Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Talow posted:

C + Ask if the spider silk is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Talow posted:

This

Also ask Yorda about spider hearts

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Always help Cailu bro

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Talow posted:

Ask Yorda about spider heart, tips for butchering it out of the corpse, ask if there's any recipe that use blood as ingredient. Tips about blood elemental.

Ask sewer about spider silk, wolf pelt/fur, ask if it's possible to improves the underwear like with new material or a full body gown, use illusion to introduce to modern undergarment design, in fact, sell designs to her from what we can remember in our drawer and clothing store. Socks?

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Cailu doesn't comment on how you're working, but he does start talking as you walk over and start eating lunch together. "You know, my wife was really excited when you said you'd come visit. I know she didn't show it, but I'm sure it meant a lot to her. Not a lot of people want to spend time with her." It's an actual heart to heart, and it feels kind of weird for you, "Not that I wanna guilt you into going. We both know you're busy, between helping me and working with Yorda and all that. Just, you know. Thanks for treating her like a person." It's probably the saddest you've ever seen Cailu... you shift awkwardly where you are.

G We haven't seen Shaebi in two weeks. She's probably pretty lonely. Let's go see how she's doing. Perhaps if we take Talliah and Boarmaster, she'll have some tips for them on how to be better beastsouled. We also should get a boon for crossing over 20 affection with her

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010
E

It's time we get a weapon proficiency, I think.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

E, lets get a proficiency!

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

nonrev posted:

G We haven't seen Shaebi in two weeks. She's probably pretty lonely. Let's go see how she's doing. Perhaps if we take Talliah and Boarmaster, she'll have some tips for them on how to be better beastsouled. We also should get a boon for crossing over 20 affection with her

G Always nice to see someone thinking about Shaebi.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not that I have any preference either way, but if we talk to Shaebi we might be able to learn the elf style of cooking.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

For reference's sake she's Caliu's wife right? That we helped her move into the village, right?

Seems like a good idea to check how she's feeling with her new home?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

For reference's sake she's Caliu's wife right? That we helped her move into the village, right?

Seems like a good idea to check how she's feeling with her new home?

Home isn't ready yet Druid said the tree would be done but the construction wouldn't be completed until after the event is over

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
C, bring the silk, and tell her that the other Awoken would probably like stuff like this now that they have some coin.

Also I guess tell the other players about the special undies and see if some might want to special order since they have coin now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kristopher posted:

G Always nice to see someone thinking about Shaebi.

Day 25 Part 2

You stop by the smithy briefly, a majority of your equipment unequipped. You're down to your casual clothing and your Shadesmith hammer for actual equipment that you aren't leaving after all. A wave to Cailu has him light up, you see he has multiple barrels full of weapons in horrible condition, and a few benches covered in armor pieces. "Lo, Ais!" He greets you with a big wave, and then brings down the waving hand - and hammer - onto the sword he's repairing. "Here to help me get everyone's stuff to working order?" You feel a little bad with how desperate he sounds - even with your extended breakfast you expect he's probably only about 10, maaybe 15% of the way through the workload. And instead you're adding more.

But you give a casual shrug, instead of showing him pity, "I actually was hoping you could repair my stuff too. I was hoping to go see Shaebi actually, it's been awhile since we've talked. Plus, after the incident yesterday with having to come back to town to feed the team, I thought learning her cooking secrets would be great. And you know, plenty of time for girl talk." The last part seems to be the tipping point for him, as he starts laughing and points you towards a barrel and a half empty bench.

"Fine, fine. Leave me to my sweaty work. I'm sure she'll love some company. I've been here from dawn to dusk every day after all, and while I know she understands why..." You get it, and you pat him on the shoulder, giving him a thumbs up.

"I got it. Leave it to your apprentice. Do you think she'd mind if I brought a couple friends too though?" You thumb over to where Boarmaster - or rather, Goremaster - is visible in the crowd, though you know Talliah's still eating at the Warrior. "I thought she might have some tips for younger Beastsouled."

