Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trek ships break along two categories imo-- either "I really like it" or "Yup that sure is a spaceship design." Borg Cube? ENT-D? Romulan Warbird? Klingon Bird of Prey? ENT-Refit/ENT-A? Awesome stuff. Roundabout? Voyager? NX-01? ENT-B/Excelsior? Vulcan ships? Ferengi Ships? Cardassian Ships? ENT-E? "Yup that sure is a spaceship design."

The only ships that really ever entered "lmao wut?" territory were the Scimitar and the Klingon Battlecruiser. The Scimitar because its "dark badass" design is 100% at odds with the premise of its construction (e.g: this was built by former slaves, in secret, on a tiny planet orbiting the center of a giant space empire), and the Klingon Battlecruiser because how did no one see or comment on the stupid sombrero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've really liked the Brood spaceships from X-Men since I read Claremont's X-Men

They're one of the visual images that stick out to me the most about that period of comics.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I always liked the ship design for Dino Riders, even if that wasn't the focus of the IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpuhLkh358Y

I can't really find a clear picture of the ship outside of the trailer. :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Roth posted:

I've really liked the Brood spaceships from X-Men since I read Claremont's X-Men

They're one of the visual images that stick out to me the most about that period of comics.

I have got to dig more into Claremont's X-Men I did not know the Brood even had ships. Most modern incarnations just have them crash on planets/asteroids/ships in a cocoon or something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bogus Adventure posted:

I always liked the ship design for Dino Riders, even if that wasn't the focus of the IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpuhLkh358Y

I can't really find a clear picture of the ship outside of the trailer. :smith:

The first episode's on YouTube and has the clearest shots you're really going to get.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mind the walrus posted:

I have got to dig more into Claremont's X-Men I did not know the Brood even had ships. Most modern incarnations just have them crash on planets/asteroids/ships in a cocoon or something.

They hollow out the bodies of space whales they kill and use them as ships. It's actually quite horrifying, like everything with the Brood.

Why the Brood have been ignored in X-men media is beyond me. Stop doing Phoenix and do Brood.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fractured Space is a very dead game, and probably the only moba-like I actually enjoyed, that I thought did a very good job in differentiating the different ship manufacturers' designs.

TDS ships had the most stereotypically futuristic look to them, rounded plating hiding chunky internals.

USR used weaponized NASA rockets.

And Zarek ships were all brute and industrial, harkening back to more 70s and 80s sci-fi.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
aww, now I missed Fractured Space.

I couldn't explain to you why but the Enforcer was far and away my favorite ship aesthetically. I had it in this red:

Also four pages and I don't think anyone mentioned the Outlaw Star, which I have a soft spot for. Grappler combat is neat even if (and because) it's anime as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QivEGZBEkI&t=162s

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Most of the new star wars ships aren't great designs, but some of the side projects have produced some great stuff.

UT-60D U-wing:

The U-Wing from Rogue One is one of my favorites. It fills a logical hole in the Rebel arsenal (a troop carrier/gunship) that was missing, typically before this you saw the EU depict the Rebels as moving troops with those bulbous cargo transports from Hoth or captured imperial shuttles, neither of which feels like a great fit. A fitting detail is it has windows on the bottom so the pilots can actually see the ground, and a cylindrical doodad behind the cockpit which is reminiscent of an R2 unit without actually sticking one on the thing. The art team that designed it say they liked the U shape because they thought it to be evocative of superman flying with arms outstretched, and they went through hundreds of iterations to refine the design into something that looked like it fit in with the classic starfighters.

VCX-100 light freighter "Ghost":

When I heard they were making a CGI series called REBELS and they had a ship called GHOST and PHANTOM I thought "that sounds awful" but they did a great job and you can tell the team really loves Star Wars in a good way. Over the years all sorts of Star Wars games and what-not have made Falcon knock-offs, ranging from the completely lame to the solidly respectable, but the Ghost is my favorite. Its also pretty believable as a freighter since you actually see it haul around some shipping containers from time to time. The basic hexagon shape makes it look like a solid working ship, while keeping the lines pretty aerodynamic. It shows up in the background of the new movies quite a bit, teasing the idea it survives all the way to the end of the sequel trilogy.

Arquitens-class light cruiser:

A pretty simple mash-up between a Republic Cruiser and a scaled down Star Destroyer, normally I don't really like designs like that but I think they made it work. I like that it has 3 engines like the ISD, only they're positioned outside the main hull due to it's size and Republic styling. The various ISD-like features such as the raised bridge and the gun turrets on the flanks are also properly proportioned for being a much smaller ship. They were designed for the Clone Wars CGI cartoon to show a transition from the Republic toward the Empire, but I don't recall them showing up very frequently there. They got a lot of screen time though and worked really well in Rebels, as it gave the crew distinctively Imperial big ships to fight which weren't completely out of their weight class like a full ISD was, and making it even more impactful when the real deal would show up.

S-161 Stinger XL "Mantis":

The player character's flying home in Jedi: Fallen Order, which I haven't played much of but I like the design. The wing and engine rotate around in flight, and rotate out of the way when landing, which seems very Star Wars. Ships also always get bonus points from me when they have a fully laid out interior design, like this one has for the game. It has a pair of fixed blaster cannons, but I don't think its supposed to be nimble enough to be a starfighter and its certainly not well armed enough to be a gunboat. The design does a good job making it feel like a vintage civilian ship from the golden age of the Republic some one has gunned up for living on the outer rim.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 20, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I enjoyed some of the functional ship designs that came out of the Space Engineers game.

