Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
No seriously, this necromancer really likes his T+A

Welcome to Iratus: Lord of the Dead

This game is a roguelike Darkest Dungeon like where you get to play as the bad guy! It has a lot of depth and, while comparisons to Darkest Dungeon will rightfully be made, it has its own mechanics and stands on its own right. The narrator isn't quite as suave as the ancestor - but luckily our necromancer doesn't take himself too seriously either. Plus there's lots of cleavage, more than you ever thought could be worked into an army of undead.

Iratus posted:

You know technically that isn't my fault. I reanimate the flesh I am given.

PLATFORMS

STEAM :pcgaming:
Currently on sale for 16.49, normally 25.00.
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1253368872645857281

Iratus posted:

Flesh is my currency, blood my investments. Bones too... I need bones..... and rags. Shut up.
GAMEPLAY

Iratus works very, very, VERY similarly to darkest dungeon, with a turn-based combat system consisting of your 4 dudes versus the other dudes. If you've ever played Darkest Dungeon you won't need much help at all. Each minion has its own suite of powers with varying effects. Every minion has 5 basic abilities and 1 special abilities which requires wrath to use. Wrath is generated by dealing damage to the opponents. Iratus himself can also get involved in the combat, having spells which he can cast for other fun effects depending on which talents you've given to him. Some can debuff, buff, heal, or straight up damage the opponents. Each spell costs Mana to use which is generated between battles or through pickups / quests, etc. There is also a stress system, except its opponents YOU will be stressing out. Stress gives them a whole medley of negative effects, with a chance to outright kill them with a heart attack if their stress reaches 0.

The objective is simply to defeat the opponents and work your way though the multiple levels of the labyrinth that Iratus was woken from. You get to choose which RNG path you take, where you will encounter battles, cultists, sacrificial altars, ancient coffins, health refills, and all manner of events which can give you wondrous items or crush you with an elite squad of dwarven flamethrowers.

Iratus posted:

1000 years of evolution and this is the best you can.... oh poo poo that's a flamethrower. poo poo poo poo poo poo.

THE CHAMBER OF IRATUS

Iratus posted:

No cover fee for girls, obviously.
Iratus's Chamber is the main hub for the game, containing all of your talents, items, minion groups, and everything else you need to prepare for the coming battles.
    Talents Select Iratus talents here

Alchemy Here you can create new items, create new parts, and break parts down for mana and Vigor

Creation EZ Bake oven for minions, combine select parts to make new minions. All parts have rarity levels which increase minion stat points for allocation. You can always upgrade minion parts after they have been created too.

Artifacts Equipment for Iratus himself which causes varied effects within the battles. These vary from minion buffs, to enemy debuffs and post-battle rewards. There are 4 equipment slots for artifacts and one for one-time-use artifacts.

Humonarium A beastiary for... you know. Humans.

Dungeon Map Accesses the Dungeon

Minion Strike Groups All of Iratus's minions go here, there are four battle squads down below to loadout. Every minion has their own stat points and ability point allocation which increases with their level and gear. Every increased part quality grants you extra stat points, and every minion has two equipment slots to equip items. This has some seriously deep customization and wild build implications.

The Graveyard Accesses the Graveyard

THE GRAVEYARD

Iratus posted:

The lake is closed until we get the algae bloom cleared up. Stupid infested.....

The graveyard is similar to the DD town hub, each building needs to be upgraded and staffed with particular minions. Upgrades take both Digger's Souls and a specific minion to do.
    Library -Grants extra experience to Iratus every victory

Obelisk -Gives extra digger's souls after every victory

Abode of Wrath -Gives bonus starting Wrath every battle

Dead Lake -Gives a chance to find a new artifact after every victory

Excavation -Gives a chance to find a new part after every victory

Mortuary -Heals a minion after every victory

Iratus Statue -Provides bonus mana after every victory

Arena -Provides EXP to every minion you place inside after every victory. (Note: Not the staff minions) This lets you keep backup minions ready to go - not that it's hard to make new ones.

MEDIA
https://twitter.com/humble/status/1253458910637416456

Is this harder than Darkest Dungeon?

Iratus has 4 difficulty levels - I am still working things out myself but overall my impression is that on the lower difficulty settings it's much easier - on the higher it's likely comparable or worse on the highest. I found my runs to go pretty smooth until I hit a Floor 2 Dwarf group that just steamrolls me. I think if you liked DD at all, you will probably enjoy Iratus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU