Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So it turns out that this INSANELY racist old lady:]

.... had been wandering around screaming threats and abuse at several Asian people yesterday]

I would be satisfied if the internet came down on this person, but it looks like ostracizing racists would be a full time job, and this lady doesn't seem like she has social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I would be satisfied if the internet came down on this person, but it looks like ostracizing racists would be a full time job, and this lady doesn't seem like she has social media.

Looks like she's already been identified, and someone recognised her from a similar incident last year. Apparently she's mentally ill and she keeps going off her meds.

Edit: actually I'm going to remove that link because there's been tons of cases where people were identified incorrectly and I don't fully trust these guys

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 12, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was always thankful for managers whose stance was “I’m gonna back you up.” They were always head and shoulders above the ones who would side w the customers.

I feel like 90% of managers will try to appease the customer in public, and then when she's gone be like 'yeah bitch was crazy' to the employee. This goes for customer-contact white collar office jobs as well.

Which I guess is hypocritical and not ideal, but better than taking her at her word and admonishing you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It has always been the equivalent of security theatre but for customer complaints, that's how it works

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yeah, in my experience your job as the frontline employee is to stick to the policy, and your immediate supervisor's job is to prevent the complaint from being escalated any further - which means you eat tons of poo poo enforcing the policy, and then your sup mostly ends up giving the customer what they want.

I've seen people who decided to skip the bullshit and just give the customer what they want without the sup, and that usually gets them in trouble.

So it's like if you're a customer who takes "no," for an answer, you get ground down, but if you're a Karen who constantly complains and asks for a supervisor/manager, you get what you want. From a Darwinian standpoint, only the Karen's are fit to survive, because :capitalism:

Capitalism creates the environment where Karens thrive, and therefore capitalism proliferates Karens. However, if humanity were to become nothing but Karens, then humanity would die off, like an infection that kills its host.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am the meek, conflict-averse sort of goon, so that just seems like an incredibly tiring, stressful mindset to have. I'm only going to say something if they really hosed up, and then if you're in the right 98% of the time there is no need to speak to a higher-up.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When I was younger I got to work in an office in which the office manager made it extremely explicit that if someone called and was yelling, carrying on, or generally being a dick you put them on hold and wait for them to hang up. If they call back you just do that again. It...uh...it wasn't a good office.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, but how do you make yourself feel better than others around you?!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

When I was younger I got to work in an office in which the office manager made it extremely explicit that if someone called and was yelling, carrying on, or generally being a dick you put them on hold and wait for them to hang up. If they call back you just do that again. It...uh...it wasn't a good office.

We weren't allowed to do that except in extreme cases. I just grunted non-committally every now and then, and if they insisted on speaking to a manager I was relieved, if anything. I was happy to be rid of that person and I knew there wouldn't be serious consequences for me.

I found that, usually, the angrier they were, the less justified their complaints were, and in most cases it was clearly to cover for their own incompetence (often because they had their manager breathing down their necks).

Conversely, the people with legitimate complaints, where we really did gently caress up as a company, more often than not were professional about it. Sometimes very stressed out, yes, but generally focused on finding a solution instead of getting angry and trying to apportion blame. You could be sure that they would bring it up during the next contract renegotiation, but honestly, most of the time they were justified in so. I much preferred working with these people - you had to be 'on your guard' in the sense that they expected and demanded quality, but they were focused on results instead of shifting blame and backstabbing.

cnut
May 3, 2016

1redflag posted:

Yea, but how do you make yourself feel better than others around you?!

:fap:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I worked in a call center for AT&T (literally one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had, but at least we had a union) and there was a $5/5min rule; if the customer asks for a credit of less than $5 and it will take more than 5minutes to resolve, just give them the credit immediately without further discussion. People would call in and wait on hold for 30+ minutes about a 10cent long distance charge they didn’t recognize (probably their young child just picked up the phone and started pressing buttons then hung the phone up). It was a godsend to just hear some dude frothing and just be like “sure sir, I’ll credit your account right away, anything else today? Great! Well I’m happy I could be of service.” *click*

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

1redflag posted:

I worked in a call center for AT&T (literally one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had, but at least we had a union) and there was a $5/5min rule; if the customer asks for a credit of less than $5 and it will take more than 5minutes to resolve, just give them the credit immediately without further discussion.