He looks over at Goremaster with a frown and a shrug, "My only worry is getting them past the hornets. I'm sure they'll leave you alone once they smell you, but if they see a tasty looking pig like that? They probably will take a few bites before they sniff you out. Good thing you asked." He pauses his work, unlike earlier in the conversation, and you hear a few girls making stereotypical shouts at the scene of Cailu stripping his apron off, and then his shirt. You see that his body is covered in small scars, and also incredibly muscular. He's no body builder, and has a good amount of fat on his stomach, but seeing him like this is impressive. He's certainly very attractive, though you'd yet to really see anyone in this game you'd deem as 'ugly'. You turn to see a few girls staring very intently, and Lio is standing among them.

And then his sweaty covered, smelly shirt lands on your face, and you gag. You remove the shirt just in time to see him shaking his sweaty hair out, and laughing at your reaction, "Just keep that out and on you. The hornets know my smell better than yours, and that's got a lot of it on there. Hopefully it'll keep them from biting first."

You don't remain much longer, and you're suddenly a lot more understanding of why Shaebi keeps Cailu on a short-ish leash in regards to drinking in town, if he's this casual about stripping down. A PM sent to Talliah to get her to come to the entrance is done, before you meet up with Boarmaster and the three of you wait for Talliah and Sabbie together.

Cailu gains +3 female fans, +1 male fan

-----------------------------

The actual trip into the northern woods is quicker than usual. You, Boarmaster, and Talliah are all riding atop Goremaster who is a good bit faster than you at its size, at least with Boarmaster alternating charge boosting skills. Sabbie has no problems keeping up. You explain about Shaebi, her bond-mate, the dangers, how they shouldn't attack any wasps, etc. on the way. They both seem pretty happy about potentially learning more from a more experienced Beastsouled.

A PM in your head from Talliah gives you a little more, "Thanks. I'm glad you invited me. I... don't want anyone to die again because I'm not doing all I can.". She doesn't reply to your rather awkward reply back, or your praises on her taking down the boss before it got Eagle. She just stays quiet. All you can hear is a giant pig running through the forest.

As you start entering near where you know the wasps start, you pull the sweaty shirt out of your inventory, and tie it to one of Goremaster's tusks. You really hope this works, because you still smell like Cailu's sweat from it being on your head briefly. And to your relief it does, a few wasps come close in a pack and seem to threaten you, but they leave you alone soon after being snorted on by Goremaster, their attention on the shirt.

-----------------------------

Shaebi is standing in the doorway when you arrive, and start to make your way up. You let Tank and Talliah take in the sight of the massive hive that has replaced the leaves of the tree above the treehouse. There's no need for you to narrate that, you simply move towards the woman of the house - the incredibly round woman of the house - and give a small bow of your head, "Sorry that it's been so long since my last visit. I got a little sidetracked." You expect her to be mad, after seeing her attitude with Cailu, but she just pats your head.

"Don't worry about it. Come, come all of you. Except the pig." She points at her door, "Sorry, your bondmate's too large. She'll need to stay out here. I'll have the children bring her some food though." Shaebi heads in first, waddling the entire way into the kitchen slash dining area of her home. You motion the others forward, and you, Talliah, Sabbie, and Boarmaster enter the home. You see that it's been vastly cleaned up from last time - much of the home appears to have been packed up for the upcoming move.

Still, as you arrive at the dinner table, Shaebi already has it set out for tea, and has a bowl of what seems to be blood on the floor, that Sabbie happily starts lapping up, "At first when Sese said a large group was coming with Cailu's clothes, I was worried. Then they sniffed out who it was, and told me about the 'delicious' mount, and I figured it out and got tea started, rather than preparing to kill you all." She laughs at her joke, taking a sip of the tea, and then fanning her mouth, "Oof, still too hot." The incredibly pregnant woman is not terribly threatening, until you consider the fact that dozens of wasps float in and out of her roofless home, and others sit on the walls staring at you. Each one reaching about a foot in length, with larger more dangerous [Blood Hornet Soldiers] visible in the higher tree.

