Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Popete posted:

I own the base game but haven't played since release. Is there any DLC worth picking up that adds new land/content beyond armour sets and building materials?

Isle of Siptah does that, which just came out of early access today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

There are a bunch of good beginner tip videos on YouTube. Though I got my info on what to do from the Neebs gaming series on conan.

My biggest tip for new players is to find a safe spot, built a base near water, and work towards metal tools and weapons.

Thanks! The first video actually helped me out by clueing me in on where I can get plant fiber from right away.

So while I know this is the PC thread, anyone with gamespass interested in some Anvil Goon of Crom play?

Shame there isn’t cross play. But I can imagine that the PC version is a very different beast in someways then the consoles.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is pretty fun, I never thought I’d like an online survival game, but I really love the options you can play it SP/CO-OP to start out with and how you can customize the server.

It’s funny though I am forever denied dong options on the series X.

Here are some of the lessons that took a while to learn.
1. You need a hatchet to get wood...whoops. Funny thing is the wiki states even with a pick I should have still gotten some wood.
2. After killing an animal you then “attack” it again to harvest the stuff.

Still it’s been a fun learning experience and I’m happy it’s on Gamepass. I have to imagine it’s even better with friends.

I also bought the riddle of steel dlc...because reasons.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

This game is pretty fun, I never thought I’d like an online survival game, but I really love the options you can play it SP/CO-OP to start out with and how you can customize the server.

It’s funny though I am forever denied dong options on the series X.

Here are some of the lessons that took a while to learn.
1. You need a hatchet to get wood...whoops. Funny thing is the wiki states even with a pick I should have still gotten some wood.
2. After killing an animal you then “attack” it again to harvest the stuff.

Still it’s been a fun learning experience and I’m happy it’s on Gamepass. I have to imagine it’s even better with friends.

I also bought the riddle of steel dlc...because reasons.

The pick was changed recently, if I remember correctly, to only give bark and resin. The wiki probably wasn't updated. A pickaxe will give you wood, bark, branches, and resin.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Debating if I want to play on a full PVP servers or a PVE conflict. Anyone have thoughts on this? I plan to play solo and I'm not a huge PVP person but I do enjoy the added element of risk in this game and I don't wanna reach late game and not have anything to do.

Is it a big problem getting your base wrecked on PVP servers?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
On pvp you don’t build for looks. If you want to make cool castles that look awesome play some sort of pve.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Too bad you're not on pc because we got a good chill server where you can just go bonkers with buildings.

Oh also I'd recommend getting a warrior thrall asap. Even a fighter I will help a lot, plus then you can work for a II, III and then named ones. Also if either a bearer or if you get thr dlc, the rhino or elephant.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Double Agent posted:

The pick was changed recently, if I remember correctly, to only give bark and resin. The wiki probably wasn't updated. A pickaxe will give you wood, bark, branches, and resin.

Funny enough it’s only bark I’ve gotten. I actually spent time looking for trees vs the more tropical ones near water. lol

Oh can anyone recommend a good base building tutorial, something simple. I will say I’m quite happy with the speed of my progression so far. Granted base building, which I don’t like doing in any game…I went to law school, not Architecture school. It’s probably why I’ve avoided most survival games, but I really really like the customization and easy dIfficulty option.

Now I’m sure if I played on a regular server I’d get murdered.

Does anyone know how much server rentals are? Cause honestly with so many people having games pass, perhaps we could get a Goon console or at least Xbox server.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I was just thinking, Conan Exiles is now on GeForceNow, so perhaps I can just get a pc copy and play with goons?

Edit: Oh man steam keys are like $10…hmm.

2Xedit: bought it.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 29, 2021

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually I was just thinking, Conan Exiles is now on GeForceNow, so perhaps I can just get a pc copy and play with goons?

Edit: Oh man steam keys are like $10…hmm.

2Xedit: bought it.

Good decision, I can't imagine playing this without mods.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pickup+ breaks the server all the time but drat is it useful.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What mods would you recommend? Because I’m using GeForce Now I’m not really sure how many mods I can use if it’s not done via steam workshop.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Chiming in to say the game is cool and the goon server was great last time I was playing. Highly recommend it. Even if you intend to build alone, goons are really good at helping out with questions or if you're lacking some sort of resource. Id really discourage playing alone, especially on default progression values.

Thrall system is basically like Pokemon, and before long you'll have combat thralls become laughably strong. They'll straight up solo a camp (which can actually be a problem later on if you're trying to achieve a specific goal). Also the map is really cool and has some diverse areas. Makes exploring and finding settlements a lot of fun. I feel the game gets off on the wrong foot by starting you out at (imo) the most bland part of the map.

e: To those who feel weird about hiring forced virtual labor, the thralls are actually really into it. They want nothing more than to be your ally and live in a cool house like you do. You can also rename items and structures too which helps with this. Despite multiple bug reports and version upgrades, the Wheel of Fun is still listed as the Wheel of Pain (which of course isnt thematically correct). As you know, you put freshly met thralls onto the wheel of fun which shows them how much better it is to hang out with you, their new best friend. Once you rename it to the proper title, its smooth sailing from there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You're not enslaving people, you're employing them. It's a wheel of training. That's why all the combat thrall I use in my job fairs are hr reps.

