Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Age of Fire is ending. The Age of Fire has been ending for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. No matter how many times the final embers begin to fade, some brave soul will come along to link the fire one more time, giving the world a little more time in the sun. This has happened too many times to count, now. This cannot continue. Time itself is beginning to fray.

“Bearer of the curse… seek souls,” the Emerald Herald begins her practiced speech to the newest sorry Undead to crawl into Majula. One day, she will find someone to take the throne that King Vendrick left absent so long ago. She doesn’t think this undead has what it takes, but she has nothing but time to be proven wrong.

There is a strange scent in the air, however, winds of change that haven’t graced the land in centuries. The bearer of the curse leaves for the Forest of Fallen Giants… and the moment they’re out of sight, the fog closes in on the town.

The inhabitants of Majula wake up and discover that their humble settlement is no longer where it once was, cozy in the kingdom of Drangleic. It is now surrounded by a deep ocean, with no land in sight even with the aid of binoculars. Not only that, there are new structures that have haphazardly come into existence on either end of town… and unfamiliar Undead are trickling out of them. After some disoriented discussion, it is gathered that both buildings are called The Firelink Shrine. No one is quite sure of their connection, or how this unreal world has been shaped. One thing, however, is clear.

Somehow, those with the closest links to the future inheritors of fire have all been brought together in one place, one time, for a purpose none of them understand.

They are not Lords, or Gods, or Legends. they are, however, the greatest of this age's ashes...

And, as they will soon discover, the worst of the ashes as well.

Hey everyone. This is a game of mafia for 17 players. It will be heavy on power roles, with some weird/unique roles. That said, I've done my best to balance it so we can all have a good, solid game of mafia. Ideally!

Playerlist:
  1. Amnistar (He/Him)
  2. cheese sandwich
  3. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  4. ilmucche
  5. Jonathan Fisk
  6. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  7. Mr. Steak (he/him)
  8. MysticalMachineGun
  9. NAGA LIU KANG
  10. Pussy Quipped (He/Him)
  11. Quidthulhu
  12. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  13. Squiggly
  14. Toalpaz (THEY THEM)
  15. xiw (he/him)
  16. xopods (he, him, his)
  17. Your Personal Muse

Bloodstains

NAGA LIU KANG - Licia of Lindelt, Scum-aligned Doctor/1x Ninja was executed on Day 1.
Mr. Humalong - Eygon of Carim, Town-aligned 1x Bulletproof Bodyguard was killed on Night 1.
MysticalMachineGun - Lucatiel of Mirrah, Town-aligned 2x Even-Night Vigilante, was executed on Day 2.
Xiw - Patches the Hyena, Town-aligned Jailer was killed on Night Two.
Squiggly - Lautrec of Carim, Scum-aligned 1x BP/1x Strongman was executed on Day 3.
Amnistar - Siegward of Catarina, Town-aligned Tracker was killed on Night 3.
Quidthulu - Creighton the Wanderer, Self-Aligned Vengeful Executioner, was executed on Day 4.
Ilmuche - Andre the Blacksmith, Town-Aligned Vanilla Townie was killed on Night 4.
Xopods - Sieglinde of Catarina, Town-Aligned Backup Watcher-Tracker was killed on Night 4.
Cheese Sandwich - Mild-Mannered Pate, Self-Aligned Treacherous Executioner/Compulsive Serial Killer (1x BP, 1x Ninja) retreated, victorious, on Day 5.
Jonathan Fisk - Solaire of Astora, Town-aligned Innocent Lover Mason, was killed on Night 5.
Toalpaz - Ringfinger Leonhard, Scum-aligned Roleblocker (Inherited 1x Ninja) was killed on Night 5.

The Rules of Mafia:

1. Don't be jerks to each other! If you feel like you're getting genuinely upset at the game, please step away and take a breather for a while. Quarantine's got us all feeling weird but this is meant to be a fun game.
2. As an important addendum to the above, the OP will have listed pronouns for anyone who's got them in Votefinder. Please use and respect them. I'm not going to bring the hammer down on you if you slip up, but I have zero tolerance for people who actively refuse to even make an attempt at being decent.
3. Do not copy/paste or screenshot out of thread communication, whether it be your role PM, mod statements, or any other OOT communication you may be privy to. Paraphrasing is okay, but don't try to pull any 'gotchas' with the phrasing of your win condition or whatever, it's lame.
4. After you die, you're allowed one free 'bah' post for shitposts and poo poo-talking. These are not allowed to have any information or reads, mention players by name, or have anything that could conceivably affect the in-game discussion. For example, saying 'I hope my scum buddies kill you all' is fine. 'I hope that my good scum friend PLAYERNAME kills you all' isn't.
5. Try your best not to lurk. Lurkers will be available for a free lunch if they fail to make 10 posts in a day phase; leniency will be given at mod discretion but don't count on it.
6. Don't fake day actions.
7. No posting allowed between hammer and flip.
8. Discord is required.