Boarmaster leans in to you, and not so subtly whispers, "Dude... uhh... are you friends with a raid boss? The gently caress...?" He seems more intimidated than Talliah does, who is just sipping on her tea happily surrounded by the bugs. Shaebi's clearing of her throat at that question draws Boarmaster to look at her instead, and he says, "Uh, what I mean is uh. Hi. I mean, hello. Greetings. I'm Boarmaster. Uh, Goremaster's outside but she's my bondmate." His usual irreverent attitude is gone in front of this very pregnant 'raid boss'.

Talliah is more polite and more stable with her greetings, "Yes, thank you for welcoming us into your home. I am Talliah, and my bondmate is Sabbie, who is very happy with the prepared snack. Thank you for that." You do see a brief shiver as a wasp crawls past her feet and starts sipping from the same bowl as Sabbie, but she suppresses it fast enough.

You rub the back of your head, smiling to Shaebi, "I have a few reasons to show up today, but among them I was hoping you could maybe give some pointers to my friends here. I know you said it can be hard for Beastsouled to understand themselves, since all of them are different and more... spontaneously made, rather than trained. But I know you also said you'd met a few who helped when you were younger so..."

You trail on just a bit too long, but she seems more impressed by your remembering your conversation from two weeks ago, rather than judging any rambling, "I can't do much. Like you said, every bond is different. But the one thing we do share is that the bond exists, and I do know that there are a few ways people tend to develop their bonds." You feel like you could leave at this point, but you decide to stay for the explanation regardless.

"Some Beastsouled do what you were doing earlier - they ride their companions into battle, and become a single force of two bodies. These tend to focus on Commands." For some reason, you Feel like that word is capitalized, even though you have no reason to feel like it's being stressed, "And use these to draw out more crushing power in brief moments, for bigger impacts. I expect your companion," She points to Boarmaster, "is quite skilled at charging enemies down, and keeping them trapped on those large tusks of hers, no?"

He nods his assent, and she continues, "A second form of growth some choose is to become closer to their companion, to take on their traits and fight alongside them. That's what I did, in a way." As if to show this, she opens her mouth, and suddenly her jaw is replaced by red chitin and her teeth by massive fangs. A few seconds later, the shifting breaks and she goes back to normal, shaking her head, "Sorry about that. Normally I'd simply show off a bit of flight, but unfortunately I'm a little larger than when I learned to do that. This is also how I can communicate with the Hive, and typically allows those who follow their path to mimic their companions strengths - I imagine Talliah here would be able to mimic the great cat's jumping ability, or their stealth capabilities quite well, alongside things like fangs and claws."

She pets her belly affectionately after finishing the lesson. "This type of bond relies on having a deep understanding of your companion. Not everyone does, unfortunately - the famous hero Varli is renowned as the greatest Beastsouled to ever be born, and yet his eagle companion Huri and him are said to have never developed true speech between them, like Se-Se and I are capable of. So don't feel like you have to pursue this route."

You bring it up instead, tilting your head, "Varli had an eagle as his companion, and yet he was so great? How could an eagle compare to something like a boar or a hive of hornets?" You were genuinely curious - you hadn't learned much about the Lore of Lorothal yet, so learning about one of the heroes was interesting, if likely not particularly relevant to you in this case.

She shrugs her shoulders at that question, "I've got no clue. The stories all tell of them as great heroes who defeated a legion of chaotic beings on their own, and died only after slaying so many that they fled back through the portal they entered from. But the details vary from telling to telling. Some say he was a great spearman who could take on aspects of his companion's vision - despite not understanding their thoughts - and hit any targets. Others say he was a great bowman who utilized his companion to harry foes, but whose unmatched talent was in his own weapon skills. Some even claim Huri was no normal eagle, and its wings could blot out the sun when it flew above." Another shrug, she finishes her drink.

"No one even knows if Varli really lived, honestly. I never was much for myths and legends in that way, so who knows. If he did, it was thousands of years ago."

The conversation seemed like enough for Boarmaster and Talliah, who seemed to be deep in thought, and you decided to interrupt, "So... any thoughts on meeting a more experienced Beastsouled?"