Shame the game became a DLC hell, some of the community blueprints were really good.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Here is V'ger's ship from Star Trek TMP

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

S-161 Stinger XL "Mantis":

The player character's flying home in Jedi: Fallen Order, which I haven't played much of but I like the design. The wing and engine rotate around in flight, and rotate out of the way when landing, which seems very Star Wars. Ships also always get bonus points from me when they have a fully laid out interior design, like this one has for the game. It has a pair of fixed blaster cannons, but I don't think its supposed to be nimble enough to be a starfighter and its certainly not well armed enough to be a gunboat. The design does a good job making it feel like a vintage civilian ship from the golden age of the Republic some one has gunned up for living on the outer rim.

:agreed:

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy

Main ship from Infinite Fleet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jintozook81 posted:

Reminds me of the SDF-1. That's a compliment.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Squizzle posted:

the uss cygnus, from disneys THE BLACK HOLE, is fuckin beautiful

It is. I had a a chance to build a model of the USS Cynus. It was a fun build. I also put together a (mostly) scratch built a cut away Millennium Falcon.

If I had infinite amount of cash I'd build a full size Falcon that uses Rob Brown's layout.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Darth Brooks posted:

It is. I had a a chance to build a model of the USS Cynus. It was a fun build. I also put together a (mostly) scratch built a cut away Millennium Falcon.

If I had infinite amount of cash I'd build a full size Falcon that uses Rob Brown's layout.

Oh! I think that’s the first MF layout I’ve seen where’s there’s actually something behind the big blue thruster at the back. Usually there’s a big room and just the lightest suggestion of ‘oh I guess machinery is here too’, like this:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Speaking of

(Sorry I don't have a source)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I will always love this ship

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Millennium Falcon is a weird ship in that the interior doesn't fit into the exterior.

So you get these weird deck plans where the crew area is shifted way over to the left and the hallways contort around the ship. The only way to actually build it would be to scale up the exterior.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh! I think that’s the first MF layout I’ve seen where’s there’s actually something behind the big blue thruster at the back. Usually there’s a big room and just the lightest suggestion of ‘oh I guess machinery is here too’, like this:

I forget where I saw it, but long ago I read something to the effect of "engines should take up at least a third of your space ship design". I think that's a little overkill most of the time, but it's not a bad philosophy to live by and I remember it every time I draw/model a space ship.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jintozook81 posted:

This thing is absolutely going to turn into a robot at some point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That thing is 100% a Macross.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I like the "Reprogrammed IG-11 is patiently waiting for lizard to get out of the way."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

NO DROIDS POLICY

Droid is on-hand to help after space lizard boards.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Darth Brooks posted:

I like the "Reprogrammed IG-11 is patiently waiting for lizard to get out of the way."

"two blaster canons are extremely huge"

Not sure if Mando or the writer are compensating more in that sentence

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mind the walrus posted:

That thing is 100% a Macross.

Googling Infinite Fleet comes up with anime trailers so I'm going to say thats the point. It also comes up with a 4/20/20 dated blog announcing a crypto offering to raise funds for development, so I'm also going to say its not going to come out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

look at this charming impractical thing!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Squizzle posted:

look at this charming impractical thing!!

She's built like a deli, but she handles like a bistro!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chomp8645 posted:

you're sayin' that thing's got a bistromathic drive? daaaaaaaaang

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

yeah but have you ever flown in a brutalist office building painted in 90s tiger stripes??

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fun fact-- I wanted to know who drew that cover so before I just typed in the magazine info I did a reverse Google Image Search and got the Capitol Building of Georgia:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Fun fact-- I wanted to know who drew that cover so before I just typed in the magazine info I did a reverse Google Image Search and got the Capitol Building of Georgia:

both of those covers are by vaughn bodé

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I know Homeworld has been mentioned, but for my money my fave ship is Sajuuk:

In the setting Sajuuk is the name of your species' diety, He Whose Hand Shapes What Is. Over the course of the game you follows clues to find both the origin of your species, and a secret weapon to defeat the enemy faction. Eventually both your religion and your science leads you to the same place; they lead you to Sajuuk :hellyeah:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sajuuk owns and all of HW designs are great but my absolute favourite is the Hiigaran battlecruiser.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The Hiigaran battlecruiser just feels so underarmed. It should have an entire row of those turrets. It seems like so much wasted space.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Super Waffle posted:

Eventually both your religion and your science leads you to the same place; they lead you to Sajuuk :hellyeah:

It doesn't matter how you find it, what matters is what you do with it when you find it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jintozook81 posted:

Polaron posted:

This thing is absolutely going to turn into a robot at some point.

Or launch them, cause the first thing I thought of was White Base, or the Pegasus class in general, from UC Gundam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd thought Infinite Fleet sounded cool right up until...

quote:

Revolutionary Sci-Fi #MMO game from @Pixelmatic, with a #Bitcoin sidechain based game currency.
Also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Almost all my favorite ships have been posted already. (Movie Enterprise, Miranda Class, Klingon BoP, the SDF Macross, Super Star Destroyer amongst others.)

So some more niche stuff.

One of the best 50s sci fi ships right friggin here.

The Cobra Night Raven is practically a spaceship as it's an SR 71 on steroids. If it's not a space ship it's as close as you could get before becoming one!

A third barely spaceship the Cheyenne is what happens when the AH 64 Apache helicopter and a C130 have a baby. The best baby.

The Alpha Fighter with its Beta attachment booster bot thing. Why make huge Fighters when your space and atmospheric ship can be small, filled with tons of hidden missile ports, and use a big booster for getting into space or just shooting even more goddamn missiles at Invid? Plus it comes with a Mospeada Ride Armor for when your escape pod needs to be a powered armor motorcycle with it's own suite of mini missiles and large jetpack on the back. Only for the best anti Space Crab insurgencies!