Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020
So many of us work in Industrial Jobs. Day by day, we see the things we build here in the US being replaced by shoddy outsourced crap.

As an Industrial Quality Inspector, part of my job is to catch this crap before we try to integrate it into the products we are trying to build.
Recently, I have noticed a huge spike in 'crap products' that we are supplied with which means they either have not quality control, or they
have paid the quality gnome enough that he will accept any piece of crap the idoits choose to send us.

As a former member of production, I get extremely angry at this sort of poo poo. If we are choosing these companies over well qualified American companies, then why do we spend so much time kicking their products back over stupid defects. On my average work day, I spend about a quarter of my time kicking back crap products that were not built to the drawings they were supposed to be.

I don't know about anybody else here, but I stand up for the people that try to make quality components here in America. And we can only do that if we're not supplied with poo poo parts. For some off shore companies, they will continue to eat up what meager salaries they are getting to pass their time. But our union workers really depend on the jobs they are doing. If they keep getting handed poo poo by people who don't give a poo poo, then in the end you're killing their jobs. You're starving their kids because you don't care about the quality of work you are doing. You don't care if I have to send a product back and the Production worker has to put his or her job on hold because you chose not to do your part in not loving your job up. So please, all of you idiots that don't get checked when you're building simple poo poo. This simple poo poo effects somebody else's job. If you don't care about your job, then get the gently caress out of it. Don't gently caress it up for everybody that depends on you down the line.

So in a nutshell, do your loving job, and do it right the first time you idiots....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
You already know the reason. :capitalism:

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

The Cubelodyte posted:

yeah, but why is it the countries that are depending our our Capitalism that are sending us this crap? Have you ever worked in the manufacturing industry to see this? Or is this just some gimmick response to make yourself look cool?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Maybe if you stopped rejecting bad parts the reject rate would look better. When you think about it, this is really on you. Do right by your shareholders and kill a few customers.

(Serious answer: It's so much cheaper to outsource, in many cases, that the Chinese or Indian low-cost manufacturer can gently caress up six times before they reach the price point of doing it once in the USA. Also, American jobs and employees are irrelevant and complain too much, expect paychecks, and think they deserve to not die from toxic chemicals and carnivorous ladders.)

quote:

yeah, but why is it the countries that are depending our our Capitalism that are sending us this crap? Have you ever worked in the manufacturing industry to see this? Or is this just some gimmick response to make yourself look cool?

Do the parts meet the original spec? If the spec is poo poo, it doesn't matter to the manufacturer if it doesn't work for you in reality. They met your spec. Alternatively, they know that you don't have a US backup manufacturer because if you did, you wouldn't be using them. Who the gently caress cares if the quality is poo poo if you're going to grin and bear it anyway?

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

the brainwaves are thinking
because op 10 lovely parts cost as much as 1 good part so the net amount of parts is higher for less money just more work on your end but that's not the problem of the fat money grubbing owners of the corporation now is it?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Name one USDM auto manufacturer that makes a decent product.

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Sundae posted:

Maybe if you stopped rejecting bad parts the reject rate would look better. When you think about it, this is really on you. Do right by your shareholders and kill a few customers.

(Serious answer: It's so much cheaper to outsource, in many cases, that the Chinese or Indian low-cost manufacturer can gently caress up six times before they reach the price point of doing it once in the USA. Also, American jobs and employees are irrelevant and complain too much, expect paychecks, and think they deserve to not die from toxic chemicals and carnivorous ladders.)

I reject parts based on the drawing that I have available. So this usually means that the parts don't actually fit the built because some measurement is wrong.

So, you're gonna ride a train that is supposed to do 200mph. And I decided that it was ok to say the bolts were 'close enough'. This train decouples and crashes into a building at only 150 mph, not the 200mph we were expecting so it wasn't that big of an issue, right? The bolts were close enough afterall, right? I mean, it should be good enough to get credit for trying, right?... would you ride that train?