I'm planning on having dayphases last for three days.

New players welcome, if you wanna spectate just hop in the discord and gimme a shout.

Speaking of discord, please join the server when you sign up.

I'd like to have this game start as soon as possible after it fills up.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

I wish I could play Dark Souls but too I'm in too many others. I'm down to replace in when if you need someone!

noted! and hey if signups run on long enough maybe you'll die and be free :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ilmucche posted:

gently caress

:unsmigghh:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yes, this will continue to be a thing, we just need more players

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

(was that a signup post YPM?)

Also, if you've signed up but haven't joined the discord in the OP yet, please do so!!! I want to start this game as soon as we reach 17 players, but I need everyone to be there, first.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

get in the discord you donk

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

This has not started? Soon I will be able to change from replacement to player if things do not pick up

yep, we have two open slots (and a player who might need to drop out) so you'll probably be able to get in on this

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hell yeah we'll get this bastard filled up eventually

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

please join the discord!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The days are even harder to measure than usual, but the first approximation of one passes peacefully. Introductions and toasts are made, and many long hours are spent speculating the meaning of their newly shared existence.

The inhabitants of this strange hubworld don’t realize the danger they’re in until an altruistic soul decides to try and free the caged firekeeper in the Firelink Shrine. When they arrive, they find only her corpse, dressed in a tattered robe.

She couldn’t run. She couldn’t scream. Her soul and her humanity had both been harvested.

dmboogie, the Mute Firekeeper, Town D0 Sacrifice, was killed at the beginning of the game.

Someone among them was hunting Undead.

Day One has begun. You have three days.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

YPM play Modern Warfare with me!!

##shoot Amnistar

the OP you absolute loving heathen posted:

6. Don't fake day actions.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sandwolf will face no consequences for this astonishing display of "Bad" but like, please no one do this again, thank you for your attention.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

cheese sandwich posted:

Oh I was actually wrong about this, just was not expecting on discord. Sorry mr mod :(

platinum.... i do not have

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

attention good players of mafia (and bad players)

OFFICER LIGER is swapping out and will be replaced by MysticalMachineGun. Thank you for your attention.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Steak posted:

dmboogie ADD VOTECOUNT TO THE OP GODDAMNIT

you got it boss

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

That is hammer. Please refrain from posting while I type up the flip.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Who was the bastard that slaughtered the helpless, caged Firekeeper?

The question echoed throughout the town, the circumstances of their arrival now a much less pressing issue than the murderer among them. The dregs huddled in groups, wildly flinging accusations, fearful that they would be the next victim. The situation could have easily escalated into a mass slaughter if not for the timely intervention of the Emerald Herald and the Blind Firekeeper.

The two of them summoned the gathered souls to the bonfire in Majula, burning brighter than any of them had seen before.

"Seekers of fire. Cast the wicked ones into the flames. Their sacrifice will light your paths."

It didn't take long for the crowd to decide on who would be the first to kindle the bonfire. The phony cleric had been suspicious from the start; always insistent that they should buy her miracles for their own good, while carefully dodging the question whenever someone asked where she had trained, what she actually believed in.

"Wait! Have faith," she cried as she was surrounded, but it was too late. In the blink of an eye, she was grabbed and shoved into the pyre waiting for her.

As she burned, her only regret was that she never got the chance to kill any of them in their sleep.

NAGA LIU KANG - Licia of Lindelt, Scum-aligned Doctor/1x Ninja has been executed on Day 1.

Night One has begun, and will run for two days (5/16/2020, 8:00 PM EST) or until all night actions have been submitted.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

With one evil amongst them vanquished, the residents of New Majula fell into a false sense of security. Exhausted after a day of suspicion, they separated to their own little corners, hoping to rest before returning their focus to the mysteries surrounding their arrival.