Boarmaster shakes his daze off first, and gives a thumbs up, and points to something in the air, then smacks his forehead, "Sorry. Forget these aren't visible. It's a quest. 'First Step to Specialization'. It says I need to achieve level 50 and 'meet the criteria of specialization.', but the reward is listed as 'Second Class Advancement'."

Talliah nods her head, "Yeah, same here. I think that what Mrs. Shaebi here told us was uh, two of the options for that."

Shaebi herself seems to get the gist of the conversation, though she's looking at you all like you're very queer individuals, "Don't just take my advice though, kids. There's always other paths to walk, especially with something like a one of a kind bond. If you wanna forge your own path, do it." She's very supportive of you weirdos, and you are fairly sure that has something to do with you and your high affection with her.

Speaking of which, as the wasps fly down and start moving to take the emptying tea cups to the washing area, she points at you, "Now then, you said you'd come for cooking lessons weeks ago. Lets get those drilled into your head. You're gonna learn from the master of healthy eating." She's all grins, "And these two friends of yours can be our taste testers."

-------------------

You work with her for a long period of time, at least a couple hours - she teaches you more about preparing the ingredients pre-cooking than she does anything to do with the heat. A lot of her food is based on healthy spices, use of blood as a seasoning - which she apparently drains from every corpse the Wasps catch - and other very... natural bits of food. "I learned how to eat like this from Se-Se. Animals know a lot about what to eat - especially a mom as huge as Se-Se. She knew exactly what gave her body the strength she needed to keep going, and she taught me it. I hear some of the gods of Yamato use a similar technique, but I've never wandered nearly that far."

Her cooking takes more time, more preparation, and more ingredients than Yorda's, which overwhelms with fat and heavy use of spices. You briefly fear that your Orcish cooking skill will be joined by a secondary cooking skill, as you plate up your first success that Shaebi doesn't throw to the wasps to eat instead of letting you serve people. A window pops up as you finish plating it, and you hold your breath before reading it.

quote:

Cooking has been improved to 'Animalistic Cooking'

You blink. And then again. You open your character information window, and see that Orcish cooking is nowhere to be seen. And then another window pops up,

quote:

'Animalistic Cooking' and 'Orcish Cooking' have begun to synergize.

A new skill will be created. Congratulations.Your Cooking skill has become 'Primordial Cooking'

You wonder if you once again caused internal squabbling between the 'AI' or 'GM' or whatever were running this game slash prison. You whisper out a quiet taunt of, "Gonna have to keep doing that." But Shaebi takes it as a compliment to you liking her recipes, and beams at you, taking your mind off your grudge against your jailer.

That's the end of your time with Shaebi, and you figure you should get back to town, so you say your goodbyes and she makes you promise to save the town - what with her finally being able to move there again and all. The five of you make your way back to town quickly, and you try to formulate a plan in your head for how to handle these Lords.

A. If we get involved in large battlefields, we're sure to lure out a Lord like the first day.
B. If we find large battlefields, we might be able to sneak up on a Lord hanging back from the battle.
C. We should look for a scouting party, and let them find us, so the enemies come to us.
D. Our rangers will help us find the lords or camps - but we don't want to get involved in a huge battle. Hundreds of goblins at once would be bothersome.
E. Write in

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
A now that we have a murder hobo gang ready, let us go kill some gobs.
Also use our consumables/puppies if the odds become drastically outside our favor It was like 5-10 to 1 odds before we leveled up? Or was that for Yorda fighting them?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cute scene. Wasn't what I'd have voted for, but it was nice and I'm glad it won.

A. :black101:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

B since I believe it's very different from the strategy we used last time with the goblins.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A Get. Stuck. In.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A. Teach them goblins what it means to face the Cold-Iron Chef :black101:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A D If we're lucky, maybe Da Gitz won't catch on we raided their unholy temple for poo poo.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 17, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

An army isn't sneaky, and if goblins don't respawn reducing their numbers will help later

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

I'd rather let the two armies of chaff fight each other while we take out their leaders, buffers, healers, etc.