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

interwhat posted:

Depends on which org and platform. Chevy and Ford both have models that consistently score extremely high on quality and reliability. They also have different scores depending on the factory. Mopar is poo poo, though.

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

interwhat posted:

can you take the drawing and prove that? or is this just some opinionated response to make yourself feel better about saying that American manufacturing is poo poo yet you have no real first hand knowledge of the subject, just what others say about it? I spend every day looking into these defects and I can tell you that American manufacturing is the most accurate to the drawing that I have ever seen. Have you looked at any of the drawings and checked out the parts to make sure they matched?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

you're missing the point, the bosses chose the manufacturer because it's the cheapest by far and because nobody is currently riding them to do better. they don't factor in the cost from a pr hit as a result of a crash to make american manufacturers come out ahead until after it happens. you want that to stop, you have to kill quarterly profit thinking out of business people and stockholders; good luck with that

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you're missing the point, the bosses chose the manufacturer because it's the cheapest by far and because nobody is currently riding them to do better. they don't factor in the cost from a pr hit as a result of a crash to make american manufacturers come out ahead until after it happens. you want that to stop, you have to kill quarterly profit thinking out of business people and stockholders; good luck with that

ok, so you're missing the overall point. when I reject a part because an outsourced company didn't build it to the drawing, our company charges $500 per incident. When this is finally resolved, we have usually written up on the average 5 different instances. Because after we identify the problem, and relay the return on experience to them. They continue to send the bad parts because we haven't changed something in our system. So in the end, the non conforming part tends to cost us twice as much as if we had it built locally. And normally, we have it reworked locally so we can keep our production schedule on time. So please tell me where sending non conforming parts is saving us money? The majority of our out sources suppliers send us non conforming parts that I have to waste my time on to get them reworked locally where if we just had them made locally to start, we wouldn't be wasting all of this processing time. So yes, the initial price is cheaper, but the rework and reprocessing costs tend to make it more expensive than if we just had it done locally to start. Please, i would love to hear your response to this.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread is intense. What do you manufacture op?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Inefficiency is part of the model, OP. Sorry I don't have more than that, just a stoned shitposter.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

The Cubelodyte posted:

Also :mitt:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

bluewolf78 posted:

ok, so you're missing the overall point. when I reject a part because an outsourced company didn't build it to the drawing, our company charges $500 per incident. When this is finally resolved, we have usually written up on the average 5 different instances. Because after we identify the problem, and relay the return on experience to them. They continue to send the bad parts because we haven't changed something in our system. So in the end, the non conforming part tends to cost us twice as much as if we had it built locally. And normally, we have it reworked locally so we can keep our production schedule on time. So please tell me where sending non conforming parts is saving us money? The majority of our out sources suppliers send us non conforming parts that I have to waste my time on to get them reworked locally where if we just had them made locally to start, we wouldn't be wasting all of this processing time. So yes, the initial price is cheaper, but the rework and reprocessing costs tend to make it more expensive than if we just had it done locally to start. Please, i would love to hear your response to this.

Have you ever considered that your experience is the exception, and not the rule? Just because your company can’t manage their supply chain, doesn’t mean others can’t.

:gas:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Have you ever considered that your experience is the exception, and not the rule? Just because your company can’t manage their supply chain, doesn’t mean others can’t.

What do you do? Dudes just frustrated.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

phasmid posted:

Inefficiency is part of the model, OP. Sorry I don't have more than that, just a stoned shitposter.

Aint that the two of us, though rest assured blue will put on a good show and tell about the ins and outs of train quality inspection

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Burt Sexual posted:

This thread is intense. What do you manufacture op?