And yet, one man stood vigil. While his armor resembled a twisted gargoyle and he had a dark personality to match, he was perhaps the most furious among them at the Firekeeper’s demise. He knew his own failure of a maiden was safely locked away in another time, another world, but it could have been her. It still could be her, if the bastards responsible escape. He didn’t believe it was over.

It brought him little joy to be proven correct.

The others found his body when they emerged from their stupors, his last words burned on the ground in front of him.

“Deluded Hollow bastard… Irina..."

Their work is not yet done.

Mr. Humalong - Eygon of Carim, Town-aligned 1x Bulletproof Bodyguard has been killed on night one.

You have three days.

Jonathan Fisk has been warned for having a postcount under 10 the previous day. If this happens again, he will become a free lunch.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Squiggly posted:

if your case is seriously that I wouldn't be able to type a name in a minute just loving kill yourself

Hello, please don't say poo poo like this.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Squiggly posted:

IC: suck my dick

thats more like it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mod note: deadlines will be less godawful in the future.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The sun shines on Majula. This is normal. What isn't normal is the shining beam that is currently acting as a spotlight for a certain warrior of sunlight.

Jonathan Fisk - Solaire of Astora has been confirmed grossly incandescent. And also Town-Aligned.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 19, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The only person who would ever mourn Eygon's death was alone in a dark cell, in a distant land. She would never know what had happened to her captor, her protector.

The remaining Undead in Majula had formed another mob in front of the bonfire, presided over by the Herald and Firekeeper. Even if most of them were privately glad that his imposing presence was gone, everyone feared that they would be the next to vanish in the night. Even the comforting presence of Solaire, who had quickly become the most trusted man in town, wasn't enough to stop the crowd from choosing their next sacrifice.

Their gaze fell on the woman who wore the mask of a bearded old man, already going Hollow underneath. She was aloof, melancholic, having come to the lands of Drangleic for reasons she would not share. When she was accused, her desperation to survive at any cost only further proved her suspicion in the eyes of those who had already condemned her. She was cast into the flames.

"Oh... my dear brother..."

When the fire died back down, the crowd was silent. This felt different from the first day. Had they made a mistake? The Undead uneasily separated for the night.

MysticalMachineGun - Lucatiel of Mirrah, Town-aligned 2x Even-Night Vigilante, was executed on Day 2.

Night Two has begun, and will run for two days (5/21/2020, 12:30 AM EST) or until all night actions have been submitted.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sure, people were dying, but business was booming for Trusty Patches. As everyone else went about their panicked days he simply squatted in a corner, peddling little tools and trinkets to soothe their worries. He was a little annoyed that the bonfire sacrifices weren't kind enough to leave behind a body for him to scavenge, but he'd managed to swipe a few choice items from Eygon when no one was looking.

Even he had to try and do his part during the night, though. He'd gotten very good at trapping people in inconvenient places over the years - though it was admittedly a change of pace to try and do it in a fairly non-lethal way. It wouldn't do to blindly kill off his customers in a panic when there were still clerics lurking about.

That night, he was skulking around Majula's notorious pit. A public safety hazard, it was, and though he strained his eyes to try and find a way down - he'd heard that they buried their saints down there, and where there were tombs there was treasure - without a ladder he was out of luck. He couldn't even properly kick someone down there. They'd die for sure, and what was the point of killing someone if you couldn't even loot their corpse?

He turned around, deciding to try and find another devious trap to use that night, but there was someone standing in front of him. Before he could even react, he had been kicked in the chest. He stumbled backwards.

In the morning, his absence was immediately noted. A search party was formed, but they only ever found his last words, carved by the edge of the pit.

"Curses! How in the... What did I do? What... did... I... do?!"

Xiw - Patches the Hyena, Town-aligned Jailer was killed on Night Two.

PussyQuipped has been warned for inactivity. If this happens again, he will become a free lunch.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 20, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mod note: PussyQuipped has withdrawn from the game. If a replacement is not found before the end of the day phase, his slot will be modkilled.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

edit: gently caress wrong thread

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Attention: Jamuraan will be replacing in for PussyQuipped. Thank you for your attention.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ilmucche posted:

(Toal goes by they/them)

Please be mindful.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Flip will be up shortly, please refrain from posting.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Majula was significantly quieter without the Hyena's constant mercantile cajoling, but the silence came as little relief to the survivors. Their daily trials had become a ghastly routine, and so they gathered in front of the bonfire to shout and cast blame until a suitably guilty sacrifice was found.