If we just charge in we'll have to fight both armies at once. If we stay out of their way they'll reduce their numbers for us.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D

KittyEmpress posted:

Beginner's Primordial Cooking - A combination of multiple cooking styles, emulating the primordial gods who built the foundation of the world, by using food to create the foundation of a body.. Meals made using these cooking techniques enhance the growth of the body through hard work, and can provide permanent stat bonuses based on quality of ingredients use. XP: 22/100

:eyepop:
That's one badass hybrid skill.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I am glad that won, and yeah, the GM and devs seem to be arguing a bit about what becomes of skill combos like that based on the delay.

B but go all in if poo poo goes south.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Talow posted:

I’m for this!

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Talow posted:

I am glad that won, and yeah, the GM and devs seem to be arguing a bit about what becomes of skill combos like that based on the delay.

+1 to this

We should try and synergize more skills just to gently caress with the devs. Try and forge a meal out of solid iron, like a solid spinach salad, just made of iron.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

B we've got this ambush skill, and we wish to use it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Quickly buy the underwear!!!!
A and B
find the battlefield engage without SKS, he's a one man hit squad now he'll be looking for the chiefs entourage alerting/whispering us/his family and engaging if/when appropriate

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Shogeton posted:

B we've got this ambush skill, and we wish to use it.
^^Voting for this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
DB. Ranger find camp/lord, waits and tails them for a chance to ambush the lord or when they are greatly weakened from battle .

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be aggressive but smart about it. Have our stealthy folk find the guys at the edge of battlefields and once found we charge in with guys like boarbruh

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

D

Let's be sneaky! We do have Pack Ambush, after all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Day 25 Part 3

The return to town is uneventful, and when you arrive you're actually the last three to be prepared for battle. Cailu trusted Tyler with both Boarmaster and Talliah's damaged gear, but apparently refused to hand over Pride or your other gear, so while everyone else is waiting at the base of the ramp, you are forced to run up towards the Smithy. It's a little annoying, even if you are thankful of Cailu taking such good care of your gear.

When you arrive though, he's just sitting there where you normally take lunch, your gear next to him. He gives a little wave, but he's not smiling. You approach with less rush after noticing that, you're concerned about him. It's not the greatest time, but he's basically your best friend at this point. So you go and sit next to him, and wait for him to speak - it doesn't take long, "Tell me honestly - how's the goblin situation looking?" He seems to have been thinking hard on it for at least some time, "I need to know for my family's sake that you really think this is possible. Not that you hope that it is, but that it actually is. If not, I got us packed for moving to town here, but it'll also work for getting us out of here." He gives a long sigh, and looks towards the Temple, "Look, I'm sure Chandrelle and Arbello filled your head with stories of how great the Awoken are. Amazing heroes who save everyone and never fail to help those around them, yadda yadda. But it's better to admit if you're in over your head. We can evacuate the town, get everyone on the road before the goblins come."

You listen through, but at the end of it you put your hand on his knee, and pull his shirt out of your inventory, returning it to him in the same moment, "I'm not trying to be brave about this. Yeah, the first couple days were rear end, but everyone's gotten a lot stronger. I bet most of 'em could put the guards here to shame now." You were confident - everyone's levels had gone up massively, but so had their technical skills. In the first fight with the goblins they were screaming in pain and freezing up from small scratches with little daggers - now most of them could get mauled by a wolf and still react with a counterattack instead. "We're gonna take at least one of these chiefs out tonight, and we'll repeat it from now on. The only worry I have?" You chuckle a little, "Is finding them, honestly. I doubt goblins could threaten any of our people." You give a thumbs up, and pat his back as your rise, "But that's only if we get out there."

He smiles at that last comment, and gives a nod, "Well, I trust you to have keys to the Smithy. Might as well trust you to solve this problem. Good luck, and Mother Tree's blessing and all that." He gives a wave, this time with that smile on his face. You feel pretty good about that at least.

