Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I was never interested in seeing Jupiter Ascending until you posted these ship images. They're glorious.

It's batshit crazy but absolutely worth a watch. Hated the ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I know the Terran Trade Authority books were talked about earlier, but has anyone mentioned this badboy yet;

:hmmyes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I love any ship where the artist clearly thought "gently caress, this is a penis" and began adding elements to reduce the phallic quality but it keeps getting dickier

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This is an incredible thread about Red Dwarf set design

https://twitter.com/mr_clark/status/1248371017203974145?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Grissom class light science vessel. Obviously the endgame version of the venerable Oberth class and can be kitbashed with it (or just replaced with the classic Oberth skin), but is actually based on a discarded concept art for the USS Voyager.

Can you get another angle on this because I have no idea what's going on with the... saucer? It's making my brain hurt

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I owned and loved this starship::

But there was a lot to be said for this little stocking-stuffer I got:

awwww

Hell yeah Lego Space, I had this bad boy which was incredible. The little cell at the back of the craft could detatch, it had lights and sounds, the cockpit was rad as hell (transparent red!) and best of all you could take off the POLICE bits and have the way cooler Blacktron dude drive it around, because gently caress the Space Police.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I very deliberately set out to have all my ships in No Man's Sky be white and purple.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Have they just started putting prequel ships into the game?
The ships are all generated using pre existing parts for each ship class, some of which are obviously based (and even named after) ships from various sci-fi franchises. So my metallic purple and white fighter is "Stubby chassis, single engine, heavy and tie auxiliary parts"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I never got far enough in NMS to get a new ship.

You can get a freighter (the big capital ships) pretty much as soon as you get hyperdrive working. Every time you jump to a new system there's a chance you'll turn up mid space-battle, and if you destroy all the pirates you get offered a freighter. Unlike every other ship in the game, freighters can be painted whatever color(s) you want, though you have to unlock each paint color separately.

Freighters also let you store multiple ships, so if you find a crashed one you can add it to your collection and repair it slowly rather than just swapping it with your functional starter ship (and leaving yourself stranded). You can find crashed ships using a Signal Booster.

Crashed ships are usually a bit poo poo tho, even after repair, you can buy fancier ones from their pilots at Space Stations, but they're pretty expensive. If you're after a specific look/style of ship, there's a whole subreddit dedicated to where to find them, though to get to the coordinates you'll need to power up a portal which is a whole other ballache.

Also sometimes the ship generator throws up things like this:

Roomy!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah I think it just about works as a droid controlled TIE variant but large fighter-jet style cockpits are a staple of the smaller Star Wars ships.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That trowel-head shape at the front got around, though. Voyager, Prometheus, hell even seaQuest went in on it:

SeaQuest was obviously meant to resemble a squid, I don't think they're drawing on Voyager influences.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vernii posted:

It would make sense if atmospheric limitations for ST ships were due to subspace/warp field interactions with planetary atmospheres and surfaces rather than a limitation in the ship's capabilities. I can't imagine something that distorts spacetime to go fast would do anything nice to a planet.

I'm pretty sure "don't go to warp near a planet" is a ST rule (that's probably been broken a few times)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

imagine not watching a sci-fi show because it looks bad, every british show ever made immediately hits zero viewers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Plenty of people don't watch shows because it looks bad. It's a visual medium. It's literally one of the biggest criteria.

look pal, I want my alien planets to be blatantly quarries, I want my sets wobbly, my aliens made of bubble wrap, and I want my actors Shakespearean.

Now check out this bad boy, the Liberator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG24v6djlec

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I want to like Blake's 7 so bad, but I look at it and I can't suspend my disbelief. It looks too cheesy.

It is extremely bad in a lot of ways but it is also extremely camp and the dialogue is whip-sharp. You just have to treat it like a stage play.

Also there's one writer that is massively sexist, they only wrote like 3 episodes over the entire series but they're very obvious when they turn up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This is just One-One from Infinity Train

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Expo70 posted:

I can see this being a deliberate tactic to gently caress with the ability of your enemy to properly determine your range if certain range-finding techniques aren't able to function reliably due to hull design characteristics.

