Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I tried again. Still working out how to make them look pretty. Tastes pretty good though. But hey, I'm learning and having fun with it. The whole reason I made this CoD, y'all are doing some cool stuff!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m post pictures of the results later but I’m making this milk bread in the kenwood and it’s created the oddest shiny dough.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/26/milk-bread-recipes-dan-lepard

pre-rise

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Reposting this from the bread thread because I forgot this existed.

I made a 50/50 whole wheat and rye sourdough this past weekend.

It tastes super good, it's just dense which is to be expected with so much rye and whole wheat. I don't have any bread flour (and wanted to save some of my AP flour) so clearly there wasn't enough gluten in this loaf to make it rise.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

learnincurve posted:

I’m post pictures of the results later but I’m making this milk bread in the kenwood and it’s created the oddest shiny dough.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/26/milk-bread-recipes-dan-lepard

pre-rise

Post rise in bowl, at the start I thought it was too wet and a really odd consistency but it went into a more normal, if extremely silky, dough after rising.

After knocking back and whatnot

Second rise

enormous milk bread rolls.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croatoan posted:

I tried again. Still working out how to make them look pretty. Tastes pretty good though. But hey, I'm learning and having fun with it. The whole reason I made this CoD, y'all are doing some cool stuff!

tasty > pretty imo, but it still doesn't look bad? I like cracks in bread. They get crispy!

One way to get a nicer finish is to really wet your hand, reach underneath the dough and pinch, and pull it over the top. Turn 90 degrees, repeat, then do that a few times (and do the whole process 2 or 3 times. You can get a really nice skin on boules that way. Then a controlled cut will be easier, in my experience.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thanks for the tip! I just see some breads that have such cool slits that make them look biblical in their prettiness (like what Doh004 posted). I tried but failed. All part of the learning process and the mistakes are again, tasty and fun so it's very cool.

Also I'd like to add, I have a cake carrier that I usually keep in storage but it works great as a breadbox since I'm doing homemade bread instead of packaged.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Classier than my giant ziploc, that's for sure

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My favorite restaurant is V Street in Philly. I've liked all of Rich Landau's restaurants that I've been to-- when I first went to Horizons in college it totally changed what I thought vegan cooking could be and steered me off of a course of just eating tofu and broccoli on rice every dinner. Up until this quarantine I'd hit V Street for lunch at least once a week-- I love almost everything on the menu. I love his and Kate Jacoby's cookbooks too, and I especially love his pretzel bao buns. I don't know how authentically pretzelly they are and I certainly don't know how authentically baoy they are but they come together quickly and they taste really good.

The first bit is just letting some sugar and active yeast bloom in water. Then you knead it in with flour, salt, and a decent amount of szichuan peppercorns (I used more than the recipe calls for because I love them). Let it rise, split it into eighths, and smush them out into little doughy ovals.

These are really imperfect-- my wife and I are both dealing with bad allergies and doing this as a little sick day project.

These eight get very briefly boiled until they're nice and puffy. Fold them into bao shapes, brush them with butter (the book calls for vegan butter-- ours was off so I just used some of my cultured butter from last month), and sprinkle on the rest of your szichuan peppercorns. My wife doesn't like them as much as I do so I also mixed things up and did a few with just black peppercorns, and swapped out half of the rest for sesame seeds and some smoked salt.

Then they just bake for a few minutes until pretty and golden.

For serving Landau and Jacoby suggest ginger mustard, which I also whipped up while waiting for the dough to rise.

I also wanted a little something more in terms of crunchiness and spice since I'd been living off of soup for the last little while and wanted to do my sinuses a favor, so I diced up a few dashi pickles. My initial idea was to stuff these in with the mustard but that proved to be too much for my sickly reserves so I just served them on the side.

An easy, tasty recipe with a lot of fun textures and a pleasant amount of heat if you want it. Perfect for a drizzly sick day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey everyone, I hope you don't mind me crossposting in here. I made a bread thread for a get creative challenge over in BYOB and someone said you're doing a bread thread here too and I should post a bread.

Finger Prince posted:

Today I made Zopf or Züpfe. I have never made or eaten this bread before. It is from Switzerland. The one recipe from a book I have called for using sour cream, which I didn't have. The other recipe that I found online called for milk, which I also didn't have. But I do have this, which is kind of in between?

So, to begin:

400g of whole wheat flour (all I had) with the bran sifted out with a fine seive, plus 100g of the 7 grain flour from above*
(*wheat, rye, triticale, barley, yellow corn, soybean, flax).

Plus ~12g or two and a bit tsp of salt (my scale doesn't measure that fine)
The salt was ground from flakes in a mortar that previously had salt and dried rosemary in it so bonus flavour!

