Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

What?
Every Saturday and Wednesday evening when Digimon Adventure: would air (7.30pm PST / 3.30am Sunday/Thursday BST) watch two episodes Digimon Universe: App Monsters.
Appmon comes in at 52 episodes making for a 13 week simulwatch which should, with any luck, be plenty to fill the gap before Digimon Adventure: comes back.

No, seriously, What?
Appmon is an alternative universe take on Digimon that ran on television during the latter half of Digimon Adventure Tri's run in theaters and takes its cues on a modernised (circa 2016) concept of the internet as it becomes more interconnnected with everyday life via mobile phones and other devices.

Why?
The ongoing pandemic has caused a state of emergency in Japan leading Toei to put all their shows, including Digimon Adventure:, on indefinite hiatus. To fill this gap, I proposed on the Digimon thread that we do a simulwatch of Digimon Universe: Appmon because it had something of a reputation as a critical darling in the Digimon Thread.

How?
Appmon is freely available on Crunchyroll in most countries that Crunchyroll operates in which is to say just about everywhere except Japan itself.

When?
The simulwatch starts on Saturday 25th of April and ends on Wednesday 22nd of July.

Spoilers?
For the benefit for those coming in fresh, please mark your spoilers if they're about stuff that's ahead of the watch.
(Thread Title) Congrats if you get the Digimon Tamers / Fox Kids refrence with the title.

Links
The Show

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
23 July (Final)
Episode 51 - The Artificial Intelligence's Dream

quote:

More and more people are bathed in Leviathan's light, and turned into apps. Leviathan has also consumed the God Appmon to install them into himself. Can he be stopped?!,
Episode 52 - Our Singularity

quote:

It's finally time for the showdown with Leviathan, and to show him Haru and Gatchmon's buddy power! The App Drivers will all stand up to ensure humanity's future!,

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 23, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This post is left blank

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This post is left blank

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So far this has been a bit on the nose- the girl out protagonist is crushing on is named Ai, but I really do like the character designs and Yujin seems like a good bro!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
The AR Fields remind me of the Digital space in the new Adventure : series which is kind of a neat precursor.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^yeah agreed.

Also oh no, Yujin....might be evil? A spy? Who knows...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Curse lacking common sense to not blindly follow navigation apps! :argh:

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Gatchmon's honest excitement about the world around him is just so enjoyable (considering he's been living in the web up until this point)

As for Yujin, gotta have that "what happens next" scenario since the fight kinda wrapped up really quickly.

(On a personal note, I've known far too many people who go by the GPS only and have gotten horribly lost so it brought me a good laugh)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So far the sea motif for the dark web has been pretty well realized- A villain named Leviathan, and we say Gatchmon nearly drown in the first ep trying to get out of the sea.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The apps so far are very realistic to consider people having on their phones as well, which is a nice touch. I can't imagine that they'll all be like that but it's a good start.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Okay the caméramon gag is pretty good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For some reason this time, the link led to a fusion? Either way it's a good way to keep things fresh and unpredictable, while making it feel like our protagonist is making progress and powering up.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Ahaha, yes that was a great gag. Haru catches on very quickly for an episode 2 protagonist (in-training) too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also I forgot to say it at the end of the last episode, but the Appmon Datalab segments with the cartoon drawn puppets is pretty fun. Also a nice, soothing ED to wind you down after an exciting episode. Feels nice.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this is actually a show in my toxx this year so i suppose i'll try to maintain a schedule along the lines of this simul and see how it goes

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The art direction in the show seems pretty familiar to me (edit, it's the Character Designer from Gundam Build Fighters/Try so that'd be why) and it's a nice style so far. Different from the previous series but distinct enough to be a pleasant watch. The first 12-13 episodes for Digimon series tend to be a slow ramp up to the action so I'm interested to see where things go from here. Excited to be watching with you all!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, pretty good introduction to things, I think.

Yes, it's got its snagging but I can see how this ended up being a missed classic.

I get why they went with the Kamen Rider style singing digivice App Driver but it's still annoying. I really hope, absent of knocking if off completely, they stop doing it with summoning buddy Appmon sooner rather than later.