It was a small miracle that Lautrec had gone so long without being suspected. Quiet and cryptic, he seemed the least affected by the growing fear that gripped the hearts of knights and brigands alike. He is absolutely certain that he won't die here.

When the crowd had irreversibly turned against him, confiscating his weapons and pinning his arms to the ground, he calmly confessed to the murders. He had needed the Firekeeper's soul to properly attend to his duties as Fina's chosen, had needed to harvest humanity from the others. Nothing personal. He was simply the most important man in the world, and his quest came before all else.

Up until the moment he was thrust into the fire, he believed that his beloved goddess's favor would protect him from harm. It did, for a few seconds. Then the flames claimed him the same as they had his co-conspirator. Even a Goddess's power had limits, or maybe he had fallen from grace long ago. Either way, his last words were more shocked than agonized.

"...Curses... How could I..."

The crowd dispersed, relieved. The more paranoid among them were certain that the worst was yet to come, but they could do nothing but hunker down and wait for another night to pass.

Squiggly - Lautrec of Carim, Scum-aligned 1x BP/1x Strongman has been executed on Day 3.

Night 3 has begun and will end in two days (10:00 PM EST 5/24/20) or when all actions have been submitted.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

A toast and a nap, that'd do the trick, the onion knight thought to himself after the day's grisly events had concluded. He hated distrusting others, but if he died he would never be able to see his final promise through to the end, so he had stayed vigilant all throughout the long nights. Now, the evil was defeated, and perhaps he could finally take a rest... just a short one. He'd get his spirit back in shape with some fine spirits, haha! He could go back to his usual night watch after few hours.

His honed instincts woke him up to the sound of quiet footsteps approaching, and he opened his eyes just in time to see his doom coming for him. He had enough time to regret, but not to fight back.

They found his body in the morning, sitting peacefully by the bonfire. If it wasn't for the words burned into the ground in front of them, they would have thought him simply asleep.

"Forgive me, old friend...I've failed, in everything..."

Yhorm would never know rest.

Amnistar - Siegward of Catarina, Town-aligned Tracker was killed on Night 3.

Mr. Steak has been warned for inactivity.

Quidthulu has been warned for inactivity.

Jonathan Fisk has become a free lunch that will not end the day. If he is executed, the flip will be posted at the end of the day.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Thread's open for business

You have acquired a second stack of blood vengeance points.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Whoops, didn't set the deadline. Here we go.

Votecount for Day 4
Not Voting (11): cheese sandwich, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Jamuraan, Jonathan Fisk, Mr. Steak, Quidthulhu, Sandwolf, Toalpaz, xopods, Your Personal Muse

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 26th, 2020 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 3 days, 5 hours.

It isn't over yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jamuraan posted:

ilmucche, wanna explain this or what?

Sorry that was an OOC joke and not a game mechanic.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The onion knight was well-loved by most who had met him, with only the ever-bright Solaire landing higher in the court of public opinion. For once their attempts at finding the killers were motivated by more than simple self-interest.

That was, of course, until a fistfight broke out in the middle of their debates. Creighton was pulled away from the poor sap, furiously swinging at the air between them until his arms were finally pinned. The people around him demanded that he explain what the hell was going on, but were answered with near-incoherent rants about how he'd been wronged, how long he'd been waiting to finally strangle the life out of that dirty rat.

The crowd allowed this to continue on for longer than they probably should have, but finally they decided that the man had clearly gone completely mad. It was all too easy to imagine him murdering poor Siegward over some imaginary slight.

He struggled until the moment they threw him into the flames, but as the fire claimed him, a strangely peaceful expression crossed his face.

"Heh... rotten bastard..."

He sounded almost reverent as he faded into ashes.

Quidthulu - Creighton the Wanderer, Self-Aligned Vengeful Executioner, has been executed on Day 4.

You know the drill. Two days, deadline 11:00 PM EST 5/28/20, I'll start early if you get your actions in.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The comforting tink tink tink of hammer striking metal had been a constant presence throughout the strange days of murder and mistrust, a small bit of much-needed stability. Its absence in the morning was more noticeable than any blood-curdling scream could have been.