I know I and a bunch of other high level players have boxes of free stuff near our bases.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Has anyone had awful lag on Xbox the last few days? I’m not sure if it’s a port issue of mine or the servers. All my other games are fine with no lag.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

buglord posted:

Chiming in to say the game is cool and the goon server was great last time I was playing. Highly recommend it. Even if you intend to build alone, goons are really good at helping out with questions or if you're lacking some sort of resource. Id really discourage playing alone, especially on default progression values.

Yeah even if you never actually see another goon it's fun just being on a server other people have built on. We have some really creative people and it's fun to randomly encounter what other people have made. It makes the world feel more lived in if nothing else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's why I keep building random things in random places. I just wish there was a better fast travel system. The only thing I prefer ark on is you can akwata select which bed you respawn at. So if you have a dozen beds around the map, when you die you can respawn at any of them.

Though it's a bit moot with Ark as you can just tame a birb and fly over everything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can suicide-express back to your main base then Map Room out. You only have to walk if you're carrying stuff.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

No map rooms or obelisks on Siptah unfortunately. After getting the full release of Siptah, overall I much prefer the Exiles map, Siptah did some interesting things but I found the different biomes on Exiles way more interesting and engaging.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Siptah has “biomes” like plains, shoreline, mountain pass, and redwood forest. Theres tons of geographic differences, just no real temp extremes. Take that for what its worth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Siptah more due to it being easier to get around and resources are more spred out.

Exiled lands has resources all clustered together and its really annoying to travel 4 grid squares for metal. Though the worse is brimstone, having it just in any decent amount in one location is super annoying. Yea there is a obolisk there but it takes a long long time to unlock your map room.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I built my main base near the oasis in that region because it had easy access to brimstone and thralls.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Has the lag got better for anyone on xbone? I still cannot do combat at all due to rubber banding.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Playing this on Singleplayer becomes a lot less frustrating when you bump the Thrall Crafting timer right down to 0.1.
And manage to capture one of the named Thralls.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've moved over to Siptah and discovered that if you spend as much time sprinting as you can, you can reach chests with high-quality loot 30-60 seconds before the mobs defending them spawn in.

Always-Online is still a very stupid idea for single-player content.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

kingturnip posted:

I've moved over to Siptah and discovered that if you spend as much time sprinting as you can, you can reach chests with high-quality loot 30-60 seconds before the mobs defending them spawn in.

Always-Online is still a very stupid idea for single-player content.

You can just pick up a legendary dagger/2haxe/hammer/spear on dusk island, if you know where to go. You can easily reach them without getting hit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’m thinking of getting a private server for Conan Exiles since it’s on gamepass and it supports private servers, and playing with goons is always the way to go.

Anyone else interested? Hell I’m also fine with playing on regular servers too, I just want to try playing with a larger group of people.

Sorry for the tri post (here, Xbox, and survival thread). I know this is PC, but the game is on games pass and if you have ultimate, you don’t even need a system, you can just play the Xbox version from the cloud.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Dev stream from yesterday revealed a new DLC coming next week, based on the Nemerian culture. Which is basically medieval German.
I skipped through most of it, but here's a video from someone summarising what they talked about and speculating on maaaaagic arriving in 3.0 (which the devs pointedly said very little about):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MzI5wU_To

I'm not sure I'm fully down with the maaaaagic speculation, but there was a bit where the Lead Designer said that they still want to make religion an important part of the game (which it was always supposed to be), so I guess there's a potential link there.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Love the look of the building pieces.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, I'll have to build a third base with those.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

After a couple of years of playing Ark with a dedicated group, it is real nice to hop over to this game where it is a lot more stable, encumbrance with your mount is way less of a pain to manage, and you can make about forty different versions of Dave Navarro or Jason Momoa instead of a lumpy Czech gulag inmate.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er posted:

After a couple of years of playing Ark with a dedicated group, it is real nice to hop over to this game where it is a lot more stable, encumbrance with your mount is way less of a pain to manage, and you can make about forty different versions of Dave Navarro or Jason Momoa instead of a lumpy Czech gulag inmate.

Yeah I tried Ark yesterday and no. It’s just Conan with Dinosaurs, right?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah I tried Ark yesterday and no. It’s just Conan with Dinosaurs, right?

Ark's been around a lot longer. It's more appropriate to say that Conan is just Ark with cleaner code and a Conan total conversion.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er posted:

Ark's been around a lot longer. It's more appropriate to say that Conan is just Ark with cleaner code and a Conan total conversion.

Touché. I'll also add a better interface too.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfbMGb3-6U

Saw this leak early and I assume it’s the announcement that was going to be posted Tuesday.

Sorcery! Battle Pass! New Perks!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Oh good, more kinds of monetization.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't even think either of the servers we had are still online.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I can try and throw my exiled lands server back up when 3.0 hits. I've got a small castle thing with a bunch of t4 thralls in it and I think I had a map room at every obelisk? I wonder if we'll have to restart servers since they're changing so much though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Glock9, a popular 7 Days to Die youtuber just released episode 1 of a Conan Exiles series if anyone is interested.

I haven't thought about this game in a lot of years, but who knows, maybe I'll hop back in for a while and see what's changed, although looks like I may have to spend some money to get up to date all all the junk they've added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

The sorcery is a free update. So you can try most of the new stuff for free.