80g butter, 250ml kefir, 1 egg yolk, 2tsp instant yeast granules, 1 tsp caster sugar

The kefir was warmed in the microwave to about 38C, then the egg, yeast and sugar were whisked in. Transferring to the metal and adding the ingredients and whisking cooled it off some, so I brought it back up to here with a bowl of hot water to make sure the yeast activated

Foamy!

[not pictured]
Make a well in the flour and add the creamy liquid. Start combining by hand to start making a dough.

Add the softened butter and work it through to make a rough dough.

Now we start kneading! The hottest thing since sliced bread is no-knead dough but honestly kneading is the most fun part and quite therapeutic. Why would you want to skip this step?

After about 12 mins of kneading. Recipe called for 15-20 but I was using low gluten flour still with bran bits etc that might cut up the gluten strands or something (I read it somewhere). Also it was smooth and elastic at this point so I figured that's probably fine. Now to put it somewhere warmish to rise.

(it doesn't look it, but it really has doubled in size)

Now to braid it.

Roll it out into two long snakes.

Make a cross

Do this

Then do this

Et voila!

Let it rest 20 minutes, then apply egg wash.

Into a very preheated to 400F Dutch oven, because my actual oven is crap and can't even make decent oven fries, and at least this way the temp will be constant and the moisture will stay in the cavity. Lid on, and back in the oven it goes for ohhhh about 28 minutes.

Waiting for the bread to bake beer.

Looks like bread!

Crumb is pretty dense, which I kind of expected, but has good texture. It's not all big holes like artisanal country sourdoughs and stuff, but it slices easily and makes for nice toast (a lot of those holey breads are kinda crap for toast tbh), and the flavour is great! A little tart from the kefir, with a bit of sweetness in the background.

If I were to make this bread again, I'd use unbleached wheat flour with maybe some spelt flour mixed in. I think the flour mix I used absorbed too much liquid and the dough was a little dry. I think the kefir definitely added a depth of flavour, but also might have made it a bit dense. I might try buttermilk or just a really rich whole milk like Jersey or something if I can get it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, I went to make a bread last night, and hosed up. Right about the moment my levain was at full peak and ready to go, I realized I was out of both dry milk and unsalted butter.

That's okay though, I used to be a professional. Dug up a can of coconut milk and a can of veggie shortening, and made vegan (if you're okay with yeasts) sourdough sandwich bread.

Verdict: I'm gonna make this again. Good flavor, good crumb, -very- soft and perfect for sandwiches and toast.

Recipe, based on this, in case anyone else is crazy enough to follow along:

300g levain - 128g flour, 128g water, 44g starter (or just use 300g fed starter, I'm not the boss of you)
631g bread flour
50g sugar
14g salt
6g active dry yeast
340g light coconut milk
45g shortening

Proof to double, de-gas, shape into two loaves, proof again until crowning 1" over the pan, bake 30-35m @ 375.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Don't you just love when a mistake and a quick substitution come together to make something great you wouldn't have otherwise considered doing at the time?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The perfect vessel for homemade sausage gravy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Finger Prince posted:

Hey everyone, I hope you don't mind me crossposting in here. I made a bread thread for a get creative challenge over in BYOB and someone said you're doing a bread thread here too and I should post a bread.

that looks amazing, and as an old man who was a fan of the animaniacs, your posting name is even better

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cross posting from the bread thread. This is a double layer plat, which has 11 separate strands, next time I’ll do a 12 strand octopus.

learnincurve posted:

My teenagers did that “oh wow this is actually good” thing so I’m going to be doing increasingly elaborate stuff just to mess with their minds.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
That plait looks incredible!

I've done a fair bit of breading the past week or so.

Focaccia

Sourdough

More different, better focaccia

And the best tasting of all: Sour dough discard crackers!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I've been on a rectangle kick:

Honey-oat Pullman loaf.

Rye Pullman loaf.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've breaded quite a bit recently.

Baguettes

Le crumb

Pumpernickel (no caramel color)

Quick breads/face masks.

