Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

What?
Every Saturday and Wednesday evening when Digimon Adventure: would air (7.30pm PST / 3.30am Sunday/Thursday BST) watch two episodes Digimon Universe: App Monsters.
Appmon comes in at 52 episodes making for a 13 week simulwatch which should, with any luck, be plenty to fill the gap before Digimon Adventure: comes back.

No, seriously, What?
Appmon is an alternative universe take on Digimon that ran on television during the latter half of Digimon Adventure Tri's run in theaters and takes its cues on a modernised (circa 2016) concept of the internet as it becomes more interconnnected with everyday life via mobile phones and other devices.

Why?
The ongoing pandemic has caused a state of emergency in Japan leading Toei to put all their shows, including Digimon Adventure:, on indefinite hiatus. To fill this gap, I proposed on the Digimon thread that we do a simulwatch of Digimon Universe: Appmon because it had something of a reputation as a critical darling in the Digimon Thread.

How?
Appmon is freely available on Crunchyroll in most countries that Crunchyroll operates in which is to say just about everywhere except Japan itself.

When?
The simulwatch starts on Saturday 25th of April and ends on Wednesday 22nd of July.

Spoilers?
For the benefit for those coming in fresh, please mark your spoilers if they're about stuff that's ahead of the watch.
(Thread Title) Congrats if you get the Digimon Tamers / Fox Kids refrence with the title.

Links
The Show

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
23 July (Final)
Episode 51 - The Artificial Intelligence's Dream

quote:

More and more people are bathed in Leviathan's light, and turned into apps. Leviathan has also consumed the God Appmon to install them into himself. Can he be stopped?!,
Episode 52 - Our Singularity

quote:

It's finally time for the showdown with Leviathan, and to show him Haru and Gatchmon's buddy power! The App Drivers will all stand up to ensure humanity's future!,

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 23, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This post is left blank

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This post is left blank

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, pretty good introduction to things, I think.

Yes, it's got its snagging but I can see how this ended up being a missed classic.

I get why they went with the Kamen Rider style singing digivice App Driver but it's still annoying. I really hope, absent of knocking if off completely, they stop doing it with summoning buddy Appmon sooner rather than later.

Thematically, I appreciate the idea of Haru being challenged on his protagonist status due to his choice in clothing and his goggles and how characters are already noticing him starting to act more confident in episode 2.

On the battling side of things it's ok but I was feeling that it was a bit fomulaic with the whole searching for weakness thing. Haru's involvement is appreciated but I feel that having him literally search for it on a massive projected keyboard is going to get old fast. As a side there's a lot of vomiting (blood) shots that they can get away with via the medium of it being Digimon doing it.

Characters are good so far. The scoobies are at worst inoffensive and Yuujin was suspiciously too ‘perfect’ even before we found out he is apparently a snatcher.

The Appmon themselves are great. Caméramon's bit with the badly done selfie (along with him insisting on his name being pronounced right) was hilarious.

So all in all its looking good and I hope the initial "Thing goes wrong, Haru and Gatchmon do a Battle Network to fix it" arc is done with quickly.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Glad Haru got over his "I'm not a protagonist!" thing, that'd get tiresome quickly.
Yeah but I wonder if, given Camèramon’s snooping in ep 1, if he and Yujin (if he’s in on it) aren’t trying to butter Haru up, have his sense of pride get to his head and lead Gachmon to undergo a dark digivolution to wreck shop or something.

Yuujin’s bit about red clothes and goggles, which are stereotypical and base qualities of being a protagonist (All Digimon leads wear goggles and all power rangers wear their colours) and his later comments about protagonists being ‘nice guys’ sounded a bit off. It was like he was blowing smoke up Haru.

Seiyal posted:

The art direction in the show seems pretty familiar to me (edit, it's the Character Designer from Gundam Build Fighters/Try so that'd be why) and it's a nice style so far.