I am Quality Inspector for the Electrical Harnesses that go into the East Coast High Speed Rail Train. When I was Production, I used to build the Harnesses for the Montreal Light Rail Vehicles and the Ottawa Light Rail Vehicles

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

bluewolf78 posted:

I am Quality Inspector for the Electrical Harnesses that go into the East Coast High Speed Rail Train. When I was Production, I used to build the Harnesses for the Montreal Light Rail Vehicles and the Ottawa Light Rail Vehicles

What Is Your Favourite Part About Quality Inspection For The Electrical Harnesses That Go Into The East Coast High Speed Rail Train System?

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Flowers for QAnon posted:

So if you have the solution to this, why aren't you trying to sell it to companies? Or are you just here to jam out a few random one liners that have no thought behind them? I figure if you were actually able to analyze a company from what I have posted and had an actual viable solution then you wouldn't be here trying to poo poo up posts with nonsense. you'd be a billionaire somewhere who didn't care about forum threads and the like...

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

TatoPancakes posted:

What Is Your Favourite Part About Quality Inspection For The Electrical Harnesses That Go Into The East Coast High Speed Rail Train System?

notice how Tato would just like someone here to acknowledge his existence. he needs validation people, please help him out....

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

bluewolf78 posted:

notice how Tato would just like someone here to acknowledge his existence. he needs validation people, please help him out....

And here I thought I was asking my friend a heartfelt question feels bad man

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bluewolf78 posted:

So if you have the solution to this, why aren't you trying to sell it to companies? Or are you just here to jam out a few random one liners that have no thought behind them? I figure if you were actually able to analyze a company from what I have posted and had an actual viable solution then you wouldn't be here trying to poo poo up posts with nonsense. you'd be a billionaire somewhere who didn't care about forum threads and the like...

Op, you need to approach this differently. Explain how you’ve gone up the chain? Yes? Offered solutions? Settle down a bit. I know your “new” but at least try to not slap at posters poking fun in gbs. If you need take it to some serious forum, you’ll get a mix of shitposting and serious here.

bluewolf78 posted:

Don’t do this again.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

In general an executive might introduce a fantastic cost cutting measure, watch the stock rise, cash out, leave with a golden parachute bonus, and be long gone by the time the losses are realized. The days of the 50's where upper management was treated like a lifetime appointment are long gone. People treat their own companies like pump and dump schemes now. Some public contracts have a different proximal cause from favoring the lowest bidder. Can't wait until 2040 when we're riding around in trains made of pot metal.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its called labor arbitrage op

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Burt Sexual posted:

Op, you need to approach this differently. Explain how you’ve gone up the chain? Yes? Offered solutions? Settle down a bit. I know your “new” but at least try to not slap at posters poking fun in gbs. If you need take it to some serious forum, you’ll get a mix of shitposting and serious here.

Ok, so yes, how I've gone up the chain. I have proposed many solutions to our out sourcing issue. It's not that the companies are full of idiots, it's that they aren't being trained well enough. The issue I have is, I have been on multiple calls with the Supplier Quality division which is supposed to relay these things to the companies and we still end up with the same defects. Yes, it may be lacking in our own company. But in the end, I still have to waste about 2 hours of my day every time I run into these issues. Normally, that wouldn't be an issue if our expected turnout didn't require 2 inspectors (budget is for 1 <> this guy) and my primary job is inspections. However, non-conformance parts are also supposed to be at the top of the priority list and reviewing builds before they are finished to prevent defects are also the #1 priority.... So no, i'm not trying to target anyone in particular. I'm sure it may make sense from the outside. I wish I could get some clarity to assist on the inside with this but it's just not working. These days, the COVID thing just gave me a couple slower weeks before I'm overwhelmed again. So I apologize if anybody took offense, but there are some serious things in Quality that most people over look.

Don’t do this again.

Don't make fun of him again?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Whoa I didn’t type all that

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hey man, i didnt break american manufacturing.

it was broken when i got here. in fact, where am i right now?

sometimes in the middle of my fugue states of lusting for cheap asian plastics i go completely blackout and wake up on a sandbar of trash in my local town park.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bluewolf78 posted:

the initial price is cheaper

well there you have it

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

blue you gotta figure out how to quote posts right man that wall of text was bad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
theres no real guarantee an american manufacturer would not fuckup besides if your company can't even handle it as it is, imo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sounds like you’re mad at your job/employer, not the good ol USA? Maybe BFC would help you out better wo gearing into endless slapfights.