They found the tireless, timeless smith slumped over his anvil, having clearly just finished putting the finishes touches on the sword that would prove to be his final creation. It was simple, unadorned, practical. If he had known what was coming, would he have done anything different? Sought to leave one last masterpiece behind? Or was the act of forging itself the only satisfaction he needed? His last words gave no answers.

"Curses, you drat backstabber."

His death was tragic, but finding a nightly victim had become a grim routine. No one expected to also find the corpse of a second onion knight. She had proven herself a seasoned traveler despite being the youngest among them, the only one who wasn't Undead. Maybe the only one one who could hope for a future brighter than going mad as the sun slowly died above her.

"Oh, how can this be...! ...dear Father..."

There were fewer gathered by the bonfire each day. At this rate, they'd all be dead before the week was over. Something had to be done.

Ilmuche - Andre the Blacksmith, Town-Aligned Vanilla Townie was killed on Night 4.

Xopods - Sieglinde of Catarina, Town-Aligned Backup Watcher-Tracker was killed on Night 4.

Toalpaz has been warned for inactivity.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 30, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Votecount for Day 5

cheese sandwich (5): Your Personal Muse, Hal Incandenza, Sandwolf, Hal Incandenza, Jonathan Fisk, Toalpaz, Mr. Steak
Your Personal Muse (1): cheese sandwich, Mr. Steak, Toalpaz, Toalpaz, Mr. Steak

Not Voting (2): Hal Incandenza, Jamuraan

With 8 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 30th, 2020 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

It isn't over yet.

Flip will be up in a few.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

While the stakes were now higher than previously imaginable, it did not take long for the townspeople to land on a suspect. Had Creighton truly been out of his mind, the previous day? Or was there a reason he'd been so desperately trying to choke the life out of the man they'd assumed to be a hapless victim?

Pate started to sweat as he felt the crowd's pointed attention fall on him. He'd been so careful to slip under the radar, to avoid falling prey to the notorious killer that had been so doggedly pursuing him. To slyly root out the other murderers in their midst while never being quite dangerous enough to justify them killing him. He'd had a long and healthy career of stabbing other people in the back, and he wasn't about to let it end so unceremoniously.

"Not too shabby, heh heh heh... but I won't let you do the same to me!"

His normally lackadaisical attitude belied how fast the slimy bastard could run when he wanted to. They searched for the rest of the day, but never found another sign of the snake in their midst. Cut off from the world, there were so many places he could be hiding - had he fallen into the pit? Leapt into the ocean? Found a hidden crack in reality to slip through and merrily return to his treasure-hunting ways? They'd never know, but one way or another, they'd never see him again.

Cheese Sandwich - Mild-Mannered Pate, Self-Aligned Treacherous Executioner/Compulsive Serial Killer (1x BP, 1x Ninja) has retreated, victorious, on Day 5.

Two days for night actions, 8:00 PM EST 5/31/20, but it probably won't take that long.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Majula grew quieter with each night. That morning, only five remained alive to meet in the center of town. It did not take them long to find the two new corpses, lying side by side. Their first thought was that Pate had somehow struck again, but a closer look at the scene made it perfectly clear what had happened.

Solaire's straight sword was stuck through Leonhard's chest, while Leonhard's crescent moon blade had been buried in Solaire's neck; and both corpses had been stripped of their humanity.

The two of them had made an unlikely pair, striking up a friendship from the first day despite seeming to be complete opposites. Solaire had shone like the sun, beloved and trusted by all, while the nicest thing you could call Leonhard was 'sinister'. Still, their history of jolly cooperation had seemed unshakable.

Their last words revealed little.

"Why, you...How could this...? My... my sun..."

"Curses, I can't... die here... My dear Goddess..."

Had Solaire finally suspected that something was wrong with his friend as the corpses continued to pile up around them? Or had Leonhard been the first to strike, confident that it was finally safe to eliminate the pest that had latched on to him? Whatever the case, someone else had beaten them to the bodies. More would have to die before they were finally free.

Jonathan Fisk - Solaire of Astora, Town-aligned Innocent Lover Mason, was killed on Night 5.

Toalpaz - Ringfinger Leonhard, Scum-aligned Roleblocker (Inherited 1x Ninja) was killed on Night 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

YPM did confirm Jammy to be vanilla, but I suppose scum team could have a goon. Forgot what squiggly flipped for role

The OP has been updated to include every flip thus far.