See, Haru reminded me of Gundam Age’s MC and that, alongside Tri’s farting off into complete irrelevance at the time, made me bounce off the first time around.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 26, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bless this bastard child of a Scopedog and a Gremlin.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next Episode - Wednesday 29th April

Episode 3 : The Character I Leveled Up is Naked?! Ropuremon's School Dungeon!

quote:

A popular smartphone RPG's data is getting erased, so that players' hard-leveled characters end up in their birthday suits! Meanwhile, interfaces across the city are starting to act like they're part of the game!
Episode 4 : I'll Get You and Your Disguise Too! Caméramon's Halloween Scandal!

quote:

Halloween is in town! While Haru is busy reading, Gatchmon heads out on his own. What's with the picture that gets sent to Haru's smartphone? What's going on in the city?!!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 29, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Roth posted:

I'm just here for Cameramon

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 29, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What got me is that there seems to be Leviathan backed humans (as in the men in black) which I'm pretty sure is new ground for Digimon in terms for (non digidestended) humans working for Digimon based badguys.

Episode 3's fight was fair enough, it was mostly used to establish some more of the world's ground rules. That said, I liked the touch of Leviathan's phone being present when Gatchmon's stutter happened.

Episode 4's was better for sure and opens up a few more questions. I appreciated the touching on the abundance of CC cameras without going into some black mirror diatribe about it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 30, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the building blocks are there though, that his search capabilities become super charged to more esoteric things like camera blindspots rather than solutions that the surface internet search should give him.

I'm kinda hoping his Ultimate and Mega forms get more and more esoteric search results that techincaly could be found on the 'net with some poking.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 30, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next Episode - Saturday 2nd May

Episode 5 : A Big Bang Punch Straight to Your Heart! Eri's an Appmon Idol!

quote:

Haru assumed he had the only App Drive in the world, but then he sees one fall out of newcomer idol Karan Eri's bag! They go to the TV studio to find out the truth, but security is strict! What's the plan, Haru?!
Episode 6 : The Ultimate Restaurant Report! Dining App Perorimon!

quote:

Eri gets a gig as a restaurant reviewer, but it turns out she's not very good at it! For advice, she seeks out a mysterious figure behind a popular food review app, but...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The thumbnails give off some real Nokia energy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eri’s fun but I get the nasty feeling that the distinction between Idol Eri and Actual Person Eri will not persist long. Also her thing with Dokamon (Which to say; hold a living being in a bag in another bag in yet another bag and not noticing he was anywhere near her during her getting her App Drive) is a little concerning. Maybe it'll be picked up or him being her unconditional groopie is just a "funny" running gag like Mr Satan: The Cabage Man. I'm kinda hoping the former.

That said I appreciate how her app drive works and, as a long time FF 6 stan, anything that reminds me of the blitz techs is aok in my book.

Dokamon’s champion form is fun too, could have been too easy to make it a Ryu style fighter so I appreciate the swerve.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 3, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Wednesday 06th May

Episode 7 : The Third App Drive! Torajiro is an AppTuber!

quote:

Asuka Torajiro, AKA Astora, is a popular AppTuber on a video streaming site. But is that... an App Drive appearing in one of his funny videos? Could he be an App Driver too?
Episode 8 : A So Not Groovy Disaster?! Astora's Funny Video Plan!

quote:

A powerful rival to Astora appears! Astora's own funny videos start getting lots of dislikes... which leads to a fight with Musimon?!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Astroa's interesting.

Heck, I just appreciate how there was a amicable agreement between son and father in a setting like his.

Usually it's all 'Grrr, muh family business. Eat tradition, child!' (Sora springs to mind) but here it's presented as Asuka's father being a competent parent who allows a healthy persuit of personal happiness.

Also I appreciate him being a few years everyone's junior as it allows for stupid ideas (the fart thing for example) to have a more natural place to come from and this him and Musimon getting into an extended tiff (As well as Astora letting his App Drive's activation phrase get to him emotionally, like I'm seriously wondering if the badguys don't know those and if they're trying to DemiDevimon that poo poo) feels more natural.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 7, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I agree that Reccomon came out of nowhere and in service of getting Musimon's champion form out there which is a tad annoying. I'm hoping once we're clear of introducing characters that this sort of thing stops.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Happy Piccilo Day, everyone.