------------------

The initial planning and marching was pretty simple. You said you wanted to go for a big battle, and all but a couple people agreed readily. A lot of them said the same things - they wanted to compare their growth to 4 days ago, and see how differently things were going to go. You have a similar point of view there - fully armored, with another eight levels? That's definitely something you'd like to compare to 'before'. The few dissenters mostly seemed interested in finding villages and solving the problem that way, but you argued that it was more likely for the Lords to be with their armies clashing - after all, the intention of the event for them is to take over each others villages.

The problem with this was that after wandering bits of the Southern Forest for over two hours... you had seen nothing of interest besides a few old battlefields - scavenged of everything but the most rusted and broken of equipment. No bodies left behind, barely even blood remaining - they probably weren't from today judging by that. And then Sophrex calls out, "I think I see something past these trees!" It's the first good news you'd had in awhile...

Though Darra tempers it with a, "But I don't hear anything." So it can't be a battlefield at least. But it was at least something new. You are at the front lines, chaining your Ambushes to get people over the treeline, and looking over a brutal scene. Tattered tents and broken 'homes' lay over the treeline, a smoldering flame still in 'center' of what you have to assume was once a goblin village. But there are no living creatures in this village's confine - you and the others split up to check it over, for things of worth, signs of where the enemy involve headed, or just survivors. The amount of dried blood on the ground was massive - you felt like every other step you ended up in the jellifying green blood of the goblins. It made you feel slightly sick. And yet there were no bodies, again.

You finally get a clue of where this was - or rather, a huge sign smacking you in the eyes - as you enter the still smoldering husk of a tent in the center of the village. The words Chief Unt's Tent becomes apparent in your eyes. But there's nothing left of it. The location still apparently registers as what it once was, but you doubted there was a boss to be fought in this little 'boss room'. Especially since the room itself was burnt down to a crisp. There's just... nothing.

Everyone else comes back with similar stories - everything that wasn't horribly damaged in whatever raid did this was taken. Anything heavy enough to be hard to take - buildings, large tents, ramshackle chests and whatever was once in them? Put to flames long enough ago that while it still smoldered, everything inside was ash.

It didn't make any sense. Why would the lords destroy the villages? They needed more people from what the quest - and vision - said, they grew stronger from followers. What could they gain from a massacre like this? Or was this someone else - the Satyrs? Those other players Tyler mentioned falling out of contact with near the beginning of this event?

Either way, morale was at an all time low after the first discovery turned out to have literally nothing within it besides a worry about the goings ons. Luckily, this also proved a great time to start cooking lunch, so you annouced loudly, "Alright everyone. Lunch time. Settle in for a break, and I'll whip something up for each of you." You hoped they liked wolf meat. Because that's all you had - you were not packing an extensive amount of herbs and spices, or even any eggs for side dishes. This was perhaps not the most well thought through idea, and you wonder why you hadn't considered buying some ingredients from Yorda - she probably would have sold you them.

You initially plan to make use of the 'slow' method, pulling out the bones of each piece of meat and prepping it, and then cooking it with a spit. But as you light the fires, you accidentally send a spark onto a bit of the coagulated blood, and it goes up like you'd just thrown a match on oil. You jump back by instinct, but looking around at everyone they also seem interested in it... It feels a little weird, but you end up gathering a bit of the blood before setting your fire this time. You find that only the lumps of coagulation seem to be viewed as 'items' by the system, and spend a couple minutes adding them to your inventory, mostly out of view of the other players, who are talking up what they're gonna do when they 'win' the event or what not. You're sure Eagle saw what you're doing, same with a few of the other more reserved players who are less distracted by chatting with each other.

Either way, your plan works perfectly as you mimick Yorda's technique best you can without any fire resistance. Yeah, it hurts. But it also means you take about 20 minutes to cook for everyone, instead of the hour plus you had planned. Plating was simple - incredibly simple. You literally used Pride to strip off some choice tree bark, and made use of it to hold the 'Razor Wolf Flambe'd with Goblin'. Well, anyone who didn't see you gathering that oil substitute would definitely know what was in the dish soon enough. But the only people who seemed to hesitate to grab it as you called "LUNCH TIME!" were Talliah, Lavender, Lio, and Suz. Even Darra doesn't seem to mind the idea of eating the sapient monster meat.