I like that, it makes a ruthless sort of sense. The place I worked would gladly have us tie up the phone for 20+ minutes over a $1.50 late fee. :jerkbag:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like 90% of managers will try to appease the customer in public, and then when she's gone be like 'yeah bitch was crazy' to the employee. This goes for customer-contact white collar office jobs as well.

Which I guess is hypocritical and not ideal, but better than taking her at her word and admonishing you.
My favorite STDH (it probably happened somewhere but I'm skeptical) from online retail discussions is the manager who will "fire" the employee on the spot. The employee knows it's a ruse and takes a break or works in the back for a while. If the customer feels bad and backpedals they are a good customer having a bad day and they should be given a break. If it spurs them on or validates them they are a bad customer and shouldn't get poo poo.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

My favorite STDH (it probably happened somewhere but I'm skeptical) from online retail discussions is the manager who will "fire" the employee on the spot. The employee knows it's a ruse and takes a break or works in the back for a while. If the customer feels bad and backpedals they are a good customer having a bad day and they should be given a break. If it spurs them on or validates them they are a bad customer and shouldn't get poo poo.

This would happen all the time at my old job. We would even sometimes follow up with the customer by phone. Let them know that after they got me fired, my mother died because I lost my insurance and that I had since gone missing

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
https://twitter.com/skenigsberg/status/1271478823545159680?s=20

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Hell yeah

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Stop trying to be cool, MOM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This feels like the cursed monkey paw wish solution for wishing that Harry Potter themed protest signs would go away.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly it’s a good thing. Using your white privilege as the main axis for your support is the most anyone can really ask of white allies.

Like when that white teenage girl bodyblocked the cops from touching her black friend, your white Karen energies are the only thing black protesters cannot manifest on their own.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

This feels like the cursed monkey paw wish solution for wishing that Harry Potter themed protest signs would go away.

Oh man that ended badly.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

sometimes u need the right tool for the job

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly it’s a good thing. Using your white privilege as the main axis for your support is the most anyone can really ask of white allies.

Like when that white teenage girl bodyblocked the cops from touching her black friend, your white Karen energies are the only thing black protesters cannot manifest on their own.

Also this old guy:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. It's true that some of the cops might potentially hesitate 0.5 seconds before shooting him point blank in the forehead, giving the others more time to seek cover

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ran into a male Karen yesterday. Was doing some store visits with a couple coworkers (both women) for my job - we were finishing up and one of them wanted to grab a few groceries so she got in the line. She forgot something so called me over and asked if I could hold her place in line. The guy behind immediately ''sighed" but didn't say poo poo to me. My coworker gets back and the guy starts grumbling under his breath "once you're in line you're in line" and generally just being foul. My coworker, given she works for the god damned store, wants to defuse the situation and offers to let the guy go ahead of her. He just stares her down like she's mocking him but she's really just letting him go ahead.

My other coworker and I at that point go wait outside, and when the lady in line comes out she's nearly in tears. This guy has essentially been harassing her the entire duration, while also casually chatting up the (man) behind him about potato chip flavours. At the end of her transaction she says to the guy 'have a nice day' and he calls her a oval office in front of everyone. He comes out of the store as she's finishing telling this story and I'm just giving him death stares - I think one reason there are fewer male karens is only because males know if they lip off they'll get hit - this guy was lucky I was working. He calls out the usual poo poo and I yell back 'buddy call your mom and tell her you called a woman the C word at the grocery store today see what she thinks of you" and his response was 'she's not a WOMAN. she's a BITCH!'

it was pretty rough but interesting to see a male karen in the wild. much less appeal to authority, much more misogyny, but the same main attribute of just operating in a totally different world space.

edit: and to clarify, this guy did not lose a second of time due to my holding her spot in line, nor did the line even move. he was just a piece of poo poo.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2020

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also this old guy:

Except if you look at the numbers the cops also love to shoot white guys

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

420 20 posted:

Except if you look at the numbers the cops also love to shoot white guys

I feel like this guy is well aware of that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The Walrus posted:

ran into a male Karen yesterday.