Next - Saturday 09th May

Episode 9 : Aim for Number One! Appmon Championship in Cyber Arena!

quote:

It's a grand rally for all the Appmon who've appeared so far! The Appmon ranking tournament begins, featuring... a 100 meter dash, karuta, and a portrait competition?! Who will be declared the ultimate Appmon?!
Episode 10 : The Dream of All Appmon: The Legendary Seven Code Meetup!

quote:

Mailmon arrives with an invitation to the "Seven Code Meetup"! Ropuremon and Gomimon head out with everyone! But doesn't it seem like Mailmon is acting strange...?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 9, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno if poo poo officially getting real in a mansion in the digital world was intentionally a nod to Adventure 01 but I'm gonna say it is and give it a golfclap nonetheless.

I also think this is the first time I've wanted to skip ahead too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Thursday 13th May

Episode 11 - Dive in to the Sea of the 'Net! Follow the Super Hacker, Rei!

quote:

The mysterious hacker Rei and Hackmon appear, and all of Haru's Seven Code Appmon get stolen! They'll have to dive into the sea of the 'net and get them back!

Episode 12 - Fighting Sakusimon Let's Use a Super Applink To Smack Him Right Down!

quote:

The one who saves Haru and the others from Sakushimon's attack is... Rei?! But isn't he an enemy? Rei faces Sakushimon solo to try to retrieve his little brother Hajime! But what does Haru do next?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 14, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, sorry, will add spoilers to the synopsis the future.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Incidently Raidramon is the first appmon that looks, for lack of a better word, Digimon-ish?
Appmon to this point has had its own sort of "Small animal person" estetic (even with evolutions) with Gomimon litteraly just beign a SD Garbagemon.

I mean it's kinda apropo given Hackmon (the species) is in both a Digimon and a Appmon but still.

Also, if I was this show's target audiance I sure as hell would want every bit of merch with a greymon that could hack things with it's sword-key-tail on it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Open admission: I genuinely forgot about (02) Raidramon.

Also Rei drinking energy drinks like he's some cyperpunk protagonist smoking a cig kinda clued me into him being a try hard dork from the off.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 14, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next : Saturday 16th May

In the Darkness of the Grim Dark Future of 2044 (or so), there is only Holiday Specials.

Episode 13 - Christmas Disappeared?! Date Thief Calendamon!

quote:

The dates of December 24th and 25th disappear from smartphone calendars worldwide! Ai is despondent at the thought that the Kashinoki Books Christmas celebration might not go through. But just then, Gatchmon sees something!

Episode 14 - The City-Wide Puzzle Game?! Puzzlemon's Rampage!

quote:

Haru and his friends enjoy writing New Year's resolutions. Meanwhile, out in the city, chaos breaks out when puzzle games start appearing on screen displays! The screens won't work unless you solve the puzzle... what do we do?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 16, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Not much to say episode wise. Besides establishing a base of operations (another Power Rangers'ism?) it was a bit of a filler to take things from 2016 to 2017 (Or, rather, 2044 to 2045).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That theory about the App Drive being voiced by a character is looking likely.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next: Wednesday 20th May

Episode 15 - You See the Whole Future?! The Mysterious Divinator, Tellermon!

quote:

The team visits the fortune-telling app Appmon, Tellermon, to find the location of the next Seven Code Appmon! But when Tellermon is infected with the L-Virus...

Episode 16 - A Message From Across 'Time!' The Truth of the App Drives!

quote:

At last, the secret of the App Drives comes out! The one who called to Haru from the App Drive turns out to be a very unexpected person! And where does a certain picture lead them?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh boy are the MOTW Appmon actors having fun in ep 15 and 16.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh they knew exactly what they were doing with Timemon's design.