Thematically, I appreciate the idea of Haru being challenged on his protagonist status due to his choice in clothing and his goggles and how characters are already noticing him starting to act more confident in episode 2.

On the battling side of things it's ok but I was feeling that it was a bit fomulaic with the whole searching for weakness thing. Haru's involvement is appreciated but I feel that having him literally search for it on a massive projected keyboard is going to get old fast. As a side there's a lot of vomiting (blood) shots that they can get away with via the medium of it being Digimon doing it.

Characters are good so far. The scoobies are at worst inoffensive and Yuujin was suspiciously too ‘perfect’ even before we found out he is apparently a snatcher.

The Appmon themselves are great. Caméramon's bit with the badly done selfie (along with him insisting on his name being pronounced right) was hilarious.

So all in all its looking good and I hope the initial "Thing goes wrong, Haru and Gatchmon do a Battle Network to fix it" arc is done with quickly.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, I bet they fused because of app synergy. I mean, Google Maps does use Google, after all.

Glad Haru got over his "I'm not a protagonist!" thing, that'd get tiresome quickly.

I wanna see this music Appmon in the OP, I love his design.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Glad Haru got over his "I'm not a protagonist!" thing, that'd get tiresome quickly.
Yeah but I wonder if, given Camèramon’s snooping in ep 1, if he and Yujin (if he’s in on it) aren’t trying to butter Haru up, have his sense of pride get to his head and lead Gachmon to undergo a dark digivolution to wreck shop or something.

Yuujin’s bit about red clothes and goggles, which are stereotypical and base qualities of being a protagonist (All Digimon leads wear goggles and all power rangers wear their colours) and his later comments about protagonists being ‘nice guys’ sounded a bit off. It was like he was blowing smoke up Haru.

Seiyal posted:

The art direction in the show seems pretty familiar to me (edit, it's the Character Designer from Gundam Build Fighters/Try so that'd be why) and it's a nice style so far.

See, Haru reminded me of Gundam Age’s MC and that, alongside Tri’s farting off into complete irrelevance at the time, made me bounce off the first time around.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 26, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Almost forgot about this. So far, seems alright. The protagonist thing is a bit on the weird side, but there's enough creativity and new ideas that I'm into it so far.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bless this bastard child of a Scopedog and a Gremlin.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next Episode - Wednesday 29th April

Episode 3 : The Character I Leveled Up is Naked?! Ropuremon's School Dungeon!

quote:

A popular smartphone RPG's data is getting erased, so that players' hard-leveled characters end up in their birthday suits! Meanwhile, interfaces across the city are starting to act like they're part of the game!
Episode 4 : I'll Get You and Your Disguise Too! Caméramon's Halloween Scandal!

quote:

Halloween is in town! While Haru is busy reading, Gatchmon heads out on his own. What's with the picture that gets sent to Haru's smartphone? What's going on in the city?!!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just here for Cameramon

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Roth posted:

I'm just here for Cameramon

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 29, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like "Haru and Gatchmon solve a tech-related problem" is going to stay the plot for at least a bit longer. I hope it picks up soon.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Looks like "Haru and Gatchmon solve a tech-related problem" is going to stay the plot for at least a bit longer. I hope it picks up soon.

Honestly, in some regards, I'm okay with a bit longer starter arc with just Haru and Gatchmon. Most other Digimon shows have so many characters to deal with when they start out (Adventure basically had 14 starter characters with the kids + mons alone!) that I'm okay with it being Haru + Gatchmon and a handful of other characters. Haru's slowly gaining points in his "trying to become a protagonist" character and Gatchmon's character could use some fleshing out besides "GATCH CLAAAAAAW". So if these next couple of episodes allows them to get some development before the spotlight gets snatched away, I'm cool with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm fine with a lull in the larger plot so long as they spin good smaller stories out of it...which i only bring up because i feel like the two episodes are kinda standing on opposite sides of that line. accidentally watched the eps yesterday but kept my thoughts on hand

ep3 - the bit showing appmon have a whole societal structure like ours was fun, whether it actually holds up or is just a one-off. the conclusion just feels particularly rushed and pat, and all of a sudden we have special plot important appmon with no lead-in. that they don't even capitalize on that plot momentum for ep4 just makes it weirder to me