More spacecraft should have Dazzle Camo

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 21, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

They are just huge mirrored sausages i think

That's what they look like from the outside. From the inside they've been described as a large central mass topped with a park, with an outrigger structure on each side. Later GSVs are more like multiple floating islands within the same field enclosure.

The largest GSV (system class) had a field enclosure 200km long. Plate class, ~53km.

They're big.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

There's another class of ship that's just a giant tree floating in space with engines and forcefield generators glonked on
That reminds me of this bit from Surface Detail

Iain M. Banks in Surface Detail posted:

It was a truism that as a scientific society progressed, its ships gradually ceased to be strictly utilitarian designs in which almost every part was in some way vital to the running of the craft. Normally they went through an intermediate stage where the overall conception was still limited by the necessities imposed by the environment in which the vessels travelled but within which there was considerable opportunity for the designers, crew, and passengers/inhabitants to fashion them pretty much as they pleased before - usually some centuries after the gross vulgarity of rocket power - simple space travel become so mature a technology it was almost trivial. At this point, practically anything not messily joined to lots of other important stuff could quite easily be turned into a space-capable craft able to transport humans - or any other species spectacularly maladapted to hard vacuum and the somewhat industrial radiation environment generally associated with it - to (at the very least) different parts of the same stellar system.

A stand-alone building was almost laughably easy to convert; a bit of strengthening and rigidising, some only semi-scrupulous sealant work, throw a gel coat over the whole thing as well just to be doubly sure, strap on an engine unit or two somewhere, and you were away. In the Culture, you could even dispense with sensory and navigation systems; stay within a light year or two of the nearest Orbital and you could navigate with your own neural lace, even an antique pen terminal. It was DIY space travel, and people did exactly that, though - always to the surprise of those just on the brink of contributing to the relevant statistics - the results made it one of the more dangerous hobbies pursued with any enthusiasm within the Culture.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

As usual with anime,Ako would be far better without the weird sexualised stuff.

Also in a blink and you'll miss it moment it turns out she's the daughter of superman and wonderwoman.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think there's room for both, and I like the idea that the continuous beam weapons are The Big Guns, like there's a bunch of little pew pew pew lasers then suddenly WAMMMMMMMMMMMMM as a cutting beam fires

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well it's all part of the combat metaphor in the shows that are following one.

Yeah I'm aware, but also you can update the naval combat metaphor where the pew pew pew are modern anti-aircraft rapid firing guns and the steady beams are heavier broadside cannons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sensors and cameras can always fail or go buggy or get blocked, so it's important to have simple fallbacks.

Space battles would be fought at inhuman distances and speeds, looking out the window isn't going to help.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now you're just arguing about what made-up science you want to apply.

Not really. All your guns are going to be computer targeted anyway, what are you going to to, aim them by eye by squinting out the window? If your sensors are blind you're pretty hosed, windows or not.

EDIT: Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It always seemed a little odd to me that a full half of the cylinder interior surface would be unusable thanks to being windows, I feel like there has to be a more efficient design.

A lot of concepts use mirrors to direct sunlight into the interior of the cylinder, which is why you need the windows.

Seems extremely dangerous though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Linux Pirate posted:

I also thought huge windows in space is a bad idea if not impossible to do.

If you've got Future Engineering you can probably manufacture them out of sheets of diamond, it's just carbon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Have a bunch of Star Control ships. They're very wacky and varied. Taken from the Pages of Now and Forever.

I think this one just got hewn from a chunk of rock or asteroid (maybe a piece of a destroyed planet) and an engine installed.

People get hung up on the whole extradimensional horror aspect of the Orz that they often forget about the actual gameplay gimmicks, which don't have anything to do with the lore. A rotating turret and marines in mech suits.

ThEy CoMe In PeAcE

I think one of the less gimmicky concepts for a design. This thing is just a nice chunky bit of machine. It's got a normal forward firing weapon, but also a boost that leaves a damaging firey trail like a tronbike. Maybe they're supposed to be like musclecars.

Weird stuff from some weird, silly aliens. Very hard to use too.

A pretty standard looking ship from some Very Ugly aliens. Their main gimmick is the limpets clinging to enemy ships to slow them down.