Also, is there something i'm missing with Pink Cucumbers?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 23 May

Episode 17 - Eri's Copy-Pasted Everywhere? Restore the Dream Concert!

quote:

The Fujimizaka New Year Festival will feature a guest performance by Karan Eri of Appliyama 470! But Copipemon works some mischief to fill the town with Eri videos! Will the concert to celebrate her new CD be canceled?!,

Episode 18 - Haru and Yujin's Bond. Stop the Rampaging Resshamon!

quote:

L-Corp's newest GPS game is a worldwide hit, and players converge on a seaside park searching for a super rare treasure! Haru and friends try to find it, too, but Resshamon causes a runaway train panic!,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Two points;

1) Now that we have an Appmon that is basicaly the black gear generator, that means, theoreticaly, they can do away with the source of the virus at any point

2) It's kinda intresting to note that, besides Takato, that Yujin is more the sort to be a Digimon series protag than Haru.

Also, kinda getting bored of the "Truely you're an ogre, You're actually an orge, tho" bit, that's getting repetative.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 27th May

Episode 19 - The Sea of the 'Net in Trouble! The 'Time' Has Come: Ultimate App Fusion!

quote:

It's Valentine's Day in the city, but everyone's smartphones are in danger! Updating Waffle OS, the operating system used by 70% of the world's phones, is causing them to freeze up and die...

Episode 20 - Farewell, Astora?! Dreammon's Nightmare!

quote:

Astora's going to train for two years?! While he struggles over whether to pursue his dream as an AppTuber, Dreammon presents him with a choice. Meanwhile, his father fails to return from his daily workout...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
:tviv:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, all it was missing was the Wada Koji('s estate? I think he had passed at that time...) aproved To Ultimate Evolution image song. but this show is gunning to be its own beast so fair play to it.

That said, I do apreciate how a) They've despensed with the obvious re: L Corp and Leviathan (It would blow the mind of the 10 year old kid in Japan whose native language isn't English, tho though) and b) They're turning Leviathan into a more active threat by having Mienumon sabotaging and beating competition to make a presense in the real world. I sort of wish they introduced Waffle sooner in that regard but oh well.

Also, still loving Astora and his father's relationship. His father isn't fanaticaly pushing him to take up the Tea-School poisition full time and in turn he seems to mutually respect, and love, his father. It's an intresting inversion of how Parent- Digi-destened relationships of this type normaly work.

That all said, it would figgure that the series with the Half Brittish Digi-Destended would be absolutely shuned by Toei dub wise :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It really does have that Tai and Greymon running towards Error Network Etemon feel to it don'it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

There's a bit of that, but for me it's mostly that Omegamon feel of having to take down thousands of targets in seconds to save the day

Oh of course, good point on that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Saturday 30th May

Episode 21 - The Road to be Top Idol! Coachmon's Brutal Training!

quote:

Eri wants to become one of the selected members of Appliyama 470! To pass the audition, she undergoes strict training under Coachmon's tutelage! But is Coachmon secretly working for Leviathan?!

Episode 22 - Share Your Power With Me. The Meeting of Rei and Hackmon.

quote:

Two years ago, Rei was spending sleepless hours searching for his brother trapped in the sea of the 'net. But just as he caught Leviathan's trail, he ended up in danger of being hacked himself! Just then... Hackmon appeared!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 30, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Getting some real "Senku got divorced" energy from Coachmon up and out breaking rank with Leviathan like that and oh boy is Oujamon the Leomon by way of Ultimate Muscle I never knew I wanted.

That said the series composition doesn't quite sit right. It feels like its rushing though backstory arcs like this. Also, why is every second or so Appmon a Stand?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 03 June

Adventure : is due to restart (that is to say at episode one) this weekend and just in time for the party to get crazy.
Might add it to the weekend part of the Simulwatch as one episode in that this week is a clip show so we'll see.

Episode 23 - Take Back the Seven Code Appmon! Ultimate Versus Ultimate!

quote:

The team can't reach the deep web until they take back Weatherdramon! As they race to retrieve the stolen chip from Mienumon, she too undergoes an App Fusion with an Ultimate Appmon!

Episode 24 - The Massive Cometmon's Attack?! Open the Door, Dantemon!

quote:

It's time to put the Seven Code Chips into the Seven Code Pad and summon Dantemon! But what's that thing coming down from the sky?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dantemon is easily the most bonkers thing I think I've seen this franchise pull off.

And that's a franchise with Masaru 'Punch Mon' Daimon in it.