ep4 - there's a feeling to this episode that the conflict should otherwise come a bit further into the story so haru and gatchmon have both clashed and bonded a bit more, but aside from that i enjoyed it. classic stuff of people thinking the cute little 'mon is a cute animal/kid/etc, and it was nice to see haru completely brush off cameramon's fake hostage ploy. scorpmon has a neat gimmick for a fight, even down to his last ditch horn-gun. the ties to leviathan in this episode feel handled better than introducing seven codes in the last one, and well mienumon is voiced by shiori izawa so that's a major soft spot. setting up leviathan-aligned appmon as villains rather than another kid wasn't my first expectation

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What got me is that there seems to be Leviathan backed humans (as in the men in black) which I'm pretty sure is new ground for Digimon in terms for (non digidestended) humans working for Digimon based badguys.

Episode 3's fight was fair enough, it was mostly used to establish some more of the world's ground rules. That said, I liked the touch of Leviathan's phone being present when Gatchmon's stutter happened.

Episode 4's was better for sure and opens up a few more questions. I appreciated the touching on the abundance of CC cameras without going into some black mirror diatribe about it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 30, 2020

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Here, please have these neat new form. You can't use it again for a bit. That's... rather clever for Digimon. Normally you'd be spamming it out for awhile but in-story reasons are very unique to see.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

An actual real-life application of Gatchmon's powers!

.... how to get to a game walkthrough.

Edit - double post, sorry!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Double posts are fine! Don't think too much about things, the point of the thread is to.just enjoy the show and chat about it.

With that said I got busy at the last moment so I had to take a rain check, but I'll catch up for next time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Episode three felt... weird? The back half was just wading through plot vomit, but I do like how the fight with Ropuremon ended. Episode four was good, though, even if the search-powers kinda end up making every fight feel extremely one-dimensional. (Haru has to think of the right thing to search, which is usually pretty obvious.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the building blocks are there though, that his search capabilities become super charged to more esoteric things like camera blindspots rather than solutions that the surface internet search should give him.

I'm kinda hoping his Ultimate and Mega forms get more and more esoteric search results that techincaly could be found on the 'net with some poking.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 30, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next Episode - Saturday 2nd May

Episode 5 : A Big Bang Punch Straight to Your Heart! Eri's an Appmon Idol!

quote:

Haru assumed he had the only App Drive in the world, but then he sees one fall out of newcomer idol Karan Eri's bag! They go to the TV studio to find out the truth, but security is strict! What's the plan, Haru?!
Episode 6 : The Ultimate Restaurant Report! Dining App Perorimon!

quote:

Eri gets a gig as a restaurant reviewer, but it turns out she's not very good at it! For advice, she seeks out a mysterious figure behind a popular food review app, but...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pleeeease let her be a cool Mimi type. :pray:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eri is cooler than Mimi.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The thumbnails give off some real Nokia energy.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The episode's a bit off model from the last one, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the battle last episode.

It feels like Haru and Gatchmon are sort of forced by circumstance to sit back here but Eri and Dokamon do deserve to show their stuff. (edit - spoke too soon)

As for the 2nd episode, it's a clever way to connect the Mon of the Day (or two) with something Eri might need to do. It's been a fairly easy ramp up so far with both of our known Mons getting their current plot armor but it'll be interesting to see how that affects things in the next set of episodes. The third App Drive holder is probably, just going by the title, going to be the most likely to be "you like or you don't like" them.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eri’s fun but I get the nasty feeling that the distinction between Idol Eri and Actual Person Eri will not persist long. Also her thing with Dokamon (Which to say; hold a living being in a bag in another bag in yet another bag and not noticing he was anywhere near her during her getting her App Drive) is a little concerning. Maybe it'll be picked up or him being her unconditional groopie is just a "funny" running gag like Mr Satan: The Cabage Man. I'm kinda hoping the former.

That said I appreciate how her app drive works and, as a long time FF 6 stan, anything that reminds me of the blitz techs is aok in my book.

Dokamon’s champion form is fun too, could have been too easy to make it a Ryu style fighter so I appreciate the swerve.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 3, 2020