The actual food is... honestly, it's not your best work. Not nearly as good as what you made for Shaebi's lesson, nor what you ate for breakfast. It tasted strongly of iron, with a deep salty undertone. You guess the salt is likely something in goblin blood, since you had none to actually use. It's not actively horrible, like when you ate the raw fish and had to fight revulsion and joy at eating. It's just... there. The good news is that it's at least cooked through. The better news is that as people start to finish their food, you hear a few people start freaking out. First Samedi, who seemed to eat very quickly - you didn't even see her take her first bight, then Suz, and then Dukke.

You hadn't thought about it before, but who would have the 'weakest body' amongst those with you? Clearly it would be the casters, putting every stat into intelligence and wisdom. But more than that, it would be the fairies. They started with so little in physical stats... And you knew from experience that when your stats raised, it called you out on your weak physique. It takes awhile to wrangle the massive group into calming down - shouts of favoritism, people shouting that the boss potions were pointless. You end up causing a lot of noise, before the eventual explanation becomes obvious - all three of those with a stat gain had a 'total' physical stat value under 30. Anyone above that mark got nothing from this.

"Guys." You call for attention with a slam of Pride against Generosity, "It's fine. Everyone will get something eventually. I've been eating meals like this too - and the higher my stats go, the more meals it takes to benefit. Better food also makes it faster... probably. I mean, just guessing from the skill description." You're not completely sure, you've only cooked with the proper Primordial Cooking skill once now, and it was not exactly a quality meal - flash burnt wolf meat drenched in goblin blood. Yum.

Tank has taken up a position next to you, and slaps your back hard, "drat, you're gonna get a cult following at this point boss." He says the last part a little irreverently, but you can see respect in his eyes at least, and he gets more serious as he yells, "You hear that everyone? We gotta help get Aisling some good cooking equipment, so we can all get huge." He flexes to show that off, his wild elf frame very muscular, but not nearly to the same point as most of the half elves. But people get fired up. Tank turns to you and winks, saying a little lower, "I gotcha, boss. I already know you're too generous to ask for anyone to do this poo poo, but look at how they're willing to volunteer." He seems to have a real biased view of your generosity after giving him that amazing Mark.

-------------------

You manage to wrangle the idiots into semi-formation soon after, as they debate back and forth who will buy you what - a few people ask if you'll make them extra meals in exchange, but they're quickly drowned out by those offering to buy you pans and bottles and the works for becoming a mobile kitchen for free. It's kinda funny to listen to. Suz, Tyler, and you end up walking mostly on your own, they're the only two not engrossed in the conversation or scouting ahead. Explaining how your cooking skill came into creation had them both very amused. You can't say it's not funny to have stumbled on something like this.

But as everyone is loudly chatting and screaming at each other, you hear Darra from the left flank, "We have a warzone!" It had only been 25 minutes since you left the Unt village, so luck apparently turned around after lunch. You're hoping to end two lords with one fight, if you're lucky, and so you're quick to silence everyone, and point towards Darra's direction. You start to hear the sound of battle after walking a good two or three minutes past her - Darra's hearing, or her detection skills, or whatever it was... it was kind of absurd. You thought you had good hearing, but you were wrong. Another couple minutes and you crest over the treeline, to look over a massive battlefield.

There's about forty or fifty goblins laying in the ground dead, at a battle that had stopped - the first weird thing you see past the stopped battle was that goblins with two different names - "Po" and "Yert" appeared to be working together, or at least standing near each other without fighting. The second weird thing is that the amount of goblins on each side is massively different - the Po and Yert combination side likely had two hundred goblins. The opposing side, that you can see the Palo name above the heads of has only... forty? But they look different, taller, their armor is actually armor, their weapons look like actual weapons, stand in formation instead of the chaotic mess the rival tribes are in, and weirdest of all - each and every one of them possesses the 'Goblin Elite' descriptor..