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

hey man, i didnt break american manufacturing.

it was broken when i got here. in fact, where am i right now?

sometimes in the middle of my fugue states of lusting for cheap asian plastics i go completely blackout and wake up on a sandbar of trash in my local town park.

ok, so big corporations broke american manufacturing. our plant used to build the best train motors in all of the world. they did that from the early '80s to sometime in the late 90's before the company got bought out and we went to cheaper parts. one thing that we learned was, when your product is better than the competition, you can afford to charge more. the issue is, what margin is ok? I till tell you that some of the motors we built in this shop still last today while the competition has long been through 'refurbish' stage. we charged more for the motors, and they came back. till we started building the same crap everybody else is building. and now we can only charge what they are charging.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

bluewolf78 posted:

ok, so big corporations broke american manufacturing. our plant used to build the best train motors in all of the world. they did that from the early '80s to sometime in the late 90's before the company got bought out and we went to cheaper parts. one thing that we learned was, when your product is better than the competition, you can afford to charge more. the issue is, what margin is ok? I till tell you that some of the motors we built in this shop still last today while the competition has long been through 'refurbish' stage. we charged more for the motors, and they came back. till we started building the same crap everybody else is building. and now we can only charge what they are charging.

yeah but heres the real question

those fuckin forest ranger dicks are gonna find this sandbar and be super pissed again. how is dow chemical going to get me out of this pickle

tune in next week to find out

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Burt Sexual posted:

Sounds like you’re mad at your job/employer, not the good ol USA? Maybe BFC would help you out better wo gearing into endless slapfights.

actually, I'm a lil angry at both the employer and about 40% of the work force. the portion that figures they can do whatever and just let everybody else fix their issues.

I come from Production, I know not all issues are genuine mistakes. I know that there's a good percentage that could be fixed by just checking your work. That being said, Americans tend to check their own work more than the outsourced competition does.

To be honest, I think the good old USA does still make the best poo poo on the planet. It costs more, but you should understand that you're getting quality work. Every American deserves to be recognized for the work they do. Americans build some of the best poo poo on the planet. It may not be as good as we used to, but it's still better than the competition. Not in price, but in quality. And that's what we need, American Quality.

I think that's what I was trying to push all along, we need to recognize our American workers and help them out by buying from home when we can. It may cost more, but it will usually last a lot longer...

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It's not a problem with the people doing the job.

It's a problem with the people who buy the items.

You may not eat fast food, But millions of people do every day because it's fast, easy, cheap enough, and addictive.
It's the same with cars, utensils, phones, pens, shoes, exercise equipment. A lot of the current entire culture is based upon a "use it once and throw it away" mentality. Landfills are filling up with trash. Nobody cares if they have a bad crappy part, they have enough money to toss it away and buy another in few months when it breaks.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bluewolf78 posted:

actually, I'm a lil angry at both the employer and about 40% of the work force. the portion that figures they can do whatever and just let everybody else fix their issues.

I come from Production, I know not all issues are genuine mistakes. I know that there's a good percentage that could be fixed by just checking your work. That being said, Americans tend to check their own work more than the outsourced competition does.

To be honest, I think the good old USA does still make the best poo poo on the planet. It costs more, but you should understand that you're getting quality work. Every American deserves to be recognized for the work they do. Americans build some of the best poo poo on the planet. It may not be as good as we used to, but it's still better than the competition. Not in price, but in quality. And that's what we need, American Quality.

I think that's what I was trying to push all along, we need to recognize our American workers and help them out by buying from home when we can. It may cost more, but it will usually last a lot longer...

This sounds America ra ra. Germany makes some good poo poo i hear. I think there are many others.