I'd feel better calling this guy an rear end in a top hat. Karen seems too nice.

You know the older I get, the less afraid I am to call people out on their overreactions to minor first world inconveniences. People shouldn't be allowed to have unjustified tantrums in public.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/jrgdrawing/status/1272392279219671041

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, someone went Karen in response to the cool Karen tweet.
https://twitter.com/KatsCadenza/status/1272208218454814720

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Obviously, she works for Oogie Boogie.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you didn't see it yet the ny times did a story about the Central Park Karen and the bird watcher she called the cops on and it's pretty amazing because it's just the most absolute dragging of a person in a national newspaper

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/nyregion/central-park-amy-cooper-christian-racism.html

quote:

“From what I saw, she was very devoted to her animals,” said Maria Meade, 60, who lives in a nearby building. “The only thing I’ll tell you is she never spoke directly to a person. She always spoke through her dog, and in a baby voice. It was really bizarre.”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This does seem like a really Karen thing to do

quote:

“From what I saw, she was very devoted to her animals,” said Maria Meade, 60, who lives in a nearby building. “The only thing I’ll tell you is she never spoke directly to a person. She always spoke through her dog, and in a baby voice. It was really bizarre.”

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
which cast member of Friends was the most Karen-ish

I think it was Monica but with Rachel as a close second. Phoebe is the furthest from being a Karen (behind all the guys)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My girlfriend is severely emotionally repressed due to abusive parents and she cannot express emotions except through her dog. The entire first year we dated when I would say “I love you” she would clam up for a second and then go “Andy loves you too” because she never told another human she loved them before. If we had a big fight she would go “You Made Andy Cry!!!!”. It is bizarre, but after meeting members of her family the complete picture is simply that her family was so devoid of emotional love that she just didn’t have any emotional development until she moved out and rescued a puppy, so the dog is her entire emotional experience.

So yes that poo poo sounds totally crazy, but not so crazy that I haven’t seen it with my own eyes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hammerite posted:

which cast member of Friends was the most Karen-ish

I think it was Monica but with Rachel as a close second. Phoebe is the furthest from being a Karen (behind all the guys)

Ross first.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

My girlfriend is severely emotionally repressed due to abusive parents and she cannot express emotions except through her dog. The entire first year we dated when I would say “I love you” she would clam up for a second and then go “Andy loves you too” because she never told another human she loved them before. If we had a big fight she would go “You Made Andy Cry!!!!”. It is bizarre, but after meeting members of her family the complete picture is simply that her family was so devoid of emotional love that she just didn’t have any emotional development until she moved out and rescued a puppy, so the dog is her entire emotional experience.

So yes that poo poo sounds totally crazy, but not so crazy that I haven’t seen it with my own eyes.

Now I feel bad for proclaiming it to be a Karen thing, I'm sure your girlfriend is a wonderful person, messed up (through no fault of her own) as she is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bust Rodd posted:

My girlfriend is severely emotionally repressed due to abusive parents and she cannot express emotions except through her dog.

Between that, the anger management issues, the whack relationship with a guy who was :redflag: even when he was lying, and everything else, I did have the thought that this maybe sounds like someone who has a history of abuse or mutually abusive relationships.

But she could also afford a really good therapist, so my potential sympathy for a tragic backstory is pretty limited.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean a lot of white people with anger management issues manage to go their entire lives without threatening a black guy with death by cops, and like you said this woman can afford the help.

A really HUGE part of living as a Karen is your total unwillingness to see yourself as the constant in your own life, or as the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Klyith posted:

If you didn't see it yet the ny times did a story about the Central Park Karen and the bird watcher she called the cops on and it's pretty amazing because it's just the most absolute dragging of a person in a national newspaper

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/nyregion/central-park-amy-cooper-christian-racism.html

Phlegmish posted:

This does seem like a really Karen thing to do

Can someone explain to me... how? I can't seem to brain today, so maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm picturing her doing some kind of ventriloquism routine with her dog, and that can't be right, can it?