And then you see him push through the armored goblins. A much larger goblin, at least four feet in height now, not the two feet of most goblins, a goblin with the name [Tainted Goblin Lord Palo]. You're easily 500 feet from him, but you can tell he's caught your eye. And you can hear him, "Aaahhhh, I knew I heard interlopers. Yes. Yes, you see, lords Po and Yert? I granted you this stay of execution so that she could watch! Oh yes. The hunger inside told me you'd come." His eyes move away from yours, and you can't help but follow his gaze. You see Lords Po and Yert are already on the battlefield - the latter wielding a staff and the former with sword and shield in hand. They look scared, and small, not regal, not intimidating like Palo.

"Tall-skins-tree-folk!" Yert is the one who yells, his staff shaking in his hands, "We-fight-together! Palo-mind-hunger, perversion!" It speaks broken trade tongue, as it tries to communicate to you, and you sort of get it. Not everyone does... Po speaks next, "Kill, kill, we-kill-friend." He points between Yert and him, "You-kill-friend!?"

But luckily, the Palo lord seems amused enough by it to translate for you, clearly looking down on you as stupid, "Oh, yes. Join with these two failure Lords, who chose cooperation over destruction as dictated. Oh yes. They would make great allies. I'm certain they wont stab you in the back. Oh so very certain. Oh, don't worry. I have no intention to counter offer." He starts to laugh, and his voice reminds you of the Vessel's as he speaks through the laughter, "You'll be dead whether it's alongside them, or after. Oops. Did I just say that outloud? Or was that in my head. Hm. Oh well." He steps back through the formation, a pair of throwing axes moving into his hands now that he's done speaking - "My elites, destroy them in... oooh.... ten seconds. Choose fast."

You only have a few seconds to decide how you want this battle to go. Think fast, yell faster.
A. I let them battle it out, and we will mop up survivors.
B. A, but I'll try my best to killsteal one or more of the Lords, should they be in danger.
C. Join the Po and Yert alliance - goblins are cannibals who even eat their own weak and wounded. You doubt the alliance will last long.
D. C, but I'm going to betray Po and Yert before they betray us. If I don't 'agree' to be their ally, it's probably not lying?
E. Attack both sides at once. This is a chance to kill three lords at once - that might end the whole event.
F. gently caress it, lets see if killing Po and Yert makes Palo change his mind on killing us, I am the Tainted Champion after all.
G. Write in

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

If Palo refuses to serve the Tainted Champion, we should throw in with his enemies.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

F: Kill Po and Yert before fighting Palo (if possible), saving use of consumables for Palo

There's a risk that Palo will end up killing Po and Yert if we side with them, thus making him even stronger. If we kill them first, it keeps him at the same power level. Also... try and eat the lords?? If we can?? In a... subtle way.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
C

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D. Work together to take out the biggest threat, then turn on the surviving goblins.

Pop the Razor Wolf Idol before using Mother's Howl.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 20, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

G: C+. Same as C, but if we get the chance we are butchering Lord Palo for all the tainted goblin meat we can carry. Yeah the other lords might have a nice bonus for our Tainted Champion antics, but Palo is the big target.
As a bonus if we kill Palo while transformed into a goblin might mean we're considered a goblin lord. Wouldn't recommend focusing on this, but if we get the chance to try it would be a nice extra.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

C.

I have a very strong suspicions that the event got changed by the fuckery that happened on day "Totally not owned"

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C We can come back for round 2 if it doesn't work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Arcanuse posted:

G: C+. Same as C, but if we get the chance we are butchering Lord Palo for all the tainted goblin meat we can carry. Yeah the other lords might have a nice bonus for our Tainted Champion antics, but Palo is the big target.
As a bonus if we kill Palo while transformed into a goblin might mean we're considered a goblin lord. Wouldn't recommend focusing on this, but if we get the chance to try it would be a nice extra.

^^Going with this plan. Gotta make sure that we kill Pola before he kills the other lords. I’d say if we have the chance, it would be a good idea to use our wolf summon and item summon if we get close to Lord Pola.