Muffins

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Quick breads/face masks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Quick breads/face masks.

mildly terrifying

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A pile of pitas:

I'd never made pitas before and turns out they are super easy! I used this recipe and it was fine. It's nice to find a yeast bread that can go from 'hmm, maybe I want some fresh bread' to bread in your mouth in under 2 hours.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016071-homemade-pita-bread

It tells you to roll the dough too thin IMO (or maybe I just cooked them too long) but they came out more crunchy/crackery than soft. Next time I think I will make 4 thick soft pitas instead of 8 thin ones. I put my pizza stone on the gas grill and did them there. Threw a few oak sticks on and it got a nice wood-fired, smoky taste. They went well with homemade baba ghanoush with eggplant from my garden. I seem to be going on a middle eastern cooking adventure lately, so I am sure I'll be making them again soon. Nice to find a bread that does well on the grill because I don't love using the oven alot in the summer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A pile of pitas:

I'd never made pitas before and turns out they are super easy! I used this recipe and it was fine. It's nice to find a yeast bread that can go from 'hmm, maybe I want some fresh bread' to bread in your mouth in under 2 hours.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016071-homemade-pita-bread

It tells you to roll the dough too thin IMO (or maybe I just cooked them too long) but they came out more crunchy/crackery than soft. Next time I think I will make 4 thick soft pitas instead of 8 thin ones. I put my pizza stone on the gas grill and did them there. Threw a few oak sticks on and it got a nice wood-fired, smoky taste. They went well with homemade baba ghanoush with eggplant from my garden. I seem to be going on a middle eastern cooking adventure lately, so I am sure I'll be making them again soon. Nice to find a bread that does well on the grill because I don't love using the oven alot in the summer.

Nicely done! I will say in my experience rolling them thin is key to getting a nice pocket; once they inflate you can prolly take them off then and there (maybe a quick flip if the one side still feels gooey). Between that and stacking them in a covered zip or dish, they should stay pretty soft.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The lean sourdough sandwich loaves I've been rocking lately. I need to post in the bread thread about the crust discoloration, all my sourdough have been coming out like that. My rustic batards are entirely pale grey, even at a higher baking temp for longer. It might have to do with the towels I'm proofing them under...

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hello I made cornbread muffins and they have bread in the name so woo

Edit: don’t tell the southerners but while I vastly prefer their style of cornbread I still like it sweet, so I doubled the sugar in a southern recipe and sprinkled with Demerara sugar before baking. Honestly the sprinkles made it a little too sweet, but I have no regrets otherwise.

edit edit: TIL demerara sugar and turbinado sugar are similar but not the same. I sprinkled it with turbinado

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 27, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I am on a journey of homemade pumpernickel.

First, assemble the onion starter.

Allow a revival weekend with buried treasure.

Assemble the pumpered nickel dough

Place upon the blessed crotch of Jeff Goldblum and allow to rise.

Shape and let proof

Use your razor sharp wit to score the loaves and then bake with steam until ~190°F.

Results?

Results!

Delicious.

Bonus

Grilled cheese from pan de mie made this weekend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It begins

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

toplitzin posted:

I am on a journey of homemade pumpernickel.
Goodness this looks sooooooo fantastic. I am very jealous. The Goldblum looks great too. What recipe did you use?

My own contribution: I bought a 10kg sack of wheat flour and basically every night I make a ton of roti (Indian flatbread) to accompany dinner. I'm stuck in lockdown in India in a kitchen I wasn't using prior to this and it's quite under-equipped. I have no rolling surface so I use a dinner plate and I have no rolling pin so I use a mostly empty bottle of gin a previous roommate left when they moved out. I cook on an induction burner with rather coarse heat settings so to get the right temperature I have to keep cycling between two of the temperatures. And I don't have a tawa (flat pan with no sides or very short sides, often cast iron) so I use a sort of flat saute pan with medium-high sides that makes it kind of tough to flip them. But it turns out making 10 roti every night turns you into a roti master no matter what your tools are and by this point they're all basically perfect.

(This picture is actually from a coupe weeks ago I think, but they look basically the same as the ones I make now.)

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

In keeping with the flat bread theme I made scallion pancakes but with ramps because they looked great at the store:

Definitely will be making this again because drat were they tasty, very easy even though I can't roll out a circle to save my life

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Goodness this looks sooooooo fantastic. I am very jealous. The Goldblum looks great too. What recipe did you use?

Professional Baking - Gisslen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No knead done!

I missed this a bit

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

May is almost over and I have failed to make a bread. I will try my best but it might not be until early June which is probably still “Mayish”

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Got zucchini in my farmer’s grab bag this week and I hate zucchini, so it was time for more quick bread.

“Clean your stove Hawkperson”

Yeah yeah I’ll get to it

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
made buns

for Burgs

and a Bacon & Egg Roll

also felt my way around adding some sourdough discard to a yeasted pizza base recipe and was pretty happy with the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
double posting because it's Mayish.

Sourdough.

Finally got a banneton. Clearly used WAY too much flour dusting it.

Wholegrain/Oat bread

this is absolutely my favourite bread I have ever made. Used this KA recipe but subbed in the wholegrain flour I had sitting around. The crust, the flavour. Goddamn. I just need to figure out a way to keep the decorative oats to stick to the top a bit better.