you make sure she's not in a position to seek retribution.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao Yonagi for the first time is dealing with insecurities that she never had with Chiyoko because Chiyoko's character is one who isn't abrasive or combative.

The Same insecurities that Chiyoko has wrt Yonagi.

When you are incredibly not mad.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 22, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Catching up on the last few chapters, this manga is still real good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1291997915955814401

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For the record, this manga is a two person production and the artist had nothing to do with the incident.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1291997309681598464
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1292011982304862209
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1292024187121307648

Yeah, gently caress the author, and prayers up for the victims.

Less important than the victims but I do hope Shiro Usazaki comes out of this okay she's a great artist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly i cant imagine anything more upsetting than being a young female artist and losing your job because the writer youre working with did this kind of poo poo, so yeah. Even if she wasnt one of the victims, she kind of is one too, in a sense. Even if her careers fine shell always be publicly associated with this

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well apparently I picked the wrong time to start reading this. Even if it continues I'd feel wrong reading it. :/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1292733867477086208

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

act-age is canned, over, kaput. they will continue to support the artist, whatever that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in conclusion, end the manga with a page of kei and chiyoko making out while flipping off the camera