Frungy!

What, no Syreen Penetrator?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I'm sure the game is fun and cool that you enjoy it but every time I see screen shots for it, I'm so absolutely put off by that art style that I'm like "I couldn't play that".

I have extremely fond memories of playing the two-player combat mode of Star Control 2, it's a neat little top-down sprite-based spaceship fight game where you choose a roster of ships which are then matched up 1v1 against your opponent's, with winner staying on but not repairing between rounds. All the spaceships have different abilities and weapons which make some matchups hilarious. Trying to take out a heavily armed but slow moving drednaught using a tiny little teleporting saucer armed with short-range lasers but immune to inertia and gravity is a lot of fun.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cerv posted:

I loved this one but even as a child it bothered me that the cell pod just had laser cage bars instead of anything solid. blacktron may be criminals but they still have human rights and we shouldn't transport them exposed to vacuum. put a solid door on that.

Just lol if you didn't immediately throw the Space Cop in there and let the cool Blacktron guy drive.

Also tbh the Peacekeeper was a better set just because of how swooshable it was. I made a digital version and some variants the other day out of pure nostalgia.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This is all stuff that's not really stated explicitly on screen but when you watch enough Trek and see different shapes in different roles you kinda internalise it and can see a ship and automatically recognise its rough role without knowing why.

This is pretty neat, and when you apply it to the Cali class you get "lovely little ship that's designed to operate way out in the frontier"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

tadashi posted:

I wouldn't mind more Warhammer 40k ships in my life but I don't know where to begin.

Technically these are 30K ships

Closer on the Tribune

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

I loved this ship so much as a kid, I'd literally have dreams about flying it.

I was freaked out by the idea that I could be abducted by aliens and not know it until I realised that I'd missed decades due to time dilation

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also a lot of lighthuggers are coated in ice as additional shielding against radiation and micro-impacts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Gimme a show just about exploring a Dyson sphere. Or a matrioska brain, whatever. Kinda strange I can't think of one, actually -- the more I think about it the better it sounds. Wasn't firefly in some sort of weird giant singular star system? Or that one Stross short story where earth gets dumped on a flat plane with other earths around (it doesn't go well.)

A non creepy version of Ringworld would be pretty cool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"..because they might be splattered with poo poo"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Trek had a nice little ring the other day: Corazonia, an Orbital-like megastructure with an artificial star at the centre, looked after by a benevolent AI (Vexilon) which provides a utopia to its people. Relatively small as these things go, though. Built by aliens six million years ago who subsequently evolved into five-dimensional energy beings and vanished, but is happy to play host to new inhabitants.

Easily the most Culture thing ever put into Star Trek, I loved it :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Culture orbitals are rotating rings with the circumference of a planet, orbiting a star edge-on, and with a slight tilt. Night is when your part of the ring is facing away from the star. This also means that there's always a bright line bisecting the night sky - the far side of the orbital in daylight

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

redleader posted:

but have they invented the core Culture technology of extremely smug and vastly powerful AI?

The Federation is really AI shy because they keep running into evil computers and hegemonizing swarms. It takes until the far future of Discovery for them to accept a full AI ship.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Even the Culture learned that - the really big GSVs often have smaller ones hanging out inside their fields, not to mention any OUs along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Iain M. Banks: Surface Detail posted:

"The Abominator class of General Offensive Unit, to which our friend belongs, is not known for its mildness or sociability. Probably specced when the Culture was going through one of its periods of feeling that nobody was taking it seriously because it was somehow too nice. Even amongst those, though, that particular ship is known as something of an outlier. Most SC ships conceal their claws and keep the psychopathy switched to Full Off except when it’s judged to be absolutely necessary."

Iain M. Banks: Excession posted:

"It looks," she snorted, "like a dildo!"
"That's appropriate," Churt Lyne said. "Armed, it can gently caress solar systems."

Iain M. Banks: Use of Weapns posted:

"Xeny; you are a million-tonne starship; a Torturer-class Rapid Offensive Unit. Even—"
"But I'm demilitarised!"
"Even without your principal armament, I bet you could waste planets if you wanted to—"
"Aw, come on; any silly GCU can do that!"