Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone mentioned about the different types of radiation and one was you could put in your pocket, one you could touch, one eat (joke?) etc. What's that all about

I learned this in Radworker 2 training but am stealing the answer from another forum
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=346295

"There is an old saw that goes: You have an alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron source. You have to eat one, hold one in your hand, put one in your pocket, and throw one away. What do you do?

The answer is eat the gamma, because it doesn't make much difference if it is inside you or outside; hold the alpha, it will be mostly stopped by the skin; put the beta in your pocket, your clothes will shield it; and throw the neutron source away, neutrons are bad for you."

I always follow these threads but I can't say too much because I have a clearance and work as a Union Ironworker doing construction at Y-12, that place is worth a read, but that's going into weapons territory. A lot of my coworkers have done a stint or 2 on the road chasing nuclear outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU